Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the future of the NFL after Manning/Brady...

TDavis58

2 year totals-

Cam Newton- 9,400 Yd, 62 TD, 34 turnovers

Andrew Luck- 8,828 Yd, 55 TD, 34 turnovers

(Newton 3rd yr- 3,964 Yd, 30 TD, 14 turnovers)

Wilson, Kaepernick, Griffin, etc will fall to the wayside. And not a moment too soon. I predict multiple Super Bowl meetings between Luck & Newton.

2 year totals-

Andrew Luck- 8,828 Yd, 55 TD, 34 turnovers

(Newton 3rd yr- 3,964 Yd, 30 TD, 14 turnovers)

Wilson, Kaepernick, Griffin, etc will fall to the wayside. And not a moment too soon. I predict multiple Super Bowl meetings between Luck & Newton.

Oh my. What is your reasoning for believing the SB winning QB and the QB that faced him in the NFCCG will fall off the map? Most are already comparing Wilson to Brady. And assuming this incident in Miami does not turn ugly, Kaep is the future of the niners. And even RG should have a better year with a new HC and arguable the most potent offensive weapons surrounding him.

Newton on the other hand just had ankle surgery sidelining him for four months and does not have anywhere near the weapons as the young QBs. I still like the Panthers a lot though especially to come out of the South again but right now my money is on Wilson/Seattle and Kaep/Niners to be the teams to beat in the NFC for a long time.

In terms of Luck, right now it looks like he has the easier path coming of the AFC but have to see how this years crop of young QBs ends up landing in the AFC as he will have some competition if it does. But he will have no rivalry with any of the NFC guys. Right now THE rivalry is Wilson/Kaep who play twice a year every year.

So you quote the stats of just Luck and Newton and think that somehow puts them above the other guys? There is the slimmest of margins separating all these young QBs right now. Even RG has maybe the best set of weapons this year and a new HC.

The rivalry going forward is Wilson/Kaep because they are playing on the two best teams and in the same division. I do see Newton and RG challenging them though.

The AFC is up in the air. Luck right now has no young challenger other than Dalton, Flacco and Tannenhill. But he does have in his conference Roethlisberger and Rivers. We will see how this year's draft pans out and who the Texans take at QB as that could be the rivalry in the AFC to go along with Kaep/Wilson.

2 year totals-

Andrew Luck- 8,828 Yd, 55 TD, 34 turnovers(Newton 3rd yr- 3,964 Yd, 30 TD, 14 turnovers)

Beyond the fact that you are using simplistic fantasy football stats which do little to measure quarterback efficiency, what are you basing your your claim on that Wilson, Kaepernick, and Griffin will fall by the wayside?

2 year totals-

Andrew Luck- 8,828 Yd, 55 TD, 34 turnovers(Newton 3rd yr- 3,964 Yd, 30 TD, 14 turnovers)

Also, since you're using rather raw and simplistic stats here, Newton has passed for progressively fewer yards in each of his three seasons, rushed for progressively fewer yards in each of his three seasons, and produced fewer touchdowns in his second and third seasons than he did in his rookie year. So, based on the stats you provided, where exactly is the career arc you believe is leading Newton to surpass every other young QB except Luck?

I have said this before.

Wilson/Luck will be the new Manning/Brady.

They won't play each other though nearly as much because they are in separate conferences. They will only play every four years.

I see it more as Wilson /Kaep because they are in the same division so they will play the most and have already had an NFCCG against each other. I also see Newton and RG in the mix as well given they are all the same conference.

i think we as football fans should pay more attn to watching REAL games.  Some of the young members think Madden and Fantasy football has something to do with a Mathis spin to the QB....Please come to football reality.

Watch the OL block (or not block in our case last year :))  Analyze defensive concepts and disguises...the list goes on including special teams!

I can only hope one thing reigns true...Luck in Multiple Super Bowls with more than 1 or two wins. :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!!

A wee bit of BLIND Homerism but nobody got hurt. :thmsup:

I guess i would bet on the Seattle organization over Carolina.

