Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should College Athletes be Paid?

amfootball

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10765409/adrian-peterson-misses-point-paying-college-players

This topic of whether college athletes should be paid has been floating around the last few weeks with Adrian Peterson recently weighing in. Chadiha makes some interesting points in this article about why the college players should not be paid in cash but instead have healthcare and future education funds set up at the schools.

Interested in people's thoughts on this polarizing subject. I am of the mindset that if you pay the athletes in cash then you open a Pandora's box that will be much worse then the current situation.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess a degree worth anywhere from $20K to 60K a year is simply a slap in the face to most CLOWNS that would NEVER EVER enter college to begin with.

Let the KIDS who want to go PRO go...       And let he kids who VALUE a degree go to U.

Pay them?    Pay who?   Volleyball players?    This is the problem.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10765409/adrian-peterson-misses-point-paying-college-players

This topic of whether college athletes should be paid has been floating around the last few weeks with Adrian Peterson recently weighing in. Chadiha makes some interesting points in this article about why the college players should not be paid in cash but instead have healthcare and future education funds set up at the schools.

Interested in people's thoughts on this polarizing subject. I am of the mindset that if you pay the athletes in cash then you open a Pandora's box that will be much worse then the current situation.

Chadiha makes excellent points in the article, the star players at these colleges get so many more benefits than the average athlete and even more than the average student.  I am not sure about the healthcare idea, maybe he is talking about paying for some of the deductibles for procedures that are directly related to the players injury.  I think the idea of helping the athletes get a degree beyond their playing eligibility can be a good way to go.  I still would like to hear what they mean by the scholarship not covering all the costs of going to school.  When I was at college the scholarships covered tuition, books, room and board.  I am not sure what other costs there would have been.

I almost wish the colleges would all go to an Ivy league model, no athletic scholarships, only academic scholarships.  Let the NFL and NBA develop minor league systems for those kids that do not want to go the traditional college route.  Maybe those minor league systems could help the athletes work toward a degree while they are playing.

After what Jadeveon Clowney pulled, I don't think they should ever be payed. They already get full rides to some of the most prestigious colleges in the country, and now they want to be paid? That's a slap in the face of all college students and future students.

Most of these guys leave school early anyways. Why would you pay someone for 2 years of production? Especially when they're leaving for the NFL, where they can make millions. The worst part is where the money will come from. I doubt the NCAA, would pay them, which means tuition increases everywhere.

Yes they should. I don't why people all of a sudden become communists when it comes to college athletes ability to make money. They are getting screwed by the system and everyone knows it.

yes they should be paid.  What's going on now in college athletics is flat out wrong.

Don't get me started

Just curious if any of the posters advocating for college athletes to get paid more than what they are currently have ever played a sport at a large college?  When I was playing a "minor" sport at a large school the football and basketball players were treated very well.  They had their tuition, books, room and board, tutors, and stipends all paid for by the university.  They were eligible for pell grants and were afforded many opportunities that the average college student were not.  They are not getting screwed by the colleges, they are not forcing the kids to go to college, the professional leagues are the ones saying they have to go to college.  If you have a problem with the current system it should be with the NFL and NBA.  As far as Napier going to bed hungry, unless what a college athlete gets has change dramatically in the past twenty years, I doubt that he has ever done that unless it was his own choice.

I better not get involved too much in this one.  On the one hand you have Universities/NCAA making mega-millions, and on the other you have kids that could care less about a free education.  That alone is as much as my Dad ever made per year as a principal. Damn I admire him.

I would play NCAA sports as a walk on.....I love to play.  Baseball was actually my best sport.

One thing I know about is money, and when things are tough we should all be blessed and not want more.  Send me a check to ......:)  It is all Monopoly money anyway, and we are 'livin' the board.  :)

I think that having funds available to help a student athlete with any future healthcare costs that may related to an injury they received while playing and a future education fund are both good ideas.

And, I agree with you that paying athletes is opening a Pandora's box.

