Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Colts Roster

Guest TeamLoloJones

Somewhere in the 5 year/ 50 million with 25 guaranteed neighborhood.  That's a lot, but he's going to try to get that from someone if he wants his highest paid safety title.

You've significantly adjusted your free agency strategy. You were going after multiple guys in a more Grigson-like manner. Now you're targeting the best available guys at our three biggest positions of need. Interesting. Nothing wrong with it, I just noticed the shift. It's a more risky strategy, obviously costly, but has higher potential reward. And it might be the approach Grigson takes this year after filling a lot of the foundational spots on the team, particularly in the defensive trenches.

Also, I'd keep Cassius Vaughn as a backup DB rather than Corey Lynch. I think Vaughn should move to safety anyways.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

You've significantly adjusted your free agency strategy. You were going after multiple guys in a more Grigson-like manner. Now you're targeting the best available guys at our three biggest positions of need. Interesting. Nothing wrong with it, I just noticed the shift. It's a more risky strategy, obviously costly, but has higher potential reward. And it might be the approach Grigson takes this year after filling a lot of the foundational spots on the team, particularly in the defensive trenches.

Also, I'd keep Cassius Vaughn as a backup DB rather than Corey Lynch. I think Vaughn should move to safety anyways.

I like Vaughn to safety idea, something to consider.  So far Lynch has looked like a very solid special teams player, so I'll keep him for now.  I've been moving my mock more towards getting just a few top tier FAs, based a lot on some people's feedback...as the offseason comes closer I will probably change it back towards a more Grigson-like approach.  Just keeping it fluid and taking in everyone's ideas.  Also I'm hoping guys like McNary, Rogers, Whalen, Doyle, and Nixon continue to progress, and thus making our depth look better and better.  

Guest TeamLoloJones

By the way, we have about $2m in cap rollover from 2013, so your starting cap figure should be $38m, not $36m. If you cut Satele, that gives you $42.3m. For those who want to cut Toler, that gives you $46.5m. Just FYI.

Thanks.  I'm not with the idea of cutting Toler.  The only exception would be if we got Verner or someone of that caliber in FA.  Actually...if we cut Toler after the new league year starts does that affect what his dead money would be? vs. if we cut him right after the Superbowl is played?

Thanks.  I'm not with the idea of cutting Toler.  The only exception would be if we got Verner or someone of that caliber in FA.  Actually...if we cut Toler after the new league year starts does that affect what his dead money would be? vs. if we cut him right after the Superbowl is played?

No, the key is pre- or post-June 1.

If we cut him anytime between now and June 1, the cap penalty for 2014 is $667k. If we cut him after June 1 (or between the start of the new league year and June 1 with a post-June 1 designation, which is just a technicality), we split that cap penalty evenly between 2014 and 2015, $333.3k each year.

In Toler's case, it's negligible either way because of his smaller signing bonus, and not a big consideration.

I'm not in favor of cutting Toler, either. Some have determined that it's a necessity because he took too long to come back from his hamstring injury, but I think that's an overreaction. If he can't stay healthy through camp and preseason, and we've added a solid option at CB, then maybe I'd change my tune. As of right now, no way.

Guest TeamLoloJones

No, the key is pre- or post-June 1.

If we cut him anytime between now and June 1, the cap penalty for 2014 is $667k. If we cut him after June 1 (or between the start of the new league year and June 1 with a post-June 1 designation, which is just a technicality), we split that cap penalty evenly between 2014 and 2015, $333.3k each year.

In Toler's case, it's negligible either way because of his smaller signing bonus, and not a big consideration.

I'm not in favor of cutting Toler, either. Some have determined that it's a necessity because he took too long to come back from his hamstring injury, but I think that's an overreaction. If he can't stay healthy through camp and preseason, and we've added a solid option at CB, then maybe I'd change my tune. As of right now, no way.

I thought that's how it worked, but wanted to make sure.  Yeah...I think if Toler has another injury riddled season, we cut ties with him before his 3rd season with us, but I don't see why it would make sense to cut him this offseason unless we had a better replacement on the roster.

I don't mean to pick a nit here....

But...

I don't think Toler suffered a hamstring injury...

I think he suffered a groin injury....   and those are two very different locations.

Beyond that, I don't think Toler suffered a typical, or common groin injury,  I think it was much more complicated than that....  I thought that's just what was just revealed in a story about a week to 10 days ago....

Anyway...... that's my recollection and understanding...   hope it clarifies things....

I don't mean to pick a nit here....

But...

I don't think Toler suffered a hamstring injury...

I think he suffered a groin injury....   and those are two very different locations.

Beyond that, I don't think Toler suffered a typical, or common groin injury,  I think it was much more complicated than that....  I thought that's just what was just revealed in a story about a week to 10 days ago....

Anyway...... that's my recollection and understanding...   hope it clarifies things....

You're right, groin, not hamstring. My bad.

My only remark will be this:

It's better to have a bunch of above-average players, than to have 1-2 great players that you pay 25-100 million for, and then they bust and complain; ala T.O., Mike Wallace, etc.

