Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

(HOU)Mario Williams DE moved 2 linebacker Good or Bad???

coltsuser21

Houston Texans new Defense coash Rob Ryan(Rex Ryans brother) said he is going to move DE Mario Williams to outside linebacker and test him at that postion on Colts in week 1

Is this good or bad?????

....Don't you mean defensive coordinator Wade Phillips?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/05/texans-plan-to-use-mario-williams-at-outside-linebacker/

It's Wade Phillips not Rob Ryan, and I think it's going to take Mario quite a bit of time for him to get used to playing linebacker, but I think it may help them in the long run. I don't think that the Texans are a contender yet, but in 2 or 3 years, they can definitely win our division.

This is going to be interesting. People say he will use Mario Williams like he did DeMarcus Ware, constantly rushing the passer. During his time in Dallas, Ware probably dropped back in coverage like 6 times. It'll be interesting to see how he does moving in space instead of with his hand in the dirt.

Yeah, when I saw Rob Ryan I was like "Wha, I thought Wade Phillips went to the Texans," lol.

I think it will be interesting. He will still be a beast pass rusher, which will be basically all he will be doing. I know one thing. Houston's LB corp is going to be scary. Pass rushing beast, a tackling machine, and a juiced out monster, lol.

It's Wade Phillips not Rob Ryan, and I think it's going to take Mario quite a bit of time for him to get used to playing linebacker, but I think it may help them in the long run. I don't think that the Texans are a contender yet, but in 2 or 3 years, they can definitely win our division.

They Can Win It Any Year You Don't Have To Be All That On Paper To Win The Division Seahawks ...

But Overall I Think The Mario Move To Linebacker Is Going To Pan Out As Good & Bad He Will Help In Pass Coverage But They Will Lose Pass Rush

Does That Make Sense lol

They Can Win It Any Year You Don't Have To Be All That On Paper To Win The Division Seahawks ...

But Overall I Think The Mario Move To Linebacker Is Going To Pan Out As Good & Bad He Will Help In Pass Coverage But They Will Lose Pass Rush

Does That Make Sense lol

Honestly I think you have it backwards a bit. I think their pass rush is going to be more formidable, but from the LB spot I think the coverage is going to be much weaker. Who knows though.

Does That Make Sense lol

how could a defensive end with no pass coverage training really help their pass coverage...?

I was lucky enough to see this guy play a handful of games NCS. At 6'6" and 295 lbs, I think its a brilliant move for Houston. This guy is an incredible athlete and while he may not do wonders for the pass coverage he will make an large impact as a pass rusher and run stuffer (non stop blitzing)

I personally think this was a move to help them stop Backs such as CJ and MJD. They know if they can limit the ability of these backs that they face twice a year each, that it will only improve the chances for Houston to finally make that play off run.

This is going to be interesting. People say he will use Mario Williams like he did DeMarcus Ware, constantly rushing the passer. During his time in Dallas, Ware probably dropped back in coverage like 6 times. It'll be interesting to see how he does moving in space instead of with his hand in the dirt.

exactly he has just as much talent as ware at pass rushing so, i personally think it will work out. He will get his 10-12 sacks if its in a defensive stace or upright.

I am guardedly optimistic about the move because Mario more looks the part (A slimmer looking 285) and he's always had the speed and athleticism. The question is how much of the transition comes naturally and how much he has to dedicate lots of work of the flaws from his new spot.

NT is a position that scares me much much more than Mario at OLB.