Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Film Review on OG Lance Louis

HtownColt

For those people who doesn't know too much about Lance Louis. Colts Authority charted 4 of his games from 2012. they picked games that represented some of his best and worst work and a couple in the middle, according to Pro Football Focus (subscription required): week 1 vs. the Colts (1.6 overall grade), week 2 at Green Bay (3.4), week 8 vs. Carolina (0.8) and week 10 vs. Houston (-3.0). Overall, PFF gave him a -1.8 grade, including 5.7 in pass blocking and -8.0 in run blocking.

link: http://coltsauthority.com/2014-articles/dregs-of-the-roster-lance-louis-film-review.html

For whatever it's worth,  Grigson's comments about Louis say that the tape he viewed of Louis was prior to the 2012 season opener vs. the Colts.

So,  he was either watching pre-season tape from 2012, or, more likely,  2011 film.    That's my hunch.   I don't know how Louis graded out in 2011,  but Grigson thought he was the Bears best OL and would command a good free agent contract after the 2012 season....

For whatever it's worth,  Grigson's comments about Louis say that the tape he viewed of Louis was prior to the 2012 season opener vs. the Colts.

So,  he was either watching pre-season tape from 2012, or, more likely,  2011 film.    That's my hunch.   I don't know how Louis graded out in 2011,  but Grigson thought he was the Bears best OL and would command a good free agent contract after the 2012 season....

I hope it wasn't Louis' 2011 tape that made Grigson want to sign him.

From the article....

But before we all get carried away and anoint him the savior of the Colts’ offensive line, keep in mind that PFF gave him some frighteningly bad scores in 2011: -28.0 overall, -16.7 pass blocking, -10.1 run blocking. Those figures would make Samson Satele blush. In Louis’s defense, though, most of his struggles came when he was pressed into duty at right tackle, which is not his natural position.

From the article....

But before we all get carried away and anoint him the savior of the Colts’ offensive line, keep in mind that PFF gave him some frighteningly bad scores in 2011: -28.0 overall, -16.7 pass blocking, -10.1 run blocking. Those figures would make Samson Satele blush. In Louis’s defense, though, most of his struggles came when he was pressed into duty at right tackle, which is not his natural position.

That's what I'm hoping the issue was.....

Either that......    OR.....

Grigson was watching pre-season tape.....

As far as I can tell,  those are the only two choices......

He was god awful at RT.....Houston I meant tore him up at RT(Louis gave up 7 sacks mostly to Houston of KC), he is sturdy at pass blocking at RG from what I saw and pulls well but not a consistent drive blocker at all

He was god awful at RT.....Umenyiora at Atlanta tore him up, Does not have the feet for Tackle, I dont think he is a mauler in the run game from the films I saw at Right Guard either but is a solid Pulling Guard and sturdy when pass blocking from there, I would not have siged him but we shall see what happens...Though if past performance is an indicator.......Ouch

When did he play against Umenyiora with Atlanta?

He was god awful at RT.....Houston I meant tore him up at RT(Louis gave up 7 sacks mostly to Houston of KC), he is sturdy at pass blocking at RG from what I saw and pulls well but not a consistent drive blocker at all

He gave up 5 of the 7 total sacks that game lol. Yea they had their way with him that game playing tackle

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-12-05/sports/ct-spt-1206-pompei-film-session--20111206_1_sacks-offensive-linemen-lance-louis

Lance Louis, who came into the game playing better than any of the offensive linemen, had a complete meltdown. He lost his footwork, lost his confidence and allowed five of the seven sacks.

Louis was beaten every which way, including on a stunt for the first sack of the game that cost the Bears a field goal attempt. He was beaten off the edge by a defensive end as well as a linebacker. He gave up a sack on an inside counter move. And he was beaten on an inside swim move.

Louis also was penalized for holding Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson and was fortunate it was not called a safety, because he appeared to be in the end zone.

From the article....

Some guys who can play well on the inside just do not have the feet to play tackle.  

