Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton's glove hand

oldunclemark

This might be an obvious question but...

Why does Peyton Manning wear a glove on the throwing hand but not on the other hand.

Wouldn't it makes sense to wear he glove on the left and throw with the bare hand?

Is there such a thing as a heated glove?  Like the heat packs you break open and they stay warm for a couple of hours.

Is there a glove like that?

temp131201_manning_cp--nfl_mezz_1280_102

Maybe...Nadine....and Ive seen QBs wear glove son BOTH hands..

but in my vast football experience :D  you'd cover the hand you're NOT using....and you need the bare hand for accuracy.

Clearly, the old country boy doesnt feel that way.

I know he's got some heat device in his pockets..because his hands are always in his pockets...Tom Brady does that, too.

When the temperatuires are below freezing, do they keep the football heated on the sidelines?

Are you serious Mark? They talk about this in every game. It is all about grip - or rather the reduced ability to grip with his weakened right arm. Warming the left hand is about as relevant as warming his left earlobe.

This has been evident since late last season and into the playoff game. Big deal when he first tried it - because one would think that the impediment of the glove would make throwing more difficult. But he practiced with it and found it effective, so no surprise that he has returned to it in cold weather this year.

By the way, I've wondered about the grip issue with every fumble this year.

MAN man.... You're making my point and asking MY question....

If a glove helps you grip the ball...why on earth wouldn't you wear 2 of them,?

..and is the glove heated like the heat packs hunters use. is that allowed?.

How do you make a 'touch' throw when you glove over your touch....I assume he doesn't wear on eon the left hand so he can hold the ball naturally?

See what I'm saying.

Is there even such a thing as a glove which is heated in the fingers and the palm...

How do you make a 'touch' throw when you glove over your touch....I assume he doesn't wear on eon the left hand so he can hold the ball naturally?

See what I'm saying.

Is there even such a thing as a glove which is heated in the fingers and the palm...

He handles the ball with his throwing hand. He throws the ball with his throwing hand. It's the hand that requires extra grip. It's also the hand that was affected by the nerve damage.

And, like was said earlier, other QBs have worn a glove only on the throwing hand. Some wear it only on the non throwing hand. Some wear it on both hands.

kyleorton1.jpg

murrayphoto3.JPG

1240411.jpg

Roethlisberger-fractured-thumb-vs-Bengal

I've thrown a football with a glove. It takes some getting used to, but it doesn't make it any more difficult. You have to have the right fit and the right glove, though.

Different gloves for receivers, ,RBs and QBs, right?

..are there any rules on what you can and cant wear. Can a running back wear big oven mitts to hood the ball?

Seriiusly

He handles the ball with his throwing hand. He throws the ball with his throwing hand. It's the hand that requires extra grip. It's also the hand that was affected by the nerve damage.

And, like was said earlier, other QBs have worn a glove only on the throwing hand. Some wear it only on the non throwing hand. Some wear it on both hands.

kyleorton1.jpg

murrayphoto3.JPG

1240411.jpg

Roethlisberger-fractured-thumb-vs-Bengal

There's a whole glove culture here.

Gonna come into play this week..Its cold everywhere...maybe freezing rain for Colts-Cincinatti

See what I'm saying.

It never occurred to me that any player would be using any artificial heating device on the field of play. I didn't think that there was anything in the pockets much less in the gloves.

It's not like they are wandering into an army/navy store and grabbing a pair of slippery 20 year old one-size-fits-all mittens. I assume that the gloves are near form fitting, and when pulled tight (which he does repeatedly) feel like a second skin, and are made of a material that (while not overtly sticky) doesn't slide on the ball. Clearly it's more comfortable for him than being barehanded, and it obviously improves circulation. I wouldn't mind having a pair like that for driving.

As far as why keep the second hand bare, who knows. Common sense suggests that perhaps the glove is better than a weakened hand, but not as good as a healthy hand. Perhaps he doesn't want to be perceived as any "weaker" than he absolutely has to. Mother nature is invigorating.

Are you serious Mark? They talk about this in every game. It is all about grip - or rather the reduced ability to grip with his weakened right arm. Warming the left hand is about as relevant as warming his left earlobe.

This has been evident since late last season and into the playoff game. Big deal when he first tried it - because one would think that the impediment of the glove would make throwing more difficult. But he practiced with it and found it effective, so no surprise that he has returned to it in cold weather this year.

By the way, I've wondered about the grip issue with every fumble this year.

Why does Peyton Manning wear a glove on the throwing hand but not on the other hand.

Wouldn't it makes sense to wear he glove on the left and throw with the bare hand?

Is there such a thing as a heated glove?  Like the heat packs you break open and they stay warm for a couple of hours.

I imagine he can hold on better with the glove.Don't they all do that?

