Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What moves can Colts make to ensure a Super Bowl?

jshipp23

I'VE given my opinion on this topic; juzt curious to see other's opinions on what we should do given we have around 40 million to spend now that the cap has been raised....Go all in now for a 2 year run?? Or be more frugal and try to win with less firepower given we will have to extend Luck, Hilton, Ballard, Allen, Costanzo, and Fleenor in a few years..I'm for going for it now and dealing wirh salary cap repeucussions later personally...Super Bowls are hard to come by, and we're REAL close..

I'VE given my opinion on this topic; juzt curious to see other's opinions on what we should do given we have around 40 million to spend now that the cap has been raised....Go all in now for a 2 year run?? Or be more frugal and try to win with less firepower given we will have to extend Luck, Hilton, Ballard, Allen, Costanzo, and Fleenor in a few years..I'm for going for it now and dealing wirh salary cap repeucussions later personally...Super Bowls are hard to come by, and we're REAL clos

Offensive New Free agents.. C, RG,      Build continuity on the offensive line

2014 WR: Wayne, Hilton, Rogers, Brazill, Whalen 

Allen being back will be a huge boost and take pressure off Luck in passing and running sets

Defensive Free Agents: SS, RDE, ILB

Resign Davis, Draft for CB depth

Hughes and Chapman at DT will be just fine

Nothing will guarentee us a Super Bowl but we have to start building a defense if we want to get there.  Look at the teams that have great D's and what they are capable of doing.  More times than not the teams with the great D's end up Super Bowl Champs.  The one time our defense stepped up in the playoffs we won our Super Bowl.  It's all about the D, you can have the greatest QB ever but not gonna win championships when you give up 40 points in playoff games.

On offense I truly 100% believe we are in great shape as is!!  Getting Wayne back, Allen, and Ballard, and we are going to have Fleener and TY out their as well!  What we need to do is start building up that offensive line, Luck is under diress to much and that needs to be addressed.  Maybe a pick up or two at the skill positions on offense, but it's really not needed.

DEFENSE is what we need to draft and start building up!!  If we can build a good D forget it, we will be a force.  Colts need to stop being stubborn and putting all eggs in one basket on offense, its been like this forever!  We have a great offense, now its time for D!!!

I'VE given my opinion on this topic; juzt curious to see other's opinions on what we should do given we have around 40 million to spend now that the cap has been raised....Go all in now for a 2 year run?? Or be more frugal and try to win with less firepower given we will have to extend Luck, Hilton, Ballard, Allen, Costanzo, and Fleenor in a few years..I'm for going for it now and dealing wirh salary cap repeucussions later personally...Super Bowls are hard to come by, and we're REAL close..

Not only are we not REAL close, as you put it....    I don't even think we're close -- period.    We have a lot of work to do.

There's no reason to screw up the salary cap for the team for years just to satisfy your fans wish for pleasure right now...  a wish that would likely go unrealized.   

So,  no pay off in the short run followed by several years of restructuring to get out from salary cap Heck.....   yup, that sure sounds like a recipe cooked up by JShipp!!  

Welcome back!!    You're in mid-season form and it's not even March!!    :thmup:       :disco:        :td:

People underestimate & overlook the talent on offense. We're a C & maybe a G opposite Donald Thomas & being healthy from a dominate offense. 2 headed TE monster, Reggie Wayne; Ty "Roadrunner" Hilton, Andrew Luck I mean it goes on & on

All we need is a defense that can give offense those "extra" possessions by forcing turnovers &/or 3 & outs

I don't think any move insures a Super Bowl. It takes a lot of good fortune just to get there. I guess I don't see the Colts being as close as you do but if we get everyone back and they stay healthy then it is possible. The Colts are a mortal lock to win the division this year and probably next year. So, I would also go all in with short term contracts so that you can deal with extending the players you mention. It just doesn't seem to me that Super Bowl teams get built around free agents.

Look we don't have the picks to only build through the draft and we are CLOSE.

Last year I kept saying take Lacy or Bernard, then we'd have our 1st this year and not have this problem..

We got Werner I'm ok with it he can be a solid pro, but Grigson needs to listen to me this year..Even if you continually hit in the draft you still won't be able to afford to resign everyone ad Seattle and San Francisco will find out soon...Colts need 2 or 3 IMPACT guys at C, S, IlB, and maybe CB or G and we will be right there this year...It is easily accomplished if we sign and draft right this offseason...

Not only are we not REAL close, as you put it....    I don't even think we're close -- period.    We have a lot of work to do.

There's no reason to screw up the salary cap for the team for years just to satisfy your fans wish for pleasure right now...  a wish that would likely go unrealized.   

So,  no pay off in the short run followed by several years of restructuring to get out from salary cap Heck.....   yup, that sure sounds like a recipe cooked up by JShipp!!  

Welcome back!!    You're in mid-season form and it's not even March!!    :thmup:       :disco:        :td:

I love your perspectives - you are one of the people I read everytime I can.  Sometimes people will look at the same data and reach very different conclusions.  I reach the same conclusion you do about sticking firmly to great long term team building principles rather than going into a win now mode.  

