Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richard Sherman is an embarassment to the NFL

oldunclemark

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love him now. He is hilarious. I love people who just say what the heck they want and back it up. Yes Yes Yes. Refreshing to see a guy like this in such a pc tippy toe around the country environment where everyone tries so hard not to offend one another. Sheesh......I have been told I have a big mouth too before and so be it. :)

I also loved when he told off Skip.......atta boy.

The "be classy" crowd won't like it but then again this is sports....it's entertainment. They won't all open doors for old ladies and put on squeaky clean images to please our mothers.

muhammad-ali-vs-sonny-liston.jpg  The bottom line is those who can talk smack & back

it up drives people  .  :funny:   Peyton wears the white hat & Sherman the black hat - Who will Win the Sheriff or the Desperado ?

He is that guy, isn't he? Kind of like Owens dancing on the Dallas Cowboys star at mid-field.

No, I wouldn't necessarily call Mr. Sherman a villain. He is fully aware of what he is doing. Taking down the premium QBs in this game. Manning will end this Seahawks intimidation fest though. 

Does he like to be vocal? Sure he does, but TO was all about occupying the spotlight all by himself. Richard is all about highlighting his teammates Earl Thomas & Russel Wilson just to name a few off the top of my head. Big difference there. 

I will concede amfootball that you do not disrespect a 3 time SB Champion like he did with Tom Brady. You never, never do that IMHO. Never mock made men who have earned their NFL reputation the hard way. 

muhammad-ali-vs-sonny-liston.jpg  The bottom line is those who can talk smack & back

it up drives people  .  :funny:   Peyton wears the white hat & Sherman the black hat - Who will Win the Sheriff or the Desperado ?

Ali could also be a major a** clown. What he said to and about Joe Frazier crossed a line that made lose all respect for the man.

No, I wouldn't necessarily call Mr. Sherman a villain. He is fully aware of what he is doing. Taking down the premium QBs in this game. Manning will end this Seahawks intimidation fest though. 

Does he like to be vocal? Sure he does, but TO was all about occupying the spotlight all by himself. Richard is all about highlighting his teammates Earl Thomas & Russel Wilson just to name a few off the top of my head. Big difference there. 

I will concede amfootball that you do not disrespect a 3 time SB Champion like he did with Tom Brady. You never, never do that IMHO. Never mock made men who have earned their NFL reputation the hard way. 

And he got a complete pass from the media on it. But apparently Crabtree is different ...

Sherman is a pretty smart guy and knows the effect this'll have, everyone pays attention to those that can entartain them in virtually every sport, Sherman does things to get a reaction because he likes the attention and enjoys that aspect of the game and it opens up many opportunities down the line, Sherman will eclipse Skip Bayless in this regard.

Sort of sad how few people understand the nature of what he's doing, even if it's not a nice thing to do.

But Sherman is imo entartaining, he's good for the game even if it's a bit questionable at times

His play on the field is good for the game, his interviews away the football field are, from what I have heard, good for the game, his community work is good for the game, however his mouth on the football field are definitely not good for the game.

Sad part is that this Sherman debate has completely dominated over everything surrounding the actual SB matchup....hell the media has talked about Sherman and his mouth more then what the weather conditions will probably look like even, But I honestly dont just blame Sherman for that.....The media as usual grabs something then blows its way out of proportion and runs with it. Nothing what he said was that bad...He is not even the first player to give a demonstrative interview.......The media deserves just as much or more blame because they are beating this to death. Its  really gotten to the point where I am even annoyed by this and I dont even think Sherman said anything bad to Andrews

Sad part is that this Sherman debate has completely dominated over everything surrounding the actual SB matchup....hell the media has talked about Sherman and his mouth more then what the weather conditions will probably look like even, But I honestly dont just blame Sherman for that.....The media as usual grabs something then blows its way out of proportion and runs with it. Nothing what he said was that bad...He is not even the first player to give a demonstrative interview.......The media deserves just as much or more blame because they are beating this to death. Its  really gotten to the point where I am even annoyed by this and I dont even think Sherman said anything bad to Andrews

The media never accepts any culpability in these things - ever. I do think what Sherman did was wrong and unprofessional, etc but the media has just run and run with this taking every angle possible. By the time the game rolls around Sherman will be public enemy number one which is probably how he wants it anyways ....

