Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano: Colts will try and Draft a Safety...

NewColtsFan

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck! What are you doing!

Don't leak out our draft plans!

Now the Jaguars and Titans will be drafting a safety with every pick..

Should be more worried about the possibility of Khalil Mack and Clowney being in our division. Also a chance we'll see Anthony Bar twice a year too. I'm a lot more worried about the pass rushers coming our way, than them taking safeties. Plus you don't really have to fear secondaries with Andrew Luck.

Should be more worried about the possibility of Khalil Mack and Clowney being in our division. Also a chance we'll see Anthony Bar twice a year too. I'm a lot more worried about the pass rushers coming our way, than them taking safeties. Plus you don't really have to fear secondaries with Andrew Luck.

I was just being sarcastic man..

And one player doesn't change a team, unless it's a QB.

I'm not worried.

With dyne few moves we made in free agency, along with the guys we have coming back from injury.. We should be in pretty good shape.. Just need to build the defense and offensive line.

I was just being sarcastic man..

And one player doesn't change a team, unless it's a QB.

I'm not worried.

With dyne few moves we made in free agency, along with the guys we have coming back from injury.. We should be in pretty good shape.. Just need to build the defense and offensive line.

-JJ Watt

-Adrian Peterson

-Calvin Johnson

-JJ Watt

-Adrian Peterson

-Calvin Johnson

Let me correct SupermanLuck on that

ONE player doesn't bring a team a championship unless it's a QB

Those names you listed, sure they're good/great players. But combined, how many AFC/NFC championships & super bowls do they have?

-JJ Watt

-Adrian Peterson

-Calvin Johnson

I might consider giving you Watt, but Favre did significantly more to change the fortunes of the Vikings than Peterson, even as great a RB as he is. I also have a huge man crush on Megatron, but his addition didn't single handedly vault the Lions from perennial door mats to playoff contenders either.

Clowney, Mack, etc etc.....

None of them are shutting down our offense. People aren't realizing the potential this offense has barring injury.

Reggie Wayne

Ty Hilton

Hakeem Nicks

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Da'Rick Rogers

Griff Whalen

LaVon Brazill

Ahmad Bradshaw

Vick Ballard

Trent Richardson

Last but not least: The Bearded Caveman Andrew Luck

Clowney, Mack, etc etc.....

None of them are shutting down our offense. People aren't realizing the potential this offense has barring injury.

Reggie Wayne

Ty Hilton

Hakeem Nicks

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Da'Rick Rogers

Griff Whalen

LaVon Brazill

Ahmad Bradshaw

Vick Ballard

Trent Richardson

Last but not least: The Bearded Caveman Andrew Luck

Yes, potential. But as you say, gotta get healthy(Reggie and Dwayne Allen)and stay healthy

Let me correct SupermanLuck on that

ONE player doesn't bring a team a championship unless it's a QB

Those names you listed, sure they're good/great players. But combined, how many AFC/NFC championships & super bowls do they have?

None, but they are all potential HoF players on teams that have high draft picks. But I agree, they don't win championships, but they can be the reason why one team is even remotely competitive. Adrian Peterson carried his team to the playoffs in 2012. Kurt Warner has said Stafford is the most undisciplined QB in the league, and Megatron makes him look really good.

I might consider giving you Watt, but Favre did significantly more to change the fortunes of the Vikings than Peterson, even as great a RB as he is. I also have a huge man crush on Megatron, but his addition didn't single handedly vault the Lions from perennial door mats to playoff contenders either.

When he was there yes. But they also went to the playoffs with Christian Ponder at center. They don't even sniff the playoffs if not for Peterson's MVP season.

The Colts' coach turned his attention to the draft and said they would like to select a safety.

“There are some great safeties in the draft,” Pagano said. “We have our board set, we’ll tweak it as we go through the month of April, go to pro days and gather information on the draft. We’ll see how the draft goes and how the board is once we get to our first pick. It’ll be nice to get a young one in the fold, but we’ll see how it goes.”

Not exactly saying they will look in the draft but I dont think they are in any hurry to sign anyone off the FA list, My guess...and this is just a guess...If Jimmie Ward is there at 59 he is our man, But that will be settled come draft day,

Yeah, I get what Pagano was saying, and I'm positive I'm probably reading into the subject headline too much - so I'll let that part of it go.  

Anyway, as for drafting a safety, I like Terrence Brooks as well.  And if we hadn't taken a S or CB prospect by the fifth, I like Antone Exum.  He's a little raw, and hasn't played S, but I think he projects better as a S than a CB.  He would require a little work as far as technique goes, especially since he hasn't played S, but he's coachable (though rumor is that he does have an arrogance about him, hopefully that's not a terrible red flag).  Pretty good ball skills, and can locate the ball in mid-air well. 

I'm not sure there's any kind of great history of safeties that small going in the first round. 

He's 5'11" and ~200 lbs.

Plenty of safeties have gone in the first round around that size. 

Brandon Meriwether, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Donte Whitner, Earl Thomas, ect... just to name a few. 

Antoine made plenty of big plays over the years. His play dropped off a bit but he is a better than average NFL safety and nothing you will say will change my mind. I watched him very closely for 8 years. He's had a great career

Always below average defending the pass and stuffed his tackling stats year after year cleaning up for a Suck run defense.

He did show up every week and was a very solid tackler. Definetely what he is above average at.

Made some plays up in the Box with a Huge number of opportunities, i watched him not be where he was needed plenty against the run and pass. Guess that is why he was a 6th rd pick.  A top 30 safety year in and year out, sure.

He's 5'11" and ~200 lbs.

Plenty of safeties have gone in the first round around that size. 

Brandon Meriwether, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Donte Whitner, Earl Thomas, ect... just to name a few. 

