Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

o-line

OLD FAN MAN

Well getting D Thomas back is a automatic upgrade. Also we make so much of the center position but I think we can all agree the cutting of Satele was significant. The other thing we have to look for is development. This goes for Thorton, Holmes, Costa, and Lance Louis.

Grigs is very high on Lance Louis and I think Thornton will be much better after having a year in the league and with the line..  having 2 good guards will also help our Center... I will not be surprised we if we draft a Guard and maybe one with one of top 2 picks.. possibly our 3rd...

Think were as good as were gonna get...

Castonzo

Thomas

Costa/Holmes

Thorton

Cherilus

Okay back ups

Not to bad I guess as long as the interior has improved... And we stay healthy..We will probably draft an interior lineman late in the draft....

We should be better than last year Atleast

Castonzo

Thomas

Costa/Holmes

Thorton

Cherilus

Okay back ups

Not to bad I guess as long as the interior has improved... And we stay healthy..We will probably draft an interior lineman late in the draft....

On paper, for sure. I like the backups, Reitz, Louis, Nixon.

Hopefully the unit stays healthy and gels.

But the answer is - We won't know until we see them in a game.

On paper I think we got slightly better considering Thomas gets healthy, Thornton gets experience and Satele is gone. Center is still a huge question. I still can't figure why Holmes did not even get activated most of the games last year yet it seems he's atleast going to be given the chance to compete for the starting position this year. I didn't really like the Costa signing but I'm willing to wait and see how this plays out.

I think we get an upgrade in the 2nd or 3rd I would love for us to go Bucannon Turner. It sucks we don't have another 3rd or a 4th we could really solidify the back end of the D in this draft.

I think Costa is going to be fine if Holmes can't cut it. The answer is no we did not do a lot here why I expect we go with OL in 2nd  or 3rd.

We are counting on Thomas or Louis to fill LG I think we will see improvement from Thorton back at rg

If the O-line stays healthy it will be better than last year, but quite possibly still not really good enough to run the sort of offense that Pagano/Pep want to run. I expect more of the same solid but unspectacular play at OT, maybe Castonzo will improve his pass protection slightly this year. The interior O-line was a disaster last yer, this year it figures to be better at each position - Thomas will be better than Thornton was at LG last year, Holmes should do better than Satele at C (not that that's saying much), and Thornton will be better than McGlynn was at RG (again, not hard to do). 

But the important thing not to forget is that we're talking about improving one of the worst O-lines in the NFL. And I do see improvement in store but the O-line is still likely to be one of the weaknesses of this team. Grigson didn't bring in a single guy of starter caliber. Maybe he'll do something to address the need in the draft, but it's not overly likely we'll get a guy who will start for 2014. I think if we can actually somehow field a good O-line in front of Luck we'll win a Superbowl fairly quickly.

Grigson has 2 starter Quality replacements in the ready. Holmes & Louis. Of course they continued playing THEIR guy Thornton no matter how bad he played, like Satele & McGlynn, so it will be nearly impossible for Louis to beat him out. Like Awful Mathews over Guy! Ugh!!
Lets hope Austin can beat out Costa, that would be a Good sign.

Grigson has 2 starter Quality replacements in the ready. Holmes & Louis. Of course they continued playing THEIR guy Thornton no matter how bad he played, like Satele & McGlynn, so it will be nearly impossible for Louis to beat him out. Like Awful Mathews over Guy! Ugh!!

But aren't Holmes and Louis "their guys" as well? He did also bring both of them in, afterall. I do agree that Reitz and Linkenbach were both victims of favoritism last year, as both should've been starting over McGlynn. And I think they continued to play Satele because of the size of his contract. Both are bad reasons to start one player over another even though the other player is clearly more talented. I have my reservations on the decisions of our line coach/OC/HC/GM (i.e whoever's bright idea it was to start McGlynn and Satele for 2 straight seasons)

I have more faith in Reitz than I do Louis to be honest. 

Castonzo

Thomas

Costa/Holmes

Thorton

Cherilus

Okay back ups

Good way to sum it up. Better than last year with Thomas (I guess--haven't seen enough of him to know for sure really-but can't be worse) and the loss of Satele is addition by subtraction. To be honest, IMHO, Thornton did not impress me, but hopefully will improve with time. And to be totally honest, I would have thought Grigs would have gotten another solid (if not above average) interior lineman by now. But the offseason is still not over.