“So, I’m really disappointed in being called a thug.”

If someone goes on national television and acts like a thug, brags like a thug, and taunts like a thug,  why should he feel disappointed when people call him a thug.  In other words, if its walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Just because he got a free-ride scholarship to play football at Stanford does not give him a free pass on his asinine behavior.   To borrow on another old cliche, you can take the boy out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the boy...not if he doesn't want to leave it behind.  Case in point:  Aaron Hernandez.  Someone wisely observed that money doesn't change a person's character, it magnifies it.

I'm sick of these athletes copping a prima-donna attitude like they're bigger than the game.  They idolize  Muhammad Ali, who achieved so much fortune and fame/infamy/notoriety, not only from his dominance in his sport, but also from his cocky personality and braggadocio.  Two generations later, this is Ali's legacy.  These young athletes mimic his loud-mouthed bragging, strutting, chest-thumping, trash-talking, ridiculing and taunting opponents.  Only nowadays they call it 'swagger' or 'showing my passion' or 'expressing my personality'.  Basically, it's all about me.  I AM the greatest!  I'm a BAAAAD man!  It's now just a part of sports entertainment.

For the apologists who claim that this kind of of behavior is perfectly acceptable so long as the athlete can back up his big mouth with his big play, what happens when he doesn't?  For example, Sherman ridiculed T.Y. Hilton about his small stature, and Hilton promptly burned him and the entire Seattle secondary.  Hilton made the Legion of Boom look like the Legion of Bust.  Do you think Sherman lost any credibility when his play didn't back up his trash talking in that game?  Do you believe he felt any embarrassment or humiliation from it?  I seriously doubt it.

What ever happened to good sportsmanship?  Where is the respect for the game and for your opponents?  Who pays any attention to those quiet athletes who carry themselves with dignity, humility, and class?  The ones who let their play on the field do the talking for them?  This is where the media is culpable for enabling and encouraging classless behavior by rewarding it with even more attention.  The media's primary goal is to make money, so they'll dwell on whatever topic is trending hottest at the moment because it will sell more copy and get higher commercial ratings.  

Sherman and other young athletes like him know full well that in this day and age, infamy and notoriety in American culture is just as valuable and marketable as achievement, or talent, or positively earned fame.  Just ask Madonna, Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, and Kim Kardashian.  Sherman's agents must be salivating at the prospect that his name-recognition has expanded well beyond football fandom due to all the media coverage from this controversy.  It won't be long before they'll figure out a way for him to cash in on it.  After all, he's bigger than football now, but not yet quite as big as O.J. Simpson.

I think Ali was a little more tongue in cheek, personally. But a triple like for a great post.

He also played an individual sport in boxing. I also don't remember Ali disrespecting his opponents either. I could be wrong. But mostly just remember him saying he was a bad man and the best, etc.

If someone goes on national television and acts like a thug, brags like a thug, and taunts like a thug, why should he feel disappointed when people call him a thug. In other words, if its walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Just because he got a free-ride scholarship to play football at Stanford does not give him a free pass on his asinine behavior. To borrow on another old cliche, you can take the boy out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the boy...not if he doesn't want to leave it behind. Case in point: Aaron Hernandez. Someone wisely observed that money doesn't change a person's character, it magnifies it.

