Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Only two teams with less than 7 wins

MrNLM

These are predictions written by the ESPN beat writer for each team.

No beat writer wants to write that the team they're covering is going to have a terrible season.   That only upsets the fans and makes them want to NOT read the beat writers work.    Too negative!

7 wins means you don't have double-digit losses.  

Don't read too much into this.....    it is what it is,  but it's just a one-night prediction when the writers themselves really don't want to make predictions now....    we haven't had the draft....     we haven't had the pre-season....   

The writers don't want to do this until the first week of September when they HAVE to make a prediction....

No beat writer wants to write that the team they're covering is going to have a terrible season.   That only upsets the fans and makes them want to NOT read the beat writers work.    Too negative!

Don't read too much into this.....    it is what it is,  but it's just a one-night prediction when the writers themselves really don't want to make predictions now....    we haven't had the draft....     we haven't had the pre-season....   

The writers don't want to do this until the first week of September when they HAVE to make a prediction....

TIL that Browns and Raiders beat writers hate their fans and want the whole world to know about it.

You cannot take ESPN seriously.

They are the network who tried to convince everyone Tebow was the greatest thing ever, if you remember.

Not only is that wrong,  it's spectacularly wrong.

It's not even remotely close.

They covered Tebow morning, noon and night....    no doubt about it.

The reason?      There was tremendous fan interest.    In other words,  ratings.

And the only person at ESPN who thought Tebow was great............    was Skip Bayless.

Sorry,  but anyone not paying attention to ESPN is an ill-informed sports fan.

The reason?      There was tremendous fan interest.    In other words,  ratings.

And the only person at ESPN who thought Tebow was great............    was Skip Bayless.

Try telling that to all the gamblers in Vegas that do not use ESPN yet tend to hit the numbers a lot better than their "experts" do (Experts as in washed up players that were not any good to begin with ala Trent Dilfer and Merrill Hoge. The gambling crowd of sports never takes ESPN seriously. You want to talk ill-informed sports fans, you can't get any worse than this when they followed Brett Favre around during the off season of 2010 to remind you that he was at a high school practicing or what LeBron James likes to eat for breakfast.

And who do you think created that fan interest in Tebow? If it weren't for ESPN bowing down and worshiping him like a piece of gold, do you really believe anyone would have bought his jerseys or been so obsessed with him? ESPN not only had to convince us that he was a great player, but no one was allowed to criticize him without having to shove in that "but he's a good kid!" comment in there.

ESPN is a joke. I haven't watched them in over 3 years. The internet has become the greatest source for news. Weather it be sports news, unbiased world news (including the news that the mainstream outlets don't cover) or something that you find interesting, it's always a hundred times better than what you see on the teletube.

Try telling that to all the gamblers in Vegas that do not use ESPN yet tend to hit the numbers a lot better than their "experts" do (Experts as in washed up players that were not any good to begin with ala Trent Dilfer and Merrill Hoge. The gambling crowd of sports never takes ESPN seriously. You want to talk ill-informed sports fans, you can't get any worse than this when they followed Brett Favre around during the off season of 2010 to remind you that he was at a high school practicing or what LeBron James likes to eat for breakfast.

And who do you think created that fan interest in Tebow? If it weren't for ESPN bowing down and worshiping him like a piece of gold, do you really believe anyone would have bought his jerseys or been so obsessed with him? ESPN not only had to convince us that he was a great player, but no one was allowed to criticize him without having to shove in that "but he's a good kid!" comment in there.

ESPN is a joke. I haven't watched them in over 3 years. The internet has become the greatest source for news. Weather it be sports news, unbiased world news (including the news that the mainstream outlets don't cover) or something that you find interesting, it's always a hundred times better than what you see on the teletube.

Sure the "Internet" is completely unbiased and always truthful and never sensationalizes anyone.

this whole paragraph I agree with. I think I'm going on something like 10-12 years not having watched ESPN aside from live game broadcasts. Lot of superior sources out there if you know where to look.

Other than the obvious teams no one really knows who will do what. Last seasons predictors had the Colts going 8-8 with the Texans going 12-4. Most had the Broncos winning the super bowl. Seems like there are always 5 teams who the so called experts will do great while there are 5 who don't. All of us can give our opinions but there are way too many variables to factor in the finale results. Injuries, bad ref calls that could cost a game and turnovers all play factors. We have all witnessed a game won or lost on a finale play of a game. You are 100% correct in saying not to put too much in all of this. Predictions are a gamble at best.

So.....

You say that ESPN isn't good because gamblers don't pay attention to it.

Thanks.     I could care less what gamblers think.    No one knows sports worse than gamblers.    They've got too much invested in it to be objective.