I seriously have to question any athlete that says he/she went to bed hungry.  As others have mentioned; an athletic scholarship already covers room & board, tuition, books, etc.  And, they can apply for a Pell Grant.

What is rarely talked about is the Student Assistance Fund that was set up by the NCAA to help athletes meet expenses that are not covered by their scholarship.

The NCAA and its member schools paid more than $53 million during the 2010-11 academic year to more than 81,000 student-athletes. The money, which comes from the NCAA’s Student Assistance Fund, paid for trips home, clothing, summer school, tutoring, graduate test fees, health insurance and countless other costs that scholarships don’t cover.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2012-08-20/meeting-needs-student-athletes

How don't know how I feel about it honestly. I do however feel the cost of tution/education isn't enough. 

I liken it to Nike in China....Pay the factory workers a dollar a day, but sell the shoes for $100....Its not wrong, but I consider it morally unacceptable. 

Alabama made $48million off the kids, and spent $8million (based on that link)  thats just one year, but I'd imagine it adds up over time. 

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue

Don't know how I feel about it. But I do know that going to bed hungry is bullcrap. You get all expenses paid for being a star athlete, and that includes a meal plan at the school, which is essentially all you can eat every meal in most cases. If you are hungry then that is your fault. It is just used as an argument for getting paid. 

They should be able to profit off their names, but otherwise what they do isn't much different than the other average student who has to pay their way into the school. They already can get upwards of 160K in education, It isn't the colleges problem if they don't consider the education a payment, because that is what colleges are truly for. 

Besides, you make the colleges pay the athletes, they will find that money somewhere else, IE tuition, screwing over the average student even more. 

I think that having funds available to help a student athlete with any future healthcare costs that may related to an injury they received while playing and a future education fund are both good ideas.

And, I agree with you that paying athletes is opening a Pandora's box.

I seriously have to question any athlete that says he/she went to bed hungry.  As others have mentioned; an athletic scholarship already covers room & board, tuition, books, etc.  And, they can apply for a Pell Grant.

What is rarely talked about is the Student Assistance Fund that was set up by the NCAA to help athletes meet expenses that are not covered by their scholarship.

The NCAA and its member schools paid more than $53 million during the 2010-11 academic year to more than 81,000 student-athletes. The money, which comes from the NCAA’s Student Assistance Fund, paid for trips home, clothing, summer school, tutoring, graduate test fees, health insurance and countless other costs that scholarships don’t cover.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2012-08-20/meeting-needs-student-athletes

Wow- that comes out to a whopping $654. dollars per person. Don't seem like much over an average of 3 years. I kind of wonder how many billions of dollars the student athletes bring into the NCAA. The NCAA and colleges know the student athlete is not there for the education and really couldn't care less. They are cash cows for the NCAA. It's already a known fact that very few student athletes study at all and the colleges cater to their needs as far as grades. Phony classes and people taking their test for them is very common. I am not sure of a good answer but lets not think the NCAA is trying to do anything but make money off the student athletes.

Just curious if any of the posters advocating for college athletes to get paid more than what they are currently have ever played a sport at a large college?  When I was playing a "minor" sport at a large school the football and basketball players were treated very well.  They had their tuition, books, room and board, tutors, and stipends all paid for by the university.  They were eligible for pell grants and were afforded many opportunities that the average college student were not.  They are not getting screwed by the colleges, they are not forcing the kids to go to college, the professional leagues are the ones saying they have to go to college.  If you have a problem with the current system it should be with the NFL and NBA.  As far as Napier going to bed hungry, unless what a college athlete gets has change dramatically in the past twenty years, I doubt that he has ever done that unless it was his own choice.

So because they are treated very well they should be satisfied? Should Bill Gates have been satisfied after his first million and given the rest away? Should Peyton Manning be satisfied with 5m per instead of 18? Wen courage people to make as much money as they can.....unless you are a student athlete.

