Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Funniest Revelation EVER from Colts Weekly Mailbag!

NewColtsFan

A fan wrote in and asked if Grigson reads the mailbag.....

And the answer is a very surprising (at least, to me....) and resounding YES!!    Apparently Craig Kelley and his staff make copies of the questions and comments and send them around the building and Grigson reads them!!

Honestly, I was so NOT expecting that.    I suspect all of us -- me included -- give Grigson and the front office a very big laugh on a weekly basis!

Here's the exchange....

ISAK H. (from Mexico City, Mexico) Does Ryan Grigson read the mailbag?  It would be hilarious if he did.   We speak so badly of our centers all the time and he could have a good laugh.

A:  You bet Ryan reads it.   We pass out clippings daily, and the mailbag is sent along internally each Thursday.   From time-to-time, I bounce things off Chuck and Ryan so answers are meaty.   No one penalizes fans for their thoughts, as long as they are presently fairly.   Ryan and all of us don’t have to agree with what is said, but all of us have a great appreciation for people who follow the team.   We couldn’t exist without our fans, and we have a great base of them.   Criticisms?   It goes with the job.  We just focus internally to be the best we can be.   That’s our job.   It’s your job and that of others to keep firing questions our way.

On a personal note, I thought Kelley's response was not only surprising, but I also found it very classy.  Anyone who ends by saying that it's your job (the fans) to keep firing questions their way really, really sees the Big Picture and understands the relationship between the team and their fans.

And I have to tell you, many teams don't get that.......    glad the Colts do....

I just wish I could get any kind of response back regarding whether or not Ryan Grigson is ever going to do a monthly GM corner column. I never did get any feedback from that or I don't recall seeing it anyway. 

Yes, I realize Grigs has more pressing matters to attend to than little ole me. I know that. Otherwise, I am pleased with how swiftly he has turned the Colts into a Playoff contender. No real complaints at all TBH.

I just heard the G.M of the Houston Rockets say that he reads his forums, and that he takes bits of advice.

Weird. I guess I was wrong in thinking that we're spitting into the wind as it relates to anyone in the organization looking at this stuff.

It shouldn't be super surprising he at least looks at them a little bit. I think that the Colts understand on an organizational level that the Colts will never get their fair share of national sports talk time. They are sort of caught in that in between spot between teams that never get talk (Jaguars, Raiders) and the super sexy fun-time teams like the Patriots, Jets, and 49ers. So it seems to me that they try to be very intentional about their openness to fans. All other issues aside, Jim Irsay is an amazing owner in that respect, despite the amount of crap he takes for it. Many times NFL teams have a sort of "drug dealer" mentality towards their fans. They give you a little and they know you'll keep coming back because you have to have what they're selling. The Colts realize that in order to keep their customers (the fans) in a smaller market happy you have to win AND/OR create a community among fans that can weather the hard times. I think the colts have been doing a great job of both.

It shouldn't be super surprising he at least looks at them a little bit. I think that the Colts understand on an organizational level that the Colts will never get their fair share of national sports talk time. They are sort of caught in that in between spot between teams that never get talk (Jaguars, Raiders) and the super sexy fun-time teams like the Patriots, Jets, and 49ers. So it seems to me that they try to be very intentional about their openness to fans. All other issues aside, Jim Irsay is an amazing owner in that respect, despite the amount of crap he takes for it. Many times NFL teams have a sort of "drug dealer" mentality towards their fans. They give you a little and they know you'll keep coming back because you have to have what they're selling. The Colts realize that in order to keep their customers (the fans) in a smaller market happy you have to win AND/OR create a community among fans that can weather the hard times. I think the colts have been doing a great job of both.

Also! I realize the irony that I referenced other teams being like drug dealers in the same comment where I tried to put Irsay's "...other issues..." aside. So....oops.

He also said CB isn't play for the 2nd round pick at all. Hopefully that doesn't mean they definitely won't draft one or think they're ok at that position..

Is the "he" you refer to Grigson? I think so, but hope not. We are extremely thin at CB. When Toler goes down again, we move Butler from the slot and then practice squad corner Sheldon Price is next man up? 

I just heard the G.M of the Houston Rockets say that he reads his forums, and that he takes bits of advice.

Weird. I guess I was wrong in thinking that we're spitting into the wind as it relates to anyone in the organization looking at this stuff.

Just playing Devils Advocate here; but what would happen if an owner or Front Office said they don't pay any attention to the fans input?

I am not certain; however, it sounds better from a public relations standpoint for every sports organization to say they do listen to the fans.

Is the "he" you refer to Grigson? I think so, but hope not. We are extremely thin at CB. When Toler goes down again, we move Butler from the slot and then practice squad corner Sheldon Price is next man up? 

No I was talking about Craig Kelley. He said he talks to Grigson and Grigson reads the mailbag and Kelley wrote any position could be in play with the 2nd round pick except QB, kickers, LBs, and CBs. I just hope that doesn't mean they believe they're settled at corner.

LEVI F. (from Grand Ridge, FL) What position do you think Ryan Grigson is going to take with our first pick and who do you think it might be?  I think CB would be a good choice, and a guy like Lamarcus Joyner would fit.  He can play both S and CB.  He’s a good example of what I think our defense needs.

A:  If I were to guess, it would be a blind one.  Other than QB, kickers, LBs and CBs, I think anything could be in play.  Since I’ve always told readers I won’t snow them on Xs-and-Os, I’ll plead the fifth here as it relates to us.  I think we have a great deal of money committed on the corners, but we do like multi-positional value.  We’ll know within the next 25 days or so, and I’m sure I’ll get this question again.

Players? Why do you read this stuff? What possible good comes of it? To see what we think of you? Trust, if you make any plays on the regular basis, you have fans here. IF you don't, well just pretend we ignore you and have no opinion of you. Just go play ball.

I think Grigs and Pags read because it's just a way to think outside the box or see the team from different perspectives.

Players? Why do you read this stuff? What possible good comes of it? To see what we think of you? Trust, if you make any plays on the regular basis, you have fans here. IF you don't, well just pretend we ignore you and have no opinion of you. Just go play ball.

I think Grigs and Pags read because it's just a way to think outside the box or see the team from different perspectives.

Exactly Joker. Just learn your playbook & swarm to the football & everything else will fall into place.