Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian's Free Agent Rankings

Did anybody see this article that ESPN posted today? It's for Insiders, but here's the link for anyone who has it...http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10554647/2014-nfl-free-agency-michael-bennett-best-available-free-agents

For those of you who don't there is a couple questionable quotes regarding players he has drafted.

1) He has Bethea listed as an "A Grade" which he classifies as "$6-plus million AAV (annual average value), three-plus years in term and/or guaranteed money". Here is his quote on Antoine..."Bethea is durable and reliable. He has been a rock on the back end for the Colts and demonstrates good range in the deep zones, but he is probably best as a Cover 2 safety. He is more than adequate in the run game but isn't a knockout hitter. Age is his only negative, but it's not that big a negative."

Fair Enough. You can see the homerism here but his points can be argued. Also, paying Bethea 6Mil+ and 3 yrs of guaranteed money is questionable.

Now here is where I shook my head...

2) He has Donald Brown listed as a "B+" and defines the B range as "$2 million to $6 million AAV, two years or fewer in term and/or guaranteed money" And here is his take on Brown: "Brown has started 19 games over the past four seasons. Coming off the best season of his career, it could be argued that Brown is a No. 1 back. He has solid speed, and his power running has gotten better. Brown also has every-down capabilities." I don't see a scenario where a team is going to pay Brown 5-6Mil per yr to be their #1 RB?

Just curious to see what everyone on here thought about what Polian had to say...

Did anybody see this article that ESPN posted today? It's for Insiders, but here's the link for anyone who has it...http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10554647/2014-nfl-free-agency-michael-bennett-best-available-free-agents

For those of you who don't there is a couple questionable quotes regarding players he has drafted.

1) He has Bethea listed as an "A Grade" which he classifies as "$6-plus million AAV (annual average value), three-plus years in term and/or guaranteed money". Here is his quote on Antoine..."Bethea is durable and reliable. He has been a rock on the back end for the Colts and demonstrates good range in the deep zones, but he is probably best as a Cover 2 safety. He is more than adequate in the run game but isn't a knockout hitter. Age is his only negative, but it's not that big a negative."

Fair Enough. You can see the homerism here but his points can be argued. Also, paying Bethea 6Mil+ and 3 yrs of guaranteed money is questionable.

Now here is where I shook my head...

2) He has Donald Brown listed as a "B+" and defines the B range as "$2 million to $6 million AAV, two years or fewer in term and/or guaranteed money" And here is his take on Brown: "Brown has started 19 games over the past four seasons. Coming off the best season of his career, it could be argued that Brown is a No. 1 back. He has solid speed, and his power running has gotten better. Brown also has every-down capabilities." I don't see a scenario where a team is going to pay Brown 5-6Mil per yr to be their #1 RB?

Just curious to see what everyone on here thought about what Polian had to say...

I think he is about right. People around the rest of the NFL think more of Bethea than the Colts fans do. Brown is and has always been limited. he won't command a huge contract.

I think he is about right. People around the rest of the NFL think more of Bethea than the Colts fans do. Brown is and has always been limited. he won't command a huge contract.

I just don't see Bethea being the clear cut best safety in this FA class. Is any team really about to give a 31 year old safety 15+ Mil guaranteed for 3+ years?

I just don't see Bethea being the clear cut best safety in this FA class. Is any team really about to give a 31 year old safety 15+ Mil guaranteed for 3+ years?

I don't think he will get that much but it will be significant. I think he is better than most Colts fans believe him to be.

I don't think he will get that much but it will be significant. I think he is better than most Colts fans believe him to be.

I think he is a good player, not a great one. If you look a lot of Polian's rankings are suspect. He has Donald Brown and Rashad Jennings as the only two RB's with "B" grades and Donald Brown as being the best RB available. I don't think you'll find another GM around the league agree to that.

I think he is a good player, not a great one. If you look a lot of Polian's rankings are suspect. He has Donald Brown and Rashad Jennings as the only two RB's with "B" grades and Donald Brown as being the best RB available. I don't think you'll find another GM around the league agree to that.

I would have Moreno over both of them.

Exactly, Bethea as a cover 2.
Polian payed a converted wide receiver $9M per to play COVER 2 Corner.  Bill Bill Bill!

Donald a #1 back?
15 carries a game x 16 = 240

Would i pay Donald $5Mper expecting 240 carries? Sorry Bill, Nope! Not that I wouldn't like him back.

For those curious:

Player gradings on the Colts (not mentioned above):

Pat McAfee B

Vontae Davis B-

Pat Angerer C

Sergio Brown C

Kavell Conner C

DHB C

Jeff Likenbach C

Fili Moala C

Cassius Vaughn C

Adam Vinatieri C

Aubrayo Franklin C-

Ahmad Bradsahw D

Deion Branch D

Matthew Hasselbeck (Not even a FA LOL) D

Mike McGlynn D

For those curious:

Player gradings on the Colts (not mentioned above):

Pat McAfee B

Vontae Davis B-

Pat Angerer C

Sergio Brown C

Kavell Conner C

DHB C

Jeff Likenbach C

Fili Moala C

Cassius Vaughn C

Adam Vinatieri C

Aubrayo Franklin C-

Ahmad Bradsahw D

Deion Branch D

Matthew Hasselbeck (Not even a FA LOL) D

Mike McGlynn D

Hasselbeck lulz

He's more valuable somewhere else. Landry is stuck because of his contract and they don't fit with one another.

I am not an Insider, but his opinion on Michael Bennett is laughable. 

'He is a little limited as a run-stopper because of strength and is more of a situational player, but a good one.'

^^^^Michael Bennett is one of the best run-stopping DEs in the game. He is far from limited, and far from a situational player.

Bethea is a real good player.......he is 29 not 31, he is actually highly sought after and will get a deal we should not compete with.  I love Bethea ball need more of a ball hawking safety.  We already have a hard hitting Landry which I think will have a better year this year.  Bethea has been pretty consistent 14 ints in 8 years, 800+ tackles etc....Polian speaks highly of him because he drafted him.  As a GM now, you would be paying a premium price for someone who has lost a step.  NFL stands for Not For Long and it is a business and what have you done for me lately.  If he would take a reasonable contract I would love for him to stay, seeing how he has not had a real big payday this may be his last chance and will probably do so.  Bears are really interested I heard, hate to see him go but excited to see the future......

Landry's contract has him playing this year....Letting him go does not create enough cap room, he will get another chance, I hope he proves his worth.  If not he may be let go following next year.

releasing him in 2015 would cost $3.5 mill.........Highly he will get released before his contract is up

releasing him in 2015 would cost $3.5 mill.........Highly he will get released before his contract is up

No it doesn't, it free's up 2.25 million in cap space. Releasing him this year only adds .5 million.

I think Bill showed tremendous favoritism toward guys HE drafted!

In another post of his out yesterday, he listed more than a dozen of his rules for successfully navigating free agency.

Then, I think he violated both of them in his reviews of both Bethea and Brown. 

Honestly, it seemed like he was giving himself a pat on the back.....

I've defended Polian here in countless posts....   but frankly, I was underwhelmed with his comments on those two Colts players.