Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you trade

12isthenew18

just to clarify, we'd be trading a 2015 1st round pick for a 2014 2nd and high 3rd?  Depending on who's still on the board I would absolutely do it.  However San Fran is about the only team we'd have a chance of getting a 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick from and the 2nd round pick would be at the very end of the 2nd round.  There could still be some incredibly talented players left at the bottom of the 2nd though so that's why I say I would do it depending on who's still on the board.

just to clarify, we'd be trading a 2015 1st round pick for a 2014 2nd and high 3rd?  Depending on who's still on the board I would absolutely do it.  However San Fran is about the only team we'd have a chance of getting a 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick from and the 2nd round pick would be at the very end of the 2nd round.  There could still be some incredibly talented players left at the bottom of the 2nd though so that's why I say I would do it depending on who's still on the board.

I thought he meant a top 10, a 3rd, and a 2nd...but that would be silly...I am a tad confused.

No.  We need to quit this trading of picks and go into the draft next year with a full compliment of draft picks.  

No no no no no.  

NO

Where would we have been if in 2011 for some reason we had decided to trade away our 2012 first rounder??

No. We need to quit this trading of picks and go into the draft next year with a full compliment of draft picks.

No no no no no.

NO

Where would we have been if in 2011 for some reason we had decided to trade away our 2012 first rounder??

We were still in the Polian era in 2011 so a trade was highly unlikely at that point sooo yeah :thmup:

good lord, please, let me pur an (A) in the sentence for you between for and top.

Our 2015 1st For A top 10 3rd and for A top ten 2nd.

I thought he might mean a top 10 as a 1st round...buzz off....

I am not a grammar nazi on here.  I make plenty of mistakes.  I am merely asking what the man meant.

You know me better than that...maybe not.

good lord, please, let me pur an (A) in the sentence for you between for and top.

Our 2015 1st For A top 10 3rd and for A top ten 2nd.

If that's what he meant (and I don't think it is) then he's nuts.  There's no way a future first round pick is going to get us a top 10 pick in the 2nd round by itself, let alone that plus a top 10 pick in the 3rd round.  

No... We need a first round in either this year or next year...

But I wouldn't mind trading a 3rd or 4th rounder next year for some picks in this years draft.

but in this deep draft, it's entirely possible we could still get a player with first round talent in the 2nd round.  If that's the case, then why does it matter if we get a first round talent player next year or go ahead and get him this year?

i would do it, but considering that we are likely to be in the late 1st round next year it is very unlikely to find anyone willing to do such a trade, if we were the Raiders say who consistantly pick in the top 10 i would say we would have a good shot.

If we got both a 2nd and 3rd I think we'd have to highly consider it. Usually you get that back in a trade down from a late 1st anyways.

If San Fran or another team with many picks were open to doing this, I'd pull the trigger if there were still players we were targeting available.

but in this deep draft, it's entirely possible we could still get a player with first round talent in the 2nd round. If that's the case, then why does it matter if we get a first round talent player next year or go ahead and get him this year?

Well this draft is pretty deep like you said so I think you could get really good guys in rounds 3 and possibly 4 also.. Next years might not be so deep so why give up our 1st rounder when we can get some good players this year and a great one with our first pick next year?

No. I wouldn't trade next year's first rounder, period. Especially not for that return.

The only -- ONLY -- way I'd trade next year's first rounder would be in a combo with this year's 2nd, to get into the top 20 of this year's draft. And it would have to be for a player like Clinton-Dix (who probably is a top 12-15 player).

The Only Trade I'd be interested in is the one that gets us more Picks in this draft...  So that means trading down.  I would hate for us to reach on a player if the "the guy" isn't there at #59.  Plus Looking at our starters, I really like what I see.  obviously without bethea leaves us a little bare in the safety position (what I wouldn't give to have john Boyett back right now), but Joe Reitz coming back really helps our depth on the Oline already.  Unless theres a surefire starter at 59 to take, then I say trade down and get more picks.  And I might be the only one here to say this, but if one of the top QB's falls to us at 59, why not take him??  Trade Bait down the road, and a quality back up for after Hasselbeck retires this year??  I mean we all know what happens when you don't have a quality back up.  You get Curtis Painter stinking up the feild...  none of us want that (again).

No. I wouldn't trade next year's first rounder, period. Especially not for that return.

The only -- ONLY -- way I'd trade next year's first rounder would be in a combo with this year's 2nd, to get into the top 20 of this year's draft. And it would have to be for a player like Clinton-Dix (who probably is a top 12-15 player).

Eh; I'm losing interest in Alabama players rapidly

Hundreds get drafted in the 1st round- 3rd round simply off the school's name, only a handful are actually doing something in the NFL to this day. The rest are in the NFL, but irrelevant

This trade wouldn't happen.

No team is going to give up a 2 and a 3 this year for a 1 next year.

The values don't match up.       So, it's a pipe dream all the way around.

Would I do it if some team was dumb enough to do it?  

I don't know, but I'd certainly consider it.........        but, like I said,  not going to happen.......

I'd trade our 2014 2nd and 3rd round picks and our 2015 1st round pick for a 2014 top 10 pick and draft Khalil Mack.

Then our 2015 2nd and 6th round picks for a 2014 mid 2nd round pick and take Deone Bucannon.

Neither trade is realistic.     No team would do the deals you propose.     The Colts aren't trading enough to giving up enough to move far enough.       And it's not even close.......

There's a draft pick points trade value charts on the draft/free agency page, that explains these things....

The point values for the two teams have to be nearly the same....   certainly close.