Seems like there are usually 5,6,7 QB`s in the game that look like they can Help Carry a team to the SB.

Free Agency, the W/L slotted draft and the injuries caused by large muscle bound masses colliding make it very difficuly to maintain roster quality. Andrew getting to a SB ... well TWO get there so ...

PFF had Andrew as their statistical 12-13th? i think, rated QB. He was the 1st in the group with a neg rating in the passing category.

Yes I know there is probably ONLY Two people on this Forum that understand how that Might be possible.
 Andrew has some Amazing Qualities that are a Great Foundation.
  I look forward to seeing him work on his Passing Issues with a little more time to throw and a better running game.

He DESERVES That!!
  I Expect him to be something near an Elite passer in year 4-5. See the whole field, finding his checkdowns, hitting his timing routes with precisely placed balls. He has a LONG way to go.

In todays NFL with so many mediocre to teams, it is clear you can win in the regular season without all those skills, but come Playoff time?

7 Int.`s just won`t get it!
 haha! Unless you are you know who with 3 TD`s & 7 Int.`s in his SB winning run. Must have been the running game. :thmup:

A wee bit of BLIND Homerism but nobody got hurt. :thmsup:

I guess i would bet on the Seattle organization over Carolina.

Seems like there are usually 5,6,7 QB`s in the game that look like they can Help Carry a team to the SB.

Free Agency, the W/L slotted draft and the injuries caused by large muscle bound masses colliding make it very difficuly to maintain roster quality. Andrew getting to a SB ... well TWO get there so ...

PFF had Andrew as their statistical 12-13th? i think, rated QB. He was the 1st in the group with a neg rating in the passing category.

Yes I know there is probably ONLY Two people on this Forum that understand how that Might be possible.

Andrew has some Amazing Qualities that are a Great Foundation.

I look forward to seeing him work on his Passing Issues with a little more time to throw and a better running game.

He DESERVES That!!

I Expect him to be something near an Elite passer in year 4-5. See the whole field, finding his checkdowns, hitting his timing routes with precisely placed balls. He has a LONG way to go.

In todays NFL with so many mediocre to teams, it is clear you can win in the regular season without all those skills, but come Playoff time?

7 Int.`s just won`t get it!

haha! Unless you are you know who with 3 TD`s & 7 Int.`s in his SB winning run. Must have been the running game. :thmup:

Hmmmm....Modern and Dudeski?  :spit:

Oh my. What is your reasoning for believing the SB winning QB and the QB that faced him in the NFCCG will fall off the map? Most are already comparing Wilson to Brady. And assuming this incident in Miami does not turn ugly, Kaep is the future of the niners. And even RG should have a better year with a new HC and arguable the most potent offensive weapons surrounding him.

Newton on the other hand just had ankle surgery sidelining him for four months and does not have anywhere near the weapons as the young QBs. I still like the Panthers a lot though especially to come out of the South again but right now my money is on Wilson/Seattle and Kaep/Niners to be the teams to beat in the NFC for a long time.

In terms of Luck, right now it looks like he has the easier path coming of the AFC but have to see how this years crop of young QBs ends up landing in the AFC as he will have some competition if it does. But he will have no rivalry with any of the NFC guys. Right now THE rivalry is Wilson/Kaep who play twice a year every year.

Ehh I'd really like to see how either of these two guys play on mediocre teams first.  IMO they get too much credit because the teams around them are strong.

Seattle especially last year had an epic level defense.  Once rookie contracts start running out on their key guys and they don't have the team they once had then we'll see how it goes.  They already lost some key guys already and are gonna lost more in the next 2 seasons.  

Ehh I'd really like to see how either of these two guys play on mediocre teams first.  IMO they get too much credit because the teams around them are strong.

Seattle especially last year had an epic level defense.  Once rookie contracts start running out on their key guys and they don't have the team they once had then we'll see how it goes.  They already lost some key guys already and are gonna lost more in the next 2 seasons.  

