Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Pep Hamilton change his offense in 2014?

TKnight24

As much as we lamented #Colts missing Reggie Wayne last year, Allen is a guy who adds a dimension they sorely lacked in '13. Welcome back

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

April 21, 2014

We never got the chance to see what Pep Hamilton could do with a set of versatile tight ends. I think he likes TEs more than fullbacks!

April 21, 2014

Stephen makes a good point, maybe we won't carry a FB this year. I know a lot of you have mentioned Dwayne Allen being our Hybrid FB/TE. It makes sense when you think about it. No FB means 1 extra roster spot for a position we could use depth in like LB or CB. Your thoughts?

:colts:

As much as we lamented #Colts missing Reggie Wayne last year, Allen is a guy who adds a dimension they sorely lacked in '13. Welcome back

April 21, 2014

We never got the chance to see what Pep Hamilton could do with a set of versatile tight ends. I think he likes TEs more than fullbacks!

April 21, 2014

Stephen makes a good point, maybe we won't carry a FB this year. I know a lot of you have mentioned Dwayne Allen being our Hybrid FB/TE. It makes sense when you think about it. No FB means 1 extra roster spot for a position we could use depth in like LB or CB. Your thoughts?

We clearly intended to, and did, carry a FB last year when Allen was healthy.  There is nothing to suggest that anything has changed to take the FB out of Peps arsenal.

Think they still carry a fb. Brought two in last week. The fb will have to contribute on st's so I don't think it makes too big a difference for the roster spot.

Yeah I think so too but I'm just looking at the other side of this scenario. Let's say we cut all FB's and run a Alabama type offense with the one back sets. Could defense's still stack the box or would they play coverage?

I think having a FB in kinda shows your hand in a way.

But also without a FB, Spider Y Banana goes away too :(:Cry:

PEP is just hoping he will have Guards & a Center that can block someone and has to be excited with the prospect of having Allen out there to help cover his relatively weak pass blocking tackles. 

A basic to run the ball to control the clock and wear out the D and set up play action.
 Give Andrew more time so his deep threats can stretch the D, oooh my, it will open up the short, medium, and long. :thmsup: 

PEP will do what he did last year with better players executing the plays. lol

I think we still will carry a FB Havili was very versatile as his pass catching skills are pretty good, he also made some decent plays last season. im assuming he will be retained. it adds another wrinkle to the offense when you have a FB that can block and release as a reliable checkdown.

I think we still will carry a FB Havili was very versatile as his pass catching skills are pretty good, he also made some decent plays last season. im assuming he will be retained. it adds another wrinkle to the offense when you have a FB that can block and release as a reliable checkdown.

Indeed he did make some good plays last season, on both sides of the ball at that. I'll never forget his strip of Holliday in the Denver game where the ball literally ballerina on the sideline haha

We traded for Havili and when he is healthy he is a decent FB option. I wouldn't want to let him go but no doubt Pep likes to use his TE's in many ways..

I believe with Allen back we'll see more 2-3 TE sets. I believe that extra offensive lineman formation was only put into play because Allen was hurt.

I know a lot of people don't like Pep on here, but we gotta give him a chance with a full deck of cards. And judging by how well he did this year with all the injuries, we should blow the NFL out the water with a full arsenal of our weapons

Definitely gonna carry a fullback this year. Pep's scheme is one that utilizes the traditional fullback and not the "hybrid" H back.

We will carry a FB that is also a good special teamer.

I think we will see PEP continue to use the h back. More so than a FB this season because of the quality of players he has available.

Allen or Jack Doyle in line or as the H back will be the more versatile, effective Offense. IMO

I have said this before, but I would much rather have Allen catching the football and running over CBs that as a fullback.  He is a weapon!  Use him as such.  Havilli stays IMO.  He is solid.

As for the offense we really did not get to see it as designed last because of the Allen injury as well as all of the others.

Top 5 offense IMO... :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet: !!!!

Another person I'm looking forward to seeing in this offense at full health is Ahmad Bradshaw :cheer:

Dude was a mad man in the San Francisco game!

