Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts expected to pick up Castonzo's 5th year option

Valpo2004

As expected.

There was some debate on here as to if they would work out a new deal beforehand.  The 5th year gives us more time to work out a long term deal though.

We certainly have to pick up Luck's option because I realized that if there is an option on the contract and you don't pick it up, then you are likely not able to franchise the player if you can't get a deal worked out.  

There was some debate on here as to if they would work out a new deal beforehand. The 5th year gives us more time to work out a long term deal though.

We certainly have to pick up Luck's option because I realized that if there is an option on the contract and you don't pick it up, then you are likely not able to franchise the player if you can't get a deal worked out.

We will definitely pick up Luck's option next year.

A real shame he wasn`t moved to RT last season.

It is a passing League and he is not far from the bottom as a pass blocker. Has been all 3 of his seasons.
We will pass about 55% of the time and we ran directly behind him last season 10% (about 41) of the plays. lol

I know he has been working hard and I bet we all agree AC gives GREAT Effort.
 GL finding the needed TWITCHINESS AC and we are all saying our FB Prayers you get that MUCH Deserved/Needed help around you because you have pretty much been on an Island. 

It is a passing League and he is not far from the bottom as a pass blocker. Has been all 3 of his seasons.

We will pass about 55% of the time and we ran directly behind him last season 10% (about 41) of the plays. lol

GL finding the needed TWITCHINESS AC and we are all saying our FB Prayers you get that MUCH Deserved/Needed help around you because you have pretty much been on an Island. 

I'm confused, are you suggesting the move Gosder to the left side?  To me, AC has a ton more athletic (IE - movement, not strength) ability than GC.  GC is a stout blocker at RT, so just not seeing how moving AC to the right side helps at all.

I know he isn't the leagues best LT, but for what I've seen, he's good enough.  If they can keep him around with a respectable cap number, I'd prefer that over having a 10/million a year kind of LT who goes down for the entire season (Clady/Peters/etc).

I'm confused, are you suggesting the move Gosder to the left side?  To me, AC has a ton more athletic (IE - movement, not strength) ability than GC.  GC is a stout blocker at RT, so just not seeing how moving AC to the right side helps at all.

I know he isn't the leagues best LT, but for what I've seen, he's good enough.  If they can keep him around with a respectable cap number, I'd prefer that over having a 10/million a year kind of LT who goes down for the entire season (Clady/Peters/etc).

I think he's saying that AC is more suited to be a RT than a LT because he's a stronger run blocker than pass blocker and speed rushers give him problems. But, like you say, he's a solid LT and we could certainly do worse IMO. I think AC is our LT for a long, long time to come

I think he's saying that AC is more suited to be a RT than a LT because he's a stronger run blocker than pass blocker and speed rushers give him problems. But, like you say, he's a solid LT and we could certainly do worse IMO. I think AC is our LT for a long, long time to come

I would agree RT would be a more natural position for AC.  We probably would have been better off spending the money on getting a true LT and moving AC to RT.

Cherlius I don't think could be moved to the left, he'd be worse at pass blocking then AC is.

However we could do worse then AC at LT so I'm ok with it.  He's likely to get at least another 4 year contract after his 5th year is up.  

Is this according to PFF? 

If he was moved to RT (prior to signing Godser), was there a LT available that would have cost the same as GC and was better than AC?  Obviously, we'd like to improve but sometimes it's easier said than done.

If he was moved to RT (prior to signing Godser), was there a LT available that would have cost the same as GC and was better than AC? Obviously, we'd like to improve but sometimes it's easier said than done.

Jake Long. I was hoping we went after him only after his stock dropped in free agency last year. He still got a hefty contract from the Rams but they basically paid him what we paid Cherilus, at least in total value. Jake Long isn't the greatest pass blocker either but he's better than AC by quite a bit

If he was moved to RT (prior to signing Godser), was there a LT available that would have cost the same as GC and was better than AC?  Obviously, we'd like to improve but sometimes it's easier said than done.

Smonroe do you know what a PBE is?

I can`t say i fully understand how PFF comes up with its overall rating for a player.

But as bad as Castonzo is at pass blocking, it seems the 41 times we ran right behind him for about 200 yards for about (4.8 YPC which was maybe top 3) weighed might heavy on his overall grade at PFF compared to his poor success pass blocking about 560 times.

The same with Cherilus. lol

But No, just Starting with sacks allowed, and then hits and hurries. It is not a joke when i have posted that Andrew could hardly do a 5 step drop and take one step without Castonzo being on top of him. Right or wrong, i comment on what i see and i watch it Very Close.

You are correct about our options. In FA  only Jake Long at about the same price was worth considering. He came with some risk based on his history but i liked the idea of them together.

And the draft had no real SOLID options where we picked.  

BTW, Cherilus had High SHH #`s last season compared to his peers. Ugh!

Whether we should have anticipated that, honestly i knew little of the guy. I just watched McGlynn constantly sliding over to help him against inside moves and like i said his season totals were still high.

Hmm! Looks like i am miffed that signing Gosder for all that $$$ has us locked in with AC at LT for awhile.

You never know who might turn it on, Xavier Nixon  from that draft is a guy with Serious potential as a LT.

I wish him and AC the best.

I don't think AC is bad. I had high hopes for him and Ijalana when we drafted them. To hear the pundits that draft year we got two future hall of famers when we drafted them. So I am a bit disappointed he hasn't been more than just adequate honestly. I'm hoping that Xavier Nixon makes a solid year two jump and creates good competition for the spot. Maybe we find out if AC is our long term answer there or if we have a new candidate to lead us in the future.