Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFC Exec: "Spoiled Clowney never worked hard a day in his life!"

This exec sinks his teeth into the possible first pick in the draft..........

The story also has some positive comments about Clowney.

For me,   the two safest picks in the draft are Mack and Robinson.   One of them would be my first pick overall.    Otherwise,  I'd also consider trading down -- it would depend on what I was offered....

An interesting read.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341111/article/nfc-exec-jadeveon-clowney-never-worked-hard-a-day-in-his-life

Makes you wonder who the Jamarcus Russell pick will actually be in the NFL this year!!! Enough names to go around before the draft, it looks like. :)

If I'm taking my chances, I'd take a chance on a QB who can have the biggest turnaround impact on a franchise.

The rookie wage scale does minimize your risks unlike before. I can outbid for a DL or OL in free agency, it is harder to do so with a franchise QB of a different team, most of the time they're not available come free agency time. So get the franchise QB when you can, IMO.

You should probably have the mods merge this topic with the other one about the DL class since that one mentions Clowney too. But a lot of this seems like the pre-draft smoke tricks where people just come out and start talking people down in an attempt to influence who a team takes.

It was later reported after this article came out the exec. who spoke off  the record was from Jacksonville! :goodluck:  You cannot believe anything you hear right now. As far as taking a QB first, no way. Clowney has a chance to be great. Many have this class of QB's below last season, and the only one I think who can develop is Bortles. There are 7-8 QB's who are incredibly close to each other. Manziel may have a good season or two, but sooner or later he is going to get broken like a twig. You can't compare him to Wilson due to body type and pocket awareness. Take Clowney.

It was later reported after this article came out the exec. who spoke off  the record was from Jacksonville! :goodluck:  You cannot believe anything you hear right now. As far as taking a QB first, no way. Clowney has a chance to be great. Many have this class of QB's below last season, and the only one I think who can develop is Bortles. There are 7-8 QB's who are incredibly close to each other. Manziel may have a good season or two, but sooner or later he is going to get broken like a twig. You can't compare him to Wilson due to body type and pocket awareness. Take Clowney.

I can't tell....   are you serious or joking about the exec being from J'Ville.

Because the story clearly says it was an NFC exec and J'Ville is an AFC team.

Do you have a link to the story you saw?    Or were you kidding and I didn't get it?!?

Lots of lying going on this time of year, Also I expect some teams are looking to see how prospects handle harsh...and sometimes delusional criticisms that are far from the truth to test there resolve and character

If the same guy said Clowney is going to be a top pick and worth it then I would say he's lying.

That having been said I'm not buying into the Clowney hype.  

The way I see it one of 3 things happened.

1. Clowney quit trying hard his junior season because he wanted to make his millions in the NFL.

2. Clowney stopped working hard in practice because he believed his own hype.

3. Clowney's sophomore season was a fluke.

None of those say anything good about Clowney.  A 3 sack senior season tells me something is wrong with this prospect and I don't like it.  I'm very glad we arn't in a position to take him.  I honestly would not be surprised if this guy is a bust of epic proportions.   

Makes you wonder who the Jamarcus Russell pick will actually be in the NFL this year!!! Enough names to go around before the draft, it looks like. :)

If I'm taking my chances, I'd take a chance on a QB who can have the biggest turnaround impact on a franchise.

The rookie wage scale does minimize your risks unlike before. I can outbid for a DL or OL in free agency, it is harder to do so with a franchise QB of a different team, most of the time they're not available come free agency time. So get the franchise QB when you can, IMO.

Preach my brother preach!  :worthy:

Lots of lying going on this time of year, Also I expect some teams are looking to see how prospects handle harsh...and sometimes delusional criticisms that are far from the truth to test there resolve and character

You could be right Gavin. It's hard to separate fact from fiction at this point, but my instincts are telling me say no to Clowney. If he's the next Lawrence Taylor, then I'm the next Steve Jobs.  haha

I think this year's QB class is ranked higher than last year's -- I don't think there's a question.

Roughly 4 guys are getting 1st round consideration...   Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater and Carr.

Last year, only one was getting it, and that was Smith and he wound up going 39th.   When Buffalo said "EJ Manuel" most everyone was surprised.   

The next QB was Smith at 39.

There are lots and lots of interesting QB's in this class...   The 2nd round alone might give us Garrapolo, Mettenburger, McCarron, Savage or even Murray....      I think teams are as intrigued by the 2nd level of QB's as they are by the top level.

