Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What NFL Team has the Best Scouts

mirobi

It's hard to argue against Seattle.  They've had so many late rounds picks blossom into solid NFL players.  Personally, I'm not sold on Grigs' drafting, but he and the scouts do look everywhere for talent (Adongo from rugby, Freeman, Hickman, and Muamba from Canada, etc)

It's hard to argue against Seattle.  They've had so many late rounds picks blossom into solid NFL players.  Personally, I'm not sold on Grigs' drafting, but he and the scouts do look everywhere for talent (Adongo from rugby, Freeman, Hickman, and Muamba from Canada, etc)

In reality they have probably gotten very lucky with those late round picks. Not saying they aren't good, but I highly doubt they could could replicate that kind of success again.

As to the OP's question....I don't know how anyone on this forum could answer that question.

I would pick New England.  Maybe not so much lately but overall.

If you take a closer look at New England's history of drafting and hording players from trades you would be surprised to find the percentage of players kept from those moves are pretty low. I can't recall exactly what article I was reading when I ran across that info. It was a couple of years ago. With the success the Pats have had it surprised me to read that info at the time.

In reality they have probably gotten very lucky with those late round picks. Not saying they aren't good, but I highly doubt they could could replicate that kind of success again.

As to the OP's question....I don't know how anyone on this forum could answer that question.

I agree.  It's possible they got lucky and won't replicate that success, but I think a good amount of credit should go to Schneider, their scouts, and their coaches for developing players.  It's about developing a player's technique, finding the right players for your system, looking everywhere for talent, etc., and the Seahawks have arguably done the best job in the league with that.

I agree. There have been some drafts in the past that it seemed every player taken made an impact.  The Steelers 1974 and the Cowboys 1991 and 92 were considered the best. I am sure the list of bad drafts are too many to mention. Draft picks can make a GM look like a genius or a * from year to year. Some fans forget that it's all one big crap shoot and the difference of success and failing is a fine line.

I agree. There have been some drafts in the past that it seemed every player taken made an impact.  The Steelers 1974 and the Cowboys 1991 and 92 were considered the best. I am sure the list of bad drafts are too many to mention. Draft picks can make a GM look like a genius or a * from year to year. Some fans forget that it's all one big crap shoot and the difference of success and failing is a fine line.

Jimmy Johnson said there were numerous times in Dallas when the didn't get the player they wanted and settled for player B.....and we know how that turned out. It's like a poker game with good players....whoever runs hot wins lol.

Last line is absolutely correct. There is no one on this forum remotely qualified to answer the initial question. Well, except Gavin because of his All 22.

My first thought was well that's simple, just take the top 10-12 teams from the playoffs and theres your answer. But then you have teams like the Texans who were playoff contenders in 2012 and then wound up with the 1st pick in this years draft. And they weren't rebuilding or retooling..There are so many variables in narrowing it down once you really think about it. Good question.

Almost as important as taking the right player is having the right coaches to teach them, develop them, and get the most out of them. I look at teams with great assistant coaches and staffs that don't turn over a lot like NE, Pitt, Bal, NY and sure its about getting good players but I've seen numerous guys that just need the right coaching and motivation and scheme. Honestly, its seemed like outside of late round WRs that Peyton made the most of we rarely seemed to get guys with and turn them into something special. Talent wise the NFL is almost even for tons of players...its about that 1 degree of seperation...that little bit of difference in drive that makes the most difference...not talent or athleticism etc. How often have we said it isn't the combine numbers or size but just the heart...and often the coaching that takes a player from the fringes to the top of the league. In a league where most are seperated by 1/10 of a second or a few inches or pounds...we know it isn't that...but what's inside...and what these coaches put inside them. Would love to see our coaches get something special from a few of our guys...especially on defense and the OL.

Looking at those teams I mentioned it's like NE constantly turns out all pro OL and NY and Bal all pro DL...and Pitt all pro LBs. I mean its no coincidence....great coaching I think is the main reason for that....because these teams typically draft late or in most cases trade down.

If you take a closer look at New England's history of drafting and hording players from trades you would be surprised to find the percentage of players kept from those moves are pretty low. I can't recall exactly what article I was reading when I ran across that info. It was a couple of years ago. With the success the Pats have had it surprised me to read that info at the time.

Patriots are great in the first round.

Godawful in the second.

Of course, the Patriots have been picking lower than everyone else in the NFL over the past decade. That provides a challenge.

I always find it interesting that Jim Harbaugh, who coached Richard Sherman in college let him pass in the draft -- he has been a tremendous player, but the fact that Harbaugh and a lot of other teams passed on him leads me to believe Seattle got lucky there.

Would say the Ravens are one of the teams. Daniel Jeremiah was a former scout for the Baltimore Ravens if that says anything. But Ozzie Newsome and his staff have shown a propensity for identifying guys that can play. His first draft and Newsome drafted 2 future Hall of Famers in Ogden and Lewis. I obviously don't know based on first hand experience, but I'm sure their scouts are definitely up there

Makes sense. They hoard picks. If you get the chance to draft 12-15 players a year, someone is almost bound to pan out.

I always find it interesting that Jim Harbaugh, who coached Richard Sherman in college let him pass in the draft -- he has been a tremendous player, but the fact that Harbaugh and a lot of other teams passed on him leads me to believe Seattle got lucky there.

Pete Carroll tried to recruit Richard Sherman to USC out of high school and told him he thought he had the makings of a shutdown corner. Sherman dropped to the fifth round because he had switched from WR to CB in the middle of his college career and was raw at the position, but he still had the attributes Carroll was looking for: length, athleticism, intelligence, and an ultra-competitive personality. He and John Schneider were able to overlook his weaknesses and focus on his strengths and potential which is why they selected him. That's not luck, its the ability to evaluate talent.

When you see how many key contributors they have on the team taken in the later rounds and signed as UDFAs its hard not to conclude that there has to be more than luck involved.

Ill say Seahawks do to the Consistency of talent they draft. NE would have been in strong consideration but they always trade for future picks and end up with a ton of picks which they end up trading away for more future picks, its a never ending cycle with them. 

It's hard to argue against Seattle.  They've had so many late rounds picks blossom into solid NFL players. 

True. If you have a very clear vision of what kind of players you want - and those are not in high demand elsewhere, things get much easier though. As I understand it, those big strong people (in stead of fast) in the secondary at Seattle hasn't been too fashionable amongst others teams. But that might be changing.

People of higher wisdom can probably set me straight on this one, however. :hide:

The Seahawks have done an outstanding job. 

One guy I'm surprised to see isn't mentioned in this thread is now Chargers GM Tom Telesco. He was our head scout for many moon in the Polian era. One of the best scouts in the league in the eyes of many.

He traded up for T'eo.....meh lol