I'm sick of these athletes copping a prima-donna attitude like they're bigger than the game. They idolize Muhammad Ali, who achieved so much fortune and fame/infamy/notoriety, not only from his dominance in his sport, but also from his cocky personality and braggadocio. Two generations later, this is Ali's legacy. These young athletes mimic his loud-mouthed bragging, strutting, chest-thumping, trash-talking, ridiculing and taunting opponents. Only nowadays they call it 'swagger' or 'showing my passion' or 'expressing my personality'. Basically, it's all about me. I AM the greatest! I'm a BAAAAD man! It's now just a part of sports entertainment.

For the apologists who claim that this kind of of behavior is perfectly acceptable so long as the athlete can back up his big mouth with his big play, what happens when he doesn't? For example, Sherman ridiculed T.Y. Hilton about his small stature, and Hilton promptly burned him and the entire Seattle secondary. Hilton made the Legion of Boom look like the Legion of Bust. Do you think Sherman lost any credibility when his play didn't back up his trash talking in that game? Do you believe he felt any embarrassment or humiliation from it? I seriously doubt it.

What ever happened to good sportsmanship? Where is the respect for the game and for your opponents? Who pays any attention to those quiet athletes who carry themselves with dignity, humility, and class? The ones who let their play on the field do the talking for them? This is where the media is culpable for enabling and encouraging classless behavior by rewarding it with even more attention. The media's primary goal is to make money, so they'll dwell on whatever topic is trending hottest at the moment because it will sell more copy and get higher commercial ratings.

Sherman and other young athletes like him know full well that in this day and age, infamy and notoriety in American culture is just as valuable and marketable as achievement, or talent, or positively earned fame. Just ask Madonna, Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, and Kim Kardashian. Sherman's agents must be salivating at the prospect that his name-recognition has expanded well beyond football fandom due to all the media coverage from this controversy. It won't be long before they'll figure out a way for him to cash in on it. After all, he's bigger than football now, but not yet quite as big as O.J. Simpson.

Going by Pretty much any dictionary definition of a thug, that would make Pretty much every defensive player a thug.

I don't know that Sherman got a full ride, but if he Did then he certainly had great academics in college.

He also played an individual sport in boxing. I also don't remember Ali disrespecting his opponents either. I could be wrong. But mostly just remember him saying he was a bad man and the best, etc.

for the most part he was, especially with Howard Cosell . . .but he did call Frazier a gorilla among other things . . . "its gonna be a killer and a thriller and a chilla, when I beat the gorilla in Manila . . . "  . .  although after the fight he call Frazier son into the dressing room to apologize he never apologies to Frazier directly . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ37lyT6u8Y

for the most part he was, especially with Howard Cosell . . .but he did call Frazier a gorilla among other things . . . "its gonna be a killer and a thriller and a chilla, when I beat the gorilla in Manila . . . "  . .  although after the fight he call Frazier son into the dressing room to apologize he never apologies to Frazier directly . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ37lyT6u8Y

Thanks. I do remember that now.

What Ali said to Joe Frazier would have made the Klan proud.

If someone goes on national television and acts like a thug, brags like a thug, and taunts like a thug,  why should he feel disappointed when people call him a thug.  In other words, if its walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Just because he got a free-ride scholarship to play football at Stanford does not give him a free pass on his asinine behavior.   To borrow on another old cliche, you can take the boy out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the boy...not if he doesn't want to leave it behind.  Case in point:  Aaron Hernandez.  Someone wisely observed that money doesn't change a person's character, it magnifies it.

I'm sick of these athletes copping a prima-donna attitude like they're bigger than the game.  They idolize  Muhammad Ali, who achieved so much fortune and fame/infamy/notoriety, not only from his dominance in his sport, but also from his cocky personality and braggadocio.  Two generations later, this is Ali's legacy.  These young athletes mimic his loud-mouthed bragging, strutting, chest-thumping, trash-talking, ridiculing and taunting opponents.  Only nowadays they call it 'swagger' or 'showing my passion' or 'expressing my personality'.  Basically, it's all about me.  I AM the greatest!  I'm a BAAAAD man!  It's now just a part of sports entertainment.