Fascinating class.   One team might just stumble, or luck their way into a top performer!   Hey, stranger things have happened!

I think this year's QB class is ranked higher than last year's -- I don't think there's a question.

Roughly 4 guys are getting 1st round consideration... Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater and Carr.

Last year, only one was getting it, and that was Smith and he wound up going 39th. When Buffalo said "EJ Manuel" most everyone was surprised.

The next QB was Smith at 39.

There are lots and lots of interesting QB's in this class... The 2nd round alone might give us Garrapolo, Mettenburger, McCarron, Savage or even Murray.... I think teams are as intrigued by the 2nd level of QB's as they are by the top level.

Fascinating class. One team might just stumble, or luck their way into a top performer! Hey, stranger things have happened!

Forgot where I read it at but one NFL guy said EJ Manuel would be the 8th QB off the board if he was in this group of QBs.

Edit: it was former GM Charley Casserley

"I've got a lot of guys rated ahead of (Manuel) based on their college career and based on Manuel's college career," Casserly said on Thursday's Path to the Draft. "[Teddy] Bridgewater, [blake] Bortles, [Johnny] Manziel, [Derek] Carr, [Jimmy] Garoppolo and [AJ] McCarron -- I've got them all rated ahead of EJ Manuel coming out a year ago. And you know what, LSU quarterback [Zach] Mettenberger, I've got him ahead of Manuel, too."

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24522156/charley-casserly-7-qbs-in-2014-draft-rate-higher-than-ej-manuel

• 2 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/124810/coach-defends-clowneys-work-ethic

"It doesn't offend me because I know JD, and I know all this talk about JD being lazy and all this talk about him not playing hard, I know all that is motivating him," Ward told ESPN.com in reference to Clowney. "And I know JD because I coached the kid and I recruited him, and that's not who he is. JD plays hard all the time." 

"Anytime you're as highly regarded as JD is, most people are going to try to find out something that's wrong with you. And that's what the NFL's job is: They're going to try and bring his grade down because it's about paying him. I understand it. I coached in the league [as an Oakland assistant in 2006]. I know how it works." 

"I never had an issue with him. If anything, you had to slow him down," Ward said. "There were days that Coach [steve] Spurrier would have to tell us to take him off the field or they weren't going to get anything accomplished on offense. And that's the truth because they couldn’t get a pass off on him." 

I don't see how Robinson is a safe pick. Kid can't pass block to save his life. 

Well....   while Robinson does not pass block nearly as well as he run blocks,  I think your gift for hyperbole has gotten the best of you.    I haven't seen one scouting report that would characterize Robinson's pass blocking that way.....

And the one's I've seen say he's physically skilled enough and bright enough and talented enough that he should be able to pick it up very quickly.     Just like he went from an almost nobody as an OL to a top-5 prospect in two years.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/124810/coach-defends-clowneys-work-ethic

"It doesn't offend me because I know JD, and I know all this talk about JD being lazy and all this talk about him not playing hard, I know all that is motivating him," Ward told ESPN.com in reference to Clowney. "And I know JD because I coached the kid and I recruited him, and that's not who he is. JD plays hard all the time." 

"Anytime you're as highly regarded as JD is, most people are going to try to find out something that's wrong with you. And that's what the NFL's job is: They're going to try and bring his grade down because it's about paying him. I understand it. I coached in the league [as an Oakland assistant in 2006]. I know how it works." 

"I never had an issue with him. If anything, you had to slow him down," Ward said. "There were days that Coach [steve] Spurrier would have to tell us to take him off the field or they weren't going to get anything accomplished on offense. And that's the truth because they couldn’t get a pass off on him." 

I appreciate his D-Coordinator's attempt to protect his guy....    I get that....

But Clowney has been hurt -- IMO -- by two things.....

When his production fell way off last year, and Spurrier was asked about his work habits and effort during the week,  Spurrier gave an answer that was at best,  luke warm,  if not downright cool...   he basically said Clowney's work habits during the week were OK...  alright.... 

And the real bottom line was his numbers....     cutting and pasting...

2011: (13/13) - 36-12- 8     2012: (12/12) - 50-23.5-13      2013: (11/11)- 40-11.5-3     Career: 9 FF, 7 PBU

His numbers were terrible his last year.   Not even close to his freshman numbers.    Numbers like that will attract a lot of unwanted attention.....   Clowney is reaping what he has sowed....

He'll likely still go #1 overall.    He's just that good....    but those Texans scouts and execs are going to be crossing their fingers and hoping and praying that the kid lives up to the hype....   or even comes close to the hype....   Otherwise...................

