Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Great Story about Peyton AFTER the Super Bowl...

NewColtsFan

For Peyton Manning fans here,  this will reaffirm why you love the guy so much....

A great story about all the people who asked Manning for autographs tonight AFTER perhaps the worst loss of his career...    and how he stopped and accommodated dozens of them...

Such a classy guy,  even in defeat....

A very enjoyable read....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/peyton-manning-leaves-crushing-super-bowl-loss-with-reputation-intact-065205260.html

For Peyton Manning fans here,  this will reaffirm why you love the guy so much....

A great story about all the people who asked Manning for autographs tonight AFTER perhaps the worst loss of his career...    and how he stopped and accommodated dozens of them...

Such a classy guy,  even in defeat....

A very enjoyable read....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/peyton-manning-leaves-crushing-super-bowl-loss-with-reputation-intact-065205260.html

this is what I was referring to in one of the other threads,  thanks for sharing the article.

That article says it all about Peyton. He and Johnny Unitas in my opinion are the two greatest QBs to play the game. Manning reminds me of baseball's iron man Cal Ripken Jr. who would stay late after games and sign Autographs for fans.  Manning is a class act. For me he didn't have anything left to prove. He should be in the HOF on the first ballot when he is eligible to be inducted in the HOF. He is probably one of the greatest QB's ever to play the game. We talk about Montana, Brees and Brady but the reason i say Manning is one of the greatest QBs to play the game is a person who doesn't get mentioned in the talk because not many people mention QBs that played in the 50's and 60's. and Johnny Unitas paved the way for players like Manning, Farve, Montana, Brees, and Brady.

Totally class guy who deserves better. I feel bad for him. This was a tough loss for his legacy , but he still has a Super Bowl win , and tons of MVP 's and records. He's a top 5 quarterback , but you'd be hard pressed to call him the GOAT after another tough post season performance. Still, it's been a great career, and you can only wish the guy well. Maybe he will get another shot , but Seattle and SF look good for years to come. Denver is built for winning now , so this has to be disappointing . It's not all doom and gloom , Peyton has had a great career.

Just heard on ESPN (on Mike & Mike) from Richard Sherman that after the game PM went up to Richard Sherman to ask him about his injury and to make sure he was OK.

Sherman said it was the classiest move ever, that Peyton congratulated him and didn't need to do that. He also defended PM this morning saying that it's not right that all these people are bashing PM this morning.

Yes, Sherman said Peyton had a bad game but he's still a living legend and should be viewed as such.

Peyton truly is a great, great guy. Love to tease him due to what often occurs in the playoffs, but as a human being, he is an outstanding person. I would love to sit down for a beer with him.

problem is, your "teasing" often comes off as Very Mean, Hateful and Vindictive.

It is nice, for a change, to hear you say something nice about him.

problem is, your "teasing" often comes off as Very Mean, Hateful and Vindictive.It is nice, for a change, to hear you say something nice about him.

Show me one hateful post that I've made about Peyton Manning. I won't hold my breath.

Is the media fawning over him annoying? Definitely. That's what annoys most non Peyton fans. Peyton himself, IMHO, doesn't engender any negativity.

Well, his postseason record does, but not his personality.

Show me one hateful post that I've made about Peyton Manning. I won't hold my breath.

Is the media fawning over him annoying? Definitely. That's what annoys most non Peyton fans. Peyton himself, IMHO, doesn't engender any negativity.

Well, his postseason record does, but not his personality.

:lol:  Are you for Real...???   I don't feel like sorting through your drivel to point them out,   you know, as well as the rest of us,  the type of comments you've made over the years.   A few last night were "deleted"    NO-WHERE  to be found now.

Forget I complimented you earlier.... It was a complete error in judgement on my part.  

Done here.

A friend of mine is a go-fer for the Pro Bowl and called me over to as he was willing to take a pic of me and Mr. Manning.  Me standing next to Peyton Manning and a picture to be taken!  Now my undies soon became tri-colored and I stood there dumb-founded.  Manning could have easily walked away or make a sarcastic remark but he stood there and waited for me to get my composure!  A class act!