That is true of any QB. No Qb carries a team by himself but Kaep pretty much carried his team offensively in the post-season this year. And Wilson made all the plays to keep his team rolling in the toughest division with very average offensive talent surrounding him. And one could argue that Newton had the worst offense surrounding him last year and he made hay with it. And of course Luck helped carry a very injured Indy team into the post-season. So, I think all of these guys have the goods.

I think the NFL wants RG3 to be the face of the league. I don't recall someone ever getting as much attention and media coverage as RG3. 

The guy could go to a nightclub with his buddies and it would most likely be front page of ESPN or NFL.com ...

I know he plays in one of the largest markets in the country... but it sometimes is just annoying that the media acts like paparazzi around that guy... you almost feel sorry for him. 

That is true of any QB. No Qb carries a team by himself but Kaep pretty much carried his team offensively in the post-season this year. And Wilson made all the plays to keep his team rolling in the toughest division with very average offensive talent surrounding him. And one could argue that Newton had the worst offense surrounding him last year and he made hay with it. And of course Luck helped carry a very injured Indy team into the post-season. So, I think all of these guys have the goods.

Newton and Luck I have no questions about, both those guys have played on teams without tons of talent around them.  Wilson and Kap have always had a lot of talent around them.  

Their O-lines are good and their RB's are good.  

I want to see how they do when they have to start winning most games for themselves instead of just handing the ball to Lynch or Gore.

Newton and Luck I have no questions about, both those guys have played on teams without tons of talent around them.  Wilson and Kap have always had a lot of talent around them.  

Their O-lines are good and their RB's are good.  

I want to see how they do when they have to start winning most games for themselves instead of just handing the ball to Lynch or Gore.

The niners, hawks and panthers all rushed for more than 2,000 yards last season. The Colts rushed for 1700+ with their main RB on IR AND spent a number one on Richardson.

How about there is no Brady/Manning on the horizon yet.

When you think about it, nor was there one BEFORE Brady and Manning.

It's not like those two came along and took the place of two guys who were there before them. Sure there have been some rivalries between teams and subsequently their QBs, but Brady-Manning is unique and required certain circumstances to come about. Both guys had to be playing for good teams, with a lot at stake in each head-to-head match-up. 

Think back to 1990s. What were the great QB rivalries? Favre-Elway?  Aikman-Young? Marino-Kelly?

Even going back further than that... Stabler-Bradshaw.... Johnny U-Namath... Bradshaw-Staubach... none of them really seem to have the zing of the Brady-Manning thing. 

The deliciousness of the Brady-Manning rivalry has been a stroke of good fortunate for football fans, and fate. It's not really like anything that existed before it, far as I know, and it will probably not be duplicated by anything that comes after it. 

Which is why I've been saying for years that we ought to enjoy it. 

When you think about it, nor was there one BEFORE Brady and Manning.

It's not like those two came along and took the place of two guys who were there before them. Sure there have been some rivalries between teams and subsequently their QBs, but Brady-Manning is unique and required certain circumstances to come about. Both guys had to be playing for good teams, with a lot at stake in each head-to-head match-up. 

Think back to 1990s. What were the great QB rivalries? Favre-Elway?  Aikman-Young? Marino-Kelly?

Even going back further than that... Stabler-Bradshaw.... Johnny U-Namath... Bradshaw-Staubach... none of them really seem to have the zing of the Brady-Manning thing. 

The deliciousness of the Brady-Manning rivalry has been a stroke of good fortunate for football fans, and fate. It's not really like anything that existed before it, far as I know, and it will probably not be duplicated by anything that comes after it. 

Which is why I've been saying for years that we ought to enjoy it. 

Yes so many stars had to align. I often wonder if either would have been as good without the other to push him. We have been blessed as fans to see them play for so long at such a high level.

They won't play each other though nearly as much because they are in separate conferences. They will only play every four years.

I see it more as Wilson /Kaep because they are in the same division so they will play the most and have already had an NFCCG against each other. I also see Newton and RG in the mix as well given they are all the same conference.

I am not referring how much they play each other, they will be the 2 premier QBs is the point.