No they should not. Most of the players would be on full scholarships, worth in excess of $40k a year. Show me one student making $40k a year while going to school. I would be ok with them getting paid if their scholarships were revoked. Its simply unfair for them to go to school for free and have free room and in most cases meal plans, and then get paid on top of that. Meanwhile, us normal people either have to work full time while going to school or sign up for more debt than they realize, and included in our cost would be these athlete salaries. Under Title IX. colleges would have to support all sports the same, so every college athlete would be paid, not just the big revenue ones. And yes you could make the argument that the players could make money from their own name, but their name is only out there due to the affiliation with the school. Do not bite the hand that feeds you. Nothing is stopping the big name athletes from taking out a loan for personal expenses if they want to bet on their chances of going pro...

No they should not. Most of the players would be on full scholarships, worth in excess of $40k a year. Show me one student making $40k a year while going to school. I would be ok with them getting paid if their scholarships were revoked. Its simply unfair for them to go to school for free and have free room and in most cases meal plans, and then get paid on top of that. Meanwhile, us normal people either have to work full time while going to school or sign up for more debt than they realize, and included in our cost would be these athlete salaries. Under Title IX. colleges would have to support all sports the same, so every college athlete would be paid, not just the big revenue ones. And yes you could make the argument that the players could make money from their own name, but their name is only out there due to the affiliation with the school. Do not bite the hand that feeds you. Nothing is stopping the big name athletes from taking out a loan for personal expenses if they want to bet on their chances of going pro...

Unfair? How would it be unfair? They are supreme athletes making the NCAA billions of dollars. Just because you or I can't do what they can doesn't make it unfair. Is it unfair pro athletes make millions and we dont?

Maybe people who know more about this than I do can help me out here. 

Do professors/medical experts etc that work at colleges get paid for discoveries, or breakthroughs etc? If a Is Dr.Smith cures chronic arthritis while working at the UCLA Medical School, does he have claim to the vaccine? Or is it the schools? 

And another thing no one seems to mention. These schools recruit the kids. Not the other way around. I find that very telling. These schools know that getting quality athletes benefits the school more than the kid. That to me is a red flag. 

Unfair? How would it be unfair? They are supreme athletes making the NCAA billions of dollars. Just because you or I can't do what they can doesn't make it unfair. Is it unfair pro athletes make millions and we dont?

Totally unfair...said the poor boy from Indiana :)

Here's the problem with opening the door to paying athletes that is often lost in these kind of conversations....

You can't just pay the football players and the basketball players.   Those are the two sports that produce the most revenue for the schools.    You have to pay.....   everyone!    All the men's sports PLUS all the women's sports.    All of them!    Title IX will make sure you do that.

Now....   here's a secret that is rarely talked about.   Of the roughly 125 Div-1a schools playing major college sports, only about 25 athletic departments as a whole make money.    That's not to say the football program doesn't make money in most places.   Or the basketball program.   I'm talking about the entire athletic department which has to fund roughly 20-35 different sports on campus.

Roughly 100 athletic department's lose money.   The school has to fund the difference.   The football and basketball programs don't make enough to support all of the other sports the school has.   You've got to balance the books and the schools have to come up with the money.   Not easy to do financially.    Not easy to do politically on a lot of campuses.

Now compound that with forcing all of those schools to start paying out an additional stipend... $50 a week?  $100 a week?  And for how many weeks?   My guess is roughly 40 weeks that the student is on campus.    The math quickly adds up...   $100 a week times roughly 300 kids on scholarship (more?)  x 40 weeks.   My math shows an additional $1.2 Million cost per school.

That may not be a problem at a number of schools.   But it's going to be problem for lots of schools.   Most schools.

And once you've opened that door for paying out a stipend....   now, comes the Big Shot Booster who wants to give the star player,  the QB,   the small forward, a nice friendly "green" handshake.    "Hey, Johnnie!   How's it going?!   How's school?!   You doing good in class?    Is the team ready for the big game this week?!"   And there's a handshake the whole time with some nice green cabbage in one hand going to the other.    I know it already happens,  but once you start putting more money into the system,  you invite more abuse of the system.