I appreciate his D-Coordinator's attempt to protect his guy.... I get that....

But Clowney has been hurt -- IMO -- by two things.....

When his production fell way off last year, and Spurrier was asked about his work habits and effort during the week, Spurrier gave an answer that was at best, luke warm, if not downright cool... he basically said Clowney's work habits during the week were OK... alright....

And the real bottom line was his numbers.... cutting and pasting...

2011: (13/13) - 36-12- 8 2012: (12/12) - 50-23.5-13 2013: (11/11)- 40-11.5-3 Career: 9 FF, 7 PBU

His numbers were terrible his last year. Not even close to his freshman numbers. Numbers like that will attract a lot of unwanted attention..... Clowney is reaping what he has sowed....

He'll likely still go #1 overall. He's just that good.... but those Texans scouts and execs are going to be crossing their fingers and hoping and praying that the kid lives up to the hype.... or even comes close to the hype.... Otherwise...................

So he is reaping what he is sowing but will still go #1. Something doesn't add up there. He must be sowing a masterpiece to still go #1

So he is reaping what he is sowing but will still go #1. Something doesn't add up there. He must be sowing a masterpiece to still go #1

My comment about reaping what he sowed is meant toward all the negative back-lash.   I stated he's good enough that he's going first overall no matter what.    But he gave Scouts a reason to be skeptical of his effort and desire and hustle.

Well.... while Robinson does not pass block nearly as well as he run blocks, I think your gift for hyperbole has gotten the best of you. I haven't seen one scouting report that would characterize Robinson's pass blocking that way.....

And the one's I've seen say he's physically skilled enough and bright enough and talented enough that he should be able to pick it up very quickly. Just like he went from an almost nobody as an OL to a top-5 prospect in two years.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2032449-nfl-draft-2014-understanding-exactly-what-you-get-from-greg-robinson

You realize that even your link doesn't say what you said it would say..........   Plus,  who is this writer and why should I care about him?

That said......

Here's NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/greg-robinson?id=2543458

And I'll be back with ESPN.com and CBS Sports.com

You realize that even your link doesn't say what you said it would say..........   Plus,  who is this writer and why should I care about him?

That said......

Here's NFL.com

You realize that even your link doesn't say what you said it would say.......... Plus, who is this writer and why should I care about him?

That said......

Here's NFL.com

I provided an article that breaks down his entire game and gives detailed analysis for his strenghths and weaknesses including screenshots and gifs. I doesn't really matter to me what NFL.com, CBS, and ESPN say in there 2 sentence summary of him. I've seen him play and have read a bunch of real analysis about his ability as a pass blocker. He's not good at it. If he's starting at tackle as a rookie he's going to get abused in the passing game. He's better suited at guard in the pros until his technique is refined.

As for the writer, I think he's a writer over at football outsiders. Don't see why that matters.

As for not saying what I said:

It's clear that Greg Robinson is incredibly talented. He has a huge upside and should be taken in the top half of the first round of the draft because of that upside. However, as is generally the way during draft season, the optimism with this left tackle is tipping the scales too far in one direction.

The potential for Robinson to bust is much larger than most make out.

His versatility will likely prevent him from being the next Jason Smith, but like Robert Gallery he could potentially wind up as a guard rather than a tackle. If Robinson has a great career inside, then it would be tough to call him a bust. But for those teams that need offensive tackle help at the top of the draft, this isn't a simple selection.

Here is what ESPN.com has to say......   I think you'll find it's just a wee bit more than just two sentences.....   again with the hyperbole...     it's not your friend.

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 2011: Redshirted 2012: Played all 12 games, started final 11 at LOT 2013: Started all 14 games at LOT

Height-Weight-Speed 1  Thick trunk and big bubble, but weight is well-distributed. Prototypical height with long arms (35') and big hands (10'). Rare timed-speed for size (ran 4.92 40-yard dash at 332 pounds at combine).

Durability 1  Good physical condition for size. Played all 26 games (started final 25) during two seasons of eligibility.

Intangibles 2  Family displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Moved to Houston before eventually moving back to hometown (Thibodaux, La.). Has had a difficult upbringing. Not a strong support system growing up. Grandmother played a big role in raising him. Had very little money throughout entire life. Robinson's father, Greg Blackledge, died at the age of 54 in April, 2012. Outstanding teammate. Extremely coachable. Well-liked and respected. No off-the-field issues.