I think the best thing to happen to Peyton's legacy yesterday was the entire game.

Meaning....   when you lose as bad as the Broncos did,  then it's not about Peyton Manning.

Denver got completely outplayed.   Troy Aikman said every member of the Broncos got outplayed by his Seattle counter-part.

If Manning had played the best game of his life,  Denver still wouldn't have won.   Seattle completely outclassed them.

O...   D.....  ST....  and coaching.

The Broncos didn't lose because Peyton didn't play well enough.   Denver lost because EVERYONE didn't play well enough.

Peyton's legacy to me is still very much intact.

:lol:  Are you for Real...???   I don't feel like sorting through your drivel to point them out,   you know, as well as the rest of us,  the type of comments you've made over the years.   A few last night were "deleted"    NO-WHERE  to be found now.

Forget I complimented you earlier.... It was a complete error in judgement on my part.  

Done here.

So you can't.

That's what I thought.

Perhaps you should have chosen your words better.

Have I ever said anything negative about Peyton's performances in the past? Heck yes!

Have I ever said anything, in YOUR WORDS, "hateful" about Peyton? Nope, never.

I think the best thing to happen to Peyton's legacy yesterday was the entire game.

Meaning....   when you lose as bad as the Broncos did,  then it's not about Peyton Manning.

Denver got completely outplayed.   Troy Aikman said every member of the Broncos got outplayed by his Seattle counter-part.

If Manning had played the best game of his life,  Denver still wouldn't have won.   Seattle completely outclassed them.

O...   D.....  ST....  and coaching.

The Broncos didn't lose because Peyton didn't play well enough.   Denver lost because EVERYONE didn't play well enough.

Peyton's legacy to me is still very much intact.

Yeah. I had the Broncos pretty much beat after the kick-off return for a TD. I really think Denver stopped caring after that.

So you can't.

That's what I thought.

Perhaps you should have chosen your words better.

Have I ever said anything negative about Peyton's performances in the past? Heck yes!

Have I ever said anything, in YOUR WORDS, "hateful" about Peyton? Nope, never.

Choosing "my words" wisely...?? Okay.. I'll probably get banned, and at this point I don't even care anymore.

2nd thought, you're not even worth the time.........

Choosing "my words" wisely...?? Okay.. I'll probably get banned, and at this point I don't even care anymore.2nd thought, you're not even worth the time.........

Proved my point again.

I have never posted a "hate filled" post about Peyton. I've always personally liked the guy.

I have never posted a "hate filled" post about Peyton. I've always personally liked the guy.

Let's not get hung up on one word here.   Forget the Hate part, okay.  

As to the bolded part....

Yes, It is very evident HOW much you "like" the guy with the things you  post  ~   for instance:

Ah, great times. Lots of Manning faces, lots of fun facts such as Peyton holds the record for most pick sixes in SB history, etc. he trails only Favre for most pick sixes in a career.

It's a fantastic day.     posted today @ 12:39 p.m.

and

That was fun! Gotta loved seeing Peyton playing godawful.     posted last night @  10:36 p.m.

Yes,  I personally always love watching someone I like  play Godawful.   Doesn't  everyone...???  :scratch:

Several other  more flattering posts about how MUCH you like Peyton have been deleted.

Let's not get hung up on one word here.   Forget the Hate part, okay.  

As to the bolded part....

Yes, It is very evident HOW much you "like" the guy with the things you  post  ~   for instance:

Ah, great times. Lots of Manning faces, lots of fun facts such as Peyton holds the record for most pick sixes in SB history, etc. he trails only Favre for most pick sixes in a career.

It's a fantastic day.     posted today @ 12:39 p.m.

and

That was fun! Gotta loved seeing Peyton playing godawful.     posted last night @  10:36 p.m.

Yes,  I personally always love watching someone I like  play Godawful.   Doesn't  everyone...???  :scratch:

Several other  more flattering posts about how MUCH you like Peyton have been deleted.

Did I not just say that I criticize Peyton on his on-field performances?

I JUST posted that!

I don't, however, post anything hateful about Peyton the person.

There's a distinct an important difference.

