Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Championship Game is set (Average Joe's)

Dustin

Next draft is affected by this season results, keepers or both?

Let's say I won the league and keep no players and someone keeps two first round caliber players. How is next year's draft order established?

The draft order will be Andy's decision but this is how I have seen it happen in keeper leagues I have participated.

Draft order in a keeper league till the players are equalized (first 2 rounds in this case) is normally in reverse order of previous year's standings (12 to 1), based on my experience. So, let us say you have no keepers (#1 player), and #5, #6, and #8 have no keepers. Then, let us say, #2, #7, #9, #10, #11, #12 have 1 keeper.

Then, the draft order will be in round 1: #8, #6, #5, #1

Then, the draft order for round 2 will be: #12, #11, #10, #9, #8, #7, #6, #5, #2, #1

After the first 2 rounds, it will continue that way in a snake fashion (meaning 12 to 1 and 1 to 12 in rounds 3 & 4 and so on.. from that point onwards), it is just that the first 2 rounds normally goes in reverse order of previous year's standings. This is mainly done because the previous year has a bearing on the current draft and the number of keepers are not always equal, hence the need for a non-snake fashion in the first 2 rounds till players are equalized. So, the player who has retained 2 first round caliber players will have no pick in the first 2 rounds.

But, as I said, Andy has the final say here. I would however like the draft to be extended to 16 rounds so that the impact of the snake draft is equalized till the end.

Next draft is affected by this season results, keepers or both?

Let's say I won the league and keep no players and someone keeps two first round caliber players. How is next year's draft order established?

The draft order will be Andy's decision but this is how I have seen it happen in keeper leagues I have participated.

Draft order in a keeper league till the players are equalized (first 2 rounds in this case) is normally in reverse order of previous year's standings (12 to 1), based on my experience. So, let us say you have no keepers (#1 player), and #5, #6, and #8 have no keepers. Then, let us say, #2, #7, #9, #10, #11, #12 have 1 keeper.

Then, the draft order will be in round 1: #8, #6, #5, #1

Then, the draft order for round 2 will be: #12, #11, #10, #9, #8, #7, #6, #5, #2, #1

After the first 2 rounds, it will continue that way in a snake fashion (meaning 12 to 1 and 1 to 12 in rounds 3 & 4 and so on.. from that point onwards), it is just that the first 2 rounds normally goes in reverse order of previous year's standings. This is mainly done because the previous year has a bearing on the current draft and the number of keepers are not always equal, hence the need for a non-snake fashion in the first 2 rounds till players are equalized. So, the player who has retained 2 first round caliber players will have no pick in the first 2 rounds.

But, as I said, Andy has the final say here. I would however like the draft to be extended to 16 rounds so that the impact of the snake draft is equalized till the end.

Well the order itself is based on the previous year's standings. If you finished in last, you get the first pick. 

When it comes to keepers and keeping one or no players, here's how it lays out. Let's just say Team 12, Team 9, Team 5, and Team 4 all keep one player and Team 2 keeps no players. It will look like this:

1st Round

Round 2

Round 3

That's how it would look. Hope that helps. In terms of the caliber of the players, it does not matter, and it wlll not affect the draft round. You keep two players, you lose the first two rounds. 

Well the order itself is based on the previous year's standings. If you finished in last, you get the first pick. 

When it comes to keepers and keeping one or no players, here's how it lays out. Let's just say Team 12, Team 9, Team 5, and Team 4 all keep one player and Team 2 keeps no players. It will look like this:

1st Round

Round 2

Round 3

That's how it would look. Hope that helps. In terms of the caliber of the players, it does not matter, and it wlll not affect the draft round. You keep two players, you lose the first two rounds. 

Thanks for clarifying, Andy.

Just to make sure, it is in reverse order of how you finished after the postseason and not the regular season, correct? Just like the NFL?

Correct.

Ok, One question that affects only the Joe's..the two teams that moved up obviously would take over 11 and 12 in the Elite league. What spots are you going to put the bottom 2 teams from the Elite league that move down to the Joe's league? Just curious, because if you put them at the top, that moves me to 10th pick (not position), since I ended up third in the league and the top 2 moved up. Or, are you going to move them to the bottom, which would move me to the 12 pick (not position). Just curious so I know where I'll be drafting next year.

Ok, One question that affects only the Joe's..the two teams that moved up obviously would take over 11 and 12 in the Elite league. What spots are you going to put the bottom 2 teams from the Elite league that move down to the Joe's league? Just curious, because if you put them at the top, that moves me to 10th pick (not position), since I ended up third in the league and the top 2 moved up. Or, are you going to move them to the bottom, which would move me to the 12 pick (not position). Just curious so I know where I'll be drafting next year.

Just to clarify another potential question first, the 11th place player will take over the team he wants, and the 12th place guy will take the other team. They'll have the option of taking two keepers, with the option of one or none.

