Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draftniks aware me. Where is Lamarcus Joyner's draft position?

Walterfootball has him going in the 3rd round to the Chargers just before us.

We ended up with Stanley Jean-Baptiste and I am fine with that but, something tells me that Joyner would make a name for himself as part of the Colts.

Maybe it is just me getting excited with the draft around the corner but, I can't help but think he is where its at for us.

So, tell me, Where is he slated to go?

I think I have him in the mid-2nd round...   but would not be surprised at all if he goes late 2 or even into the 3rd round.

First, it's the size,  2nd, he doesn't quite have elite Q/A to make up for his lack of size......   he has other great qualities which is why I still think he'll go in the 2nd round....

But, in a draft deep with Corners,  he could fall to the 3rd......

I think I have him in the mid-2nd round...   but would not be surprised at all if he goes late 2 or even into the 3rd round.

First, it's the size,  2nd, he doesn't quite have elite Q/A to make up for his lack of size......   he has other great qualities which is why I still think he'll go in the 2nd round....

But, in a draft deep with Corners,  he could fall to the 3rd......

Q/A?  My mind keeps reading that as question and answer that I don't know what you mean.  Do you mean quickness and athleticism?  If so, I agree.  I think he's an overrated prospect, but a lot of people seem to like him.  I do'nt even know that I'd take him with our 3rd round pick.  I do like his instincts and ability to quickly diagnose, but for me, that alone just doesn't make him a 2nd round prospect.

Q/A?  My mind keeps reading that as question and answer that I don't know what you mean.  Do you mean quickness and athleticism?  If so, I agree.  I think he's an overrated prospect, but a lot of people seem to like him.  I do'nt even know that I'd take him with our 3rd round pick.  I do like his instincts and ability to quickly diagnose, but for me, that alone just doesn't make him a 2nd round prospect.

I've warned up to him recently but I don't prefer him over a guy like Buccannon or Ward. He has play making potential though. Tyrann Mathiue was an undersized guys as well. Only thing is I don't think Joyner is as athletic and speedy as Mathieu was coming out.

Has anyone actually watched many Nebraska games or watched any film on SJB?

I read something on him the other day on him where it mentioned his film was "ordinary" and that the hype around him is mainly regarding his size and not so much his level of play.

I am just curious what anyone else may have seen in him besides just looking at his combine numbers.

I read something on him the other day on him where it mentioned his film was "ordinary" and that the hype around him is mainly regarding his size and not so much his level of play.

I am just curious what anyone else may have seen in him besides just looking at his combine numbers.

I'm not a huge fan personally. He's pretty stiff and doesn't have much top end speed. Not to mention that at the start of the season he's going to be 24.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see him moved to S in the pros. 

You can see where he needs refinement when you watch. Not great against the run and not a great tackler. Of the bigger corners, I think McGill is better. If you want big corners though, Phillip Gaines is 6'0 and runs a 4.37.

I've warned up to him recently but I don't prefer him over a guy like Buccannon or Ward. He has play making potential though. Tyrann Mathiue was an undersized guys as well. Only thing is I don't think Joyner is as athletic and speedy as Mathieu was coming out.

Yeah, at #59, there's bound to be at least a handful of other guys I'd rather have.  I'm still holding out on the hope that Jason Verrett slips due to his surgery.  If there's a surprise potential 1st round talent that slips down to us, I think Verrett has a shot.  It may be unrealistic, but guys have slipped further in the draft for less.

You can see where he needs refinement when you watch. Not great against the run and not a great tackler. Of the bigger corners, I think McGill is better. If you want big corners though, Phillip Gaines is 6'0 and runs a 4.37.

I'm not really sure how he rose up the draft boards all the sudden from a 5th round prospect to a 2nd.  I always liked him as a 5th round pick based on measurables alone, but I need to watch more film on him..  To my understanding, he's a better zone corner than man.

I'm not really sure how he rose up the draft boards all the sudden from a 5th round prospect to a 2nd.  I always liked him as a 5th round pick based on measurables alone, but I need to watch more film on him..  To my understanding, he's a better zone corner than man.

That's it exactly. A lot of his plays were made in zone. A lot of plays he was 5 or so yards ahead of his guy and used his size+long arms to make a play. He either plays behind or ahead of his man. He doesn't stay with the guy. McGill pretty much shadows his guy. even if he's running up the side line, he's running in stride with them. That would make Baptiste a better safety/hybrid corner prospect in the NFL.

Yes,  Q/A + Quickness and Athleticism.

Sorry.    I only used it because I thought it was commonly known.    

I'll spell it out....   not a problem.

For what it's worth,  another of the NFL Network's draft guys -- Bucky Brooks -- projects the Colts to take Joyner at 59.

Now, Werner came from Florida State last year, so we certainly know the program.    If we take him,  I'm on board with the guy.

My hunch is that he's too small for our liking....   but I certainly like most every write-up I've seen on him....

Seems like a mid-late 2nd round guy.    I just don't know where......

I'm not a huge fan personally. He's pretty stiff and doesn't have much top end speed. Not to mention that at the start of the season he's going to be 24.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see him moved to S in the pros.

Yea he even said it himself that teams already talked to him about playing safety but said they would give him a fair shot at corner

FoxSports1 NFL reporter tweeted it out last week.

@alexmarvez: Nebraska CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste says interested teams spoke with him about potentially playing safety but will give him shot at CB 1st

Ward > Joyner > Buccannon imo

Yea he even said it himself that teams already talked to him about playing safety but said they would give him a fair shot at corner

FoxSports1 NFL reporter tweeted it out last week.

@alexmarvez: Nebraska CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste says interested teams spoke with him about potentially playing safety but will give him shot at CB 1st

Talking about SJB, If Joyner had Jean-Baptiste size. He would be the first DB drafted.

Ward > Joyner > Buccannon imo

I've got Buccannon ahead of Joyner. But I'm hoping teams have it Bucannon>Ward>Joyner so that Ward falls to us. The best scenario is to hope the 2 first round safeties (Clinton-Dix and Pryor) go a lot lower than expected.

Bucannon is underrated on this board. I realize that most WSU games started at 11pm Indy. I would love to have Bucannon but I think we would have to trade up to make it happen.

After Ha Ha Pryor Bucannon and Ward there is a huge fall off at S.