Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yea he could play, we could use another pass rusher as a late round flyer. Just wouldn't want that media circus he is going to bring but he has no control over that

Really don't have a preference on the later round pass rushers but we should add one somewhere.

I just want to see Adongo in training camp and see how far he has come and if he is ready to contribute

Honestly, I just don't think there's going to be much of a media circus.

There will be all the first day questions and answers........       and then what?      That should just about do it.

The guy faced over 100 members of the media at the Combine and handled it all like a seasoned pro.

Between Sam being a mature guy and the Colts organization,  I just don't see it being much of an issue or distraction.

(I was going to say I think the whole thing is very over-blown,  but then thought better of it!)    :spit:    I can be a bad, bad boy sometimes!     :funny:

Dont want him, But it has nothing to do with him being gay

I agree with that Gavin. Sam seems to have tight not loose hips which doesn't impress me when he runs backward & attempts to go right or left as a fluid movement. He's a 5th or 6th rounder in the draft to me. 

Yeah I want an actual OLB prospect, not a guy whose a situational pass rusher at best. I think the Falcons is the team for them. Even though they seem to be leaning towards being a 3-4 team, they're defense is a hybrid front that would be able to utilize him greatly

I dont want him. He is gay. It will probably create problems.

Where will he shower/change etc? Some guys just arent going to be cool with that.

on top of all that, hes just not very good.

No thanks

so because hes gay means hes going to be checking his teammates out in the locker room? I think not. His sexual orientation should have no bearing on his football skills. Only ignorant people would think that. I only asked if people wanted him because the colts are showing interest in him. I didnt asknif you dont want him because he is gay. I dont care if hes black white orange purple gay straight bisexual as long as he can help the team win. Thats all that matters and right now we have one proven pass rusher in mathis. Heaven forbid he gets hurt. Then ehat do we do? 3-4 olbs arent a dime a dozen and most are converted de's

so because hes gay means hes going to be checking his teammates out in the locker room? I think not.

actually that is exactly what it means. especially considering the fact that it is pro athletes and not just average joes.

If I had to change and shower with a bunch of swim suit models... they would probably feel a little uncomfortable.

i guess it would be okay if he does that stuff in a different room, but if i owned the team it would just be too inconvenient to build another locker room for gays. I would say forget it. especially if the player was a 5th round questionable pick.

btw, there are more pass rushers in the draft then sam. you probably havent heard of them because theyre straight

actually that is exactly what it means. especially considering the fact that it is pro athletes and not just average joes.

If I had to change and shower with a bunch of swim suit models... they would probably feel a little uncomfortable.

i guess it would be okay if he does that stuff in a different room, but if i owned the team it would just be too inconvenient to build another locker room for gays. I would say forget it. especially if the player was a 5th round questionable pick.

btw, there are more pass rushers in the draft then sam. you probably havent heard of them because theyre straight

Or perhaps you have a much deeper issue concerning a persons sexuality......

Where will he shower/change etc? Some guys just arent going to be cool with that.

No thanks

Do you think Michael Sam is the first gay player to be in the NFL? Do you think this will be the first time a player's teammates know he's gay?

You make a valid point in bold. Everything else is pretty naive.

Do you think Michael Sam is the first gay player to be in the NFL? Do you think this will be the first time a player's teammates know he's gay?

You make a valid point in bold. Everything else is pretty naive.

I think that it would be ridiculous, in theory, to expect someone as part of their job to be subjected to being made feel uncomfortable sharing a lockerroom daily with a known homosexual. I think there are definitley people who will not feel comfortable with that, and I honestly think they have a fair claim. period.

I think that it would be ridiculous, in theory, to expect someone as part of their job to be subjected to being made feel uncomfortable sharing a lockerroom daily with a known homosexual. I think there are definitley people who will not feel comfortable with that, and I honestly think they have a fair claim. period.

What makes a person feel uncomfortable is their own business. The only real claim they would have, legally, is harassment, and that's only if there's harassment (being in the presence of a gay person in a locker room is not harassment). 

And again, Michael Sam wouldn't be the first, nor will he be the last. The only difference is that he's made his orientation public.

I am not calling you a bigot or a homophobe. You are entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else is. I just think you're being naive if you think Michael Sam is the first gay NFL player, or even the first gay NFL player to be open about it with his teammates. That being the case, your presumption that this would be a new problem is flawed. I'm sure there have been players to feel uncomfortable in the presence of a gay teammate in the locker room before. I don't think that's a good reason not to draft him to play football.

so because hes gay means hes going to be checking his teammates out in the locker room? I think not. His sexual orientation should have no bearing on his football skills. Only ignorant people would think that. I only asked if people wanted him because the colts are showing interest in him. I didnt asknif you dont want him because he is gay. I dont care if hes black white orange purple gay straight bisexual as long as he can help the team win. Thats all that matters and right now we have one proven pass rusher in mathis. Heaven forbid he gets hurt. Then ehat do we do? 3-4 olbs arent a dime a dozen and most are converted de's

To your point, if we were to draft Michael Sam, and Robert Mathis got hurt, we still wouldn't have a proven pass rusher. I don't think he's going to be a very good NFL player, especially not if he had to play our system. He's not very big, not very strong, not very athletic, doesn't have pass rush ability that will translate to the pros... I think he's a project as a 4-3 DE. I don't think he can play either OLB spot for us.

