Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I can't believe this article on coach killers with Andrew Luck being slammed

chad72

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24409102/coach-killers-week-19-lucks-poor-performance-raises-questions

I really lost it when he said this:

And this latest performance brought out the skeptics, many whom questioned whether we've made too much of Luck's abilities because as it stands, he has one playoff win (just like Tim Tebow!) in three tries.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24409102/coach-killers-week-19-lucks-poor-performance-raises-questions

And this latest performance brought out the skeptics, many whom questioned whether we've made too much of Luck's abilities because as it stands, he has one playoff win (just like Tim Tebow!) in three tries.

Did you finishing reading the entire article?

Did you finishing reading the entire article?

Yeah, it looked like he got his sensationalism out of the way first. Then, he took his not so subtle jabs like "not that I am saying this" but then why even bring it up, is my point.

To finally make it seem like he wants to keep it in perspective, he wrote this:

Put another way: On Saturday, Brady and the Patriots were better than Luck and the Colts. It's not an indictment on Luck's abilities or his future. He had a bad game. It happens.

If he really meant the above that I italicized, he would have prefaced his article with that, not put it down at the end like a consolation prize. At least that is how I see it. He was definitely all over the place, as if wanting to give something for everyone and appease them, those on the Luck's side of the fence and those that are on the fence.

That would be something I expect from Brad Wells, to be honest, lacking thoroughness and consistency.

The Tebow reference was unnecessary and comparing the two is a reach.

The guy did make some good points, our QB has some warts, and many things to work on.

How many 2nd year QB's don't need to grow, Luck has accomplished a lot especially with the supporting cast he has.

I smell sour grapes in this article, but I think we got a keeper!

Well I didn't read the whole article but can tebow get a team two season in a row to 11 wins? Can dalton with a male shift offense and defense get 11 wins in two season coming from a 2-14 season! And we gutted our whole team! Let me name all the names during the manning era that is gone when luck came in. Dallas Clark, Joe let live and die, Jeff Saturday, Pierre garçon, and many more

Yeah, it looked like he got his sensationalism out of the way first. Then, he took his not so subtle jabs like "not that I am saying this" but then why even bring it up, is my point.

To finally make it seem like he wants to keep it in perspective, he wrote this:

Put another way: On Saturday, Brady and the Patriots were better than Luck and the Colts. It's not an indictment on Luck's abilities or his future. He had a bad game. It happens.

If he really meant the above that I italicized, he would have prefaced his article with that, not put it down at the end like a consolation prize. At least that is how I see it. He was definitely all over the place, as if wanting to give something for everyone and appease them, those on the Luck's side of the fence and those that are on the fence.

That would be something I expect from Brad Wells, to be honest, lacking thoroughness and consistency.

I think the article was not very well-written but the point he was trying to make finally was Luck made some typical mistakes by young QBs and his team was not good enough to beat Pats, which I think everybody agrees. And we all know Luck will only get better.

It was much more irritating as some people were comparing Tebow's one playoff win with Manning's zero with Broncos before he won last weekend, and I am sure some people will bring it up next Monday saying "Manning has 1 win in two years, while Tebow has 1 in one year", had Manning lose to Pats this weekend.

On the other hand some people were comparing Luck with Michael Jordan, which to me was even more ridiculous. I believe Luck has the potential to become one of the greatest, but he is still a very young QB and needs time to grow before he can be compared with the greatest of all time.

Another thing on the media is many are comparing Luck with Kaep and Wilson as the two are having more success in the playoff, while for me Luck is the obvious best among young QBs since he has been lifting a much much weaker team compared with the two NFC powerhouses.

How can anyone compare to Luck to Tebow? Luck is better than Tebow anyday. now if in another 4 years this is still a problem then there will be a more valid argument.

There were more people comparing Tebow and Manning on playoff success. People are different.

This guy is obviously not a good journalist.  Did Brad Wells change his name?  Is this CBS Sports.com or Bleacher Report?

The best win some and the best lose some.  I would not trade Luck for any other QB....we will have around 13 more years of success and 1-3 Super Bowls in his tenure... :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!

The only thing I liked in this article was this...although I did not like the snide way it was written;

"By the way, Manning didn't make the playoffs as a rookie with the Colts, and was 0-3 in the postseason until he got his first victory six years into his career, when Indy eventually lost to -- you guessed it -- Tom Brady and New England in the AFC Championship Game.
Despite the setback, things worked out OK for Manning."

We are blessed to have had these two great people lead our Colts!

nfl-indianapolis-colts-logo-blue_1920x12

luck is suppose to be the coach killer when Chuck Pagano still has his job and Mike Shanahan is still looking for one haha Luck is great, it comes down to a mad writer jealous that he is not on his team I bet if luck was on his team this article would not exist  

Luck has had two of the best years of almost any QB I can think of considering the circumstances of coming into a team in transition from 2-14, to two consecutive seasons of 11-4.

As Jvan said, "Haters gonna hate."

I don't think the article is bad at all, it states that Luck had no running game and a D that was pretty bad at stopping Blount, it also brings up Mannings struggles to win his first playoff game. I don't think it was as bad as some of the Skip nonsense though the Tebow reference was pretty, welp let's just say, DERP.. Fact of the matter is he did play bad in the post season.

I agree. But this was from a major network sports page.

If you read the comments, hardly anyone took him seriously.