Also, since you're using rather raw and simplistic stats here, Newton has passed for progressively fewer yards in each of his three seasons, rushed for progressively fewer yards in each of his three seasons, and produced fewer touchdowns in his second and third seasons than he did in his rookie year. So, based on the stats you provided, where exactly is the career arc you believe is leading Newton to surpass every other young QB except Luck?

You forgot to mention that Cam's completion percentage, interception rate, passer rating, 3rd down efficiency, etc have all improved every year. His raw stats have declined but he's improved as a passer every year. He's also been more productive & efficient than Luck.

Here's what nobody seems to remember when comparing Newton to Wilson & Kaepernick...

Cam Newton is 1 year younger than Wilson & 2 years younger than Kaepernick.

Cam Newton only played 1 year of NCAA Div-1 & entered the league considered extremely raw. Wilson & Kaepernick were 3-4 year starters in college. Not to mention that Cam won a Heisman & BCS title his 1 year with similar talent around him. Not a single offensive player from the '10 Auburn team is in the NFL.

Cam Newton was drafted #1 overall by the worst team in the NFL. They had the 32nd ranked offense & a first time head coach. Wilson & Kaepernick were picked in the 2-3 rounds by teams with loaded rosters & very good, proven coaches. Sea & SF both already had very good defenses, stacked o-lines, & a great running game, & both have several very good targets.

Cam Newton IS the Carolina offense. He has to carry the team on his back offensively. Yes, Carolina is built like the other teams now, but it's different. Cam has led his team in rushing 2 of 3 years & TDs all 3 years. Without his stats Carolina has one of the worst run games in football. Wilson & Kaepernick do a lot more of handing off to Gore/Lynch & make simple 3rd down passes or play action passes. Cam runs a more diverse passing game.

Put Cam Newton in SF & they would've won the Super Bowl in 2012. Put Cam Newton in Seattle & they would've won this year. If you put Kaepernick or Wilson in Carolina could they carry the entire offense? I don't think so.

Cam Newton is a hell of a lot smarter than people give him credit for. OC Chudzinski called him a "sponge" & said he learned the playbook fatter than any QB he's ever coached. He can sit back & hit his 3rd, 4th read. He refuses to wear a wristband, instead he memorized everything. Kaepernick had to call timeout the first play of the 2nd half when they played Carolina because he didn't have his wristband & he couldn't remember the plays being called.

Right now Wilson & Kaepernick are nothing more than Trent Dilfer with the ability to run. They play for arguably the 2 most talented, complete teams in football. Let's see how they do when they have to carry their team like Newton, who has no offense around him, & Luck, who has no defense.

I am not referring how much they play each other, they will be the 2 premier QBs is the point.

Maybe but right now Wilson has a ring and Kaep has a SB appearance and another NFCCG appearance. And they are in the same division on the two best teams in football. Everything is line up for them to dominate in the near future and possibly the distant future as well.

Here's what nobody seems to remember when comparing Newton to Wilson & Kaepernick...

Cam Newton is 1 year younger than Wilson & 2 years younger than Kaepernick.

Cam Newton only played 1 year of NCAA Div-1 & entered the league considered extremely raw. Wilson & Kaepernick were 3-4 year starters in college. Not to mention that Cam won a Heisman & BCS title his 1 year with similar talent around him. Not a single offensive player from the '10 Auburn team is in the NFL.

Cam Newton was drafted #1 overall by the worst team in the NFL. They had the 32nd ranked offense & a first time head coach. Wilson & Kaepernick were picked in the 2-3 rounds by teams with loaded rosters & very good, proven coaches. Sea & SF both already had very good defenses, stacked o-lines, & a great running game, & both have several very good targets.

Cam Newton IS the Carolina offense. He has to carry the team on his back offensively. Yes, Carolina is built like the other teams now, but it's different. Cam has led his team in rushing 2 of 3 years & TDs all 3 years. Without his stats Carolina has one of the worst run games in football. Wilson & Kaepernick do a lot more of handing off to Gore/Lynch & make simple 3rd down passes or play action passes. Cam runs a more diverse passing game.

