Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Draft Simulator

I did this and got these results. It's hard to draft without knowing what we get in free agency. I know we'll have a decent amount of cap space this off season and I'm hoping we can address some of our big issues, mainly the offensive line.

ILB SHAYNE SKOV
STANFORD
DE ED STINSON
ALABAMA
S HAKEEM SMITH
LOUISVILLE
WR SHAQ EVANS
UCLA
OG JON HALAPIO
FLORIDA

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming Grigson takes care of OL in FA ...

57 - round #2

WR KELVIN BENJAMIN

FLORIDA STATE

He is moving up the draft boards pretty fast so I doubt we will get him here. But, if he is there I don't see how we can't take him.

91 - round #3

S DION BAILEY

USC

Some are projecting him to ILB in the NFL.  He has performed well at linebacker in the past, I think he and Freeman would make a good ILB tandem and he will give us that coverage ability from the ILB position we have been lacking.

153 - round #5

CB VICTOR HAMPTON

SOUTH CAROLINA

Many reports say he is very physical and has shut down potential, but is still a little raw.  If he has as much potential as advertised I think Pagano can turn him into that shutdown corner we need across from VD.

187 - round #6

DE JOSH MAURO

STANFORD

We need someone to groom to take over for Redding .... I have not seen much of him myself but according to NCF he is a sleeper with a lot of potential ... if so he is a steal in the 6th round.

209 - round #7

CB RICARDO ALLEN

Purdue

His confidence and "my ball" mentality remind of Tyrann Mathieu, but without all the baggage.  He would be dangerous as our Nickel/Dime back and add needed talented depth to the CB position.

If we actually got this draft + signed Mack I would be 100% cool with our offense. Use the rest of the FA money on defense.

YOUR PICKS

GABE JACKSON
MISSISSIPPI STATE

WR DONTE MONCRIEF
MISSISSIPPI

DT CALVIN BARNETT
OKLAHOMA STATE

CB VICTOR HAMPTON
SOUTH CAROLINA

OT KEVIN GRAF
USC

They say it updates every Tuesday, so here's my latest attempt:

CB KYLE FULLER

VIRGINIA TECH

Analysis given in previous mocks.  I'm starting to really like this guy

DT KELCY QUARLES
SOUTH CAROLINA

I went for the trenches here.  Redding is getting up there in age and I wasn't overly impressed by Moala this year.  Mathews is also iffy to me, so I invested in a DL

WR CODY HOFFMAN
BYU

The second I started reading up info on Hoffman, I became a fan.  He comes across as a hard worker and could be another good possession type receiver with good size to boot.

S ANTHONY HARRIS
VIRGINIA

I think we need safety depth because we can't rely on Landry to stay healthy and I'm not sure if Bethea will be back.  Harris seems like a solid player

DT RYAN CARRETHERS
ARKANSAS STATE

I was stuck here between Carrethers and Khairi Fortt from Cal.  I like both guys, but I think NT is a bigger need for us

The website is completely addictive....    lots of fun...

That said....

It also reminds me of the old saying, often associated with computers....     "Garbage in.    Garbage out."

So,  I think there are any number of bad evaluations on players and where they might go.   So, I'm not sure if any of us are getting a very accurate picture at where these players are going to get drafted.

I'm modestly hopeful that those who run the website will update evaluations (some higher, some lower) to increase accuracy and probability....

The latest example...   I ran a 7-round simulation this morning, and Stanford OT Cam Fleming, who left school after 4-years, but had another year where he could've played,  went in the 2nd round in my simulation -- and not to me!

The Stanford community does not see Fleming as an NFL tackle.  They see him moving inside to RG.   He probably would've lost his starting RT job had he stayed at Stanford and that's why he left to the pros.    The community sees Cam going in the 6th or 7th round.    That's our speculation.      Bottom line:  he's NOT a 2nd round player.

I know it's only one example, but there are many others...

The game is lots and lots of fun.....   but please take all results with a large grain of salt!

#2 DE-Michael Sam Missouri (BPA)

#3 ILB-Chris Borland Wisconsin (BPA)

#5 S-Hakeem Smith Louisville (BPA/need)

#6 G-Wesley Johnson Vanderbilt (need)

#7 OLB- Devon Kennard USC (need)

I chose not to go for marquee positions given our limited number of draft selections and instead tried to bolster our roster. As you can see I thought defense first, but wanted a later round developmental guard, I would have preferred a center, but there wasn't one that ranked high enough on the simulator to draft without a strong reach. I wanted to go this direction in round #5 however Smith was still setting there and was ranked by the simulator nearly 20 positions higher than the next available player....I just couldn't resist. With Thomas and Thornton healthy (fingers crossed) next season, our true weakness on the O-line is at Center.....but some decent depth never hurts.

