Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tandon Doss Arrested in Indianapolis

ColtJ82

So he plays for the Jags? Like players from no other teams ever get into trouble? Seems like a couple of Colt players were in trouble before last season started.

Yeah, no team is immune.

I'm just curious as to why the decision was made to not follow through with any formal charges. 

So he was arguing on the phone while sitting in a traffic jam, when a police officer arrested him for something along the lines of "failing to cow-tow sufficiently". I don't see any mention of an actual crime. Maybe they released him for good reason.

Don't get me wrong, co-operating with the police is essential to an ordered society, but unless he actually did something illegal, there is no rational reason that it couldn't be resolved at the scene.

Yeah, no team is immune.

I'm just curious as to why the decision was made to not follow through with any formal charges. 

Sounds like there was major over reaction on both parties here. IPD doesn't care who you are, so for them to not press charges, there had to be a good reason.

Sounds like there was major over reaction on both parties here. IPD doesn't care who you are, so for them to not press charges, there had to be a good reason.

Yeah, I get that.  And, I'll admit that I am very naive as I have only had three such interactions with a police officer:

1.  I was stopped and given a warning for driving 57 in a 55 zone. (jerk)

2.  I was stopped and given a coupon for a free pizza for having my child in a car seat.  (sweet)

3.  I was stopped and should have been given a ticket for speeding, but was let go with a verbal warning.  (whew)

I was just under the impression that one had to comply with requests such as handing over one's license to an officer.  And, that refusal to do so would get one in trouble.

So he was arguing on the phone while sitting in a traffic jam, when a police officer arrested him for something along the lines of "failing to cow-tow sufficiently". I don't see any mention of an actual crime. Maybe they released him for good reason.

Don't get me wrong, co-operating with the police is essential to an ordered society, but unless he actually did something illegal, there is no rational reason that it couldn't be resolved at the scene.

But not blindly follow their every order

that's a weird story.  Did the people in a traffic jam call the police and they were still there when the police arrived?  Wasn't everyone following them then?

Anyway, Doss has anger issues.  He could have avoided the whole thing by calming down.

Traffic back up in that area can be irritating.........but not enraging.......to most people anyway.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 18, 2014 - questionable
Hidden by Nadine, April 18, 2014 - questionable

I understand that many people feel that way; but you also have to remember that in a time of need, you would probably love the cops for coming to your assistance. 

True, but ussucally cops do not get their to stop crimes. They get there when they're over. I find its best to just lug along the police with me. Particuarly, anywhere south of 38th st.

HPIM0926.jpg

(not mine...i wish) 

and for trips south of 16th st, north of washington, from college/rural to 465, and the whole 30th mlk white river area..well you know

rednechtechnical.jpg

that's a weird story.  Did the people in a traffic jam call the police and they were still there when the police arrived?  Wasn't everyone following them then?

Anyway, Doss has anger issues.  He could have avoided the whole thing by calming down.

Traffic back up in that area can be irritating.........but not enraging.......to most people anyway.

When I arrived (to use the Redbox machine), 3 officers were present (1 Clermont, 2 IMPD). They had him handcuffed and just sitting on the curb waiting in the CVS parking lot (presumably for the officer that took him to lockup). Everything was very calm at that point and he was just sitting there on the curb calmly and patiently. I went inside and came out. At that point, everyone was leaving the parking lot, including his car. Someone must have came and got it for him.

Like I said, I didn't even realize it was him until I saw the article.

I understand that many people feel that way; but you also have to remember that in a time of need, you would probably love the cops for coming to your assistance. 

True, but police ussually dont stop crimes. They get there when it is over.

It is best to depend on yourself for protection and safety (including safety from the police)

Yeah, no team is immune.

I don't know because I wasn't there, but my guess is the prosecutor decided that it's not worth the effort it would require to secure a conviction.

Also consider that being an NFL player Doss probably has access to enough funds to hire a really good defense attorney.  It's not likely going to be a court appointed attorney who will roll over and immediatly recommend a plea deal.  Instead this guy can hire a guy who's a real fighter in the court room.  

Which means that the prosecutor will likely have to spend more time and money into the case as well as have a extremely solid case in order to secure a conviction.  

I'm guessing the question is more of "is it in the best interest of the people of Indianapolis for the prosecutor to put in a ton of time, money, and energy to try to secure a conviction on a little disorderly conduct charge??"

That time, energy and money is probably better spent going after murderers, rapists, child molesters, etc.  

Also consider that this is going to be almost a completely eye witness testimony type of trial if it did go to trial.  So the defense attorney who is as I said going to be really really good is going to go into court and pretty much rip every prosecution witness a new one, go through everything he can find in their past and find any little thing to make their credibility come into question.  No incident that he can uncover would be too small for him to rip into people for.  If they stole a piece of chewing gum when they where 7, he'll be all over that.  If they ever lied to their employer about a sick day or lied on their application about their experience and he can prove it, he'll be all over it.  If they ever said one thing that might be construed as racist, that's gonna come up too.  He could easy have every witness looking like a serial liar, neo nazi, thug by the time the trial is over.  