As a situational backup, he might be okay. But I don't think he'd fit with us very well.

To your point, if we were to draft Michael Sam, and Robert Mathis got hurt, we still wouldn't have a proven pass rusher. I don't think he's going to be a very good NFL player, especially not if he had to play our system. He's not very big, not very strong, not very athletic, doesn't have pass rush ability that will translate to the pros... I think he's a project as a 4-3 DE. I don't think he can play either OLB spot for us.

As a situational backup, he might be okay. But I don't think he'd fit with us very well.

This right here is what i was looking for. Someone to say he just isnt a good fit for our team. Not someone to say he doesnt fit our team because he is gay. Thank you for the insight.

No thanks

As a new member I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that this wasn't a joke post.

When Sam went public, the Colts were asked about it and everyone said they'd have no problem with Michael Sam.   None.

The only thing these guys care about.........  is winning.   Period.

The team's positive culture will take control of the situation.   There would be no problem.    None.   Zero.

The media will come, ask their questions, answers will be given, and that will be it.    It'll be over. 

If the Colts think Sam can help them,  they'll draft him...   late...  probably 5th or 6th round.   But they won't care that he's gay.

Welcome to the website.   That's quite an entrance you made there!

If we're going to cater for homophobes, are we going to cater for racists too? What if a few of our players aren't comfortable changing with black men? Do we stop drafting them?

right because guys in the NFL have never been made to share a lockerroom with other players who make them uncomfortable for other reasons...

Just like any of us who work there is probably going to be something about someone there who makes you feel a little uncomfortable but that's when you have to be professional and deal with it.

I don't care if someone is pink with purple pokadots and zebra stripes if he can help the Colts win I want him here and frankly that's the mentality most players in the NFL take towards their teammates. The question is can Sam help the Colts win games? That's up to Ryan Grigson and the front office to figure out. Rather he's gay or not doesn't factor into the answer to that question.

that is the problem with society. I cannot voice my opinion that is completely valid, because I will be made to feel like a gay-basher.

It is completely unfair of you to insinuate that from what Ive said.

you are entitled to whatever opinion you would like to have you are not entitled to controlling how others may respond to whatever opinion you have. He has just as much right to tell you what he got out of your statement as you have to make your statement to start with.

Also other people don't control how you feel. You do.

go back to the vandy/manning incident. Do you think those two felt completely comfortable with each other after that? Yet what did they do? They did what professionals do and put aside personal differences and worked towards a common goal. It's a team of 53 guys they aren't all going to have the same beliefs and ideals about life and I am sure some guys beliefs are going to make others uncomfortable yet if you are a good team you put that aside and focus on the main goal. Guys aren't here to cast judgement on how teammates live their lives they are here to help their team win football games and if the previous gets in the way of the later then it's the guy who is letting others lives impact what goes on on the field problem.

Also, the players who are the employees don't get to make the rules. Do you get to make the rules at your job or does your boss? In this case the boss is coach and front office. If a player doesn't like their rules they are free to quit just like anyone else who doesn't like his or her job but they also have to deal with the consequences of that choice and something about missing out on millions of dollars perhaps makes NFL players willing to put up with their bosses rules.

His teammates at Missouri didn't seem to have a problem.  So, I would think that teammates in the NFL wouldn't either (with the possible exception of someone like Vilma).

Mr. Sam said he began to wonder if he was gay in his early teens, though he had a girlfriend in high school. It was after he arrived at Missouri in 2009 that he realized for certain that he was gay. Teammates increasingly suspected as much, and some knew that he dated a man on the university’s swim team, but it never prevented Mr. Sam from being one of the most popular players on the team. He was known for his intensity on the field and his booming voice off it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/sports/michael-sam-college-football-star-says-he-is-gay-ahead-of-nfl-draft.html?_r=0

He dont have Jerry Hughes potential, He is not as agile and doesn't have half of the quick first step that Hughes does

A little worse... And I only disagree with the first step.. He gets off the ball well in my opinion.. He seems to lock his hips and he is not very good at turning tight corners

His teammates at Missouri didn't seem to have a problem.  So, I would think that teammates in the NFL wouldn't either (with the possible exception of someone like Vilma).

Mr. Sam said he began to wonder if he was gay in his early teens, though he had a girlfriend in high school. It was after he arrived at Missouri in 2009 that he realized for certain that he was gay. Teammates increasingly suspected as much, and some knew that he dated a man on the university’s swim team, but it never prevented Mr. Sam from being one of the most popular players on the team. He was known for his intensity on the field and his booming voice off it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/sports/michael-sam-college-football-star-says-he-is-gay-ahead-of-nfl-draft.html?_r=0

You have to wonder how many other exceptions there arebesides Vilma.