Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How We Could Get In The First Round

I'm thinking a great spot to try to trade for would be #13 and draft Calvin Pryor. it's the Rams second first round pick and they might be more inclined to move down with already having the #2 pick but what could possibly be dealt to secure the move up i'm thinking since it's a deep draft moving up won't cost as much as other drafts so maybe our 2nd round picks this and next year and our 4th round pick next year and get our safety maybe not our only secondary pick in the draft and go for a center in the 3rd

what do you think? is moving up to #13 for Pryor a good idea i think it's the perfect spot to draft before the safety hungry teams (Eagles,Cardinals,Packers,Cowboys)

It would take next year's first rounder to even sniff the first round and probably our second, third and probably 6th plus next year's first to get into the teens. No player in the mid first round is worth 4 picks. We're just going to have to bite our tongues and see who falls into the second round.

Nick.....

The Rams may want to trade down -- but it's hard to believe they want to trade down THAT FAR!

They want to move down 5 spots.   Maybe 10 spots.   Maybe a little more.....

But you're talking about moving down 46 spots!    That's nearly a round and a half.

I don't think you know how expensive that would be.

Without crunching numbers, I'd guess our 2 and 3 this year for starters.   

And our 1 and 2 next year...   maybe our 1 and 2 and 3 next year.

It's simply not realistic.    

You do not want to blow out TWO drafts over one player.   Few are that good....   and certainly not a safety.

There will be a safety we'll like at 59.     Or 90.    Or some other number if we trade out.

But trading up into the first round is amazingly, incredibly, unbelievably expensive.   Especially when you want to move up 46 picks!

Nick....

Just for kicks....    I crunched the numbers for your idea...

St. Louis' pick at 13 is worth 1150 points.

Our two picks this year (2/3) are worth  450 points.

Our three best picks next year (1/2/3) are only worth 496 points because they're a year away so each round is discounted by one full round....       meaning, our 1/2/3 are only worth the points of our 2/3/4.

So,  those 5 picks are worth 946 points.    We're still short more than two hundred points.    We'd likely have to include our 2 and 3 in '16 to make it happen.

I think you get my point.    Just way too expensive.

Now....   if you're still interested in getting into the first I also crunched numbers for Dustin's idea...    trade back with New England.     They pick at 29.   That pick is worth 640 points.

We'd have to offer our 2 this year  (310) and our 1 next year (remember, the value of a 2) so that's another 310 points)  and we're still shy 20 points.     So, we'd have to offer something like our 5 this year which is worth 25 points to make it happen.

Again........ very expensive and that only gets us to the bottom of the first round for whoever might be there at that time.

The Real Estate is incredibly expensive.

Even Craig Kelley, the Colts PR guy,  says in his weekly mailbag that we don't have the picks to trade to move up so he think we either stay where we're at, or we trade back.    That's his view that he's saying publicly.

Bottom line........   don't get your hopes up of trading up.    Not this year at least.....

Nick....

Just for kicks....    I crunched the numbers for your idea...

St. Louis' pick at 13 is worth 1150 points.

Our two picks this year (2/3) are worth  450 points.

Our three best picks next year (1/2/3) are only worth 496 points because they're a year away so each round is discounted by one full round....       meaning, our 1/2/3 are only worth the points of our 2/3/4.

So,  those 5 picks are worth 946 points.    We're still short more than two hundred points.    We'd likely have to include our 2 and 3 in '16 to make it happen.

I think you get my point.    Just way too expensive.

Now....   if you're still interested in getting into the first I also crunched numbers for Dustin's idea...    trade back with New England.     They pick at 29.   That pick is worth 640 points.

We'd have to offer our 2 this year  (310) and our 1 next year (remember, the value of a 2) so that's another 310 points)  and we're still shy 20 points.     So, we'd have to offer something like our 5 this year which is worth 25 points to make it happen.

Again........ very expensive and that only gets us to the bottom of the first round for whoever might be there at that time.

The Real Estate is incredibly expensive.

Even Craig Kelley, the Colts PR guy,  says in his weekly mailbag that we don't have the picks to trade to move up so he think we either stay where we're at, or we trade back.    That's his view that he's saying publicly.

Bottom line........   don't get your hopes up of trading up.    Not this year at least.....

Re: My idea, i used the Saints-Patriots trade in 2011 as precedent. 

Pats send pick #28 to New Orleans for 2nd rounder (56) and 2012 1st.