But neither of your proposed trades offers that.     I just took a quick peek....   by the points chart, your attempt get the Colts to the top-10 falls way short.    With your offer,  we'd get to roughly pick 23.    That's it.

A long way from from the top-10, and not close enough for Mack who is likely to go in the top-5.

Your offer of a future 2 and 6 is viewed as a 3 and 7, because they're a year away.   So no team trades a current 2 for a future 2 and 6.      There's no incentive to.

Sorry to be the buzz kill guy.....    just wanted to explain how NFL teams view these trades....

I'd trade a 2015 first + this years 2nd to get back late into the first and take Jimmie Ward. 

Any truth to my/uh the rumour there may have been a wink deal that if Cleveland drafted there QB of the future with our Pick they would owe us a big one and we will call in that wink and trade them our 2015 1st for this years 35th pick and a...., and that we would draft Ward?

I just happened to look at him again this a.m. and gotta say he is growun on me. lol

Nope, i am tired of giving away our future picks.

I tend to agree. We keep trading high draft picks only hurts us over the future drafts. We might find a player in the 2nd or 3rd round player who could make the roster but then next year we miss out on a truly impact player. The rookie cap for 1st round players was put into place so a team could afford a 1st round player.

This trade wouldn't happen.

No team is going to give up a 2 and a 3 this year for a 1 next year.

The values don't match up.       So, it's a pipe dream all the way around.

Would I do it if some team was dumb enough to do it?  

I don't know, but I'd certainly consider it.........        but, like I said,  not going to happen.......

In your scenario:

Our 2015

at the same slotting as this years which, would you agree is reasonable in a next year slotting? is worth 700 points

SF this year has the

56th worth 340

77th worth 205

Based on points it is Conceivable they might do this. Just sayin'.

Just for fun now,

If say we loved Attaochu/? and he was still there at 56, our guys are Giddy and want to get him. So SF makes the trade.

Then they get another guy they really want at 59. Yippy!

I have looked at a number of Mocks and there ARE some Juicy guys projected around that 77 spot that are not likely there at our 90. So we get to cha-ching on another guy we really want. This reasonably could be a guy whose grade would have put him in last years or nexts, late 2nd-very early 3rd. Nice!

We still have our 90 to add a very good prospect to fill in where we have yet to add.

These Rookies could, All be starters/great depth by next year, when we are going to be more Experienced and a very Nasty SB Contender.

It works for me.

Eh; I'm losing interest in Alabama players rapidly

Hundreds get drafted in the 1st round- 3rd round simply off the school's name, only a handful are actually doing something in the NFL to this day. The rest are in the NFL, but irrelevant

I don't think it makes any sense to decide what you think about a player based on the school he goes to. You look at how each player performs on the field and make determinations from there. I don't care if every other Alabama player is a complete bust (which they're not; there are plenty of good Alabama players in the NFL right now), all that matters is the player being considered.

I tend to agree. We keep trading high draft picks only hurts us over the future drafts. We might find a player in the 2nd or 3rd round player who could make the roster but then next year we miss out on a truly impact player. The rookie cap for 1st round players was put into place so a team could afford a 1st round player.

About 1/3 of 1st round picks wouldn`t be taken in the 1st in a redraft. Do you think the odds for missing increase a good deal when you draft in the last 10 where we are very likely to?

If i get the flavor of This draft, it is considered to be deep, almost a whole round deeper.

In other words, a guy picked at 25 in this years 3rd could have a grade that might put him in the late 2nd or early 3rd in the

next or a typical years draft. Something GM`s surely are considering.

In this DEEP draft IMO Noone is drafting guys in the 2nd or 3rd to "Make the Roster".

These guys are Expected to be Good to Quality future starters.

We might draft a guy in your late 1st who is VG, or a _____ . I won`t list the lengthy list of fairly recent Colts 1st rounders who were NOT MUCH.

In your scenario:

Our 2015

at the same slotting as this years which, would you agree is reasonable in a next year slotting? is worth 700 points

SF this year has the

56th worth 340

77th worth 205

Based on points it is Conceivable they might do this. Just sayin'.

Just for fun now,

If say we loved Attaochu/? and he was still there at 56, our guys are Giddy and want to get him. So SF makes the trade.

Then they get another guy they really want at 59. Yippy!

I have looked at a number of Mocks and there ARE some Juicy guys projected around that 77 spot that are not likely there at our 90. So we get to cha-ching on another guy we really want. This reasonably could be a guy whose grade would have put him in last years or nexts, late 2nd-very early 3rd. Nice!

We still have our 90 to add a very good prospect to fill in where we have yet to add.

These Rookies could, All be starters/great depth by next year, when we are going to be more Experienced and a very Nasty SB Contender.

It works for me.

BBS...

Look at the sentence I put into bold italics...

I'm not saying that.

Our 2015 first round pick is worth the points for our 2014 2nd round pick.    So, the 1st round pick is worth the 310 points our 2nd round pick of this year is worth.    The reason?    The team getting our '15 first round pick has to wait a year to cash in.   So it doesn't have the same value.    The NFL rule of thumb is a future pick is worth one round less.

So, a 2015 first round pick = a 2014 2nd round pick.

A 2015 2nd round pick = a 2014 3rd round pick.....    and so on.

That's why the points don't match up.

Hope that clarifies......

the point is that in THIS draft in particular, there could easily still be impact players available in the middle to later 2nd round.  If that is the case and we could get a team, like for example San Fran, to trade a very late 2nd and still get a 3rd or 4th along with it, then we'd still be getting a first round quality impact player plus an additional pick.  It's not a likely scenario but if we were lucky enough to find ourselves in that position then I would be willing to consider pulling the trigger.