Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Best Case Scenario Draft for Colts

With this draft, we trade our 2015 1st to Arizona for their 2nd, 3rd round picks. I was able to also swing a 4th out of them, but more realistically we would have to make another trade to get that. So I have us trading RB Vick Ballard for a mid 4th.

With this draft, we are loaded at WR this year, and Robinson is young at 20 years of age, and can be a #1 WR for us once Wayne retires. Plus Nicks is no guarantee to be back next offseason. Our secondary is much improved with Bucannon, Reynolds, and Huff. Not to mention our pass rash is vastly improved getting both Attaochu and Smith, which I admit is probably a little unrealistic that they are both available late in the 3rd, but one can dream.

Round 2 Pick 20 (ARI): Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State (A)
Round 2 Pick 27: Deone Bucannon, SS, Washington State (A)
Round 3 Pick 20 (ARI): Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech (A)
Round 3 Pick 26: Marcus Smith, DE, Louisville (A)
Round 4 Pick 19 (DAL): Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State (A)
Round 5 Pick 26: Marqueston Huff, FS, Wyoming (C+)
Round 6 Pick 27: Deandre Coleman, DT, California (B+)
Round 7 Pick 17: Rajion Neal, RB, Tennessee (A)

Areas on team with most talent after draft (WR, OLB)

If we're going to draft a receiver, I don't want it to be in the second round. And if we do draft a receiver in the second round, I wouldn't want it to be Robinson. If you're going to go this route and prioritize WR, go ahead and get Jordan Matthews. 

I can see rationalizing a WR high in this draft (Nicks is on a one year deal, Wayne's deal expires and he's coming back from knee surgery, etc.), though I don't agree with it. But I'm not a fan of Robinson.

People need to learn to be patient. They want every good prospect now instead of being reminded that there is a draft next year. I'm not for jumping the gun just because. No trading away a first round pick

I don't mind trading away a third or a fourth, but it hurts being without one of your top 64 picks, like we've been the last two seasons.

When you're trading future picks in the real world,  here's the rule of thumb....

Trading a future pick is like trading a pick one round worse from this years draft.   The thinking is if one team has to wait a full year for the pick,  then the value of that pick is one round less.

So....  last year,  we traded a 2014 #4 to get a 5th round pick 2013 to take Hughes.

Now....  this year, if you're trading a 2015 #1,  all you're going to get back is a 2014 #2.    You're not going to get a 2 and a 3, and certainly not a 4.   

These draft mock simulator websites don't know that.   And they allow you to make unrealistic trades.

Don't buy the hype that these websites offer.    This is not how the real world of draft trades works.

I don't mind trading away a third or a fourth, but it hurts being without one of your top 64 picks, like we've been the last two seasons.

Exactly. No 2nd in 2013 for the Vontae Davis trade, which worked out. And now no 1st round pick. I'm okay with them trading away next year's third for a 4th though.  Only time you trade away a 1st is for an almost sure fire franchise changing guy, which is usually a QB in most cases.

This should say "dream scenario" instead of "best case".  There is no way the Cardinals will trade away their 2nd and 3rd round picks this draft.  They are too close to being able to compete against the Niners and Seahawks.  They need a few more pieces and might even take a QB such as Carr to groom behind Palmer.  That means keeping their 2nd pick.