I actually thought the embarrassing question was a legitimate one. I have no idea why Manning got so upset. Okay yes, Peyton & the Broncos just suffered a crushing loss & naturally no team wants to lose the SB. Frankly, I have read countless articles on how swell of a guy Manning is, but none of that is relevant in the immediate aftermath of a devastating loss like that on the world's biggest stage with perfect weather conditions.

An elite QB with over a decades worth of experience are expected to make the SB a competitive one & that clearly did not happen Sunday night. Is part of that the quality of Denver's adversary? Yes. Is part of that how the ball bounces strangely due to an expected safety? Yes. If Peyton gets so much credit for his regular wins, he cannot be pardoned from constructive criticism now. Denver's offense was stalled for a significant portion of the game & their o-line failed to protect Manning. But 18 made some poor decisions last night leading to costly turnovers.

It bothered me when 18 shifted the embarrassment question to his teammates. Yes, I know the coaching staff & 53 man roster worked hard to get to the SB. I realize that. But. that's not the point or what the reporter was getting at. The reporter was essentially asking 18 to critique his own performance last night in terms of game execution. A fair question. Sports writers are paid to explain what happened on the field & to give you an opportunity to put your assessment on tonight's performance. It's not an out of bounds question because journalists have deadlines to meet. At least the reporter gave Peyton a chance to respond & offer feedback. Peyton is free to say no comment or I'm not in the best position to answer that question at this moment. Thank you. 

The Broncos lost the SB & fans what to know why this happened. They don't care about Peyton's handwritten letters, his charity work, or his beloved NFL icon status right now. They want to know why such a prolific offense crashed & burned. Post season wins matter. They are part of any elite QBs legacy. So do SB appearances, rings, division titles, & regular season wins. Now Peyton has improved on his post season play this year & he deserves considerable credit for that fact. However, coming up short in 2 SBs cannot be ignored either. It's all part of the legacy mix of an elite NFL QB. 

Do I respect Peyton Manning? Yes. Is he a 1st ballot HOF QB? Absolutely. Has he lost 2 SBs? Yes, unfortunately he has. Was the reporter out of line with the "embarrassment" comment? No, he was not. I was sad & embarrassed for him & that entire organization. I was disappointed to see Manning duck a reasonable question. JMO.

Stories about 18's kind personality have their place but so do questions about a less than stellar SB performance by a reporter on a deadline. Elite QBs are judged everytime they step on the field why should last night be an exception to that rule?  

I will also freely admit that I was wrong about the Broncos chances of winning Sunday night & if any NE fans want to rub that confidence I displayed in my face, Go ahead. I deserve it & I will take my lumps now. SW1 was completely wrong. I admit it, I own it, I do not hide from my mistakes epic or tiny.

That's how I roll. And yes, I still respect, admire, & revere Peyton Manning. None of that changes for me. Thank you for listening to me. I appreciate it. :hat:  

Like I always say...I am a fan of the entire NFL except for the Dallas Cowboys who serve as my comic relief...

I actually thought the embarrassing question was a legitimate one. I have no idea why Manning got so upset. Okay yes, Peyton & the Broncos just suffered a crushing loss & naturally no team wants to lose the SB. Frankly, I have read countless articles on how swell of a guy Manning is, but none of that is relevant in the immediate aftermath of a devastating loss like that on the world's biggest stage with perfect weather conditions.

An elite QB with over a decades worth of experience are expected to make the SB a competitive one & that clearly did not happen Sunday night. Is part of that the quality of Denver's adversary? Yes. Is part of that how the ball bounces strangely due to an expected safety? Yes. If Peyton gets so much credit for his regular wins, he cannot be pardoned from constructive criticism now. Denver's offense was stalled for a significant portion of the game & their o-line failed to protect Manning. But 18 made some poor decisions last night leading to costly turnovers.

It bothered me when 18 shifted the embarrassment question to his teammates. Yes, I know the coaching staff & 53 man roster worked hard to get to the SB. I realize that. But. that's not the point or what the reporter was getting at. The reporter was essentially asking 18 to critique his own performance last night in terms of game execution. A fair question. Sports writers are paid to explain what happened on the field & to give you an opportunity to put your assessment on tonight's performance. It's not an out of bounds question because journalists have deadlines to meet. At least the reporter gave Peyton a chance to respond & offer feedback. Peyton is free to say no comment or I'm not in the best position to answer that question at this moment. Thank you. 