Sorry no time to get article and link for below but do reproduce 2 glove questions after my initial response from Peytons interview yesterday with a link -- note please read my post MISC thread link far below to understand why this will be only comment and no quoted will be commented back if any, any why will be here rarely from now on

Peyton wore a glove on both hands only in New England he said in an interview recently as was so cold and first game like that

The glove on his throwing hand is specifically designed to fit him tightly ,made to order & is supposed  to help with grip so his hand docent get as numb as otherwise would with cold & medical issues

by providing proitrection from elements, not with a heating device ,

not that it has any special heating proiperties etrc etc, u may notice at times he pulls on the glove during a game as g he says he is  trying to get the tightest fit possible as thats when he can throw with better grip on ball for accuracy

=============

​YESTERDAY INTERVIEW

Below are more highlights from Manning's Wednesday press conference:

On if wearing a glove has been a game-changer for him
“It’s just part of the adjustment I’ve kind of had to make. I’ve said that I’ve had to make a lot of changes in this point in my career. I’m kind of coming off an injury and different team. It’s just been part of the adjustment so I don’t know what game changer really means exactly, but it’s part of the adjustment that I’ve made and tried to adjust and still working through it kind of each time that I wear it.”

On if he has tried various types of gloves
“I’ve experimented with them throughout my career even when I was in Indy. I never just quite found a pair that I liked so I finally found a pair that I liked. (Equipment Manager Chris Valenti) ‘Flip’ and (Assistant Equipment Manager Mike Harrington) ‘Harry,’ the equipment guys kind of researched and gave me some options. Found a pair that I liked.”

Yes the below is from same interview and belongs in another thread , if anyonme has time or moderator please move it, sorry i have no time - read Misc Thread if care why

On if he is eyeing the single-season touchdown passing record of 50 set by QB Tom Brady in 2007

where our focus is and certainly our job as an offense to try to score points and that’s running the ball throwing the ball whatever it is somehow someway we got to try to score points to help our team win. That’s where the focus is and it’s pretty easy just to focus on that 

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-Roll-with-the-Punches/dd034729-5268-4051-b940-c82aded3cec7

please read my Misc Thread

Dear Friends please read when can

http://forums.colts.com/topic/23594-dear-friends-please-read-when-can/

Edited by Superman
formatting

I would guess he also wears it even if it's not cold so that he doesn't have to constantly adjust to wearing it and not wearing it. 

It's just a matter of getting used to it. Prior to going on some climbing trips in my 20s I'd wear my giant insulated mitts around the house so that it wasn't foreign to me on the mountain and so I could "practice" getting accustomed. It's not easy to tie climbing knots in thick, heavy mittens!

its 3 degrees in practice today so he is wearing a glove on both hands, if not freezing like in Pats game , will only wear on right hand

As one might expect in these weather conditions, Manning sported two gloves — and an ankle brace — throughout the media-viewing period.

Read more: Peyton Manning returns to frigid Broncos practice - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24662048/peyton-manning-returns-frigid-broncos-practice#ixzz2mdFOEG4I 

Maybe...Nadine....and Ive seen QBs wear glove son BOTH hands..

but in my vast football experience :D  you'd cover the hand you're NOT using....and you need the bare hand for accuracy.

Clearly, the old country boy doesnt feel that way.

I know he's got some heat device in his pockets..because his hands are always in his pockets...Tom Brady does that, too.

When the temperatuires are below freezing, do they keep the football heated on the sidelines?

no that's not allowed.

its 3 degrees in practice today so he is wearing a glove on both hands, if not freezing like in Pats game , will only wear on right hand

As one might expect in these weather conditions, Manning sported two gloves — and an ankle brace — throughout the media-viewing period.

Read more: Peyton Manning returns to frigid Broncos practice - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24662048/peyton-manning-returns-frigid-broncos-practice#ixzz2mdFOEG4I 

It will be interesting to watch Manning the rest of this season in freezing temps. I wonder about his ankle as much as his arm/hand.

He has two more games in Denver and then of course the playoffs whiich most likely will go through Denver and then the SB in NY at night. He will have to string to together several good performances in cold temps to get to the finish line.

Maybe he is Dr. Strangelove . . . :yay:

Seriously, he must find that it works . . . why QBs do not wear one on the no throwing hand might have something to do with they want to have two grip types, just in case the gloves get wet and slippery they have a hand to help secure the ball and perhaps too, the non glove had will be free to help tighten the glove on the glove hand . . . most of us can relate to trying to adjust a glove with and without a glove on the other hand . . . also as we Peyton adjusting the glove at each snap to insure it is tight, one would want a free hand with some many adjustments per game . . .  

Not all QBs where gloves, Brady for one tried and did not like it and he has a glove on the non throwing hand, which you can see in AMfootball avatar . . .

Thanks to all.......

..I think a.m. is right...its a big issue with the Super Bowl outdoors in sub-freezing (Maybe sub-zero) conditions..

....Single-digit cold affects the offense...its the '12th defender'  .....New England is consistently cold in January  .and Denver is so variable weather wise..

It can be 5 degrees or 55 degrees...

Peyton gets a bad attitude when folks ask him about his performance in the cold..I'd be interested in how he attacks it...be he kinda takes those questions as an insult