Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

N if L Colts 24th pick of 2013 draft

12isthenew18

I'm trying to show what the Colts could look like without drafting werner:

Say we draft Xavier Rhodes CB like we all hoped and I still do look what would happen:

We wouldn't have Josh Gordy and we's have an extra 7th round pick and would have drastic results in wild card game this year. 

We would've used that 7th round pick on a running back.

We'd have our pick from Richardson

Our draft would consist of a 1,2,3,5,6,7,7. Pick in the draft

This free agency  would have same players

This draft would be in this order of position:

S,OLB,RB,OT,OG,CB,DT

Cut Toler

If we got sheriff Floyd if he fell one more pick.

We would have our 4th round pick for this year due to no Depth

We would've cut ties with RJF

Same FA

We'd have a 2,3,4,5,6,7 in this draft

Keep Richardson as another example

Follow same draft order approach by position

In all favor I'd take Xavier Rhodes situation without looking back

Rhodes was GARBAGE this season!!!!

Burnt all up & down the field. I don't see him having much success in the NFL. I understand he was a rookie but he was flatout awful this season

I'll take Werner over all the options you listed

:colts:

Your blind optimism is... nice I guess. But unrealistic. Rhodes was hot garbage? Please tell me about all the games you watched him play in. He wasn't bad, and all I could find on PFF was he was top 5 in yards allowed per snap (Revis #1) and the only Vikings corner not to allow a TD (although not sure what point in the season that was)

Point is, Rhodes was far from awful.

Werner wasn't.

How would we not have Josh Gordy when we traded for him in 2012?

Whose to say that 7th round pick RB would've even made the roster? Kerwynn Williams ultimately didn't.

Can't entertain a scenario of a player who wasn't even available when we picked.

I'm trying to show what the Colts could look like without drafting werner:

Say we draft Xavier Rhodes CB like we all hoped and I still do look what would happen:

We wouldn't have Josh Gordy and we's have an extra 7th round pick and would have drastic results in wild card game this year.

We would've used that 7th round pick on a running back.

We'd have our pick from Richardson

Our draft would consist of a 1,2,3,5,6,7,7. Pick in the draft

This free agency would have same players

This draft would be in this order of position:

S,OLB,RB,OT,OG,CB,DT

Cut Toler

If we got sheriff Floyd if he fell one more pick.

We would have our 4th round pick for this year due to no Depth

We would've cut ties with RJF

Same FA

We'd have a 2,3,4,5,6,7 in this draft

Keep Richardson as another example

Follow same draft order approach by position

In all favor I'd take Xavier Rhodes situation without looking back

Dear God...

I don't see any situation in which we wouldn't have made this trade for Richardson unfortunately. Having Xavier would likely mean we would have cut ties with Toler this offseason IF Rhodes played the same way for us....or we don't re-sign Davis possibly..imagine that..either way we likely have an extra 4 million and no pass rush. Also meaning if we didn't take a Werner we would have spent a pick later in that draft on an OLB/DE type regardless. Its a need either way....all it means is instead of getting Werner last year we would be more likely spending our 2nd rd pick this year on a likely inferior player. Fact is drafting Werner is probably not a problem. Pass rushers usually have a steep learning curve as they go up against elite defenders every week and aren't able to feast on slow or weak tackles like in college.

The only if people really could make is what if we didn't trade for Richardson and they can imagine what we would get with our 26th pick. That is something that is easier to see what we could do....but even that is kind of pointless. I imagine we likely look at the best safety/corner on the board or help for the OL. I think Werner will improve...I don't think he has that elite speed coming off the corner but he seems like he could turn into that Paul Kruger type that blossoms late.

Rhodes was GARBAGE this season!!!!

Burnt all up & down the field. I don't see him having much success in the NFL. I understand he was a rookie but he was flatout awful this season

I'll take Werner over all the options you listed

:colts:

No. No he wasn't.

I read that ten of the first round draft picks from 2011 will not be getting options. That should tell us several things. Including, you can't count a guy out after one season. And that the draft, even the first round, is a crap shoot.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if we didn't draft Werner that I can make a connection to causing the start of the Zombie apocalypse.

To the OP:  It is remarkable how little your scenarios have to do with what we did with the 24th pick in 2013.  There some interesting stuff in there (I like what ifs, personally), but Werner draft decision is not a very big factor in the range of motion you describe.

How Grigson didn`t cut McGlynn and how EVERY GM underestimated Warford and we didn`t get him is my favorite mystery.

We WERE also desperate to add a pass rusher so we took the safe consensus BPA on our board - Werner.

If Werner can average 60+ tackles and 6 sacks that would make him Anthony Spencer Like.

So many here wanted Spencer for Big$$$, then they should be fine if Werner puts up those #`s.

I believe he will, After Mathis is gone. Probably won`t get enough snaps till then.

"What if" we had hit big on some mid to late round guys over the past few years? We could have Richard Sherman, Justin Houston, Kam Chancellor, ETC. What if Grigs had landed Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft? You can always do the "what if" game, but it is what it is.

If Ballard and Bradshaw had stayed healthy, I doubt that we would have made the T-Rich trade.

This. I think Ballard was potentially going to have a 1,000 yard rushing campaign. He put up 800+ yards as a rookie in only 12 starts, and hat was before we improved the O-Line slightly in 2013. That's always been my biggest "What If?".

Ballard had so much to do with the way alot of things played out.

How would we not have Josh Gordy when we traded for him in 2012?

Whose to say that 7th round pick RB would've even made the roster? Kerwynn Williams ultimately didn't.

Can't entertain a scenario of a player who wasn't even available when we picked.

This was the biggest problem I saw with the whole thing.  Why should we assume a 7th rounder would have made the roster or even been better then grabbing some in-season free agent?  

Rhodes was actually excellent this year.

Would have easily been our second best corner last season. Gave up a lower catch % than Davis, fewer yards/catch, and had 7 fewer TDs again and one more pass defensed, in 450 fewer snaps. Drafting Rhodes probably would have made Davis expendable.