Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3yrs/22mill Guaranteed?

Luck_Is_Skilled

Some of you guys don't understand what I'm saying.

His transition tag is at 12 million. In order for the Jagaurs to sign him, they have to pay more than 12 million. 

You really need to just kind of sneak out of this thread.....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did he say he didn't want to play in Cleveland?

I think his lack of wanting to sign an extension or being serious about wanting a new contract with Cleveland speaks volumes. I think that whole reason for the trans tag is to keep players who would rather go else where and play. just imo

I think his lack of wanting to sign an extension or being serious about wanting a new contract with Cleveland speaks volumes. I think that whole reason for the trans tag is to keep players who would rather go else where and play. just imo

They could have hit him with the franchise tag, then other teams would have no chance of signing him. Cleveland put the transition tag on him so he could find out what market value was for him.

They could have hit him with the franchise tag, then other teams would have no chance of signing him. Cleveland put the transition tag on him so he could find out what market value was for him.

It's crazy to use a franchise tag on a center as it's more than 50% higher than the highest paid center in the league receives. 

Franchise Tag ... around 12 mill.

Ryan Kalil 2014 cap hit   ....7.3 mill

It's crazy to use a franchise tag on a center as it's more than 50% higher than the highest paid center in the league receives.

Franchise Tag ... around 12 mill.

Ryan Kalil 2014 cap hit ....7.3 mill

The transition tag is 10 million.

The transition tag is 10 million.

Yes , I know that. I was responding to you saying (see below") they could have used the franchise tag on him and was pointing out that it would be ridiculous to use that tag.

"They could have hit him with the franchise tag, then other teams would have no chance of signing him. Cleveland put the transition tag on him so he could find out what market value was for him."

Yes , I know that. I was responding to you saying (see below") they could have used the franchise tag on him and was pointing out that it would be ridiculous to use that tag.

"They could have hit him with the franchise tag, then other teams would have no chance of signing him. Cleveland put the transition tag on him so he could find out what market value was for him."

its only 2 million more than he is currently tagged at, with the money they had available it could have been done.

its only 2 million more than he is currently tagged at, with the money they had available it could have been done.

And 2 million more than that would be 14 million... double what the highest paid center in the league has for a 2014 cap rate. 10 mill per year for a guy worth around 6.5 is already obscene. I mean they have enough money to give him 20 mill ... 25 mill. My point is Cleveland nor anyone else is going to pay a center 12 mill per year... even for just one year.

And 2 million more than that would be 14 million... double what the highest paid center in the league has for a 2014 cap rate. 10 mill per year for a guy worth around 6.5 is already obscene. I mean they have enough money to give him 20 mill ... 25 mill. My point is Cleveland nor anyone else is going to pay a center 12 mill per year... even for just one year.

12 million = totally insane

10 million = perfectly logical

Gotcha

Yeah, those numbers are kind of a laugh. The Browns are set to pay Mack $10m for one year, fully guaranteed. Why would they balk at $22m guaranteed over three years?

I don't think the guaranteed money is relevant in this case. Sure, if someone offers him some obscene amount of guaranteed money, the Browns might hesitate. But $22m isn't gonna get it done.

It would fall under the Transition Tag

ok I'll admit I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if someone points this out already. But here goes.....

I think you're misunderstanding the transition tag. His salary under this year's tag is $10 mil yes, but the avg/yr salary of any contract offer mack accepts doesn't have to be 10+ mil. Maybe a team offers 3 years $18 mil 15 guaranteed. If he accepts then Cleveland can match it and keep him or not match and let him walk to his new team. 

Mack is not worth 10+ million.

I'd be mad if we paid him 8+ million.

I'm not sure why people think Center's are the holy grail all of a sudden. Who was Jeff Saturday when he was signed?

When Samson Satele is your center for 2 years you begin to appreciate how important the center position really is.

I know there is a Mack thread but I wanted to focus specifically on this new nugget of info. Do you believe this would be too much to offer Mack? Do you think the Colts feel this is too much to offer Mack?

Considering you didn`t understand the money/contract involved and don`t seem to understand there is no reason to make a Lowball or Highball offer as Cleveland has positioned themselves to Match, what is your next thread?

12 million = totally insane

10 million = perfectly logical

Gotcha

Never said the 10 million was the right price . It's way too high as the top center in the NFL has a cap hit of just over 7 million. What don't you understand about 12 million being out of the question for a position that the top player makes around 7 to 8 mill ?

This says something different, and that Cleveland gave him the go ahead to test the market, yet take him up on the offer to match.  They could have put the non-exclusive franchise tag on him for just 1.6 million more than the transition tag.  Then if any team signed Mack, that team would forfeit two #1 draft picks.

Cleveland will match any reasonable offer, but will also let out enough rope for another team to hang themselves on the salary cap rope if they so desire.  25 million guaranteed over 3 years (plus incentives) might be where the noose begins to be securely snuggled around the signing teams neck.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/26/alex-mack-says-hell-give-browns-chance-to-match-a-free-agent-offer/

It Averages to 7.33 so it would be under the 10 Mil. TT unless it weighted towards the front end

It doesn't matter if it's under the tag.  A team could offer him a 2 year 10 million dollar contract and if Mack presented that offer to Clevelan and they did not match then the new team would sign him for $10 million for 2 years.  Now, Mack would be silly to take an offer like that but the only thing the Transition tag does is guarantee what is pay will be if he signs the transition offer for the 2014 season.  It has no bearing whatsoever on any new contract he may be offered or accept.

ok I'll admit I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if someone points this out already. But here goes.....