You also say ESPN isn't good because they use former athletes that weren't any good as players.    Like that matters!

Just like great players rarely make great coaches,  same with analysts.   You don't need a great player to explain to you how teams won and lost.    You need people who used to play that know how to communicate.    And that's what ESPN tries to hire.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here.    We don't just disagree a little here....  we're on the opposite side of the planet from one another.

Good luck........

Sure the "Internet" is completely unbiased and always truthful and never sensationalizes anyone.

No but......on the internet you have the personal power to search and look for things you would not normally find in the pre-determined agenda filled mainstream media like ESPN and general "news" stations that use the same tired material all the time with obvious bias.

No but......on the internet you have the personal power to search and look for things you would not normally find in the pre-determined agenda filled mainstream media like ESPN and general "news" stations that use the same tired material all the time with obvious bias.

Nothing on the Internet is unadulterated.

Nothing on the Internet is unadulterated.

Facts are facts though and can be found. And often mainstream news presents news that sells things other then facts. I look at a lot of news like I do message forums at times too, it's a sharing of opinions and views but not necessarily factual because views will often be slanted.

My name is buccolts, and I'm an ill-informed sports fan.

The ESPNs have a few good shows, but for the most part I cringe anytime I watch any of their opinion shows, or sportscenter.

It's mainly their on air personalities, and how they present things.

If I could black out the picture, mute the sound, and still put it on closed caption, perhaps it'd be O.K.

My name is buccolts, and I'm an ill-informed sports fan.

The ESPNs have a few good shows, but for the most part I cringe anytime I watch any of their opinion shows, or sportscenter.

It's mainly their on air personalities, and how they present things.

If I could black out the picture, mute the sound, and still put it on closed caption, perhaps it'd be O.K.

Opinion shows are only a small part of what ESPN does.

Otherwise,  they have SportsCenter and shows that focus on the Big Three,  football, baseball, basketball.

There's lot of knowledge to be gained from watching them.    You don't have to watch a single opinion show to get some good 411 about the world of sports.

Or not.    Entirely up to you..........

Look.....   I have no dog in this fight....   I've never worked for ESPN and I'm not likely too at this point of my life.     But I spent 30 years in the media, so I think I've got a pretty good idea of good information and not so good...

When I offer an opinion or a recommendation, I'm not trying to insult anyone (though I probably failed in this case...)    I'm trying to help my friends here be more informed about the NFL.

Again.....   your choice....

Opinion shows are only a small part of what ESPN does.

Otherwise,  they have SportsCenter and shows that focus on the Big Three,  football, baseball, basketball.

There's lot of knowledge to be gained from watching them.    You don't have to watch a single opinion show to get some good 411 about the world of sports.

Or not.    Entirely up to you..........

Look.....   I have no dog in this fight....   I've never worked for ESPN and I'm not likely too at this point of my life.     But I spent 30 years in the media, so I think I've got a pretty good idea of good information and not so good...

When I offer an opinion or a recommendation, I'm not trying to insult anyone (though I probably failed in this case...)    I'm trying to help my friends here be more informed about the NFL.

Again.....   your choice....

Much of my reply was simply sarcasm.

Information wise, I'm sure they're still fine, and I do catch some of their documentaries, behind the lines, etc. and enjoy those.

I won't watch their opinion shows. Heck, I don't watch many opinion shows at all. I don't find myself entertained by the obvious 'take a side just so we can differ' skits.

SportsCenter? I'm not fond of their presentation, and I really do cringe at some of their talent. Stewart Scott being a great example, and Boomer's up there, as well. I don't know when to expect they'll be on, so I don't watch altogether.

But, that's just my taste.

Much of my reply was simply sarcasm.

Information wise, I'm sure they're still fine, and I do catch some of their documentaries, behind the lines, etc. and enjoy those.

I won't watch their opinion shows. Heck, I don't watch many opinion shows at all. I don't find myself entertained by the obvious 'take a side just so we can differ' skits.

SportsCenter? I'm not fond of their presentation, and I really do cringe at some of their talent. Stewart Scott being a great example, and Boomer's up there, as well. I don't know when to expect they'll be on, so I don't watch altogether.

But, that's just my taste.

I think we agree far more than we disagree.    I don't watch the opinion shows much either.

And if it helps,  Stewart Scott and Chris Berman rarely anchor a SportsCenter anymore.    Boomer does NFL stuff in the fall and winter and a few other major events,  but SC's are almost beneath him.     Scott is more event host than anything else.   He does more SportCenters than Berman,  but still not that much altogether.    I think Scott is working less these days because I think he's battling a recurring illness.    But even when he's healthy, he doesn't do many SC's.... 

I don't know if this is good news for you....   but, perhaps it'll make you reconsider......