Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top teams benefiting from return of injured players

IAColtsFan

I would say either Indy or Green Bay is number 1 -- the only reason for GB is b/c Aaron Rodgers was gone for 7 games.

We lost our best OG, our best WR, our best TE, our best RB, our second best RB -- all with a second year QB.  I don't think the loss of Bjoern hurt us much, but Toler's loss did -- we are a totally different secondary when we have Butler in the slot and Vaughn on the bench than we are with Vaughn on the other team's 2nd best WR.

Injuries aren't excuse at the end of the day. That's why you have depth at key position. Who cares about what number we are?

People say that all the time, and it's easy to say but not always true.  Plus, with the salary cap, it's impossible to have starting quality depth at every position.  Injuries may not be an excuse, but they can definitely be the reason.

People really forget jus how many injuries the broncos had because they still did so well, their starting LT clady, both Starting DTs Wolfe and vickerson, starting OLB Von miller, lost their number one corner at the end Harris, their starting center, and I think one of their starting safeties was out

People say that all the time, and it's easy to say but not always true. Plus, with the salary cap, it's impossible to have starting quality depth at every position. Injuries may not be an excuse, but they can definitely be the reason.

No injuries aren't an excuse. I also said we need depth a key positions. I don't say all positions.

Greenbay is #1 only because of Rodgers.  If you take him out then they would be #5.  Atlanta is #4.  That leaves Indy, Denver, and the Pats.  Broncos had more high impact players go down.  Colts had more injuries of starters.  Pats had guys go down, but their replacements played better, except for Gronk's back-up.  Colts and Broncos are tied for #1 for me.  Pats would be #3.

Now add all that back to their roster plus the addition of ware, ward, and talib and tell me the broncos shouldn't be favorites, not

To mention whoever they draft

Favorites to what? If you are talking about to win the Super Bowl they should not be the favorites. All those players are on D. Talib has never played a full season in his career. Ware is 31 had career lows in tackles and sacks last year and is coming off of elbow nerve re-alignment surgery in January.  Ward was a good signing.

It was the offense that wet the bed put up 8pts in the Super Bowl. They let their best pass protecting and receiving RB go. I will be the first admit Moreno has had an underwhelming career but he seemed like the perfect fit with Manning. I think that is going to hurt them more than they think, Anyone see Ball in pass protection last year? Their QB is 38 and has a losing record in the playoffs. Only Elway has won a Super Bowl at that age.

Of the 47 Super Bowl losers only 5 have made it back and only two won it the following year. Last team the 72 Dolphins so what is that  42 years since it is happened and a 4% chance.

I do not think the Broncos should be Super Bowl favorites.

I don't really count Rodgers in the packers group. He came back, got into the playoffs and then lost. We lost our people early in the season and they never returned. Massive difference.

Packers struggled to get into the playoffs and when they were there it was a rusty Rodgers -- he doesn't get hurt and they could have shaken up the NFC playoffs totally different by being a 1 or 2 seed, easily.

No injuries aren't an excuse. I also said we need depth a key positions. I don't say all positions.

So if Peyton Manning goes down with a season ending injury, the Broncos would still be among the teams considered SuperBowl favorites?  They should still have the expectation that they should get to and win the SB?

I read this list on my phone yesterday and expected the Colts to be number 1, but figured the talking heads would make it absurd. They did. These are all opinion based, but I am not sure what more we could have lost to be first on the list. Glad we didn't. We were decimated by injuries, and at key positions. Any-who, what we did last year with a banged up group was incredible and having those players back will make a huge difference. This is something that the talking heads are overlooking. 

It could be that the NFL talking heads are not ready for the Colts to be the face of the NFL. I can sort of even understand why. We had a great run with Peyton and most people thought the Colts ride was over when Peyton was let go (and they wanted it to be). Back in the 90's, I could not wait for the 49ers and Cowboys to suck. Just like I will be overjoyed when the Patriots start sucking.

The talking heads are always downplaying everything about the Colts. They had us last in 2012 and we darn near won the division and made the playoffs. They had us only winning 6 games last year and we won the division and a playoff game. This year they are claiming the Colts have the easiest schedule to save face early.

It doesn't matter though. In the end when the Colts win it all then they will say they knew it all along. Talking heads are paid actors who cannot act or predict the future. 