Ultimately you just can't put a square peg in a round hole.  

I'm more interested in how he rates as a guard.  I think Xavier Nixon would be our #2 OT anyways if we where to lose Costanzo or Cherilus.  

We will have the guys in the training facility Pre-draft.
Hopefully everyone looks good, is healthy and our staff feels good with what we have.
If not, Maybe a Gabe Jackson in the 2nd or some other G in the 3rd. The Line MUST get better that is for sure.

I`m not worried at all about Holmes, if he goes down, here comes Satele II.

I think Louis has the potential to be a solid OL, but he's no blue-chipper and he has an injury history now.  He's a low-risk, high potential reward guy.  But, he, Costa, Reitz, Austin, and Nixon are the entire field for back-up OG so far.  Not a stellar group.  Reitz is very good at pass-blocking from the LG position, but he can't run-block at all.  Costa is a very low level talent, but he's a hard worker in the mold of McGlynn (ick).  Nixon was out of place at OG last year, and his duties at back-up RT will likely make him no better than an emergency fill-in option at RG.  Austin - I think he's a possibility at center and OG, but he's far from a certainty with the way he's bounced around PSs during his career.  To me, the top back-up OGs are in the following order: 1) Louis, 2) Austin, 3) Costa.  I'm not really certain there is a keeper amongst them.  I would love to draft us a future starting OG, and flesh out any remaining back-up interior players from the above list...

I think in the end just trying to cobble together an offensive line is a recipe that won't last. I think you will always get inconsistant play that way...especially if you have any injuries along the way. Typically you have to invest in draft picks to really have success on an offensive line...usually* in the first couple rounds. So far Grigson hasn't done that...he did spend a lot on a free agent RT but he has mostly tried retreds and marginal talents with the other positions. Not saying he isn't doing a good job but he has left the most work to be done on the OL. I could say it would have been nice to have used our first rounder this year on a starting guard or at least our second rounder..and we may very well do that..but trading a first round pick for a running back kind of eliminates that. The issue isn't so much Trent isn't going to be a good running back but rather the difference between him and what we can get on the market isn't much different (talent wise) and we paid a hefty price for a starting back. Left to fill our offensive line issues the gap between a first round lineman and the pieces we have been forced to add...well is signifantly wider than Trent to our second back or a replacement back on the market. I really hope we heavily focus on our line in the early part of our drafts the next few years.

I think in the end just trying to cobble together an offensive line is a recipe that won't last. I think you will always get inconsistant play that way...especially if you have any injuries along the way. Typically you have to invest in draft picks to really have success on an offensive line...usually* in the first couple rounds. So far Grigson hasn't done that...he did spend a lot on a free agent RT but he has mostly tried retreds and marginal talents with the other positions. Not saying he isn't doing a good job but he has left the most work to be done on the OL. I could say it would have been nice to have used our first rounder this year on a starting guard or at least our second rounder..and we may very well do that..but trading a first round pick for a running back kind of eliminates that. The issue isn't so much Trent isn't going to be a good running back but rather the difference between him and what we can get on the market isn't much different (talent wise) and we paid a hefty price for a starting back. Left to fill our offensive line issues the gap between a first round lineman and the pieces we have been forced to add...well is signifantly wider than Trent to our second back or a replacement back on the market. I really hope we heavily focus on our line in the early part of our drafts the next few years.

I don't think you need to spend high picks on centers or guards. I'm not against it mind you, but it isn't required to have a good Oline. I don't think Jimmy Johnson ever spent a high pick on any offensive lineman and they dominated like few have.

I don't think you need to spend high picks on centers or guards. I'm not against it mind you, but it isn't required to have a good Oline. I don't think Jimmy Johnson ever spent a high pick on any offensive lineman and they dominated like few have.

No generally those first rounders are tackles..but I think if you want a great running game...its easier to build it from the line out and draft a late rd back or bring in a cheaper free agent than to have a great back and cobble together mediocre lineman.