Don't get me wrong.    I think the kids deserve a little more in a stipend.   But once you let the Andrew Luck's and the Johnny Manziel and the Adrian Peterson's of the world start profiting from all the jersey sales and such you have invited corruption on a much, MUCH larger scale into the system.    And that's what I'm against....

Pay a small stipend?     Yes.

Allow athletes to profit from their jersey sales and their likeness?    No.    There's your Pandora's box.    There's your Law of Unintended Consequences.     It is Trouble with a capital T.

Here's the problem with opening the door to paying athletes that is often lost in these kind of conversations....

You can't just pay the football players and the basketball players. Those are the two sports that produce the most revenue for the schools. You have to pay..... everyone! All the men's sports PLUS all the women's sports. All of them! Title IX will make sure you do that.

Now.... here's a secret that is rarely talked about. Of the roughly 125 Div-1a schools playing major college sports, only about 25 athletic departments as a whole make money. That's not to say the football program doesn't make money in most places. Or the basketball program. I'm talking about the entire athletic department which has to fund roughly 20-35 different sports on campus.

Roughly 100 athletic department's lose money. The school has to fund the difference. The football and basketball programs don't make enough to support all of the other sports the school has. You've got to balance the books and the schools have to come up with the money. Not easy to do financially. Not easy to do politically on a lot of campuses.

Now compound that with forcing all of those schools to start paying out an additional stipend... $50 a week? $100 a week? And for how many weeks? My guess is roughly 40 weeks that the student is on campus. The math quickly adds up... $100 a week times roughly 300 kids on scholarship (more?) x 40 weeks. My math shows an additional $1.2 Million cost per school.

That may not be a problem at a number of schools. But it's going to be problem for lots of schools. Most schools.

And once you've opened that door for paying out a stipend.... now, comes the Big Shot Booster who wants to give the star player, the QB, the small forward, a nice friendly "green" handshake. "Hey, Johnnie! How's it going?! How's school?! You doing good in class? Is the team ready for the big game this week?!" And there's a handshake the whole time with some nice green cabbage in one hand going to the other. I know it already happens, but once you start putting more money into the system, you invite more abuse of the system.

Don't get me wrong. I think the kids deserve a little more in a stipend. But once you let the Andrew Luck's and the Johnny Manziel and the Adrian Peterson's of the world start profiting from all the jersey sales and such you have invited corruption on a much, MUCH larger scale into the system. And that's what I'm against....

Pay a small stipend? Yes.

Allow athletes to profit from their jersey sales and their likeness? No. There's your Pandora's box. There's your Law of Unintended Consequences. It is Trouble with a capital T.

But you are ok with the school and the NCAA making millions selling Jerseys and using their likeness?

You can't just pay the football players and the basketball players.   Those are the two sports that produce the most revenue for the schools.    You have to pay.....   everyone!    All the men's sports PLUS all the women's sports.    All of them!    Title IX will make sure you do that.

I dont know if that is true or not. Because as it is now, different sports are treated differently. The Oregon Rowing team doesn't have the same amenities as the football team. The Kentucky Lacrosse team doesn't have the same dorms as the Basketball team etc etc. 

I don't know if or how they couldn't make a rule based on estimated income of whatever program they choose. If you are the Ball State soccer team and your squad sells about 6 tickets a game, and they dont sell your jersey, and your not on TV, and your likness isn't being used to profit, I don't know that you have a right to receive compensation.....Were as with other sports, if your putting fans in the stands, and your on a billboard, and your jersey is for sale, I think you have a right too that. 

But you are ok with the school and the NCAA making millions selling Jerseys and using their likeness?

It's an illusion.    Most schools don't make millions from jersey sales and likenesses....  maybe it happens at the Notre Dames and Ohio States of the world...    but not most schools.     And it all goes back to my point about athletic departments losing money. 

Roughly 100 out of 125 lose money.    Even with Jersey sales.    As for the NCAA.   Hey, I'm not a fan.   I'm sooo not a fan.

