Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Believe In Jim Irsay/Jim Irsay carrying $29k during traffic stop (merge)

Synthetic

I'm tired of seeing this man dissed, and disowned by his own team's fans, so I'm going to tell you that I actually like him and believe in him.

Support your owner while you can, not that it really matters as I'm sure he has better things to worry about besides what fans think of him (if I was an owner I strictly wouldn't care what people think of me - not that I really care what people think of me anyway)

Be thankful Arthur Blank isn't your owner

Be thankful Paul Brown isn't your owner

Be thankful Jerry Jones isn't your owner

Be thankful Dan Synder isn't your owner.

Irsay isn't that bad of a guy. He seems like a cool guy anyway.

Give him some support, he is after all your owner and has done a hell of a job with this team over the years. I know a lot of people seem to hate him over Manning, but you have to move forward. Luck is the future, and I believe in Jim Irsay. The Colts will be back in the Super Bowl eventually.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen much hate towards Irsay at all in this forum. Just in the media.

Step #1....do not listen to the media.

And there may not be as much hate from the forums towards him but there used to be quite a bit of ridiculing when it came to his twitter use at times. That he was not acting like the stuffy other owners who say and do all the right things. Yes he used to sound like a nut at times but he was/is OUR nut.

Overall, the man is a drug addict. Has been for some time. He can get through this.....and besides, as humans we are all filled with flaws. His just became public though.

Amen Brother Bogie.......AMEN!!!!!!!!

irsay is about as likable as a billionaire can be to us common folk. not sure i'd trade him for any other owner

Golly, did someone put sawdust in your cornflakes?  Jim Irsay owns an NFL franchise.  I was a Colts fan when the franchise belonged to Robert Irsay.  That Jim Irsay became the person he is speaks volumes for his character.  So Jim got hooked on pain killers.  So did Bret Farve.  So have thousands of other people.  Jim and Bret just happen to be squarely in the public eye. 

I like Jim Irsay and remember when he was offered lots of money to move the franchise to the Left Coast.  Jim said he gave his word that the team would stay in Indy and the Colts franchise is still here.  Thanks Jim, we really appreciate that you kept your word. 

Jim will whip this addiction and most of us Colts fans are pulling for him and praying for him. 

God bless you Jim.  We are with you.  Colts Strong. 

Golly, did someone put sawdust in your cornflakes?  Jim Irsay owns an NFL franchise.  I was a Colts fan when the franchise belonged to Robert Irsay.  That Jim Irsay became the person he is speaks volumes for his character.  So Jim got hooked on pain killers.  So did Bret Farve.  So have thousands of other people.  Jim and Bret just happen to be squarely in the public eye. 

I like Jim Irsay and remember when he was offered lots of money to move the franchise to the Left Coast.  Jim said he gave his word that the team would stay in Indy and the Colts franchise is still here.  Thanks Jim, we really appreciate that you kept your word. 

Jim will whip this addiction and most of us Colts fans are pulling for him and praying for him. 

God bless you Jim.  We are with you.  Colts Strong. 

I think you may have misread his post.....

I'm glad Mr Irsay is our owner !!!  He seems like a great guy and does so much for our team and for the city !!!

Yes he has a problem, an addiction.  But we all face demons or addictions of one form or another. 

God speed Mr Irsay !!!  We are all rooting and pulling for you :)

Jim Irsay is the man. People that don't follow the Colts only know him from his Twitter shenanigans, which I see as just Jim having fun HIS way. Jim will get healthy again but he's going to fight this battle the rest of his life. I wish him luck and good health.

I honestly think the twitter shenanigans were a symptom of his larger problem with the addiction. As I pointed out in posts during the whole Manning dust up, if you look at some of the interviews at the time, he just didn't look right. Although some other people noted this , along with me , I was pretty much blasted for baiting and what naught, when I think the observations at the time were right on, and fair observations at the time.

That being said, I think when he beats this and gets healthy, you will no longer see the late night tweets, and a return to the more reserved Jim Irsay we saw years before that in the Polian era. He has been a good owner for Indy. I think he will still send fun tweets, but the late night rants will disappear , as will some of the bombastic comments . It was amazing through all of his personal problems, that he still ran the organization very efficiently , and the team was rebuilt , and did very well. Obviously, he had hired very good people in the Colt's organization, and his daughter has been very impressive and professional in stepping up for her father. When he gets through all of this, with his life back on track, how much more he can accomplish with the Colts. As tough as this has been for Jim, things happen for a reason , it could have been a lot worse, and he has a great opportunity to get his life back on track , and obtain even more great accomplishments.

I think he will always tweet cuz he LOVES the COLTS and the NFL. I have been a Colts fan since the days of Johnny U(greatest qb ever!) and Rossenbloom was the owner. Robert Irsay had some issues, but a lot of it was late in the Baltimore days. I didn't hear any of the bad stuff after the team got in Indy. That being said, Jim Irsay is one of the top 3 owners, and being a Colts fan, I would take him over any of the other ones. His hiring of Grigson and Pagano were awesome. Love and trust in the horseshoe.

Your first sentence has no basis in reality so I stopped reading.

It really does. He tweeted stuff before , but not a lot of the controversial or late night ones. I think a lot of things took a toll on him. I think the pressure to win, the tough break-up with Manning and Polian, his divorce , all took it's toll. He had been a pretty private and quiet owner compared to the last few years, and some of us noted it. Glad he's getting help and getting better.

It really does. He tweeted stuff before , but not a lot of the controversial or late night ones. I think a lot of things took a toll on him. I think the pressure to win, the tough break-up with Manning and Polian, his divorce , all took it's toll. He had been a pretty private and quiet owner compared to the last few years, and some of us noted it. Glad he's getting help and getting better.

