Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

run defense

OLD FAN MAN

Jones and Jackson will help it alot, now need to teach people to maintain their gaps

Hate to say it but Jackson won't help our run Defense... He can tackle but is almost a liability against the run it seems. He does take up blockers then chase but that's about it. He is more of a coverage linebacker for sure. Maybe it's how Cleveland used him the past couple years

I see a Huge turnaround.

BECAUSE:

Look who we are TAKING OUT from last season.
These guys were Terrible against the run.
Mathews

Franklin

Moala

Sheppard

Walden was terrible for at least the 1st half
Angerer was so so

I Hope Mathis is transitioned Away from a lot of 1st downs. A BIG help. He is out 250 + plus plays a season, make a lot of them 1st down. Stuff the run, THEN turn him loose. PLEASE!!

RJF will show us why he got the $$$ He will play well & Pressure the QB.

Arthur will make the guys beside him more effective.
 Chapman will be a Rock.
 Montori will ADD to our stoutness.
 Less snapps and better situations for Redding.
 Pendelton a hidden Jewell.

Much better Line play will free up Freeman to make even more plays at the line of scrimmage.
 Jackson should be in the right place much more often than what we got last season.
 McNary continues to improve.

Walden was better late and Again, will be playing beside much better players.
 Werner should improve.
 And the unknown from developing players like Cam Johnson, ...

We got the other Canadian guy Muamba I think we could be solid up the middle it's the edges that worry me a little would be nice to get a late round steal at OLB to help with the pass rush like Tyler Starr in the 6th

No one has mentioned Adongo, hopefully he can be as good as advertised last year with the other players talking about him. :goodluck:

Hate to say it but Jackson won't help our run Defense... He can tackle but is almost a liability against the run it seems. He does take up blockers then chase but that's about it. He is more of a coverage linebacker for sure. Maybe it's how Cleveland used him the past couple years

I've heard he's a bad player to stop the run. I've also heard he's a bad player in pass coverage. Can someone explain to me which one is correct? I'm going to put the unpopular obvious out here: our run defense will never be great until Mathis retires. Anyone who watched our games noticed how horrendous our run defense to his side was. He shoots up the field to get to the qb so quickly and no one else maintains the edge. Why do you think we gave up so many big outside runs? Walden did a damned good job setting the other side of the field for the most part.

I've heard he's a bad player to stop the run. I've also heard he's a bad player in pass coverage. Can someone explain to me which one is correct? I'm going to put the unpopular obvious out here: our run defense will never be great until Mathis retires. Anyone who watched our games noticed how horrendous our run defense to his side was. He shoots up the field to get to the qb so quickly and no one else maintains the edge. Why do you think we gave up so many big outside runs? Walden did a damned good job setting the other side of the field for the most part.

I think we will find that Jackson will be a bigger factor in the run game than some people think. I'll take a sure tackler with great awareness any day with great instincts any day. I that in the wake of him signing with the colts people have pulled up a few key plays where he lost his footing or overcommitted and deemed him bad against the run. I have yet to see a play, besides the occasional fluke which happens cause no one is perfect, where he made an egregious error against the run. I haven't gotten through all his snaps yet...but I am not seeing the terrible run play I keep reading about.

I think we will find that Jackson will be a bigger factor in the run game than some people think. I'll take a sure tackler with great awareness any day with great instincts any day. I that in the wake of him signing with the colts people have pulled up a few key plays where he lost his footing or overcommitted and deemed him bad against the run. I have yet to see a play, besides the occasional fluke which happens cause no one is perfect, where he made an egregious error against the run. I haven't gotten through all his snaps yet...but I am not seeing the terrible run play I keep reading about.

I think colts fans have no idea what a great ilb is. I mean think about it, when was the last great colts ilb?