But there's got to be a way to address that without opening a door to massive corruption that none of us wants.   Remember, the NCAA works for the schools,  not the other way around.   So, if the schools complain long enough and loud enough,  things will change for the better.

Hope that clarifies my thoughts......

Wow- that comes out to a whopping $654. dollars per person. Don't seem like much over an average of 3 years. I kind of wonder how many billions of dollars the student athletes bring into the NCAA. The NCAA and colleges know the student athlete is not there for the education and really couldn't care less. They are cash cows for the NCAA. It's already a known fact that very few student athletes study at all and the colleges cater to their needs as far as grades. Phony classes and people taking their test for them is very common. I am not sure of a good answer but lets not think the NCAA is trying to do anything but make money off the student athletes.

I don't care if comes out to $6.54 per person.

My purpose in sharing that was to dispel the myth that student athletes are left to go hungry and that the NCAA does not care about them enough to help them through some rough patches in life . . . something that is not given to other students.

I also find it odd that so many of you are up in arms about student athletes, yet when I posted something in another thread about the fact that NFL cheerleaders are often paid below minimum wage; no one seemed to care that the NFL makes big money off of them. 

So because they are treated very well they should be satisfied? Should Bill Gates have been satisfied after his first million and given the rest away? Should Peyton Manning be satisfied with 5m per instead of 18? Wen courage people to make as much money as they can.....unless you are a student athlete.

I am not saying they should not make as much as they can.  If they want to make more go play professionally.  Again it is not the colleges that are stopping the athletes from turning pro, it is the professional leagues.  The complaints should be directed toward the NFL and NBA league offices not the NCAA or the college deans.

Whether failing to pay college athletes seems "right", "wrong", "fair", or "unfair" is completely irrelevant. The issue is that paying college athletes is completely untenable.

Open this "box", and you are voting to completely eliminate college sports - period. No more BCS. No more March Madness. Vast decrease in preparation for Olympic sports. And for what purpose or gain exactly?

Am I supposed to feel pity for the thousands of kids pulled out of poverty every year and offered a free opportunity to change the entire course of they and their families lives? It is NOT a job, it's an opportunity that an awful lot of much smarter people simply can't afford - and all they have to do to obtain it is exercise and play a game. My heart bleeds for them.

I don't think that too many college tennis players or wrestlers lie awake at night grumbling about the fact that they aren't getting paid - they are just happy to be there. What happens to them when their sports are eliminated? The ones complaining about money are likely the ones who expect to get to the pros. They consider themselves to be hired guns that the school is lucky to have, not students. If they don't like it, they are free to leave school and go work at McDonalds. At least they won't have to worry about having money for food there.

As NCF expressed, the image of fat-cat colleges wallowing in free cash is miss-leading and miss-guided. It's a career path for some overly well paid coaches, and some administrators likely work with the selfish goal of perpetuating their own existence, but we are essentially talking about non-profit organizations who provide an essential function to our society. Worst case scenario (or perhaps best case scenario) - the schools obtain a few extra million a year that they use to offset their vast budgets involving educating "our" next generation, and doing research that often changes the world. People act as if this is some form of slavery. I doubt that the millions who can't afford a college education see it that way.

I would change the system from the other direction. The kids are students first, and nothing should interfere with that. Certainly not training or practice. They don't like "working" so many unpaid hours - vastly reduce them. No organized activities when the school is out of session. No more in school work than you would see with a reasonable part-time job. The athletic programs are hyper competitive, and I'm sure the massive schools forget their mission in the process. The coaches think that it IS a professional environment. Change it - but don't pay the students. This will reduce the development of the athletes and the quality of the play, but so what - they are there to get an education. Let the pro-leagues set up PAID off-season training and scrimmage programs, if not actual minor leagues. I'm not talking about drafting them early, I'm talking about the leagues investing money to develop talent to benefit the league at a whole down the road. No one cares if they get paid working a conventional job during the off-season, so why should anyone care if they get paid a lot more money to do something that they are skilled at. But the COLLEGES shouldn't pay them, and alumni sure as hell shouldn't pay them, but this idiocy about a free donut costing them their amateur status is absurd. Who cares about "amateur" status, what does that even mean at this point now that the Olympics sold out. Let them earn whatever they can earn, just not for playing sports at a college.

