Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Posted · Hidden by Superman, February 10, 2014 - off topic
Hidden by Superman, February 10, 2014 - off topic

he would be against him as a player and person

If you understood what a Christian believes you would know you are wrong about this. We, as Christians, love the person first and foremost, period. God is the judge of a person's life not man. We may not agree with how a person lives their life, but that is not ours to judge. We love and support the person.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's a worthwhile mid-round look for the Colts. I think he projects well enough as an edge rusher from either position to be worth a mid-round pick.

The gay thing? I think it'll be a significant milestone and a big deal for a very short period of time. Namely, I think it'll be something at the Combine, the Draft, and then from preseason until a few games into the season. After that, it will depend on the locker room around him. 

Personally, I think the Colts have the right kind of staff and personnel to welcome a guy like Sam in. With leaders like Luck and Redding on both sides and a coach who is just so well respected and respectful as Pagano is, I really don't think Sam's sexual orientation would be a big deal for very long around here. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But I think the Colts and a few other teams are prime locations for Sam to end up, purely on the level of acceptance. I think he makes a lot of sense elsewhere, I just wonder about how a few other teams are run.

I think that totally depends on how he handles it.     Will be flaunt it?  Or will he just go "no comment" from here on out?  IMO, why would he state the fact if it is not public knowledge?    His sex life is HIS sex life.   Why make a scene of it?

NO organization will want to be the poster child for "gay rights" ...  or acceptance.   They just wont... 

This will be very interesting to see how it unfolds.

kurt_like_boys_gif_by_maricuchi123-d5hnb

Youre kidding right?

Man I'm tired of people trying to pick fights over race or sexuality or religion or whatever.. His sexuality has to do with the fact that he's going to be the first openly gay NFL player and we will have the oppurtunity to pick him.

Wasn't trying to pick a fight. I'm just disappointed that his sexuality can determine/affect his draft spot

Is the world really that shallow/close minded?

For whatever it's worth....

Sam came out to his entire Missouri team in August.   Players and coaches.

And no one cared.    They were all very supportive.

So...   there maybe more progress out there than we all know....   hopefully!

I agree with the NFL insiders that say it would take the right team, and I'm very pleased -- but not at all surprised -- that Indianapolis was listed among the teams that could tackle such an issue.

With the wrong team -- this could be a problem.

But with the right team.    This could amount to almost nothing.  

Let's all hope so for the kid's sake.   Very courageous move by the young man.   We should all wish him the best.

I agree with the NFL insiders that say it would take the right team, and I'm very pleased -- but not at all surprised -- that Indianapolis was listed among the teams that could tackle such an issue.

Let's all hope so for the kid's sake.   Very courageous move by the young man.   We should all wish him the best.

I couldnt have said it any better. Hope he has an amazing career and is remembered for his exploits on the field not what his sexuality is.

We just drafted Bjoern Werner last year, and Micheal sam is undersized for a DE or DT.

Well, Sam would be an OLB in our system, and he has almost the same height/weight as Bjoern.  Could certainly be worth a look, since Mathis is getting older and Walden is only OK.  Sam is a good pass rusher.

I don't know if he's a position of need at the moment.  On the other hand if this sort of thing causes him to fall to the 4th or 5th round, how can you not take him?

Here is I think the thing you have to worry about if drafting an openly gay player.  And that question really is if the team leaders will accept him.  Wayne and Luck have both said that they don't have a problem with a gay player.  I think the only other people you need to worry about here is maybe Mathis and Redding.  If those guys are cool with it then I don't think it will be a problem.

Some people might feel uncomfortable, but at the same time if they are not a star type of player they will probably keep their mouth shut because they want to keep their jobs.  

That having been said I think the bigger worry for us will be the media distraction.  There is no telling how long the media circus surrounding it will go on.  I mean is this just gonna be something that the media is gonna be all over for a week and then they move on to other things and just let the Colts play football?  Or is this something they are gonna be on for the entire season or for several seasons straight.

The media if you ask me is the biggest X factor here.  

I mostly agree with you but here is the thing I'm concerned about.  Sam came out to his team that he'd been with for several years in August.

So they all knew this guy for a while before he came out to them.  

That is a somewhat different situation then him coming into a locker room full of guys he doesn't know with everyone knowing he's gay.  

And on top of that it sounds like they kept him being gay in house at Mizzou.  That is of course a different situation from the entire world knowing about it.  

As I said in my previous post, the media is the X factor here.  If this is only a story for a week or 2 after training camp starts then it's no problem.  However if the media is gonna follow this kid around for an entire season or several seasons then there is a huge problem.