The Broncos lost the SB & fans what to know why this happened. They don't care about Peyton's handwritten letters, his charity work, or his beloved NFL icon status right now. They want to know why such a prolific offense crashed & burned. Post season wins matter. They are part of any elite QBs legacy. So do SB appearances, rings, division titles, & regular season wins. Now Peyton has improved on his post season play this year & he deserves considerable credit for that fact. However, coming up short in 2 SBs cannot be ignored either. It's all part of the legacy mix of an elite NFL QB. 

Do I respect Peyton Manning? Yes. Is he a 1st ballot HOF QB? Absolutely. Has he lost 2 SBs? Yes, unfortunately he has. Was the reporter out of line with the "embarrassment" comment? No, he was not. I was sad & embarrassed for him & that entire organization. I was disappointed to see Manning duck a reasonable question. JMO.

Stories about 18's kind personality have their place but so do questions about a less than stellar SB performance by a reporter on a deadline. Elite QBs are judged everytime they step on the field why should last night be an exception to that rule?  

Denver got a coach named John Fox who is not the best coach when it comes down to adjustments. They didn't change one thing from the first half going into the second half!

Put BB in Denver and that team is going undefeated and win the SB. Yup I said it!

The bottom line is that Seattle coaching staff was far superior than Denver's. 

And said it with a smile

I loved Peyton's response though. He delivered it with calm and composure but he was obviously angry and let it show just enough. 

I just don't understand how a media reporter can go up to, arguably, the best QB ever... after he has just finished playing in the Superbowl... which capped an unprecedented, record breaking season... and ask him if he's embarrassed. It's mind boggling.

I loved Peyton's response though. He delivered it with calm and composure but he was obviously angry and let it show just enough. 

I just don't understand how a media reporter can go up to, arguably, the best QB ever... after he has just finished playing in the Superbowl... which capped an unprecedented, record breaking season... and ask him if he's embarrassed. It's mind boggling.

I wish someone would treat some of these reporters the same way they treat other people.  

Are you embarrassed about this post where your basically saying that Peyton threw his team under the bus and he was defending his team saying they were professional players in the locker room that prepared well but just got out played including himself.

I will never understand your post because they flip like a stack of pancakes.   You don't need to come back with the old line I love Peyton aka Yoda because that line is getting old.  Peyton and the whole Bronco team and coaches got out played by a better team and they were not embarrassed just upset.  Well I have said all I'm going to on this post. :sigh:

Did I not just say that I criticize Peyton on his on-field performances?

I JUST posted that!

I don't, however, post anything hateful about Peyton the person.

There's a distinct an important difference.

Which some people might consider hateful.  You also did not say the hateful comment had to be about Peyton the person you said, "Show me one hateful post that I've made about Peyton Manning."  You might note there is a difference.  Finally, I would like to join you and Peyton for that beer as long as all your posts about Peyton were read to him while you were there, that would be fun.

Which some people might consider hateful.  You also did not say the hateful comment had to be about Peyton the person you said, "Show me one hateful post that I've made about Peyton Manning."  You might note there is a difference.  Finally, I would like to join you and Peyton for that beer as long as all your posts about Peyton were read to him while you were there, that would be fun.

Oh please,  include me too   :cheers:     ;)

Are you embarrassed about this post where your basically saying that Peyton threw his team under the bus and he was defending his team saying they were professional players in the locker room that prepared well but just got out played including himself.

I will never understand your post because they flip like a stack of pancakes.   You don't need to come back with the old line I love Peyton aka Yoda because that line is getting old.  Peyton and the whole Bronco team and coaches got out played by a better team and they were not embarrassed just upset.  Well I have said all I'm going to on this post. :sigh:

Susie Q & JAN: 

You need to separate your admiration from Peyton Manning as a person & evaluate 18's individual performance on the field. It has nothing to do with throwing teammates under the bus. QBs, especially elite ones like Peyton cannot be exonerated for a lackluster performance in a SB that was taylor made for him to win & 18 came up short. Facts are facts & I take no pleasure in pointing out that Manning fell flat in the SB. Was the level of competition tremendously high on the other side? Yes, it most definitely was.