However, any injury sustained by any college athlete should be completely the responsibility of the college. Frankly it never occurred to me that it wasn't already. And colleges should pay for group disability insurance as well. And insurance companies should be encouraged to provide "free" insurance for top prospects who decide to risk their health by staying in school. BIG premiums coming out of the first pro contracts of those who make it, payouts to those whose pro careers are derailed by injury, but no cost otherwise. A kid shouldn't get paid for going to school, but he shouldn't pay a price for doing so either. A little common sense could go a long way.

I would change the system from the other direction. The kids are students first, and nothing should interfere with that. Certainly not training or practice. They don't like "working" so many unpaid hours - vastly reduce them. No organized activities when the school is out of session. No more in school work than you would see with a reasonable part-time job. The athletic programs are hyper competitive, and I'm sure the massive schools forget their mission in the process. The coaches think that it IS a professional environment. Change it - but don't pay the students. This will reduce the development of the athletes and the quality of the play, but so what - they are there to get an education. Let the pro-leagues set up PAID off-season training and scrimmage programs, if not actual minor leagues. I'm not talking about drafting them early, I'm talking about the leagues investing money to develop talent to benefit the league at a whole down the road. No one cares if they get paid working a conventional job during the off-season, so why should anyone care if they get paid a lot more money to do something that they are skilled at. But the COLLEGES shouldn't pay them, and alumni sure as hell shouldn't pay them, but this idiocy about a free donut costing them their amateur status is absurd. Who cares about "amateur" status, what does that even mean at this point now that the Olympics sold out. Let them earn whatever they can earn, just not for playing sports at a college.

However, any injury sustained by any college athlete should be completely the responsibility of the college. Frankly it never occurred to me that it wasn't already. And colleges should pay for group disability insurance as well. And insurance companies should be encouraged to provide "free" insurance for top prospects who decide to risk their health by staying in school. BIG premiums coming out of the first pro contracts of those who make it, payouts to those whose pro careers are derailed by injury, but no cost otherwise. A kid shouldn't get paid for going to school, but he shouldn't pay a price for doing so either. A little common sense could go a long way.

I think nearly everyone would agree with this ^. But the colleges aren't willing to do this. Because there is to much money to be made....I dont recall this being a discussion at all 15years ago. But now the mass influx of $ seems to be making things more complicated....

Not to go on a tangent. But a majority of these schools are publicly funded. How these publicly funded schools (and professional teams) get away with charging premium $ for TV rights, and not making them publicly available I dont know. 

This slowly opening can of worms, slugs and maggots is exactly why, following the USC / Reggie Bush mess....treated with a wink and a nod by that ship-jumping conniver Pete Carroll and fired AD Mike Garrett....I happily began rooting exclusively for the military service academies.

Or should it have been okay for Bush's family to be put up free of charge in a luxury home and receive various other perks, like $1500 a week?

Anyway.....service academy athletic department budgets are largely funded out of their respective service branch budgets....and the student-athletes (IN THAT ORDER) attend those institutions for reasons well beyond the "fill the stadium / win at all costs or you're fired" environment that college football is now helplessly and hopelessly in bondage to.

So if I'm gonna root for players on the college football level....I'd prefer to root for those who view their role as football players as secondary to their role as college students, and who've sworn to defend the country as well. Even if it's at a level of football below that of the perennial powerhouses. 

At this point, I honestly don't care what happens with major college football players in this "pay them or don't pay them" debate. The injury/medical coverage piece of it I can understand....with sports it happens.

But I watch major college football now to see who might make it into the NFL and onto the Colts roster....and that's where my interest ends. The rest of it is just getting too messy for me to be a devoted fan of any longer....so I root for the academy teams.