You don't want an individual player to become a bigger story then the team.

I mostly agree with you but here is the thing I'm concerned about.  Sam came out to his team that he'd been with for several years in August.

So they all knew this guy for a while before he came out to them.  

That is a somewhat different situation then him coming into a locker room full of guys he doesn't know with everyone knowing he's gay.  

And on top of that it sounds like they kept him being gay in house at Mizzou.  That is of course a different situation from the entire world knowing about it.  

As I said in my previous post, the media is the X factor here.  If this is only a story for a week or 2 after training camp starts then it's no problem.  However if the media is gonna follow this kid around for an entire season or several seasons then there is a huge problem.

They kept it in house because its his decision to make.

Anyway, I don't think media attention is a huge problem if he can contribute. 

They kept it in house because its his decision to make.

Anyway, I don't think media attention is a huge problem if he can contribute. 

It depends on how much media attention.  If this guy receives Tebow levels of media attention for his entire career to where he is a bigger deal then the team in the media's eyes then it's gonna be a problem.

I maintain that Tebow could have landed a backup job someplace if the media didn't make the backup quarterback a bigger story then the team itself.  But the circus that followed him made him not worth it.  Tebow never really seemed to ASK for the media to follow him around like a deranged fan, but that's what he got.  

Hopefully Sam is more talented then Tebow was.  But if the media makes a big deal out of him for too long they could destroy his career.  

I really don't know how the media is going to handle this.  I'd love to get him as a steal in the late rounds with the hopes that the media will pack it up and move on to other things after a couple weeks of training camp.  But I'm worried for him that the media could destroy his career.

haha. Welcome to the Colts Sam (hopefully). But it's clear a lot of teams will pass on him. Luckily we have a classy organization that would welcome him with open arms. I think it was Chris Culliver who said on Twitter, that he'd love to see Sam go to his favorite team; the Colts. Not sure where he would play though. OLB seems most likely. Is there any other position he could play in our scheme? 3-4 DE?

It depends on how much media attention.  If this guy receives Tebow levels of media attention for his entire career to where he is a bigger deal then the team in the media's eyes then it's gonna be a problem.

I maintain that Tebow could have landed a backup job someplace if the media didn't make the backup quarterback a bigger story then the team itself.  But the circus that followed him made him not worth it.  Tebow never really seemed to ASK for the media to follow him around like a deranged fan, but that's what he got.  

Hopefully Sam is more talented then Tebow was.  But if the media makes a big deal out of him for too long they could destroy his career.  

I really don't know how the media is going to handle this.  I'd love to get him as a steal in the late rounds with the hopes that the media will pack it up and move on to other things after a couple weeks of training camp.  But I'm worried for him that the media could destroy his career.

The problem with Tebow is that we already know he's no more than a backup in the NFL.  Additionally, he plays at a position where if the backup sees more than a handful of snaps, something has gone terribly wrong.  Which means that media attention would be about a guy who isn't meaningfully contributing anyway.  Additionally, if you have a young QB you believe in, you wouldn't want to sign Tebow, because of the likelihood that if your starter has a rough patch, Tebow's rather voracious following would be demanding he get to start.

A pass rusher, like Sam, is pretty much the polar opposite.  Aside from, say, a scat back, it's the role where a guy who is, strictly speaking, a "backup", tends to make the most meaningful contribution to the team.

I think people are fooling themselves if they believe the Colts locker room is that much different than any other teams.

I know people like to believe we have such a classy organization and this wouldn't be a problem at all, but the truth is there would be players that had a serious problem with this.

Some wouldn't care but many would and wouldn't want to have to answer the constant questions about it from the media and yes, the media will beat this to death for yrs. to every player on the team.

Michael Sam announced that he is openly gay. Do you guys think he'll  be available when we get around to picking?

This kid was a beast in college

Most likely this will cost the kid a lot of $$ as his draft stock will likely (fair or unfair) plumett...the media will beat this to death im sure. .... the combine will become a media circus as well.... I hope everything works out for him.

The first time the kid crushes a QB on a sack, or hits a back so hard he fumbles, the issue will become almost moot. IF he can play ball at a high level and contribute, his teammates and others will respect him as a player, which is how it should be. There are still going to be some jerks that want to start trouble, you'll find that everywhere, even if the player is not gay, or whatever. I'm sure there are players on every team who dislike other players on their team, but as long as they produce and win, they won't care. All they worry about is winning and getting a ring. I'm sure if there was a team with 20 gay players that wins a Super Bowl, I can bet you that no on on that team will care.