This week's attempt:

DT EGO FERGUSON
LSU

I like him as a DE prospect.  I don't think he's big enough to be a NT, but I like him to take the reps of Moala and Mathews.   And Redding isn't getting any younger.

DT DANIEL MCCULLERS
TENNESSEE

I love his size.  He's huge!!  I think he and Chapman could be a very good NT tandem.  I don't like picking the same position twice in a row, as I went DL in rounds 2 and 3, but those were the guys who I felt were the best players available at that time.

S HAKEEM SMITH
LOUISVILLE

I'm not sure what the management will do with Bethea.  And Landry is injury prone.  He brings some depth to the safety spot.

WR CODY HOFFMAN
BYU

See my previous mocks for analysis.  I love this guy!

OLB DENICOS ALLEN
MICHIGAN STATE

He's simply a play-maker.  I picked him in an earlier draft, so better analysis is in a previous post.  His size is a little weird (not quite LB, not quite DB), but all he does is make plays.  He's a football player.

DT AARON DONALD

PITTSBURGH

DE who can get to the QB, adds some pass rush and penetration to our D line.

ILB YAWIN SMALLWOOD

UCONN

Solid ILB who can play passing downs and develop hopefully in to a 3 down LB.

RB DE’ANTHONY THOMAS

OREGON

Offensive weapon, speed at RB, slot receiver and returner.

DT DEANDRE COLEMAN

CALIFORNIA

Big body for the d line.

WR CODY HOFFMAN

BYU

Development WR.

Also done this one today:

S ED REYNOLDS
STANFORD
​Best player available at this pick, fixes safety need.

CB KYLE FULLER
VIRGINIA TECH
CB to start opposite Davis.

CB KEITH MCGILL
UTAH
BPA couldn't turn him down here, cut Toler and spend the money elsewhere.

WR CODY HOFFMAN
BYU
Big target as 5th choice WR

RB DRI ARCHER
KENT STATE
Fast RB/KR/WR.

Just played this game again....   and got my "too good to be true, it'll never happen in a million years" draft....

All of my picks I think will go a round before we can draft them.... 

NOTE:   I don't know why some of the numbers are not aligning properly, but I think you can figure them out without too much trouble...

DT RA’SHEDE HAGEMAN
   MINNESOTA

DT KELCY QUARLES
SOUTH CAROLINA

CB KEITH MCGILL
   UTAH

OG RYAN GROY
WISCONSIN

WR CODY HOFFMAN
   BYU

I just played this game. I got all the picks I wanted, and some fell farther than I expected. Here are my picks:

ILB CHRISTIAN JONES                      59

FLORIDA STATE

CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE      90

NEBRASKA

WR T.J. JONES                                  154

NOTRE DAME

ZACH FULTON                               187

TENNESSEE

DT BRUCE GASTON                          209

PURDUE

I did the draft a second time, and I'm pretty happy with the results. Like the first time I drafted, lots of talent fell to lower rounds.

Here are my picks: 

WR JORDAN MATTHEWS  59
VANDERBILT

ILB CHRISTIAN JONES     90
FLORIDA STATE

DT DEANDRE COLEMAN  154
CALIFORNIA

TRAI TURNER   187
LSU

CB RICARDO ALLEN  209
PURDUE

R2

CYRIL RICHARDSON
BAYLOR
R3

CB KEITH MCGILL
UTAH
R5

HAKEEM SMITH
LOUISVILLE
R6

DT RYAN CARRETHERS
ARKANSAS STATE
R7

WR CODY HOFFMAN
BYU

Cyril Richardson - a good OG that could immediately bolster our pathetic O-line. I feel that if we draft him, sign Brian De La Puente in free agency, and get Donald Thomas back from injury our O-line woes will be fixed (I'd want to sign a backup T for depth as well). This move adds to our depth too, because we will now have Hugh Thorton to develop and back up at G and Holmes at backup C.

Keith McGill - has tremendous size for a CB and may be able match up well against a lot of the big NFL star receivers. Has adequate speed and pretty good skills. Toughness has been brought up as a question with him and he's not a guaranteed hit, but a CB who is 6'3" and well skilled could wind up being a really effective match-up for the bigger receivers that are becoming so popular in today's NFL.