I honestly don't take any sportswriters seriously. I can listen to many former coaches, players, GM's.......why would I take someone like Peter King or this doofus from cbs sports seriously?

I agree. But this was from a major network sports page.

If you read the comments, hardly anyone took him seriously.

The comments were the first thing I looked for after I read the article ... couldn't find them.  Did they take them down or did you look them up on twitter?

I think a more fair point would be that the more we put the game in Luck's hand...the more we asked him to do...the more mistakes he made. Granted he overcame his mistakes against KC (with a TON of help from his defense in the second half and guys like TY and Rogers making big plays) but again against NE he made a ton of mistakes...4 turnovers. The fact of the matter is we played our best football when we were running the ball and not asking him to carry the offense ala-Peyton Manning. I'm not saying he can't handle it ever..but the reason he had only 9 ints and offense 14 turnovers this year during the regular season and almost half that many in the playoffs can very easily be linked to AL being asked to do more in the offense. The line that was quoted was pretty dumb but to think that Andrew can't be criticized for his play down the stretch I think is not. He made lots of big plays and had some brilliant throws but if he is going to carry the offense on his shoulders...he has to eliminate those bad throws....saying my bad and slapping his head doesn't makeup for the bad throw...it doesn't take them back...in the end he still gives the ball to the other team and hurts the team. No doubt he grows from this...just like Peyton did...but as of right now...we would have a better chance with him managing the game and making some clutch 3rd down throws like he did against SF,SEA,DEN

There is always a double standard for QBs.  Luck will throw 4 interceptions and people will come to his defense being a second year QB.  If Coby Fleener, a second year tight end, drops  a pass, he is a bust.

Apples and oranges. If Coby Fleener has multi TD games, catches 2 or 3 game winning passes for TDs in a year, and then drops 1 or 2, it would be different. It is the success you have had prior to your failures that buys equity in the eyes of fans. Fair or not, that is just how it works.

Luck touches the ball every down and thus has more chances to win it and more chances to blow it. So, far he has won more than blown more. Fleener, on the other hand, showed improvement but with Allen and Wayne down, his production ceiling could have been better, IMO. If that is going to be the best possible ceiling, we might have to temper expectations.

However, next year will be year 3 for Fleener, which is the year most TEs start shining. We will see how he does. He will never be a Gronkowski but he can become a Jimmy Graham, the true receiving TE we want him to be. The year when he consistently beats 1-on-1s, burns them for 10 TDs or 1000 yards (one of them will be a good reflection of an elite TE), is when we can put him in the same class as the elite TEs.

Again, for the Colts sake, I will give him the benefit of doubt and be patient.

Luck has had two of the best years of almost any QB I can think of considering the circumstances of coming into a team in transition from 2-14, to two consecutive seasons of 11-4.

As Jvan said, "Haters gonna hate."

I don't think the article is bad at all, it states that Luck had no running game and a D that was pretty bad at stopping Blount, it also brings up Mannings struggles to win his first playoff game. I don't think it was as bad as some of the Skip nonsense though the Tebow reference was pretty, welp let's just say, DERP.. Fact of the matter is he did play bad in the post season.

I felt like he did not play his best ball also, but that comeback has give some colts fans a great outlook for the future not a lot of quarterbacks could have done that in the playoffs

I would judge Luck the same way I would judge Richardson. If you put a for sale sign around his neck at the end of the season would other teams come knocking at your door.

Texans got the first overall, I am sure we could get that and whatever other picks they have this year and probably a bunch next year for Luck.

Look at Peyton's performance in the 2003 AFC title game ...... Nobody is questioning him now.

Here's what I always think of when it comes to quarterbacks...how many other teams in the NFL would like to have Andrew Luck as their QB? I think you could safely say that there are about 20 plus teams that would take Andrew Luck over their current starter and another handful that I didn't count that would consider having him because of his young age and potential over their current starter. So, to compare Luck with Tebow is ridiculous. I didn't read the article, just your quote. Here's the best unbiased opinion that I have on Luck right now, he is one of the best 3 young quarterbacks in the league right now and top 10 overall in the NFL right now. The Patriots game showed he isn't perfect but at the same time he was under a ton of pressure almost every time he dropped back. Give him the offensive lines and defenses possessed in SF and Seattle and his numbers would be scary. Not to mention the running games both of those teams have compared to our lousy running game and at times our poor defense.

I honestly don't take any sportswriters seriously. I can listen to many former coaches, players, GM's.......why would I take someone like Peter King or this doofus from cbs sports seriously?

Thank you....and allow me to give a dishonorable mention to the non-athlete, size 6-shoed Bob Costas as well.

To be honest, I don't think it's even fair to compare Luck vs Brady in that game. To win, Luck obviously had to take over the game where as Brady had to only be a "game manager" as they say. But anyone who watched that game and the KC game could tell you this:

1. Luck has a stronger arm than Brady

2. Luck is way more athletic than Brady

3. Luck is every bit as clutch as Brady

4. Brady makes better reads than Luck

I think Luck is ahead of Brady and Manning if you compare where he is now to where they were in the 2nd years of their career. This doesn't mean he's guaranteed to wind up better than them, but it certainly means he's got a good shot. I recall Trent Dilfer saying (after last year) that an NFL GM (I think he said it was a GM, not positive) told him that Luck was already the best player in the NFL.