Wow, society is truly sad

There are many ignorant people out there and I am sure there will be some ignorant people in the locker room of whatever team he is drafted too.

I am sure the Colts would have a few of them as well.

I just hope that if he nails his workouts and interviews that his sexuality and how fans/teammates may react does not hurt his draft stock.

There are many ignorant people out there and I am sure there will be some ignorant people in the locker room of whatever team he is drafted too.

I am sure the Colts would have a few of them as well.

I just hope that if he nails his workouts and interviews that his sexuality and how fans/teammates may react does not hurt his draft stock.

If the kid can hit, rush the QB, and stuff the run.....insert Metallica...."Nothing else Matters."

If the kid can hit, rush the QB, and stuff the run.....insert Metallica...."Nothing else Matters."

Sadly, to some people it does matter.  There are many ignorant people out there and I can see some GMs shying away from drafting to avoid that small but vocal group.  Look at what Chris Culliver said about gay players not welcome. I am sure he is not the only one who thinks that in the NFL  and I am sure there will be some fans who share the same views.

I am sure there will be a few GMs who pass, but there will be a GM who has a stronger owner and they will take him and hopefully does well.

Sadly, to some people it does matter.  There are many ignorant people out there and I can see some GMs shying away from drafting to avoid that small but vocal group.

Others may not draft him simply to avoid the drama. Look at Tim Tebow and Terrell Owens. I think we can agree both have more to offer than than some current 2nd-3rd string backups, yet teams don't want the baggage that comes with them.

It was bold of him to come out long BEFORE the draft..

He's telling the entire NFL...'This is what I am and I'm comfortable with it...

Check yourselves and get back to me if you can use me'

He could have waited until AFTER he was drafted..but that would have been blindsiding the team involved..

Players will have religious objections to him but ...at work....they can/should be asked to shut up about it

Hopefully that's the end result of all this.

I agree that it should be a non-issue, but the people complaining about this story on that basis are kinda ignoring that, the fact is, we've never had a gay NFL player who did not feel compelled, for one reason or another, to keep it a secret.  Maybe not from friends, and rumors can get around, but the point is, you can't just jump from a state of complete denial to one where it legitimately doesn't make a difference and thus is a non-story without an intermediate period where a player announcing, basically, "I'm gay, so deal with it" is a story.

So for people complaining about this being a story - that's the POINT.  This is a story so that the NEXT time a guy does this it WON'T be a story.  It's a big deal, because it will result in it NOT being a big deal for others in the future.  I mean, there was only one Jackie Robinson.  That he was a black baseball player mattered, and the most important way it mattered was that it made the race of other players after him NOT matter.  That's the point of this, too.

The problem with Tebow is that we already know he's no more than a backup in the NFL.  Additionally, he plays at a position where if the backup sees more than a handful of snaps, something has gone terribly wrong.  Which means that media attention would be about a guy who isn't meaningfully contributing anyway.  Additionally, if you have a young QB you believe in, you wouldn't want to sign Tebow, because of the likelihood that if your starter has a rough patch, Tebow's rather voracious following would be demanding he get to start.

A pass rusher, like Sam, is pretty much the polar opposite.  Aside from, say, a scat back, it's the role where a guy who is, strictly speaking, a "backup", tends to make the most meaningful contribution to the team.

I would agree, but any backup player isn't gonna be worth it if the media makes him a bigger deal then the team.  

I'm hoping that maybe he can fall to us in the late rounds and we can get a steal because if he's not the victim of major homophobia in the locker room or on the field then the media will likely pack it up and find something else to report about after a couple of weeks.  

But the potential for a media circus does bother me. 

Sadly, to some people it does matter.  There are many ignorant people out there and I can see some GMs shying away from drafting to avoid that small but vocal group.  Look at what Chris Culliver said about gay players not welcome. I am sure he is not the only one who thinks that in the NFL  and I am sure there will be some fans who share the same views.

I am sure there will be a few GMs who pass, but there will be a GM who has a stronger owner and they will take him and hopefully does well.

I agree...some will.  I like Sam...would not mind the selection myself.  

I think people are fooling themselves if they believe the Colts locker room is that much different than any other teams.

I know people like to believe we have such a classy organization and this wouldn't be a problem at all, but the truth is there would be players that had a serious problem with this.

Some wouldn't care but many would and wouldn't want to have to answer the constant questions about it from the media and yes, the media will beat this to death for yrs. to every player on the team.

Stop being honest.