So a even with the time, money and energy there is still a good chance he walks anyways.  

And remember it's just a disorderly conduct charge.  What happens if you convict. . . the guy pays a fine or does some community service.  Really just not worth the fight.  Prosecutor is picking his battles here.  And I would venture he's picking them well.  

>>> "Doss, who plays for the Jacksonville Jaguars"

Figures.

Doss played for the Baltimore Ravens for the past two seasons. He recently signed a two-year deal with the Jaguars worth $1.5 million and received a $65,000 signing bonus, according to ESPN.

Doss attended Ben Davis High School and Indiana University.

I bet it was his fiancee or wife he was argueing with good thing they were'nt in a elevator .

I don't know because I wasn't there, but my guess is the prosecutor decided that it's not worth the effort it would require to secure a conviction.

Also consider that being an NFL player Doss probably has access to enough funds to hire a really good defense attorney.  It's not likely going to be a court appointed attorney who will roll over and immediatly recommend a plea deal.  Instead this guy can hire a guy who's a real fighter in the court room.  

Which means that the prosecutor will likely have to spend more time and money into the case as well as have a extremely solid case in order to secure a conviction.  

I'm guessing the question is more of "is it in the best interest of the people of Indianapolis for the prosecutor to put in a ton of time, money, and energy to try to secure a conviction on a little disorderly conduct charge??"

That time, energy and money is probably better spent going after murderers, rapists, child molesters, etc.  

Also consider that this is going to be almost a completely eye witness testimony type of trial if it did go to trial.  So the defense attorney who is as I said going to be really really good is going to go into court and pretty much rip every prosecution witness a new one, go through everything he can find in their past and find any little thing to make their credibility come into question.  No incident that he can uncover would be too small for him to rip into people for.  If they stole a piece of chewing gum when they where 7, he'll be all over that.  If they ever lied to their employer about a sick day or lied on their application about their experience and he can prove it, he'll be all over it.  If they ever said one thing that might be construed as racist, that's gonna come up too.  He could easy have every witness looking like a serial liar, neo nazi, thug by the time the trial is over.  

So a even with the time, money and energy there is still a good chance he walks anyways.  

And remember it's just a disorderly conduct charge.  What happens if you convict. . . the guy pays a fine or does some community service.  Really just not worth the fight.  Prosecutor is picking his battles here.  And I would venture he's picking them well.  

You pretty much said what I was thinking which was . . . would the average Joe get off as easily?

I agree that it wouldn't have been worth the time and expense involved.

Besides, I'm sure that the noteriety was a bigger punishment than some fine that would have equated to pocket change. 

The problem is the bad apples and there are plenty of them just give the rest of the good ones a bad name.  

It does not help that more and more police departments are becoming militarized and I think many police officer fail to remember that they are there to protect and serve. 

Ultimately, I think the problem is that cops hold way to much power, but they are not held to a much higher standard than civilian population.  

You pretty much said what I was thinking which was . . . would the average Joe get off as easily?

I agree that it wouldn't have been worth the time and expense involved.

Besides, I'm sure that the noteriety was a bigger punishment than some fine that would have equated to pocket change. 

The average joe would likely be charged with it because he/she would either have to get a court appointed attorney or someone who isn't quite at the level that NFL players can afford.  

But the punishment wouldn't likely be very severe regardless.  

True, but police ussually dont stop crimes. They get there when it is over.

It is best to depend on yourself for protection and safety (including safety from the police)

Where have I heard this before?

giphy.gif

Maybe we should just do away with police all together and go back to the wild west days of living without law. It's better than something I supposed, that actually is meant to help.

The police are there to protect and serve you, yet people treat them like garbage in this country (much like the government that gets blamed on everything). Yes there is corruption, and police brutality, but at the same time, we have to be reminded how we don't need cops at all cause we can protect ourselves and that's better in every case.

Where have I heard this before?

giphy.gif

Maybe we should just do away with police all together and go back to the wild west days of living without law. It's better than something I supposed, that actually is meant to help.

The police are there to protect and serve you, yet people treat them like garbage in this country (much like the government that gets blamed on everything). Yes there is corruption, and police brutality, but at the same time, we have to be reminded how we don't need cops at all cause we can protect ourselves and that's better in every case.

I can make a solid argument that traffic fines are to generate income for the town/state and their purpose is not impose what the government says is "safe".

I love the detectives, and the beat police, etc but the current use of traffic cops is just a nationwide government scam to increase revenue.