Let me ask you something...If Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady had put up a less than stellar night identical to what the world saw on Sunday night, would you be making the same "throw under the bus" argument that you are now? True, you can have a different critique system for judging a QB's legacy than I do, which is perfectly fine. That is your right, but to infer that I was somehow embarrassed by what I wrote in my previous response is absolutely absurd. I was very respectful to Peyton Manning & my respect for him has not diminished 1 bit. However, you need to separate your affection for Peyton as a person & learn to evaluate him based on his game performance as an NFL player Sunday night. Is 18 solely responsible for the Broncos loss? No, of course not, but you can't deny that his individual performance on the field played a vital role in the outcome. 

Articles pertaining to how beloved Peyton Manning is still don't change the fact that 18 as the primary field general was ineffective in moving the ball down the field & because of that the Broncos lost the SB. Were there WR drops? Yes. Is there plenty of blame to go around on the Denver side? Sure. But again, what Peyton did in my estimation was completely wrong. The embarrassment question was essentially asking #18 the highest paid player on the Broncos roster this: Were you satisfied that you did enough to win the SB Peyton? How would you Manning rate Sunday night's performance? That question has nothing to do with teammates on the field. Zero, zilch, nada. It is essentially asking how can a now 5 time MVP put up a performance like that? If Brady had done that, people on here would be pouncing all over that blood in the water shark meat for days, weeks, & months. You know it & I know it. 

My point is this: If Manning is the face of the NFL & regarded as "the most cerebral QB in football" why is he given a pass for a less than stellar performance just because he is such a swell, wholesome guy? Sorry, life doesn't work that way. If Manning wants the praise & all the accolades when he wins, then he must take the heat when he loses at the QB position, the most important position in football. No free passes anymore Peyton is a grown man & this isn't a Kindergarden class. JMO.

Susie Q & JAN: 

You need to separate your admiration from Peyton Manning as a person & evaluate 18's individual performance.

I need to do no such thing....

Let me ask you something...If Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady had put up a less than stellar night identical to what the world saw on Sunday night, would you be making the same "throw under the bus" argument that you are now? True, you can have a different critique system for judging a QB's legacy than I do, which is perfectly fine. That is your right, but to infer that I was somehow embarrassed by what I wrote in my previous response is absolutely absurd. I was very respectful to Peyton Manning & my respect for him has not diminished 1 bit. However, you need to separate your affection for Peyton as a person & learn to evaluate him based on his game performance as an NFL player Sunday night. Is 18 solely responsible for the Broncos loss? No, of course not, but you can't deny that his individual performance on the field played a vital role in the outcome. 

And let me answer... If it had been any of those other QB's my reaction and feeling would be the same, which is, Everyone knows they're better than that, just like everyone knows Peyton is better than that. It was ONE game, albeit the SB, and Honestly, the way Seattle was playing I don't see any other team beating them Sunday Night.

but as Archie said, "that is why I love football and hate football"

As far as your "throwing teammates under the bus comment, That Is NOT what Peyton was doing. When someone asked him the Ridiculous comment if he was embarrassed ~ and he reponded that that was insulting, and continued on that there were 53 teammates in the locker room right now, that played their butts off, he was giving his teammates "credit" for trying to give it their ALL, and falling short. I don't know how anyone took that as him throwing teammates under the bus. :scratch:

Actually, your line about a stack of pancakes made me laugh. I have been consistent on my position about Peyton Manning all 2013 year long. Peyton is the smartest QB in football, Peyton needed to win in the post season, & I really wanted Peyton to be the 1st QB to win 2 different SBs with 2 different teams. Also, I said that I will put Manning's feet to the fire while he is still playing, but once he retires from the NFL I will be more kind regarding how I interpret his legacy.

Show me 1 post where I have deviated from this position in 2013. 

If you do not like what I write, you are free to put my name on the ignore list. Have a nice day.