Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

richard sherman at it again

kjyb

Richard Sherman: NFC Championship was Super Bowl

Richard Sherman has no love for the rival 49ers, but he does respect them.

It's likely little consolation to the 49ers, but the Seattle Seahawks star believes the now infamous playoff game against the Niners was the true decider of NFL supremacy.

"The NFC Championship was the Super Bowl," Sherman told The MMQB.com's Robert Klemko on Monday. "The 49ers were the second-best team in the NFL."

In light of Sunday's laugher over the Broncos, Sherman has a point. The NFC title game was a *-for-tat matchup that came down to the final playColin Kaepernick shined in a great performance that dwarfed what Peyton Manning was able to accomplish Sunday night, and did it on the road. And unlike the 49ers, the Broncos seemed intimidated by the Seahawks on the gameâs biggest stage.

Luckily, we'll get to see the Seahawks and 49ers renew their rivalry with two more scintillating matchups in 2014.

nfc championship will go down as one of the greatest games ever. last night's super bowl would be the greatest boring super bowl in nfl history (unless you enjoy blow outs, stout defense, and peyton getting the tar beat out of him). that game was a blood bath. this was my little pony meeting godzilla

This was sort of like the 1980s and early 1990s. In those days the conference championship games were definitely more competitive than the Super Bowls. 49ers, Giants, Cowboys, etc-etc... then the AFC would decide which sacrificial lamb it would send to the game!

The entire AFC doesn't have this kind of muscle, speed, and mentality. Colts may be the closest before too many injuries so they managed to beat both of them as well as Broncos. Next year will be interesting as Manning will have a chance to meet the entire NFC west.

This was sort of like the 1980s and early 1990s. In those days the conference championship games were definitely more competitive than the Super Bowls. 49ers, Giants, Cowboys, etc-etc... then the AFC would decide which sacrificial lamb it would send to the game!

I am not ruling Manning out yet. Next year when he plays NFC west he will have possessed experience on their toughness and I bet Broncos will learn a lot from the lost game.

Again the score was humiliating but the gap may be smaller than expected.

I am not ruling Manning out yet. Next year when he plays NFC west he will have possessed experience on their toughness and I bet Broncos will learn a lot from the lost game.

I don't know man, I thought the "gap" you speak of was pretty darn wide.  ;)

A team like Denver, as they're currently built, is probably not going to win out over a team like Seattle or San Francisco. Just my opinion anyway. The high-flying offenses almost always get grounded one way or another. 

A team like Denver, as they're currently built, is probably not going to win out over a team like Seattle or San Francisco. Just my opinion anyway. The high-flying offenses almost always get grounded one way or another. 

Denver has what looks like the toughest schedule in the league next year, maybe one of the tougher schedules ever.

If they can win the division despite that schedule it may toughen them up enough to make a run.

Denver just didn't show up...happens a lot in SBs but usually at some point the momentum shifts and a team will make some type of comeback....but Denver shot themselves in the foot all game long. If they played 10 times I think Denver could win 4 or 5 times...but this was a perfect game by Seattle...they faced no adversity...had even a few things went differently we would have saw a closer game...but fact was they played a great game and outplayed everyone on Denvers team and it wasnt close. I do think the margin isn't as big as what happened....Denver isn't that bad...people act like they were second class team...they played like Jacksonville or someone last night...but most Sunday's that isn't the case. They didn't show up for the big stage and didn't match the intensity. I do think it will help them playing that division next year....to match the intensity and physicallity...remember Peyton is like 7-0 or something facing a team that he lost to previously...not saying they will win but when you step up in competition...its easier if you've seen it before to match it. To say Denver was soo poor is to say all the AFC is terrible...and it just isn't the case.

Denver has what looks like the toughest schedule in the league next year, maybe one of the tougher schedules ever.

If they can win the division despite that schedule it may toughen them up enough to make a run.

Maybe, but a harder schedule could mean a lower seed too, and if they weren't #1 in the AFC do you think they would have made the Super Bowl at all? I kind of don't feel that way... not a criticism, any team is going to prefer playing at home. 