Hakeem Smith - A skilled S that is likely to be availible in round 5. I believe he has what it takes to start at the NFL level, even if it's not immediately.

Rumor has it we don't really have a 6th round pick...

Cody Hoffman - A big WR who would be a steal in the 7th round. We'd be all set at WR for next year with his addition bringing some more depth. With Reggie coming back, I'd hold off on bringing in a big name or high draft pick until next year where I think we should pick up a WR in the first round.

This one was done on first-pick.com (yeah they offer a lot of trades lol)

Your score is: 3907 (Drafting Ability: B, Player Quality A, Future Draft Picks: N/A) 

Your Picks:
Round 3 Pick 1 (HOU): E.J. Gaines, CB, Missouri (B+)
Round 3 Pick 30 (S.F.): Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut (A)
Round 4 Pick 5 (JAX): Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn (A)
Round 4 Pick 6 (CLE): Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss (A)
Round 4 Pick 25 (S.D.): Brandon Linder, OG, Miami (Fla.) (B+)
Round 4 Pick 26 (N.O.): Bryan Stork, C, Florida State (A)
Round 4 Pick 27 (CLE): Dominique Easley, DT, Florida (A)
Round 4 Pick 28 (CAR): Marqueston Huff, FS, Wyoming (A)
Round 5 Pick 4 (JAX): Brandon Thomas, OG, Clemson (B-)
Round 5 Pick 26: Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton (A)
Round 5 Pick 28 (CAR): Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (B)
Round 6 Pick 25 (S.D.): Deandre Coleman, DT, California (C+)
Round 6 Pick 27: Vinnie Sunseri, SS, Alabama (B+)
Round 7 Pick 16: Devon Kennard, OLB, Southern California (B-)

For my birthday,  the old man decided to give himself a present....   so, I played tonight...   and got my highest score yet...  breaking the 4,000 point barrier.    Don't know how others are scoring so much more, but I'm not even close to the top-20 scores by Colts' fans....

The one area I didn't hit tonight, was ILB,  but only because I either wasn't offered anyone when my turn came around, or the players I was offered I wasn't all that interested in...    go figure?!

Here's my draft list tonight....

Your score is: 4045 (Drafting Ability: B, Player Quality A, Future Draft Picks: N/A) 

Your Picks:
Round 3 Pick 8 (MINN): Kelcy Quarles, DT, South Carolina (A-)
Round 3 Pick 30 (S.F.): Terrence Brooks, FS, Florida State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 32 (MINN): Carl Bradford, OLB, Arizona State (A)
Round 4 Pick 1 (HOU): Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado (A)
Round 4 Pick 8 (MINN): Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn (A-)
Round 4 Pick 29 (S.F.): Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss (A)
Round 5 Pick 8 (MINN): Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech (A-)
Round 5 Pick 21 (G.B.): Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State (A-)
Round 5 Pick 26: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska (A)
Round 5 Pick 28 (CAR): Ty Zimmerman, FS, Kansas State (B)
Round 6 Pick 27: James Stone, C, Tennessee (A-)
Round 6 Pick 29 (S.F.): Cameron Fleming, OT, Stanford (B)
Round 7 Pick 26 (S.F.): Alden Darby, SS, Arizona State (A)
Round 7 Pick 27 (S.F.): De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon (A-)

And my birthday bash continues with the other simulator on FanSpeak....

Here's my 5-round draft....    4 layers of defense plus a local WR....

DT KELCY QUARLES
SOUTH CAROLINA

ILB YAWIN SMALLWOOD
UCONN

CB BASHAUD BREELAND
CLEMSON

TY ZIMMERMAN
KANSAS STATE

WR CODY LATIMER
INDIANA

here's one from first-pick where I didn't make any trades at all.  PS. I'm assuming the OL will get taken care of in FA and hopefully ILB as well because I didn't get a chance at any I liked.  Smallwood was taken one pick ahead of my 3rd rd pick. 

Your score is: 2945 (Drafting Ability: C+, Player Quality C-, Future Draft Picks: N/A) 

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 27: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh (A-)
Round 3 Pick 26: Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn (A-)
Round 5 Pick 26: Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (A-)
Round 6 Pick 27: Deandre Coleman, DT, California (B-)
Round 7 Pick 16: Alden Darby, SS, Arizona State (B+)