For the apologists who claim that this kind of of behavior is perfectly acceptable so long as the athlete can back up his big mouth with his big play, what happens when he doesn't?  For example, Sherman ridiculed T.Y. Hilton about his small stature, and Hilton promptly burned him and the entire Seattle secondary.  Hilton made the Legion of Boom look like the Legion of Bust.  Do you think Sherman lost any credibility when his play didn't back up his trash talking in that game?  Do you believe he felt any embarrassment or humiliation from it?  I seriously doubt it.

What ever happened to good sportsmanship?  Where is the respect for the game and for your opponents?  Who pays any attention to those quiet athletes who carry themselves with dignity, humility, and class?  The ones who let their play on the field do the talking for them?  This is where the media is culpable for enabling and encouraging classless behavior by rewarding it with even more attention.  The media's primary goal is to make money, so they'll dwell on whatever topic is trending hottest at the moment because it will sell more copy and get higher commercial ratings.  

Sherman and other young athletes like him know full well that in this day and age, infamy and notoriety in American culture is just as valuable and marketable as achievement, or talent, or positively earned fame.  Just ask Madonna, Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, and Kim Kardashian.  Sherman's agents must be salivating at the prospect that his name-recognition has expanded well beyond football fandom due to all the media coverage from this controversy.  It won't be long before they'll figure out a way for him to cash in on it.  After all, he's bigger than football now, but not yet quite as big as O.J. Simpson.

Browner is the one who talked trash to TY, not Sherman.

The rest of you're comment is equably terrible.

Some people need to learn how to use the word thug correctly....so here ya go:

thugnoun \ˈthəg\

: a violent criminal

CloseStyle: MLA APA Chicago

easybib_logo.gif 
Full Definition of THUG
: a brutal ruffian or assassin : gangster, tough
thug·gery \ˈthə-g(ə-)rē\noun
thug·gish \ˈthə-gish\adjective
Examples of THUG
  1. He was beaten and robbed by street thugs.
  2. <the Mob boss regularly sent his thugs after people who were slow to pay their debts>
Origin of THUG
Hindi & Urdu ṭhag, literally, thief
First Known Use: 1810
Related to THUG

Sherman has not shown to be any of the above

thug noun \ˈthəg\

easybib_logo.gif

Full Definition of THUG
Examples of THUG
  2. <the Mob boss regularly sent his thugs after people who were slow to pay their debts>
Origin of THUG
Related to THUG

Yawn     An honest opinion openly expressed.

thug noun \ˈthəg\

easybib_logo.gif

Full Definition of THUG
Examples of THUG
Origin of THUG
Related to THUG

Exactly.  The person/people who broke into the Westfield home here in Indiana, killed two people, and robbed the place are thugs.  Calling Sherman a thug because he was loud and talked smack about Crabtree is insulting.  I get people dislike what he said and the way he came off, but anyone who calls him a thug is just ignorant.

Going by Pretty much any dictionary definition of a thug, that would make Pretty much every defensive player a thug.

I don't know that Sherman got a full ride, but if he Did then he certainly had great academics in college.

Well....Josef Mengele probably had great academics in college too, and "thug" might be the kindest thing you could say about that straight out of hell animal.

Sherman may have had a 4.0+ GPA at Stanford....who knows? But broadly speaking, that has zero to do with a person's character or manner of expression.

Their intelligence and work ethic? Sure. But their character and a subdued manner of expression?

Nothing.

As long as Sherman has the reliable parade of media sycophants and fawning, adoring fans loading the $$$ pipeline every time he shoots his mouth off...neither a Stanford University nor a Tumbleweed Tech education will likely change a thing.

He relishes all this and he indeed has every right to do so and cash it in for all its worth....and fans here and everywhere have the right to cheer it or lament it.

He's not a thug, that we know of....but his act is Ali / Deion / T.O. all over again....and its old.

Well....Josef Mengele probably had great academics in college too, and "thug" might be the kindest thing you could say about that straight out of hell animal.