Not because I'm on some high horse....or that there isn't rampant greed going on at the hands of the NCAA, college ADs, slimy alumni boosters and all the rest. There is all that....as well as occasional cheating or other scandals among some academy cadets.

I'm just sick and tired of hearing about a large chunk of these scholarship so-called student-athletes at major football factories crying poor-mouth, but at the same time taking no advantage of the scholarship they were given....and winding up the same uneducated dunces they were the day they showed up on campus.

Because for too healthy a chunk of major college football players....this entire "student-athlete" moniker is a complete joke....and we all know it.

So you wanna get paid? Then make the NFL....AND, here's a novel concept....earn that degree in case you're not good enough or an injury happens, and put that degree to work.

Otherwise....cry me a river.

Well first off, if the NCAA is nonprofit, they shouldn't be making a profit by definition. Same with the NFL, it should not be legal. But Im paying into the system, and that covers scholarships for athletes. Thats fine, I accept that its part of college. But they get so much for free as is, in many cases academic standards are subpar for athletes and they get preferential treatment in every way imaginable. This has nothing to do with pro athletes. For example, Im an engineering major, I have to get an unpaid internship just to be able to get a job after college. This is the norm. Athletes are the same way, except they don't have to pay for school so they already have the no debt head start.

Well first off, if the NCAA is nonprofit, they shouldn't be making a profit by definition. Same with the NFL, it should not be legal. But Im paying into the system, and that covers scholarships for athletes. Thats fine, I accept that its part of college. But they get so much for free as is, in many cases academic standards are subpar for athletes and they get preferential treatment in every way imaginable. This has nothing to do with pro athletes. For example, Im an engineering major, I have to get an unpaid internship just to be able to get a job after college. This is the norm. Athletes are the same way, except they don't have to pay for school so they already have the no debt head start.

if you are jealous then you should have worked on your jump shot. I also was in debt after college. But i wasn't among the best athletes in the world either

The only real solution IMO is to get rid of sports scholarship altogether and force the NFL and NBA to create minor leagues and pay 18 year olds who are only in college to get drafted by the pro teams anyways. Heck, NBA players only have to play one year and that is a rule deemed by the NBA.

This whole thing is a big mirage IMO. The major colleges are filthy rich and everyone knows the athletes are not really students yet they are getting an academic ride because they can play ball and make a ton of money for their schools. Makes no sense. Smart people, academic people should get free rides to colleges not athletes. And if you start to PAY these athletes to play for your college then you have lost all credibility and where do you begin and end? How much does a women's volleyball player get paid vs the star basketball player? Who decides?

Just start a minor leagues ...

"Instead of talking about money, they're talking about more important benefits, like establishing post-graduate health care for players who sustain injuries while playing for their respective schools. Now that's the kind of gift that can keep on giving."

In Adrian Peterson's advocacy for paying student athletes, the quote above highlights an important distinction: What's more important a monthly stipend or healthcare benefits paid in full by the university if you are severely injured on the field? Money or full medical coverage guaranteed? 

I think a full paid scholarship to that university is enough... they don't need more than that. If they're good, they can get paid like crazy in the NFL. If they suck, then they can pursue a good degree and make money elsewhere.

1 major weakness with that scenario. Most people need the scholarship to attend college in the 1st place often come from impoverished backgrounds. There is no money to start over at a new school if your college career does not pan out. The scholarship itself is not enough & it will never be enough IMO. 

And what happens when a great RB with natural instincts can barely read, but is heavily recruited by a HC with deep alumni pockets blows out his knee, loses his scholarship, is forced to leave college in shame, & lives out the remainder of his life poor with no employment prospects? Does the HC hold any responsibility in that equation for giving that RB false hope not caring if he can read, write, or graduate in the 1st place? 

1 major weakness with that scenario. Most people need the scholarship to attend college in the 1st place often come from impoverished backgrounds. There is no money to start over at a new school if your college career does not pan out. The scholarship itself is not enough & it will never be enough IMO. 

