Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hakeem Nicks will wear #14 [Merge]

Dustin

We need to stop retiring so many numbers.. We can't just retire all numbers in the 80s.. Keep not to priorities, all time, top 3 at their position all time. Marv, Peyton, Unitas, etc.

Retired jerseys should be used for transcendent players. That's Unitas and Manning. Marvin falls into the same category as John Mackey; Great and HOFer, not transcendent.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Nicks change numbers after the preseason cuts.

Could be, some of these guys take it very seriously. Remember when Rhodes came back and tried to get Bullits number? Melvin wouldn't give it up because he wore it to honor his dad.

Then, some of them want a fresh start with a new number.

Retired jerseys should be used for transcendent players. That's Unitas and Manning. Marvin falls into the same category as John Mackey; Great and HOFer, not transcendent.

I agree, yet this is our list of retired numbers....

18 - Manning

19 - Unitas

22 - Buddy Young

24 - Lenny Moore

70 - Art Donovan

77 - Jim Parker

82 - Raymond Berry

89 - Gino Marchetti

That's a lot of numbers retired, and all but Peyton played for Baltimore. Buddy Young played for 3 years with the Colts. They were all good players, but I wouldn't consider any of them transcendent. Throw in Marvin's number and Reggie's in a couple years, and people are going to have to wear decimals.

I agree, yet this is our list of retired numbers....

18 - Manning

19 - Unitas

22 - Buddy Young

24 - Lenny Moore

70 - Art Donovan

77 - Jim Parker

82 - Raymond Berry

89 - Gino Marchetti

That's a lot of numbers retired, and all but Peyton played for Baltimore. Buddy Young played for 3 years with the Colts. They were all good players, but I wouldn't consider any of them transcendent. Throw in Marvin's number and Reggie's in a couple years, and people are going to have to wear decimals.

I doubt Marv or Reg will have their numbers retired.

88 is Marvin Harrison. Marvin was as must of a part of this franchise as Peyton was. When he went down so did our team. It was the coming of the end of the Manning era. Now if Nicks changed to 88 he better play like it.

I never understood the mystique of jersey numbers anyway outside of the QB position. Look, I get that free agents wanna keep their old number from their previous squad if they can & negotiate with the current player for their desired number, but unless you're wearing double zeros on your back, does it really matter all that much? Not really. 

I doubt Marv or Reg will have their numbers retired.

Marvin's number may not be officially retired, but obviously Nicks isn't wearing it for some reason. Typically players want to keep the same number when they change teams if it's at all possible, so that leads me to believe 88 is not available. It's a pretty popular number and yet it hasn't been worn in 6 years. If 88 is unavailable, I have a feeling 87 will be as well. Reggie won't hit Marvin's TD record, but he'll surpass him in yards and catches if he plays another two years. 

Either way, I'm not a fan of all this retiring numbers business. I wouldn't even care if somebody wore 18. It's just a number and they shouldn't be retired. We should remember names, not the number attached to them.