Imagine if we had two Erik Waldens and no Robert Mathis......were seeing what life is like without Wayne......Hoping someone steps up each week just so we can remain competitive and pull a game out late, we need those 1-2 great players that are playmakers when the team needs them the most , Now Im certainly not campaigning to pay players massive contracts and neglect the rest of the team...we saw where that got us under the previous regime but you do need playmakers that are consistent....We lack that right now in some key areas 

42 in cap is nice... but remember, we have a lot of FA's this year, I know they aren't the best but we need to sign some for depth purposes, along with V.Davis contract. Vinny and mcafee vary and im not going to get into all that but for offense/defense, V.Davis is one of the biggest we need to resign. realistically, I see 2-3 middle-to big name FA's with depth guys. Mr. Grigson may prove me wrong or right, but honestly you can never tell. will support 100% though. I personally like FA over the draft but that's just me. GO COLTS

Imagine if we had two Erik Waldens and no Robert Mathis......were seeing what life is like without Wayne......Hoping someone steps up each week just so we can remain competitive and pull a game out late, we need those 1-2 great players that are playmakers when the team needs them the most , Now Im certainly not campaigning to pay players massive contracts and neglect the rest of the team...we saw where that got us under the previous regime but you do need playmakers that are consistent....We lack that right now in some key areas 

Robert Mathis, JJ Watt, Andre Johnson - good examples.

Mike Wallace, T.O., Chad Johnson, Paul Kruger - no.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TeamLoloJones

Just to update...I'm planning on doing another refresh once the Pats game is over, win or lose...so everybody feel free to add your ideas as far as Free Agents and draft picks.  And just so everyone knows...I've been doing this mock without us having a 6th round draft pick, because I'm guessing we won't have one because of the conditional draft pick for Josh Gordy trade with the Rams.  I could be wrong about that though.

Just to update...I'm planning on doing another refresh once the Pats game is over, win or lose...so everybody feel free to add your ideas as far as Free Agents and draft picks.  And just so everyone knows...I've been doing this mock without us having a 6th round draft pick, because I'm guessing we won't have one because of the conditional draft pick for Josh Gordy trade with the Rams.  I could be wrong about that though.

tonight? right after the game? or tomorrow?

So we are just going to assume:

1) Thomas returns 100% from his injury,

2) That Thomas is definitely a high caliber starter based on limited playing time with Pats and one game for us.

3) Hugh Thornton (given he has had a few flashes) is going to jump from his current poor/mediocre OL play to starting caliber.

All these things could and may well happen, but are you willing to end up in the same situation we are now due to wishful thinking.  Im Not.

There are several guards that will hit free agency who will almost certainly play at a higher level than Thornton in his 2nd year.  I think  Asamoah probably projects to be significantly more productive than Thornton for the next several years.  I say get him and bring him in and let them all battle in camp for the next year or 2 and let the best guards start and that also gives us good depth at guard.

This. Signing Mack is the best first step we could take but I think we still need to either add Asamoah or use our 2nd round pick on a guy like Gabe Jackson out of Mississppi State. Thomas coming back is great, and he figures to be solid, but we'll have to just hope he stays healthy. Which leads me to my next point - I think we should keep Thorton too - for depth. You just can't run the football effectively with a bad O-line, and the passing game suffers too.

On defense I'd like to sign Byrd if possible. If not Byrd, than hopefully someone else who's at least an upgrade on Bethea. Depending on cap room after C, G, and S have been addressed I think we should consider signing an inside linebacker and look at DE. We could consider drafting a solid mid-round guy like Max Bullough at linebacker instead of or in addition to signing. At CB, I think it's tempting to add a guy from the 3rd round to develop, regardless of what we do in free agency there.

If we don't use our 2nd round pick on a G, than I'd want to use it on Jarvis Landry tbh. Reggie is going to be 36 and coming off of a bad knee injury, imho we need another guy who can both come in to play now and hopefully develop into a star. If we don't draft a WR, I'd at least want to sign 1 guy at the position for next year. I was hoping Da'Rick could be the answer, but he's just too much of a question mark at this point. I do want to hold on to him, as well as Brazill and Whalen.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I don't see Dennard falling to our 2nd pick

Keep reading the thread, Dennard was my pick as our 2nd rounder, but that was before his stock sky rocketed.

