Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster Analysis: Josh Chapman

TKnight24

Would like to see Josh in a little better physical condition ,Im still a fan and expect big things from him.

I was all for the weight gain at first....not so much now.  I am hoping like you 'in shape' with what weight he carries is the game-breaker!!! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  ERRR...scale breaker?

I was all for the weight gain at first....not so much now.  I am hoping like you 'in shape' with what weight he carries is the game-breaker!!! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  ERRR...scale breaker?

He was carrying quite a pouch last year ,would like to see him lean and mean around 325

Chap was a beast in college guys, he really was the anchor for that Alabama defense, but everytime i think of him all that comes to mind is that play on the goal line in Cincy, amazing play, how the refs botched that call i still do not know. Something is wrong when the announcers and viewers at home have a better view of the play than the ref, cause it was clear what happened to everyone else, or maybe its just cause it was in Cincy i dont know

Chap was a beast in college guys, he really was the anchor for that Alabama defense, but everytime i think of him all that comes to mind is that play on the goal line in Cincy, amazing play, how the refs botched that call i still do not know. Something is wrong when the announcers and viewers at home have a better view of the play than the ref, cause it was clear what happened to everyone else, or maybe its just cause it was in Cincy i dont know

No one ever told you about the conspiracy against the :colts: ?

haha

I love me some Chappy.  Was a huge fan of his at Alabama and he was my favorite pick from the 2012 draft.  His was the only pick that got me to yell out loud when his name was called. :D 

As for his size...I'll leave that to the trainers and coaches.  If they think he should lose a few pounds then I'm sure they'll modify his exercise routine to help him do that. 

325?? Well we all know the Patriots aren't the best at telling the truth lol. 

Yep, just like my old man. He doesn't lie. He [bB] just have a colorful way of inflating the truth to his advantage. It's like creative accounting practices without an ironclad decimal point.  haha

I love me some Josh Chapman.

I just wish there was a little less of Josh Chapman to love!!

I'm with others here hoping he'll someday be in the 325-330 camp.

340?   Just too big.

A thinner Josh Chapin. Let me contemplate that for a moment. Less big MAC in our road grader...Probably a good idea less weight on his knees, legs, & ankles. Just as long as he is still an immovable force who won't lose any leverage on the line. Collapse that QB pocket like a popped balloon Mr. Chapman. 

The Great Wall of chapman.

As far as weight, if he can play at 340 like he is 325 then it doesn't matter. If he is losing speed and explosiveness due to the weight gain then it may need to come off. It's all in what is being asked of him. Cause what I've seen of him is he is a total anchor who can take in a double team without being moved. Now he's not going to give you a pass rush. But when he was in the runs up the gut came to a halt. Wilfork is just a freak. A man his size being able to move like that. He has pure power and explosiveness. Hopefully the Great Wall of chapman will have more of that going into his second year on the field.

A thinner Josh Chapin. Let me contemplate that for a moment. Less big MAC in our road grader...Probably a good idea less weight on his knees, legs, & ankles. Just as long as he is still an immovable force who won't lose any leverage on the line. Collapse that QB pocket like a popped balloon Mr. Chapman. 

Brother even at 325 ,hes a road grader ,lets not forget I think hes 6ft 1".IMO it will make him quicker off the ball ,and as you said save stress on the knees. :thmup: Just maybe bullrush to qb.

The Great Wall of chapman.

As far as weight, if he can play at 340 like he is 325 then it doesn't matter. If he is losing speed and explosiveness due to the weight gain then it may need to come off. It's all in what is being asked of him. Cause what I've seen of him is he is a total anchor who can take in a double team without being moved. Now he's not going to give you a pass rush. But when he was in the runs up the gut came to a halt. Wilfork is just a freak. A man his size being able to move like that. He has pure power and explosiveness. Hopefully the Great Wall of chapman will have more of that going into his second year on the field.

that's what I assumed too after watching him at Alabama, and I was fine with that.  Last season though I was pleasantly surprised with the pass rush that chapman got in a few opportunities.  He definitely got some pressures because I can remember at least a few times that he was a half step away from getting a sack.  I believe one of those times was the first play against NE in the playoffs...he swallowed Brady on that play but Brady was able to get the ball out just before going down.  Chappy didn't get the sack but I think it was still an incomplete pass.  

Maybe if he did drop 10-15 lbs, that would give him just enough of an extra step to close the deal.  Now THAT would be awesome. :)

that's what I assumed too after watching him at Alabama, and I was fine with that. Last season though I was pleasantly surprised with the pass rush that chapman got in a few opportunities. He definitely got some pressures because I can remember at least a few times that he was a half step away from getting a sack. I believe one of those times was the first play against NE in the playoffs...he swallowed Brady on that play but Brady was able to get the ball out just before going down. Chappy didn't get the sack but I think it was still an incomplete pass.

Maybe if he did drop 10-15 lbs, that would give him just enough of an extra step to close the deal. Now THAT would be awesome. :)

Losing weight can go both ways. You may lose a little strength but gain speed. And with the extra weight you can use that to help stand your ground. As long the weight he is carrying is mostly solid and gut doesn't hurt much. That's why you don't see many shredded power lifters or world strongest men competitors.

On the front of the website today,  there's another positional story....

This one is about..........................  the defensive line.

The lineman who is featured?        Chapman.

And Kevin Bowen referred to him in the story as.................................  350!

I don't know if that's the truth or a typo,   but I wasn't happy to read that.

On the front of the website today,  there's another positional story....

This one is about..........................  the defensive line.

The lineman who is featured?        Chapman.

And Kevin Bowen referred to him in the story as.................................  350!

I don't know if that's the truth or a typo,   but I wasn't happy to read that.

That's where he was at end of year ,well over weight.

Jamal Williams, Casey Hampton, vince wilfork. All great nt's who were huge! Well over 325 and asked to do what chapman is. And that is to eat up space, take on double teams and shut the run down up the gut. His weight is not an issue as long as he has the strength and mobility to go with it. Last year was his first year coming off a knee injury. I look for him to be much better this year.

that's what I assumed too after watching him at Alabama, and I was fine with that.  Last season though I was pleasantly surprised with the pass rush that chapman got in a few opportunities.  He definitely got some pressures because I can remember at least a few times that he was a half step away from getting a sack.  I believe one of those times was the first play against NE in the playoffs...he swallowed Brady on that play but Brady was able to get the ball out just before going down.  Chappy didn't get the sack but I think it was still an incomplete pass.  

Maybe if he did drop 10-15 lbs, that would give him just enough of an extra step to close the deal.  Now THAT would be awesome. :)

The first offensive play NE did was a 2 yard td by Blount, Bradys first pass came at 11:07 of the 1st Quarter out of the shotgun......Chapman didn't come close to a pressure

The first offensive play NE did was a 2 yard td by Blount, Bradys first pass came at 11:07 of the 1st Quarter out of the shotgun......Chapman didn't come close to a pressure

Chapman is rarely going to come close to a pressure.    And you know it.

That's not his game.    I have no idea why you'd even bring it up.

He's a two-down run-stuffing,  o-lineman devouring Nose Tackle.

Pressuring the quarterback is rarely going to show up on his stat sheet.

NOTE:   after making this post, I now see that you were responding to another poster....

Sorry for the confusion....     my bad.