I think you're misunderstanding the transition tag. His salary under this year's tag is $10 mil yes, but the avg/yr salary of any contract offer mack accepts doesn't have to be 10+ mil. Maybe a team offers 3 years $18 mil 15 guaranteed. If he accepts then Cleveland can match it and keep him or not match and let him walk to his new team.

It doesn't matter if it's under the tag.  A team could offer him a 2 year 10 million dollar contract and if Mack presented that offer to Clevelan and they did not match then the new team would sign him for $10 million for 2 years.  Now, Mack would be silly to take an offer like that but the only thing the Transition tag does is guarantee what is pay will be if he signs the transition offer for the 2014 season.  It has no bearing whatsoever on any new contract he may be offered or accept.

I was pointing out that with Cleveland current situation anything that falls under the TT of 10 mil the Browns would match

How? The tag is $10mill for 1 year. This says $22mill over 3years.

The tag is just a one year deal that works like a franchise tag in the sense that salary is set for the year and that's it.  Other teams can make offers.  It doesnt' matter how big or small the offer is and any offer made is irrespective of the amount of the tender.  All that matters is, if a different team makes an offer to Mack, adn Mack accepts it, the Browns will have the opportunity to match it.  If it's matched, Browns retain him.  If the Browns don't match it, then Mack goes to the other team (or maybe its' the other way around - team makes offer, browns match, and then mack can either sign or refurse, not sure on that part, but think I originally had it right).

But that would have been a stupid move. Cleveland would love for someone to make an offer.

i agree, i was just pointing out to the poster that said Cleveland was being unfair to mack, that it could have been worse if he truly wants out of Cleveland

I was pointing out that with Cleveland current situation anything that falls under the TT of 10 mil the Browns would match

Not necessarily. A team could offer 10 years 90 million. That would be less than ten million a year. Now, no team will offer that. But you get my point

when did the transition tag amount for Mack jump from $10 mil to $12 mil?

when did the transition tag amount for Mack jump from $10 mil to $12 mil?

The highest paid Center in the NFL aside from what Mack stands to make on the transition tag is Ryan Kalil.  His cap hit for 2014 is $7,284,000.  You really think any team is going to give Mack a contract that averages almost twice that?  Kalil's contract was for 6 years/$49,116,000 which averages to $8,186,000 per year.  I'm thinking an average of $8.5-10 Mil is the range Mack's going to be looking for.  

You are one of the few in this thread that actually knows what the heck is going on. Cheers.

He is hoping to lure a huge deal, why would you even visit with Jacksonville otherwise? That is one of the very few Franchises that is actually more inept than the Browns. 

But that would have been a stupid move. Cleveland would love for someone to make an offer.

Exactly.  If the offer was even half way reasonable, Cleveland gets to lock up Mack on a contract with pout even having to negotiate, by matching the offer tendered.  Boom, done deal.  If it is not a reasonable offer, they shake their head in disgust, and let Mack go and hope the overpay the other team spent to steal the player sinks them in any future personnel acquisitions or star player retention's.

If Mack doesn't get an offer sheet, and  he doesn't sign the transition tender by July 22, only the Browns can negotiate with Mack for a contract for 2014. (Until after game 10, at least, I believe).  So Mack can't participate in camp, nor play in 2014 unless he signs an offer (that may or may not be matched), or the transition tender. Or finally agrees to terms with Cleveland after July 22, 2014.

You can"t assume anything under 10/yr will get matched, That's absurd. There are too many variables in a  contract to state as fact that they'll match anything under 10/yr. Really it all boils down to the length of the offer and the amount guaranteed. 

I think it'll take a long term deal for 8-9 mil per year with an insane amount guaranteed to steal him away. I think any team that really wants him is going to have to try to scare Cleveland with the amount of guaranteed money. And then Mack can Haynesworth his way to the bank. lol

WHY are u guys so high on Mack we don't need a the best center to be gud just and average one, going from the worst center to an average one is a big jump, so we are gonna be better by default, Holmes can't be any worst then satele and we still was a gud team playing with only 10 players

WHY are u guys so high on Mack we don't need a the best center to be gud just and average one, going from the worst center to an average one is a big jump, so we are gonna be better by default, Holmes can't be any worst then satele and we still was a gud team playing with only 10 players

gud thinking

Considering you didn`t understand the money/contract involved and don`t seem to understand there is no reason to make a Lowball or Highball offer as Cleveland has positioned themselves to Match, what is your next thread?

I do understand the contract/money situation. Maybe I titled the thread wrong but I do understand that it says "if Mack is offered a contract that guarantees 22 million over the first three years they would be unlikely to match."

Thanks for being a stinker.

The tag is just a one year deal that works like a franchise tag in the sense that salary is set for the year and that's it.  Other teams can make offers.  It doesnt' matter how big or small the offer is and any offer made is irrespective of the amount of the tender.  All that matters is, if a different team makes an offer to Mack, adn Mack accepts it, the Browns will have the opportunity to match it.  If it's matched, Browns retain him.  If the Browns don't match it, then Mack goes to the other team (or maybe its' the other way around - team makes offer, browns match, and then mack can either sign or refurse, not sure on that part, but think I originally had it right).

I understand the terms of the tag. The post you quoted was in response to another post, but thanks for the in depth explanation.

Not necessarily. A team could offer 10 years 90 million. That would be less than ten million a year. Now, no team will offer that. But you get my point

Heck let's just do a ten year 100 million contract......at least we would have him locked up through his career lol

I agree with this. We had really bad C and RG play, and inconsistent LG play. Getting better at both guard spots and getting rid of Satele should make a big difference.

Mack is a really good player, and it would be nice to have him, but not at his price tag. Once the Browns tagged him, it was pretty much set that we wouldn't get him. And I don't think there was much chance of it happening even before then, to be honest.