Packers struggled to get into the playoffs and when they were there it was a rusty Rodgers -- he doesn't get hurt and they could have shaken up the NFC playoffs totally different by being a 1 or 2 seed, easily.

Their defense wasn't good anyways. They weren't getting by the 49ers or Seahawks. Didn't matter how healthy Rogers was. Him returning doesn't mean the rest of the team was capable, which for the NFC it wasn't.

Their defense wasn't good anyways. They weren't getting by the 49ers or Seahawks. Didn't matter how healthy Rogers was. Him returning doesn't mean the rest of the team was capable, which for the NFC it wasn't.

They also had some big injuries to their defense.  And you never know, if Green Bay has home field advantage in playoffs and there is bad weather in the frozen tundra the Pack are a tough team to beat.  Rodgers is one of the games elite QB's -- right along with Manning and Brady (and I am hoping Luck can secure himself here after this season) -- and by elite, I don't mean a game manager like Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick, I mean a guy that can win games by himself regardless of how poor his defense is. 

So if Peyton Manning goes down with a season ending injury, the Broncos would still be among the teams considered SuperBowl favorites? They should still have the expectation that they should get to and win the SB?

Actually yes. They're grooming the back up QB. He is learning from Manning and is alittle more mobile. That's why Polian got fired. He had a chance to get a quality back up for Manning in 2011. Instead he moved up to drafted a guy with injuries in the second round Ben Ijilana.

Favorites to what? If you are talking about to win the Super Bowl they should not be the favorites. All those players are on D. Talib has never played a full season in his career. Ware is 31 had career lows in tackles and sacks last year and is coming off of elbow nerve re-alignment surgery in January.  Ward was a good signing.

It was the offense that wet the bed put up 8pts in the Super Bowl. They let their best pass protecting and receiving RB go. I will be the first admit Moreno has had an underwhelming career but he seemed like the perfect fit with Manning. I think that is going to hurt them more than they think, Anyone see Ball in pass protection last year? Their QB is 38 and has a losing record in the playoffs. Only Elway has won a Super Bowl at that age.

Of the 47 Super Bowl losers only 5 have made it back and only two won it the following year. Last team the 72 Dolphins so what is that  42 years since it is happened and a 4% chance.

I do not think the Broncos should be Super Bowl favorites.

What has happened in  previous years has no bearing on next year..or any other year

The numbers suggest that losing the Super Bowl somehow makes it less likely you from return the next year and there is absolutely no logic in that, only emotion.

How old the QB is....is also irrelevant...there is no age limit on QB play..

The fact that something has never happened or happened rarely in the past has absolutely no bearing on the future..None at all.

The past is not the future.

you don't really count the games Aaron Rodgers missed?  Really?

The regular season is highly invalid in most cases. All it is, is a path to the playoffs. When you get to the playoffs, nobody cares what the regular season held. Being a Colts fans we should all know that. Winning 12 games doesn't mean you win a playoff game, and in 1 year nobody cares how well in the regular season you did, because it is invalid. Rodgers was there when it actually mattered, which was the playoffs. But the fact is, the Packers are not in the tier of the rest of the NFC. And that was shown when they lost. Getting Rodgers back doesn't fix the rest of the team, just as Irsay realized getting Peyton back wouldn't fix the rest of the team. 

What has happened in  previous years has no bearing on next year..or any other year

The numbers suggest that losing the Super Bowl somehow makes it less likely you from return the next year and there is absolutely no logic in that, only emotion.

How old the QB is....is also irrelevant...there is no age limit on QB play..

The fact that something has never happened or happened rarely in the past has absolutely no bearing on the future..None at all.

The past is not the future.

seriously? there is no emotion at all those are the facts the statistic's say Denver has a .04% chance of making it to the super bowl. Can they make it yes. It is no different than when a team losses the first 2 games of a series statistically they are less likely to win the series.

It hasn't happened since 72 that the loser of the super bowl has made it back that is a fact no emotion at all. With Manning's track record in the playoffs and age then losing Moreno is going to be bigger than people think i believe. I don't think they get back I have a 96% chance of being correct., It is simple statistics.

That is good for us. Why are you all jammed if Denver goes we don't

No way....just losing Rodgers for 7 games trumps anything the Patriots lost.

Indeed.  Pack, Pats. And I think Broncos squeak by us for #3. We narrow out Falcons for #4; IMO.

And If we lost Luck for many games?  Well, Jon Gruden beleives we are a 4-5 win team without Luck.