Sherman may have had a 4.0+ GPA at Stanford....who knows? But broadly speaking, that has zero to do with a person's character or manner of expression.

Their intelligence and work ethic? Sure. But their character and a subdued manner of expression?

Nothing.

As long as Sherman has the reliable parade of media sycophants and fawning, adoring fans loading the $$$ pipeline every time he shoots his mouth off...neither a Stanford University nor a Tumbleweed Tech education will likely change a thing.

He relishes all this and he indeed has every right to do so and cash it in for all its worth....and fans here and everywhere have the right to cheer it or lament it.

He's not a thug, that we know of....but his act is Ali / Deion / T.O. all over again....and its old.

lmao why the Angel of Death comparisons? 

Someone is trying to degrade his academic achievement and I was simply defending that. 

Fun fact time: My grandpa in Argentina (A native btw, not a nazi haha) knew Mengele's right hand man after he fled to Argentina. 

thug noun \ˈthəg\

easybib_logo.gif

Full Definition of THUG
Examples of THUG
Origin of THUG
Related to THUG

LOL...

A Brutal Ruffian...

That Richard Sherman sure is a BRUTAL RUFFIAN...

lmao why the Angel of Death comparisons? 

Someone is trying to degrade his academic achievement and I was simply defending that. 

Fun fact time: My grandpa in Argentina (A native btw, not a nazi haha) knew Mengele's right hand man after he fled to Argentina. 

I guess I kinda of Sherman'd it myself with the Mengele reference, huh? Nazi references are never a good idea. :facepalm:

Interesting side note about your grandpa though...I hope Mengele's right hand man was able to actually keep his right hand.

Anyways....I've been neutral on Sherman's outburst. I get why it aggravates alot of folks, but really it's so common anymore that he's just another in a line of WWE-like personalities littering pro sports.

It is setting the game up nicely with a bad guy vs good guy theme, which adds a little subplot / drama. And that helps, because I'm pretty lukewarm on the game and I have no dog (or overwhelming Manning sentiment) in the fight.

If Peyton wins and rides off into retirement a 2-time champion, great. If Sherman pick-6s him and Seattle wins, and he goes Rowdy Roddy Piper again in a post-game interview, then I guess that's okay too.

In other words...I'm ready for the Colts off-season upgrades to get started.

thug noun \ˈthəg\

easybib_logo.gif

Full Definition of THUG
Examples of THUG
Origin of THUG
Related to THUG

Actually he is a thug.

He beat and robbed Crabtree and the 49er's of their winning touchdown! Which makes him a Football field thug!

But personally... Calling him a thug feels pretty racist to me.  Not even a little bit. I don't recall hearing white NFL players being called thugs. Or maybe they are called thugs and I have not noticed... (Shrugs shoulders)

I don't understand it. He simply isn't a thug at all. Who started calling him a thug in the first place? He might be loud, outspoken, boisterous, cocky, peremptory, arrogant, narcissistic, but not a thug....

Don't get it.

I remember Tedy Bruschi acting similarly after the divisional playoff game against the Colts. I don't remember it being a big deal.

Anyways, thanks for posting this definition. 

I hope Seattle wins! 

Actually he is a thug.

He beat and robbed Crabtree and the 49er's of their winning touchdown! Which makes him a Football field thug!

But personally... Calling him a thug feels pretty racist to me.  Not even a little bit. I don't recall hearing white NFL players being called thugs. Or maybe they are called thugs and I have not noticed... (Shrugs shoulders)

I don't understand it. He simply isn't a thug at all. Who started calling him a thug in the first place? He might be loud, outspoken, boisterous, cocky, peremptory, arrogant, narcissistic, but not a thug....

Don't get it.

I remember Tedy Bruschi acting similarly after the divisional playoff game against the Colts. I don't remember it being a big deal.

Anyways, thanks for posting this definition. 

I hope Seattle wins! 

Well, you opened that door.

door-open-300x286.jpg