I couldn't agree more with him. The 49ers would have whipped Denver too. The NFC Championship was the real Super Bowl. Denver had not seen anything like this all year long and had no idea what they were coming up against. They figured they already won it with the stats and records all year long. Seattle wanted it more, and I truly believe the Saints and 49ers both would have crushed them.

Did you see Denver's defense last night? They were pretty bad all year long. Keapernick probably would have done damage on them and I know for sure Brees would have lit them up.

Next year we will see just how great Denver is when they go up against the NFC West and all the tough defenses there. They did not play one top 5 defense all season long. The Chiefs don't count cause everyone knows how bad they were when they played good teams (and struggled to barely get past their cupcakes).

Denver just didn't show up...happens a lot in SBs but usually at some point the momentum shifts and a team will make some type of comeback....but Denver shot themselves in the foot all game long. If they played 10 times I think Denver could win 4 or 5 times...but this was a perfect game by Seattle...they faced no adversity...had even a few things went differently we would have saw a closer game...but fact was they played a great game and outplayed everyone on Denvers team and it wasnt close. I do think the margin isn't as big as what happened....Denver isn't that bad...people act like they were second class team...they played like Jacksonville or someone last night...but most Sunday's that isn't the case. They didn't show up for the big stage and didn't match the intensity. I do think it will help them playing that division next year....to match the intensity and physicallity...remember Peyton is like 7-0 or something facing a team that he lost to previously...not saying they will win but when you step up in competition...its easier if you've seen it before to match it. To say Denver was soo poor is to say all the AFC is terrible...and it just isn't the case.

Well the AFC is pretty weak when you compare it to the NFC.

Denver had not faced a real defense all year long and they were slaughtered last night.

They were also one dimensional going into that game since they didn't like running the ball so they could run up the stats all year long. That came back hard on them.

The AFC is pretty weak when you compare it to the NFC. Sure the offenses look sexy when Brady and Manning run the stats up high, but ultimately no one has a real defense in that conference. Meanwhile in the NFC, you have 3 solid teams with a great defense, and then some of the lesser ones have improved drastically.

Denver's defense was one of the worst all season long even with their schedule. It wouldn't have mattered had they got Seattle, they would have struggled against some of the other great NFC team too.

He's more than likely correct. Last night was just one game, but the NFC was the stronger conference this year and I'm pretty sure it wasn't all that close. 

Especially that West Division. Arguably the most powerful in football this year.

But yeah I had the same sort of feeling about the NFC Championship Game this year as people had about the AFC Championship Game in 2006. Both games were arguably "the Super Bowl".

I don't know, but Colts blew SF out at SF and beat Seattle at home, and Pats blew out Colts, while Pats then got blown out by Denver just one week later. The disparity between NFL teams is smaller than it looks like, sometimes it is about match up, sometimes it is about game flows. And there are always injury issues. Any given Sunday.

Looks like Denver will play Seattle to open the season. Will be a long preparation.

He isn't wrong. That was the real Super Bowl. And Pats vs. Broncos was actually a pretty terribly boring game to watch considering the massive hype.

NE lost too many key guys and losing Gronk was the nail in the coffin. If NE had more in the passing game I think they would have been there vs. Seattle but probably lost in a closer game.

The Colts were a pesky underdog all year who peaked too soon when they played a front loaded early schedule till November and losing Wayne was our contending nail in the coffin.

People think the AFC West is the best division in football but that's hog wash. It was the NFC West and we know this well too since we had to battle them last year. Even the two non playoff teams in that division kicked our butts all over the field.

The AFC West had Denver, a SD team that squeaked in by miracles and a KC team who showed major improvements all season but who could not even win in Indy when up 38-10 LOL.

Seems there has been a shift of power favoring the NFC. The AFC had a good run, winning 8 out of 10 Superbowls starting with Denver's back-to-back wins int he late nineties.  Since then, the NFC has won the last 4 out of 6.

Hard to believe the NFC had won 13 in a row and 15 out of 16 spanning the mid-80's to late 90's.

I mean don't get me wrong, Seattle is a great team but now all of a sudden everyone seems "astonished" on how badly Denver played so it must mean Seattle is this unbeatable force.