As for your question Ray, they will take over the 11 and 12 picks in the draft. You'll stay at 10, although that's interesting what you said. I'm going to leave it at what I said for now, but I'm open to discussion. I believe the two players moving down at hillbilliesfromhell (John Doe) and Fx Stryker.

Still plenty of time before the draft.

• 2 weeks later...

New to the forum, just a question: How long have you guys been doing this league? Also may I be able to join this upcoming season or is the league full?

It started 2 years ago with one league..Last year, it expanded to two leagues..The Elite league, consisting of players from that previous year, and the Joe's league, newcomers to the Forum, or less experienced players. Andy runs both leagues, and this year had the bottom 2 teams moving to the Joe's league, and the top 2 move into the Elite League. It is also going to be made into a keeper league, though the final settings on how that will be handled will happen will be decided early this fall around training camp time.

I don't think we would have enough DEDICATED people to start a 3rd league, if we do that would be a possibility, Only, knowing Andy's schedule, someone like myself, who was the co-commish of the Joe's league could make up a third. I think there was another league as well, but I think those were for some old timers, that had one going from years ago, but weren't affiliated with the ones Andy set up.

I think that there was another group people came up with, but I don't remember who ran it, how it went,,,etc.

Last year, I know in our league, one person quit, and we had him replaced with another Forum member, who too over his team.

Right now, its still too early to know who all is coming back..as of right now, everyone is planning on being back,..If you want to be considered to possibly fill in if there are any openings, send me an in game PM, and cc Andy. That way, you would be first on the list, if someone decides that they can't play this year. Just remember, if you take over a team, there will be either 0,1, or 2 keepers. Its not going to be a fresh draft in Eilte or Joe's....And, this is the most important thing..If you show you aren't working your team, you will be warned, then if it happens again, you will be asked to leave, depending on the situation..We only want active members that are dedicated to their teams..makes it more fun for all of us..

Its way down the road..but thanks for asking about it..Our two leagues are really competitive, even between each other...it was one of the best years I had playing, in terms of people in the league..

Post again more towards the beginning of pre-season...and we'll see where we stand... Thanks for the interest. You'll be kept in mind..

NOTE: We also run a FORUM pick'em contest every year..it kinda dwindled off this past year, but I'm sure it will be back again this year...Just keep an eye on this board, and the NFL general section for more details..

It started 2 years ago with one league..Last year, it expanded to two leagues..The Elite league, consisting of players from that previous year, and the Joe's league, newcomers to the Forum, or less experienced players. Andy runs both leagues, and this year had the bottom 2 teams moving to the Joe's league, and the top 2 move into the Elite League. It is also going to be made into a keeper league, though the final settings on how that will be handled will happen will be decided early this fall around training camp time.

I don't think we would have enough DEDICATED people to start a 3rd league, if we do that would be a possibility, Only, knowing Andy's schedule, someone like myself, who was the co-commish of the Joe's league could make up a third. I think there was another league as well, but I think those were for some old timers, that had one going from years ago, but weren't affiliated with the ones Andy set up.

I think that there was another group people came up with, but I don't remember who ran it, how it went,,,etc.

Last year, I know in our league, one person quit, and we had him replaced with another Forum member, who too over his team.

Right now, its still too early to know who all is coming back..as of right now, everyone is planning on being back,..If you want to be considered to possibly fill in if there are any openings, send me an in game PM, and cc Andy. That way, you would be first on the list, if someone decides that they can't play this year. Just remember, if you take over a team, there will be either 0,1, or 2 keepers. Its not going to be a fresh draft in Eilte or Joe's....And, this is the most important thing..If you show you aren't working your team, you will be warned, then if it happens again, you will be asked to leave, depending on the situation..We only want active members that are dedicated to their teams..makes it more fun for all of us..

Its way down the road..but thanks for asking about it..Our two leagues are really competitive, even between each other...it was one of the best years I had playing, in terms of people in the league..

Post again more towards the beginning of pre-season...and we'll see where we stand... Thanks for the interest. You'll be kept in mind..

NOTE: We also run a FORUM pick'em contest every year..it kinda dwindled off this past year, but I'm sure it will be back again this year...Just keep an eye on this board, and the NFL general section for more details..

Thanks buddy, I will keep this in mind, though I dont know how to send an "in game PM" or "cc" somebody lol. Sorry, brand new to everything related to this forum business. I would be dedicated though, you wont have to worry about that.

Pretty much that. Just to clarify, we were actually 3 leagues last year and that was a lot.

The system we have right now is perfect if you ask me, having the Joes and Elite league and the ways one can get into the other.

Like TY Goodbye said, we are very competitive and we want guys who are going to update their lineups, make transactions and most importantly care about their team.

neckbeard94, you will be put on a waiting list, and we'll be coming back to you in a few months, after we find out who's still in and who's out.