Put Cam Newton in SF & they would've won the Super Bowl in 2012. Put Cam Newton in Seattle & they would've won this year. If you put Kaepernick or Wilson in Carolina could they carry the entire offense? I don't think so.

Cam Newton is a hell of a lot smarter than people give him credit for. OC Chudzinski called him a "sponge" & said he learned the playbook fatter than any QB he's ever coached. He can sit back & hit his 3rd, 4th read. He refuses to wear a wristband, instead he memorized everything. Kaepernick had to call timeout the first play of the 2nd half when they played Carolina because he didn't have his wristband & he couldn't remember the plays being called.

Right now Wilson & Kaepernick are nothing more than Trent Dilfer with the ability to run. They play for arguably the 2 most talented, complete teams in football. Let's see how they do when they have to carry their team like Newton, who has no offense around him, & Luck, who has no defense.

Newton looked awful in his one and only playoff game AT home. As you say he is younger and more raw then either Wilson or Kaep. They are the more mature QBs right now and better able to lead their teams.

Newton looked awful in his one and only playoff game AT home. As you say he is younger and more raw then either Wilson or Kaep. They are the more mature QBs right now and better able to lead their teams.

You do know he was playing on a severely damage ankle, right? He threw & ran all over SF in the first then his ankle swelled up on him.

Also, calling Colin more mature than Cam is a joke. On or off the football field.

You do know he was playing on a severely damage ankle, right? He threw & ran all over SF in the first then his ankle swelled up on him.

Also, calling Colin more mature than Cam is a joke. On or off the football field.

So you have all the excuses for Newton but what about Kaep playing without many of his offensive weapons all season due to injury or Wilson missing his primary two receivers for almost the entire season? Not to mention that both of them play in the toughest division in football and both secured playoff births for the second straight year.

I like Newton a lot but you disparaging the other Qbs just wreaks of blatant homerism. Be consistent and apply your standards evenly.

So you have all the excuses for Newton but what about Kaep playing without many of his offensive weapons all season due to injury or Wilson missing his primary two receivers for almost the entire season? Not to mention that both of them play in the toughest division in football and both secured playoff births for the second straight year.

I like Newton a lot but you disparaging the other Qbs just wreaks of blatant homerism. Be consistent and apply your standards evenly and then maybe your posts will have more credibility.

Newton's starting LG, RG, RT, & RB spent the season on injured reserve. His #1 WR missed the final month & played in the playoffs with a torn PCL.

Kaepernick's #2 WR missed the first half of the season.

Wilson's #1 WR & RT missed the regular season.

Better?

Cam's starting LG, RG, RT, & RB were out all season. His #1 WR was playing on a torn PCL.

Kaepernick had 3 excellent weapons in WR Boldin, TE Davis, RB Gore, & the best o-line in football around him. Missing his #3 target in Crabtree is hardly the same.

Wislson was missing first year player Harvin, who is always injured. Percy was never a part of Seattle's offense.

Kaep missed all his receivers for stretches of the season. And Wilson was also missing Rice - his #2 receiver and you must have missed the SB if you don't think Harvin was sorely missed all season by Seattle.

Like I said, be consistent. To give these other young QBs no credit is just silly especially when one of them just won the Super Bowl.

Kaep missed all his receivers for stretches of the season. And Wilson was also missing Rice - his #2 receiver and you must have missed the SB if you don't think Harvin was sorely missed all season by Seattle.

Like I said, be consistent. To give these other young QBs no credit is just silly especially when one of them just won the Super Bowl.

Seattle won the Super Bowl in spite of Russell Wilson. He fumbled & gave SF the ball inside the 15 on the very first play of the NFCCG. His defense outscored him & Denver in the Super Bowl. They would've won that game with a towel boy playing QB.

Kaepernick is a bigger version of Vick; one read & run. He just happens to have a defense & running game around him that Vick never had.

Beyond the fact that you are using simplistic fantasy football stats which do little to measure quarterback efficiency, what are you basing your your claim on that Wilson, Kaepernick, and Griffin will fall by the wayside?

More evidence that FF makes fans ignorant.