Uh...yeah they can be beaten. Saints/SF gave them tough games in the playoffs. Seattle lost three games in the regular season and came few to losing a few more. I think the NFC IS the better conference though by far. And Denver made the AFC look like CRAP...and soft but I don't believe we are all this bad.

I think motivation can play a part too. People acted like all the Broncos had to do was show up and get the win. Seattle heard for two weeks how Peyton was headed to GOAT land if he won the game. They got little respect outside a few and I am not even sure Wilson had his name brought up much. Seattle had another idea in mind.....they wanted to destroy this so called best offense ever and win the title themselves. When we played Denver we heard a lot of the same, that Manning was going to get his revenge all over the Colts etc. etc. And it didn't happen, our D showed up for a few licks on him.

Denver is not physical either, they will struggle with the SF/Seattle type of teams. They want their offense to dictate the game every week and not the other way around and when it goes against them they can have trouble since there is no plan B.

As someone who was especially critical of Sherman after his childish tirade and non-apology apology against Michael Crabtree..

...I like the way he conducted himself the Super weeks...finally .trying to deflect attention to his teammates

....and he was very complimentary of Peyton manning after the loss when he didnt have to be..

..I cant argue that SF is the 2nd best team..what else would Seattle think considering they whipped Denver twice?

Dang I wish I was a glass totally full kinda guy like you 

History is not kind to SB losers. I think Manning will be fine but not sure about his team. Last year they knew they should have beaten the Ravens but this year it was a beat down. Right now the Seattle and Niners are a lot better than any team in the AFC. But I am interested to see how this off-season goes as the Pats will get healthy and could add another weapon for Brady and the Broncs will have a ton of FAs so will have to see how they re-tool. And of course the Hawks are going to have to sign some of their young guys to bigger contracts. Will be interested to see what the Colts do too as I don't think they are that far from giving the Broncos and Pats a run for their money.

I couldn't agree more with him. The 49ers would have whipped Denver too. The NFC Championship was the real Super Bowl. Denver had not seen anything like this all year long and had no idea what they were coming up against. They figured they already won it with the stats and records all year long. Seattle wanted it more, and I truly believe the Saints and 49ers both would have crushed them.

Did you see Denver's defense last night? They were pretty bad all year long. Keapernick probably would have done damage on them and I know for sure Brees would have lit them up.

Next year we will see just how great Denver is when they go up against the NFC West and all the tough defenses there. They did not play one top 5 defense all season long. The Chiefs don't count cause everyone knows how bad they were when they played good teams (and struggled to barely get past their cupcakes).

Cant do that Bogie

KC was undefeated an No.1 in the NFL in defense when Denver faced them....and beat them twice

You can say Seattle's 'D' is better than KC but you cant honestly say Denver didn't face any good defenses

He isn't wrong. That was the real Super Bowl. And Pats vs. Broncos was actually a pretty terribly boring game to watch considering the massive hype.

NE lost too many key guys and losing Gronk was the nail in the coffin. If NE had more in the passing game I think they would have been there vs. Seattle but probably lost in a closer game.

The Colts were a pesky underdog all year who peaked too soon when they played a front loaded early schedule till November and losing Wayne was our contending nail in the coffin.

People think the AFC West is the best division in football but that's hog wash. It was the NFC West and we know this well too since we had to battle them last year. Even the two non playoff teams in that division kicked our butts all over the field.

The AFC West had Denver, a SD team that squeaked in by miracles and a KC team who showed major improvements all season but who could not even win in Indy when up 38-10 LOL.

Good stuff Jules. 

I've also been saying, since the loss to Denver, that the crossroads in the Patriots' season was the loss to Miami. Denver had lost to the Chargers on that prior Thursday and New England had a chance to grab the top seed. Golden opportunity, and they blew it. Had the Broncos been forced to travel to NE for the AFCCG, I think the Patriots would have had a much better shot. They also would have avoided playing the Broncos in the spring-like conditions in Denver that day. 

Cant do that Bogie

KC was undefeated an No.1 in the NFL in defense when Denver faced them....and beat them twice

You can say Seattle's 'D' is better than KC but you cant honestly say Denver didn't face any good defenses

KC's defense WASN'T good regardless of what their stats said. They played, I think, 3 starting QB's in the first 11 or 12 weeks. Its of no coincidence that they struggled or lost when playing teams with their starting QB's. Dallas was the only team they beat with a starting QB.