I think he meant the OP not you

Your first sentence has no basis in reality so I stopped reading.

I've seen plenty of harsh criticism toward Jim Irsay here. It's not just toward him either. I swear the Colts biggest critics are *some of the fans.

I for one think he has been a good owner with a very human flaw. i will support him and pray that he gets the help he can to beat this addiction even though he will have to fight it his whole life. with help from family and friends he can win the battle. I do think after he gets out of rehab he will have to face the consequences of this but that will not top me from supporting him and the Colts. A lot of the bad things the press is writing i think dates back to his father. right now here in Md. they are going over the Colts move to Indy 30 years ago (it doesn't seem that long. how time flies) they say it still stings that they left. 

I'm tired of seeing this man dissed, and disowned by his own team's fans, so I'm going to tell you that I actually like him and believe in him.

Support your owner while you can, not that it really matters as I'm sure he has better things to worry about besides what fans think of him (if I was an owner I strictly wouldn't care what people think of me - not that I really care what people think of me anyway)

Be thankful Arthur Blank isn't your owner

Be thankful Paul Brown isn't your owner

Be thankful Jerry Jones isn't your owner

Be thankful Dan Synder isn't your owner.

Irsay isn't that bad of a guy. He seems like a cool guy anyway.

Give him some support, he is after all your owner and has done a hell of a job with this team over the years. I know a lot of people seem to hate him over Manning, but you have to move forward. Luck is the future, and I believe in Jim Irsay. The Colts will be back in the Super Bowl eventually.

While I agree with the premise of your post in that Colt's fans should be giving Irsay their support (especially now), I'm not certain why you seem to be calling out Colt's fans. 

Yes, there were those who were bitter about Manning and those who ridiculed him for his tweeting; but the overwhelming majority of the posts that I have seen regarding Irsay's arrest and addiction have been supportive and I have been very proud of my fellow Colt's fans for the love and empathy that they have given Mr. Irsay.

I for one think he has been a good owner with a very human flaw. i will support him and pray that he gets the help he can to beat this addiction even though he will have to fight it his whole life. with help from family and friends he can win the battle. I do think after he gets out of rehab he will have to face the consequences of this but that will not top me from supporting him and the Colts. A lot of the bad things the press is writing i think dates back to his father. right now here in Md. they are going over the Colts move to Indy 30 years ago (it doesn't seem that long. how time flies) they say it still stings that they left.

It is just a retrospective from a historical perspective of the 30th anniversary of the Colts leaving Baltimore, at the Sports Legends Museum. This has absolutely nothing to do with the Jim Irsay situation .

I think we all know Jim Irsay is not Bob Irsay, but those who don't know much about the family , or just see something about an Irsay with an alcohol or drug problem , just link the two men. While a predisposition to addiction may run on the family, the personalities couldn't be more different. Also, as competent as Jim as been running a team, contrasts to the incompetence of his father. The father was a good businessman, but a horrible owner.

I've seen plenty of harsh criticism toward Jim Irsay here. It's not just toward him either. I swear the Colts biggest critics are *some of the fans.

I would say the percentage of fans "disowning" Jim Irsay is quite small.

I would say the percentage of fans "disowning" Jim Irsay is quite small.

I think most fans have stated that they stand behind him. That doesn't mean that the incident was not embarrassing to both the Colts and the NFL. There is an article out that Irsay had $29,000 in cash on him and he refused to take a blood test. Addiction is a terrible thing to fight and I think everyone is rooting for him. If it happens again, I think there will be more of those fans "disowning" him.

I think most fans have stated that they stand behind him. That doesn't mean that the incident was not embarrassing to both the Colts and the NFL. There is an article out that Irsay had $29,000 in cash on him and he refused to take a blood test. Addiction is a terrible thing to fight and I think everyone is rooting for him. If it happens again, I think there will be more of those fans "disowning" him.

Yes, this was an Indy Star article. Besides having 29 grand in cash, prescription drugs, and failing to take a blood test, he was stopping in the middle of the road that night where there wasn't a stop sign. He also apparently could not find his house. He will no doubt face some serious legal hurdles before the NFL can even rule on it.

On another legal note, Ray Rice was just indicted in New Jersey for assault, so he is also in hot water.

Yes, this was an Indy Star article. Besides having 29 grand in cash, prescription drugs, and failing to take a blood test, he was stopping in the middle of the road that night where there wasn't a stop sign. He also apparently could not find his house. He will no doubt face some serious legal hurdles before the NFL can even rule on it.

On another legal note, Ray Rice was just indicted in New Jersey for assault, so he is also in hot water.

Irsay will not be facing serious legal trouble. They will plead it down to misdemeanors. He will get probation. As far as the NFL punishment, who knows.

Irsay will not be facing serious legal trouble. They will plead it down to misdemeanors. He will get probation. As far as the NFL punishment, who knows.

You are probably right. Money does talk, as do top lawyers when you have the coin to hire the best. You will have a top defense lawyer against some local , shmoakal persecutor from Carmel.

You are probably right. Money does talk, as do top lawyers when you have the coin to hire the best. You will have a top defense lawyer against some local , shmoakal persecutor from Carmel.

Joe Schmo public would get the same punishment on a first offense

Hmm, I guess they want me to be surprised someone of his stature may be carrying around that kind of cash.

Perhaps I should be more concerned for his well being once he's out of rehab, and walking the streets of Indy(?).

You're not surprised? I surely am

Who carries $29k around?! Even if I had that kind of money I wouldn't carry that around

That's highly dangerous!