And what happens when a great RB with natural instincts can barely read, but is heavily recruited by a HC with deep alumni pockets blows out his knee, loses his scholarship, is forced to leave college in shame, & lives out the remainder of his life poor with no employment prospects? Does the HC hold any responsibility in that equation for giving that RB false hope not caring if he can read, write, or graduate in the 1st place? 

SW1....you raise good points, coaches and ADs most definitely bear some responsibility, because the real crime is that too many athletes leave college at the end of 4 years, or sooner, no better equipped for life than when they showed up.

There does however need to be some accountability on the part of the student-athlete.  Things are made quite a bit easier for them to cruise thru class requirements at some football-centric schools and many players are only too happy to take advantage of that. Then comes draft day and no phone call from an NFL GM....and things go downhill from there.

But amfootball brought up a very good point too.....because for decades extremely wealthy owners of NFL teams have gotten the REAL free ride in all of this in having a cost-free feeder system of college football to draft from.

NFL owners need to be part of whatever solution there is to all this is.

A couple hundred bucks a month pay in the college player's pocket is not the only problem here, nor is it the biggest problem.

The only real solution IMO is to get rid of sports scholarship altogether and force the NFL and NBA to create minor leagues and pay 18 year olds who are only in college to get drafted by the pro teams anyways. Heck, NBA players only have to play one year and that is a rule deemed by the NBA.

This whole thing is a big mirage IMO. The major colleges are filthy rich and everyone knows the athletes are not really students yet they are getting an academic ride because they can play ball and make a ton of money for their schools. Makes no sense. Smart people, academic people should get free rides to colleges not athletes. And if you start to PAY these athletes to play for your college then you have lost all credibility and where do you begin and end? How much does a women's volleyball player get paid vs the star basketball player? Who decides?

Just start a minor leagues ...

But what is that a solution to?

If a teen plays in the minor leagues and doesn't make the NFL or NBA (most wont)..what happens to him if he didn't go to school?

..athletes who get a scholarship but arent good enough for the pros..still get the free scholarship for 4 years. Do you want to take that away from them?

..and again...the college are not filthy rich....revenue sports pay for all nonnrevenue sports...do you want non-revenue sport kids not to be able to attend college..

The system works really well for the majority of scholasrship kids

"Instead of talking about money, they're talking about more important benefits, like establishing post-graduate health care for players who sustain injuries while playing for their respective schools. Now that's the kind of gift that can keep on giving."

In Adrian Peterson's advocacy for paying student athletes, the quote above highlights an important distinction: What's more important a monthly stipend or healthcare benefits paid in full by the university if you are severely injured on the field? Money or full medical coverage guaranteed? 

This is the only good argument..There does need to be a fund that [pays from seriously hurt college athletes.

But it cant be payments for life....that's not realistic in any business.

The problem with the union saying NOW that they dont want players paid...is that the union's leadership will change every 3 or 4 years and future union heads may indeed want cash .

I think money from the sale of jerseys and autographs can be used for a catastrophic injury fund..but not to pad the pockets of amatuer athletes

But what is that a solution to?

If a teen plays in the minor leagues and doesn't make the NFL or NBA (most wont)..what happens to him if he didn't go to school?

..athletes who get a scholarship but arent good enough for the pros..still get the free scholarship for 4 years. Do you want to take that away from them?

..and again...the college are not filthy rich....revenue sports pay for all nonnrevenue sports...do you want non-revenue sport kids not to be able to attend college..

The system works really well for the majority of scholasrship kids

I just don't subscribe to the idea that you should get a free ride into college because you are an athlete. The two in fact are diametrically opposed in my view which is why we have this issue of athletes getting paid from the very institution that is given them a free education. Why should education be predicated on athleticism? Seems to be a slap in the face of what is supposed to be an institution of higher learning. And how come my academic scholarship to BU didn't give me a free ride on the basketball team? Seems it should work both ways but that would never happen but it is ok for scores of athletes to pretend to be students and take that tuition from other folks who would actually want to go to school and earn a degree.