1 = Exceptional  2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

Offensive Tackle Specific Traits

Pass Protection 1  Outstanding length. Light on feet and natural knee bender. Quick enough in pass pro set to handle most speed rushers without overextending. Very good change-of-direction skills for size. Can mirror effortlessly versus inside-out and outside-in moves. Elite power in punch. It's over when he locks out with hands inside. Biggest issue is hand placement. Too high (and sometimes too wide) with hands. Has length and feet to recover from most mistakes, but won't recover as easily at next level.

Run Blocking 1  Elite size, strength and power. Fires off ball with good leverage. Explosive initial pop and rare finishing strength. Excellent job of staying under control as a second-level blocker. Consistently adjusts to moving target. Blows up most LB's with initial strike. As in pass pro, will need to improve with hand placement as run blocker. If he gets caught lunging or off-balance, it's almost always a result of being overly aggressive and sloppy with initial contact.

Awareness 2  Knows his assignments. Sells run fakes in play-action game. Needs to recognize when he's in trouble with hand positioning and abort, rather than reaching around or clutching/grabbing. Too many holding penalties as a result of poor hand placement. Plays with head on swivel. Very good awareness as a second-level blocker. Played in an offense that featured 70-plus percent run in 2013, so NFL pass pro assignments/concepts might take time.

Toughness 1  Overpowering at the point of attack. Has a finishers' mentality. Plays hard for four quarters.

1 = Exceptional  2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

And here's the write-up from CBSSports.com....   again much more than 2 sentences....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824809/greg-robinson

In a nutshell...

-- Robinson is the 2nd ranked prospect on NFL.com

-- He's the 2nd ranked prospect for Scouts Inc.  (that's Todd McShay and his group)

-- He's the 4th ranked prospect for Kiper

-- He's the 2nd ranked prospect for CBS Sports

All in all the kid is pretty good with a bright future.....

Here is what ESPN.com has to say...... I think you'll find it's just a wee bit more than just two sentences..... again with the hyperbole... it's not your friend.

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 2011: Redshirted 2012: Played all 12 games, started final 11 at LOT 2013: Started all 14 games at LOT

Height-Weight-Speed 1 Thick trunk and big bubble, but weight is well-distributed. Prototypical height with long arms (35') and big hands (10'). Rare timed-speed for size (ran 4.92 40-yard dash at 332 pounds at combine).

Durability 1 Good physical condition for size. Played all 26 games (started final 25) during two seasons of eligibility.

Intangibles 2 Family displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Moved to Houston before eventually moving back to hometown (Thibodaux, La.). Has had a difficult upbringing. Not a strong support system growing up. Grandmother played a big role in raising him. Had very little money throughout entire life. Robinson's father, Greg Blackledge, died at the age of 54 in April, 2012. Outstanding teammate. Extremely coachable. Well-liked and respected. No off-the-field issues.

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

Offensive Tackle Specific Traits

Pass Protection 1 Outstanding length. Light on feet and natural knee bender. Quick enough in pass pro set to handle most speed rushers without overextending. Very good change-of-direction skills for size. Can mirror effortlessly versus inside-out and outside-in moves. Elite power in punch. It's over when he locks out with hands inside. Biggest issue is hand placement. Too high (and sometimes too wide) with hands. Has length and feet to recover from most mistakes, but won't recover as easily at next level.

Run Blocking 1 Elite size, strength and power. Fires off ball with good leverage. Explosive initial pop and rare finishing strength. Excellent job of staying under control as a second-level blocker. Consistently adjusts to moving target. Blows up most LB's with initial strike. As in pass pro, will need to improve with hand placement as run blocker. If he gets caught lunging or off-balance, it's almost always a result of being overly aggressive and sloppy with initial contact.

Awareness 2 Knows his assignments. Sells run fakes in play-action game. Needs to recognize when he's in trouble with hand positioning and abort, rather than reaching around or clutching/grabbing. Too many holding penalties as a result of poor hand placement. Plays with head on swivel. Very good awareness as a second-level blocker. Played in an offense that featured 70-plus percent run in 2013, so NFL pass pro assignments/concepts might take time.

Toughness 1 Overpowering at the point of attack. Has a finishers' mentality. Plays hard for four quarters.

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

The part regarding his pass blocking totally leaves off notes about his lack of awarness and how slow he is off of the snap. And I like how it totally glosses over his bad hand usage, as if it some mundane thing of little importance. And there's 2 GIfs alone in my linked article where he gets beat by speed rushers because he's slow off the snap and doesn't drop back far enough in his zone.