That defense was overrated.

KC's defense WASN'T good regardless of what their stats said. They played, I think, 3 starting QB's in the first 11 or 12 weeks. Its of no coincidence that they struggled or lost when playing teams with their starting QB's. Dallas was the only team they beat with a starting QB.

That defense was overrated.

To a point yes but they have some studs at every level on that defense, The problem in KC is whos behind Center regardless of the fact that Smith put on air show against us....well that and a lack of weapons

To a point yes but they have some studs at every level on that defense, The problem in KC is whos behind Center regardless of the fact that Smith put on air show against us....well that and a lack of weapons

They have some good players, but were vastly overrated. That defense crapped the bed against all but 1 starting caliber QB, and Romo is good for crapping out on his own without much help.

Well the AFC is pretty weak when you compare it to the NFC.

Denver had not faced a real defense all year long and they were slaughtered last night.

They were also one dimensional going into that game since they didn't like running the ball so they could run up the stats all year long. That came back hard on them.

The AFC is pretty weak when you compare it to the NFC. Sure the offenses look sexy when Brady and Manning run the stats up high, but ultimately no one has a real defense in that conference. Meanwhile in the NFC, you have 3 solid teams with a great defense, and then some of the lesser ones have improved drastically.

Denver's defense was one of the worst all season long even with their schedule. It wouldn't have mattered had they got Seattle, they would have struggled against some of the other great NFC team too.

The big issue to me....is teams that played Seattle a second time...VASTLY IMPROVED in those games. NO, SF,ARI all came close to winning or did win games after facing Seattle a second time. I agree Denver's team was not ready for the speed and physical nature and it showed...but given playng them once before or playing a couple teams like them and SF it is much easier to prepare for that type of game. There really isn't a team in the AFC that plays that style of football...and none in the NFC East that Denver played against. Had they played a Carolina, SF, SEA, ARI, STL team they would have had a much better gauge for the level that defense was coming to play. To say they couldn't match it is ridiculous....that is like saying NO a finese team couldn't..but they played very well and was a couple plays from winning that playoff game. Honestly I don't think Denver was ready for the crowd noise and communication issues and then they didn't ratchet up their game speed. We've seen them do it before but they came out flat...hard to imagine but they did...it was a poor effort that just snowballed...much like SF and NO first games playing Seattle....but you guys adjusted...and Denver could too. Play your worst game against a great team...your going to get rolled...the difference isn't as big as the score...but that is what happens in the nfl...like Tom said...the margin for error is small...and its easy to see how a game can get away from you...especially on this stage.

The big issue to me....is teams that played Seattle a second time...VASTLY IMPROVED in those games. NO, SF,ARI all came close to winning or did win games after facing Seattle a second time. I agree Denver's team was not ready for the speed and physical nature and it showed...but given playng them once before or playing a couple teams like them and SF it is much easier to prepare for that type of game. There really isn't a team in the AFC that plays that style of football...and none in the NFC East that Denver played against. Had they played a Carolina, SF, SEA, ARI, STL team they would have had a much better gauge for the level that defense was coming to play. To say they couldn't match it is ridiculous....that is like saying NO a finese team couldn't..but they played very well and was a couple plays from winning that playoff game. Honestly I don't think Denver was ready for the crowd noise and communication issues and then they didn't ratchet up their game speed. We've seen them do it before but they came out flat...hard to imagine but they did...it was a poor effort that just snowballed...much like SF and NO first games playing Seattle....but you guys adjusted...and Denver could too. Play your worst game against a great team...your going to get rolled...the difference isn't as big as the score...but that is what happens in the nfl...like Tom said...the margin for error is small...and its easy to see how a game can get away from you...especially on this stage.

Great point. NFL teams are more evenly matched and can adjust and come back strong even after a huge blowout.

One common thing the three teams did when the came back was they all emphasized the running game. Even for Saints with Brees an elite QB, they maintained a near 50-50 passing to running ratio when they were down by 16 points, and they managed to come back for a game tying drive at the end. This was the blueprint for beating Seattle, which Denver strangely didn't even consider.