Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kurt Coleman to visit Colts

VAcoltsfan

I still say Howell is going to surprise some people. He missed 3 games in 4 yrs at Stanford. Senior yr   He was awarded the Jack Huston Award for "the player who best exemplifies aggressiveness, exceptional performance and unheralded efforts" and was named to the All-Pac-12 Conference first team.

He was injured last year when it looked like just putting the horseshoe on was a danger to ones health. I think it's a bit premature to label him injury prone.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say Howell is going to surprise some people. He missed 3 games in 4 yrs at Stanford. Senior yr He was awarded the Jack Huston Award for "the player who best exemplifies aggressiveness, exceptional performance and unheralded efforts" and was named to the All-Pac-12 Conference first team.

He was injured last year when it looked like just putting the horseshoe on was a danger to ones health. I think it's a bit premature to label him injury prone.

After last season, the entire team is injury prone.

The moment you become a Colts player, you're injury prone. Gotta be something in the water up there in Indy

I may be completely alone in this, but I want to see what Howell can really do given the chance. He looked great in the games he played last year. We have had good luck with no name safeties recently.

I think he did just fine as well.  The Colts concern with him is injuries.  Lets get to camp and see who wins on the field!! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

After last season, the entire team is injury prone.

The moment you become a Colts player, you're injury prone. Gotta be something in the water up there in Indy

Bad conditioning coaches, playing on one of the hardest fields in the entire league, and a bad habit of acquiring players with injury red flags (or in the Dungy era, acquiring midgets) because they're cheaper all lead to the multiple injuries our team seems to suffer every year. Something has got to give though. It's to the point where I look at our roster heading into the year, and automatically subtract 3-4 key players from both sides of the ball, because I'm expecting to lose some combination of them at some point in the season  

Listen, I live in PA and see all the Eagles games..

If he's signed he's going to play pure special teams and backup role.

He's horrible as a starter.. He's a below average safety at best and a bust for Philly.

Ugh..... Great

Bad conditioning coaches, playing on one of the hardest fields in the entire league, and a bad habit of acquiring players with injury red flags (or in the Dungy era, acquiring midgets) because they're cheaper all lead to the multiple injuries our team seems to suffer every year. Something has got to give though. It's to the point where I look at our roster heading into the year, and automatically subtract 3-4 key players from both sides of the ball, because I'm expecting to lose some combination of them at some point in the season  

Where did that come from?

Where did that come from?

We were regarded as having the best articifial turf by players in a 2011 survey, but 69% of the players liked grass surfaces better and felt that artificial turf leads to more soreness/injuries and shortens careers. So while we're the best of the bunch regarding field turf, the fact that we play on turf at all, I feel, is what has greatly contributed to our recent rash of injury problems

I may be completely alone in this, but I want to see what Howell can really do given the chance. He looked great in the games he played last year. We have had good luck with no name safeties recently.

You are not alone. I also liked what I saw from Howell when he was out there last season. I have not problem letting him see what he can do. I think we still should draft a S to compete for the spot and see how it all turns out.

We were regarded as having the best articifial turf by players in a 2011 survey, but 69% of the players liked grass surfaces better and felt that artificial turf leads to more soreness/injuries and shortens careers. So while we're the best of the bunch regarding field turf, the fact that we play on turf at all, I feel, is what has greatly contributed to our recent rash of injury problems

I agree with a lot of this, but still not sure how this correlates to the Colts playing on one of the hardest fields in the league.  

I agree that turf leads to more injuries, but how many teams still play on actual real grass?  So while I do agree that turf leads to more injuries, I don't think the Colts would have been more affected by it than any other team that plays on turf.

lmao   My reaction when Peyton was cut "He was my friend and you cut him! What if I cut you?! WHAT IF I CUT YOU?!"

Is it October yet?

lol I have no clue why, but I read this as if the Joker was saying it, and it made me laugh so hard...like to the point i kind of embarrassed myself in front of my coworkers.

It's your opinion that Howell is better than Coleman. You're basing that on a 3 start and 6 game career? Against a guy who's started almost 30 games in four years.

Again, I'm not saying he's the best FA out there. But people really need to open their eyes when comparing him to what we have and calling him "depth". We're pretty darn shallow now.

Coleman had a lot more time to show what he does or doesn't have. I think we can say pretty definitively what kind of player he is. We have less on Howell, but what we do have looks better than what Coleman is. It is my opinion, and nothing more than that, of course. But if were up to me, based on what we know, I'd have Howell ahead of Coleman on the depth chart, no question about it.

And that would make a potential Coleman acquisition kind of non-essential, other than the injury concerns with Howell and Brown. I'd rather hold out for the draft and UDFAs, personally. I'd say "depth" is the perfect description of a potential Coleman signing.

Again, JMO. But that's what we do here, right?

i remember him at ohio state and as a huge fan of OSU i'm a little biased towards players that come from there. i thought he would be a solid nfl talent and i still think he is a decent depth ST safety but we have enough of those on the roster. i was a little dissapointed with him when i saw him play in philly but i wouldn't mind signing him. i think Delano Howell would beat him out to start, but he would be a good back up still hope we draft a safety just hopefully not with our first pick now .

i remember him at ohio state and as a huge fan of OSU i'm a little biased towards players that come from there. i thought he would be a solid nfl talent and i still think he is a decent depth ST safety but we have enough of those on the roster. i was a little dissapointed with him when i saw him play in philly but i wouldn't mind signing him. i think Delano Howell would beat him out to start, but he would be a good back up still hope we draft a safety just hopefully not with our first pick now .

Fellow Buckeye here, and I remember him mostly for his hit that paralyzed a receiver. I didn't think he was pro material and was kind of surprised that he was drafted and actually made a team.

I read about all of the charitable activities he's been involved in at OSU and on. He's a really good guy. I know that doesn't make him a good player but I got very irritated at some of the irresponsible comments made about him here.

I think people are more worried about the health of are safety's... Landry, possibly Howell are both injury prone players... Need others as well! And you have to expect people to be excited about players we draft! Everyone is always excited about them... Your saying players need to grow so why not start a rookie we draft and let him grow.. Or Atleast be a backup and get some games in because there is no doubt in my mind Landry and Howell will miss game(s)

More what I'm implying is that everyone is soo shook up worrying about Howell starting but yet have no issues starting a 2nd rd or 3rd rd rookie. Some don't want that but wanted every single safety on the market...what I'm saying is I have no problem letting Howell start and giving him a shot and drafting a back up. At some point some of our backups have to become starters or we will never be great. You can't fill your team full of expensive FAs and top draft picks....you have to develop some talent along the way...and if they think they can do that with Howell...sweet!

More what I'm implying is that everyone is soo shook up worrying about Howell starting but yet have no issues starting a 2nd rd or 3rd rd rookie. Some don't want that but wanted every single safety on the market...what I'm saying is I have no problem letting Howell start and giving him a shot and drafting a back up. At some point some of our backups have to become starters or we will never be great. You can't fill your team full of expensive FAs and top draft picks....you have to develop some talent along the way...and if they think they can do that with Howell...sweet!

I'm with you to an extent! If a rookie can come in and show more than Howell than I am all for him starting.. But if he isn't I'm completely for Howell getting the starting job! Just nervous about injuries that's all