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/33978

His combine measurements show 5'10" 5/8 and 193.    To the best of my knowledge, he hasn't been weighed at 200 by anyone.

And he's not that fast.   About 4.6     The guys you list are much faster and more athletic

And here's their weight...

Merweather     195

Reed                205

Polamalu         207

Whitner            208

Thomas           202

I'm not trying to be a jerk here (I know, too late!)  or split hairs,  but when you're not that tall,  a 9-12 pound difference is a lot of weight.

He just feels very high to mid-2nd round to me.    I don't see him lasting until 59.

It's not the wholes in his game that concern me with Ward going in the first round.

But I believe he's sub-5'11" and he's sub-200 pounds.

I'm not sure there's any kind of great history of safeties that small going in the first round.   And if someone can come up with one, I'd guess he's exceptionally athletic.    Exceptionally something.   If you don't have size, you better have something else going for you!

Ed Reed was listed at 5'11" 205 .......Ward is listed at 193 .....so not a huge difference there... Ward is near 200.....Its not like he is 175-185lbs, I dont recall a Safety in recent memory going in the 1st who was under 200lbs but the weight is not what concerns me, Im the exact opposite of you, the holes in his game concern me. Now if he was like 5'9-5'8" THAT would concern me...I know there are short Safeties that can play well..Bob Sanders......But Im not a fan of drafting small safeties....especially early.

Ed Reed was listed at 5'11" 205 .......Ward is listed at 193 .....so not a huge difference there... Ward is near 200.....Its not like he is 175-185lbs, I dont recall a Safety in recen memory going in the 1st who was under 200lbs but the weight is not what concerns me, Im the exact opposite of you, the holes in his game concern me. Now if he was like 5'9-5'8" THAT would concern me...I know there are short Safeties that can play well..Bob Sanders......But Im not a fan of drafting small safeties....especially early.

I see it differently...

At his height, 10-12 pounds is a big difference.   Espeically since Ward does not appear to be the athlete that some of the other smaller 1st round safeties were/are.    Those guys have serious athletic gifts...   I don't think Ward is that gifted.

Hey....  I'm not trying to bad mouth the kid...   I just don't see him as a 1st rounder.    I still suspect he'll be off the board by the 50th pick or so.    I don't see him lasting to our pick at 59.

I see it differently...

At his height, 10-12 pounds is a big difference.   Espeically since Ward does not appear to be the athlete that some of the other smaller 1st round safeties were/are.    Those guys have serious athletic gifts...   I don't think Ward is that gifted.

Hey....  I'm not trying to bad mouth the kid...   I just don't see him as a 1st rounder.    I still suspect he'll be off the board by the 50th pick or so.    I don't see him lasting to our pick at 59.

I think we both dont really see him as a 1st rounder(Im not even sold on picking him at 59), Just different reasons, Though I believe his biggest problem is lack of consistent recovery speed when he gets beat

Always below average defending the pass and stuffed his tackling stats year after year cleaning up for a Suck run defense.

He did show up every week and was a very solid tackler. Definetely what he is above average at.

Made some plays up in the Box with a Huge number of opportunities, i watched him not be where he was needed plenty against the run and pass. Guess that is why he was a 6th rd pick.  A top 30 safety year in and year out, sure.

Our opinions differ I can accept that. San Francisco still thinks he can play. I'd like to add that I don't care how good of a defensive back you are, you are going to be out of position on occasion. That's one of the offenses goals is to get you out of postion it's going to happen. It happens to every player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/27282/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-safeties

That was 2011. As I said, I know his play has dropped off the last 2 years but I'm not  the only one who believed that Bethea was a top 10 safety.

I'm going to throw out a different name that hasn't been mentioned at all here:  Craig Loston, S, LSU. Very Solid player. Often compared to former teamate Eric Reid. Excellent player. Big hitter and great tackler. Can turn and run with tight ends in coverage. Not great at playing center field but I dont think thats what colts are looking for. Will take over for Bethea very well. Remember the mantra "need to run and stop the run". Loston will help with that. 3rd round guy

I don't know how anyone can debate that we need a safety in round 2, if not round 0.

Bethea is gone, Landry is injury-prone.

Also, both Greg Toler and Delano Howell finished the year on IR>

Round 2 - Safety

Round 3 - BEST pure pass rusher, even if it's a situational one.

I don't know how anyone can debate that we need a safety in round 2, if not round 0.

Bethea is gone, Landry is injury-prone.

Also, both Greg Toler and Delano Howell finished the year on IR>

Round 2 - Safety

Round 3 - BEST pure pass rusher, even if it's a situational one.

What is the best safety they have on their board is a 3rd round talent?  What is the BPA when they pick in the 2nd round is pass rusher?  They point is to not force a pick way ahead of their value beause of need.

And Greg Toler finishing the year on IR has no impact on their need to draft a safety.

Safety by far is our #1 priority in the draft, not only because of the void left by Bethea, but because both Landry and Toler in our secondary are somewhat injury-prone.

I would agree that Landry is somewhat injury prone, but Toler will get injured again for certain. He's never played an entire season since 2009. I can't wait til we get rid of him personally. 

What is the best safety they have on their board is a 3rd round talent?  What is the BPA when they pick in the 2nd round is pass rusher?  They point is to not force a pick way ahead of their value beause of need.

And Greg Toler finishing the year on IR has no impact on their need to draft a safety.

Take a Safety in the 2nd round, and pull an Eric Reid just like SF did last year.

Even Bob Sanders was a 2nd round pick.

I still think we need to draft 2.... Some good competition with rookies would be nice!!!

I agree. I think we should draft one in the 2nd, then another late. Terrence Brooks, then the best safety on the board in the 6th or 7th.