Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3yrs/22mill Guaranteed?

Luck_Is_Skilled

I know there is a Mack thread but I wanted to focus specifically on this new nugget of info. Do you believe this would be too much to offer Mack? Do you think the Colts feel this is too much to offer Mack?

Alex Mack - C - Browns

A league source told the Florida Times Union the Jaguars would likely have to create an offer sheet worth at least $22 million guaranteed over the first three years to lure transition-tagged C Alex Mack out of Cleveland.

Per OverTheCap.com, the Browns currently have $30.78 million in cap space, the most in the league and over $5 million more than the Jaguars. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport tweeted Saturday that there's a "very good possibility" Jacksonville extends Mack an offer sheet, but Cleveland has both the means and right to match. Because Mack was transition tagged and not franchise tagged, the Browns would receive no draft-pick compensation if they declined to match.

Related: Jaguars

Source: Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter

Apr 5 - 6:09 PM

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It Averages to 7.33 so it would be under the 10 Mil. TT unless it weighted towards the front end

Sorry, misunderstood when you said "under" the tag. Wish you would have said "below" but whatevs. Lol

The Tag this year is $10mill, and he would likely get franchised by the Browns next year for another $12mill so that is $22mill over the next two years that someone would have to be willing to offer. My question is if we were to offer a deal to Mack, what are the rules on how soon a deal can be re-structured? Can we the allocate money towards bonuses to make room for the eventual extensions we'd need to get done?

Sorry, misunderstood when you said "under" the tag. Wish you would have said "below" but whatevs. Lol

The Tag this year is $10mill, and he would likely get franchised by the Browns next year for another $12mill so that is $22mill over the next two years that someone would have to be willing to offer. My question is if we were to offer a deal to Mack, what are the rules on how soon a deal can be re-structured? Can we the allocate money towards bonuses to make room for the eventual extensions we'd need to get done?

Even though the poison pill is illegal, it can still be done. The problem is, unless it's done right the Browns can match and he's stuck with them for years.

Whoever signs him is going to overpay, but I think it's a good investment. He would automatically make both guards better.

Mack's talent can't be denied....but now we're talking damn-near starting QB money.

Let the Jags drain some of their cap space at Center. They're trying to fix an awful lot of things thru free agency....and it hardly ever works out well that way.

Personally I hope they badly overpay for Mack and then compound their idiocy by drafting Johnny Manziel.

The contract isn't going to be 3 years 22 million, the 22 million is the guaranteed part. 

It should be around 3 years $47 million with 22 million guaranteed. 

Good lord. 3 years $47 million? In Mack's dreams.

Between $13-16 million a year is his price range.

I just figured that one of the teams is going over pay him heavily. 

lmao!

You guys do realize that only guaranteed money counts in the NFL, right? Anything above that is negotiated.

When has a center ever made even close to 13-16 million a year, guaranteed or not? If he plays out his contract than that money is real.

Obviously teams aren't even close to interested in that price or the transition tag of 10million wouldn't have made them blink.

When has a center ever made even close to 13-16 million a year, guaranteed or not? If he plays out his contract than that money is real.

Obviously teams aren't even close to interested in that price or the transition tag of 10million wouldn't have made them blink.

Only the guaranteed money is real. If he plays out his contract they'll renegotiate and extend. If it's really 22M for 3 years, it's a good deal. The Browns would match that easily, so they inflate the fantasy numbers to free him up.

Standard practice in the NFL. Poison pill is illegal now, but there are still ways to do it.

Only the guaranteed money is real. If he plays out his contract they'll renegotiate and extend. If it's really 22M for 3 years, it's a good deal. The Browns would match that easily, so they inflate the fantasy numbers to free him up.

Standard practice in the NFL. Poison pill is illegal now, but there are still ways to do it.

It's not that simple. I can't say I know the ins and outs of NFL contracts but the way you state it, if they signed him to 3 yrs 8 billion dollar contract with 22 million guaranteed, it's a good deal. 

Just because a contract isn't fully guaranteed doesn't mean that player isn't going to make ever dime of it, barring being cut. Sure they can extend the contract but the player has to agree to it and you'll still be paying him.

Darrelle Revis signed a 6yr/96 million dollar contract with $0 guaranteed with the Bucs last year. Did he not make his 16 million last year or was it fantasy? It made it essentially a year by year contract, making it easy to cut him, but that 16 million in 2013 was very real and essentially guaranteed. 

I feel if Mack gets a contract of 16 million a year (he won't) he will have very little interest in extending or renegotiating such a deal. Why would he?

No team will ever pay a center 16 million dollars per year. Guaranteed money doesn't matter he's at least playing 2 years under that deal you give him.

The highest paid Center in the NFL aside from what Mack stands to make on the transition tag is Ryan Kalil.  His cap hit for 2014 is $7,284,000.  You really think any team is going to give Mack a contract that averages almost twice that?  Kalil's contract was for 6 years/$49,116,000 which averages to $8,186,000 per year.  I'm thinking an average of $8.5-10 Mil is the range Mack's going to be looking for.  

The contract isn't going to be 3 years 22 million, the 22 million is the guaranteed part.

It should be around 3 years $47 million with 22 million guaranteed.

I don't know where you're getting your numbers, but there is no way on earth he gets that kind of money. That is more than elite left tackles.

All they have to due is give him more guaranteed money, 12 million. Example..... could be 4 years 40 mill with 21 guaranteed, you would be paying for 3 years of service at 7 million at year with the option 4th year which in this example would be crazy.  12 mill transition tag sounds good but only 12 guaranteed, he gets hurt that year and it may cost him his next contract.  That's why most go after the the guaranteed CASH.

Guaranteed money is not the only real money, obviously players can make money yearly.  But, if one does get injured or IR the player gets cut and bye bye to your money.......depending on your contract......look it up, there are many players that have some talent and never make a name for themselves and are cut just to save a buck.  Revis got paid because he played the whole year, you think for a minute if he tore his acl again they are gonna pay a guy on the bench 16 million.  No way, that is why guaranteed is so important.