Bradshaw and Allen are my 2 guys that I am very much looking forward in seeing this coming season.

Yeah I think so too but I'm just looking at the other side of this scenario. Let's say we cut all FB's and run a Alabama type offense with the one back sets. Could defense's still stack the box or would they play coverage?

I think having a FB in kinda shows your hand in a way.

But also without a FB, Spider Y Banana goes away too :(:Cry:

A fullback does typically key which way the play goes. As a recent high school player, our coach always had the linebackers key on the fullbacks first step. And even if the play doesnt go where the fullback goes then they are running to the weak side where they have less blockers anyway, which usually works to the defenses benefit

A fullback does typically key which way the play goes. As a recent high school player, our coach always had the linebackers key on the fullbacks first step. And even if the play doesnt go where the fullback goes then they are running to the weak side where they have less blockers anyway, which usually works to the defenses benefit

:agree:

I played LB, FB always gave away the play in my eyes.

Now when a offense runs the one back sets, then you really have no idea what's coming. It could be a run, it could be a pass. I except a mixture of FB sets & no FB sets this year.

I believe this year will show us what Pep really can do as an OC on the NFL level. Personally, I believe he showed it last year even with the bad hand he was dealt. But barring injuries, Pep should have us in the Top 10 if not Top 5 of the NFL offensive wise

The key is getting the offensive line to block and give Luck more time to read his progressions. Luck has all the weapons he needs just as long as he has the time to use them. Pep took a lot of heat last season but was coaching a team missing a lot of pieces. Too many thought Pep was not doing a good job without giving him a chance.  It's hard to do your job when you don't have all of your tools available. Way too much negativity given when under the circumstances the Colts played very good. From a 2-14 season to a 11-5 wildcard then to a division championship and a playoff win is pretty amazing considering the Colts only have 8 players on the roster left from when a new coach and GM came to this team. Taking a look a the bigger picture is where we as Colt fans need to look.

Could he change the offense?    Yes.

Will he change the offense?      No.

Pep will just use lots of the offense that he was not able to use last year because of all the injuries to key offensive players.

We'll see more two tight end offensive sets.    And we'll see more play action passes based on what should be an improved running game.   (Hey, am I an optimist, or what?!)     And we should be more explosive in the passing game with the addition of Nick, and the return of Wayne and Allen.    

This should be a much, much better offense this year.   But the playbook will stay the same.   We're just going to see more of what we were unable to use last year.

And it should be fun to watch!

One last thought.....   the biggest reason I'm much more optimistic about our improved offense this year is not because of the players we've acquired or are getting back.    It's because of the addition of what I think is our most important off-season addition.   Rob Chudzinski.    He may not be the OC,  but his voice will carry weight both during the week,  and I suspect, even on game day.    I think Chud is a huge addition to this franchise!

A FB is needed when running power sets. I do see a change in some of the formations being implicated. Those FB's are going to be TE like players. You look at their height and weight. Need to see them on the field. We could run a three TE set next season. It's a mystery what happens next season.

April 21, 2014

April 21, 2014

I don't think we want to use Allen as a fullback at all it could get him hurt and we don't want that.

Yeah, I anticipate more formations without a fullback and probably no more 1 WR formations. :) 

More 3 WR, 1 TE and 2 WR, 2 TE formations, health permitting.

We can easily run the no huddle out of POSSE and ACE formations with 1 RB given that Trent is a good blitz blocker. Besides, I am sure I noticed Trent's YPC go up while running against more nickel formations defending 3 WRs and 1 TE, and I hope that can continue.

Yeah, I anticipate more formations without a fullback and probably no more 1 WR formations. :)

More 3 WR, 1 TE and 2 WR, 2 TE formations, health permitting.

We can easily run the no huddle out of POSSE and ACE formations with 1 RB given that Trent is a good blitz blocker. Besides, I am sure I noticed Trent's YPC go up while running against more nickel formations defending 3 WRs and 1 TE, and I hope that can continue.

It's no question it's easier to run the football when the defense is running nickel & dime packages. They're taking LB's off for CB's. And imo, a offensive lineman should dominate a CB 99% of the time