However, I reach a very different conclusion than you do about how close we are to winning a Superbowl.  We were one of the final 4 teams in the AFC, and have a QB with a knack for winning close games.  We had the ball in the 4th Q against the Pats with momentum and a chance to take the lead.  Not sure how you define close, but to me that's close to being in the AFC Championship game and challenging for the Superbowl against 2 teams that we beat during the regular season.  We are a team, as is, that matches up with Seattle much better than the Bronchos do....but since Seattle isn't necessarily playing in the Superbowl next year, that isn't really the point.

The recipe to ensure a superbowl:

1. Replace Pagano with Belichick

2. Replace rest of coordinators w/ Belichick's choice.

3. Sign AJ Green, Megatron, Jimmy Graham,

4. Sign Percy Harvin to Return Kicks

5. Sign the Seahawks Defense, and keep Mathis and Davis

6. Sign the Patriots offensive line (Healthy)

7. Sign Adrian Petrerson.

8. SIgn the 2nd best position player for every position as a backup.

1st priority is obviously interrior O-line we need to upgrade from satele and a better RG

2nd we must get Robert Mathis help on the opposite side we need another Pass rusher Walden is good in the run game but can't rush the passer werner is young and needs time to develop  get a proven vet that can give u 8-10 sacks and play on pass down situations 

3rd resign vontae davis and get someone opposite of him im not saying sign a big name free agent lets get someone in the draft like Stanley Jean-Baptiste could get him late second if he's still available 

after these moves we should still have a lot of money to play with since most of our core are still playing on their rookie contracts we should be in the running for the superbowl for these next 3 years at least 

People underestimate & overlook the talent on offense. We're a C & maybe a G opposite Donald Thomas & being healthy from a dominate offense. 2 headed TE monster, Reggie Wayne; Ty "Roadrunner" Hilton, Andrew Luck I mean it goes on & on

All we need is a defense that can give offense those "extra" possessions by forcing turnovers &/or 3 & outs

Assuming the injured come back healthy and the healthy stay that way, I totally agree. I've been on the "go all in for a C and G" bandwagon all season. C is a no brainier, G is needed for depth at a minimum because we really don't know what Thomas can do.

If we have a dominant offense, the burden on the D will be lessened.

I think we should only go for a star center like Mack this offseason. Save the rest of the money for next offseason, much better players in Free Agency next year like : A.J. Green(WR), Brandon Marshall(WR), Von Miller(LB), Frank Gore(RB), Terrance Knighton(DT), Cameron Jordan(DE).

We don't need anymore RB's especially not Frank Gore

And he'll probably retire a 49er. They'll keep him & let him coach Marcus Lattimore until he's ready to takeover

Again, I am amazed at some of the comments.  Coaching staff?  So is Chuck Pagano out there getting beat by every 0, 1, and 2 gap DLineman in the league?  THEY CAN'T BLOCK!!!  McGlynn is a high effort guy who simply lacks the ability to win his battles most of the time.  Satele is not a run blocker.  I don't know where you guys get on the criticism of the coach??  How do we know that it is not Irsays MANDATE to run the ball and stop the run???  After all, before he hired Grigson or Pagano, that was his dream.   So you keep assuming that Hamilton and Pagano just intentionally do things that don't work just to pull a power play.  I have a hard time believing they are that backwards.

I think the Colts are close, contrary to what some of your think.  Sure, we were not competitive with the Patriots.  I know people will jump on the defense for the collapse at the end, but we were within 8 I believe, had 3 stops of the Patriots, and did NOTHING offensively.  Do you think with Wayne, Allen, and Thomas back that might change?  With a better O-Line and Richardson running well?  I think you have the Colts two more O-lineman, another pass rusher, and a DLineman who can collapse the pocket, we are a real threat to anyone.  I think we showed that against SF, Seattle, and Denver.

Nothing will ensure a SB...I was all but sure Denver would win it and look what happened...everyone is quick to act like Denver was a terrible team after the bowl but leading into it...they were favorites. Injuries and player progression is impossible to know....poor coaching decisions...anything could happen...however for the best chance at a SB....sure up the interior line and I think we will still need another wr (doesn't have to be elite but dependable). Strengthen the middle of our defense (nt/ilb/s) and I still think we are a pass rusher away. Above all...stay healthy lol...but that should put us in contention. Anything could happen but I wouldn't put us a favorite without addressing most of those concerns.

I would be all in for the next two years. There are 4 key areas we need to upgrade in FA , FS,CB,DE,C. I would love to see us pick up Byrd,Hardy,Davis, and Mack, I would even look at getting a guy like Verner or Grimes across from Davis. I'd cut Toler he cant help us win the SB if you he can't stay healthy maybe even pick up a guy like MJD to a cheap contract or one year deal but the key to the 2014 offseason is this years draft. If I were GM I would make 3 trades in this years draft by trading away my 2015 1st,2nd and 3rd maybe even 4th round pick to pick up a 2014 draft pick in the 2nd ,3rd and 4th round this year which would give us 2 2nd rd pick 2 3rd round picks and 2 4th round picks and a 6th which would be 7 picks and taking a good look at the latest mock draft although they are subject to change we could pick up some really good players at areas of need but I'm just wishing..