Hey guys, I believe Grigson has come to realize that overpaying for mid level free agents is not the way to go. With that being said, I believe he will go after the so call "stars" this offseason. After watching last nights game, there are a number of guys on the team who should be cut but most likely won't. However, I do believe Grigson will cut ties with Toler(too injury prone)  Landry (also injury prone, helps us long term with cap space plus he is horrific in coverage) and Satele (enough said).We will retain most of our own FA. 
QB: Luck
RB:D.Brown,Ballard,Richardson
WR: Wayne, James Jones(provides us with a legit #2 receiver, allows ty to move to slot where he is most effective), Hilton, Brazill, Whalen
TE: Allen, Fleener, Doyle
OT: Castonzo, Cherilus
G: Thomas, Asomoah(very solid guard, helps our interior line)
C: Mack(Grigson will go all in for one of the best centers in football)

De: Redding, Jean Francois

Dt: Soliai (good presence in the middle, shouldn't be too expensive) (Chapman for depth)

ILB: Freeman, Spikes(great against stopping the run, could come as a bargain)(McNary for depth)

OLB: Mathis, Walden/Werner(would absolutely love to see colts get orakpo but afraid he will cost too much,he and mathis would be lethal together)

S: Bethea(need his presence, still has enough left in tank) Bernard Pollard(local Indiana kid, exceptional in coverage plus hard hitter. Exemplifies the word"grit")

CB:Vontae, Dominique Rodgers Cromartie(solid #2, great season with Den), Darius Butler, Will Blackmon(corner from jags, adds depth) 

P: McAfee(will overpay for his services)

K: Vinateri(cheap one year deal, his last year in the NFL) 

In summary, I believe Grigson will fill all holes mostly through Free Agency.I believe he will use the draft in acquiring depth. What do you guys think?

Hey guys, I believe Grigson has come to realize that overpaying for mid level free agents is not the way to go. With that being said, I believe he will go after the so call "stars" this offseason. After watching last nights game, there are a number of guys on the team who should be cut but most likely won't. However, I do believe Grigson will cut ties with Toler(too injury prone)  Landry (also injury prone, helps us long term with cap space plus he is horrific in coverage) and Satele (enough said).We will retain most of our own FA. 

QB: Luck

RB:D.Brown,Ballard,Richardson

WR: Wayne, James Jones(provides us with a legit #2 receiver, allows ty to move to slot where he is most effective), Hilton, Brazill, Whalen

TE: Allen, Fleener, Doyle

OT: Castonzo, Cherilus

G: Thomas, Asomoah(very solid guard, helps our interior line)

C: Mack(Grigson will go all in for one of the best centers in football)

De: Redding, Jean Francois

Dt: Soliai (good presence in the middle, shouldn't be too expensive) (Chapman for depth)

ILB: Freeman, Spikes(great against stopping the run, could come as a bargain)(McNary for depth)

OLB: Mathis, Walden/Werner(would absolutely love to see colts get orakpo but afraid he will cost too much,he and mathis would be lethal together)

S: Bethea(need his presence, still has enough left in tank) Bernard Pollard(local Indiana kid, exceptional in coverage plus hard hitter. Exemplifies the word"grit")

CB:Vontae, Dominique Rodgers Cromartie(solid #2, great season with Den), Darius Butler, Will Blackmon(corner from jags, adds depth) 

P: McAfee(will overpay for his services)

K: Vinateri(cheap one year deal, his last year in the NFL) 

In summary, I believe Grigson will fill all holes mostly through Free Agency.I believe he will use the draft in acquiring depth. What do you guys think?

I really like signing Mack. Asomoah would also be a great pick up if we decide not to try to fix G in the draft (so Gabe Jackson would be the alternative to Asomoah imo, but we should definitely go for 1 of the 2.) I'd rather add a receiver in the draft if a good enough player fell to us and we're not using the pick on a G, and realistically I'd be eyeing Jarvis Landry. If we look to FA for a WR I think might be able to find a better fit than James Jones (though he's not the worst idea). Spikes would be an option, run defense was a glaring weakness in the playoffs. Rogers Cromartie would be an option too, but we might look to the draft at CB. Personally Byrd would be on my wishlist for safety, but if we don't get him Pollard would be less expensive. I don't know if we really need to resign Bethea or Brown.

Keep reading the thread, Dennard was my pick as our 2nd rounder, but that was before his stock sky rocketed.

After last night's game, I'm rethinking my earlier opposition to Arthur Jones. Might be worth having him and bringing Redding off the bench. Still a luxury signing, but maybe something worth splurging on...

After last night's game, I'm rethinking my earlier opposition to Arthur Jones. Might be worth having him and bringing Redding off the bench. Still a luxury signing, but maybe something worth splurging on...

Do you know when the All 22 will be available for the game? I was thinking Tuesday late

Do you know when the All 2 will be available for the game? I was thinking Tuesday late

I don't know. They usually release the All 22 on Wednesdays. Might be different for the playoffs, especially with the game being played on Saturday, but I don't know one way or the other.

I hate how people don't consider OLine as weapons.  Next to QB i think the OLine is the next best weapon.  Oline can make any RB look good.  The Oline can keep our QB safe.  The Oline can protect while WR get open.  

Look at all the teams in the playoffs.  What do they all have in common, oh yea a good Oline.  Coaches may need to look at this.

We need a better pass rush.  I think our secondary is good, but we barely get any pressure on the QB so our secondary needs to cover longer, but secondary could use little improvement.

I know this isn't gonna happen, but i hope when luck rookie contract is up, he'll be willing to take a pay cut to farther better the team.  Thats what i would do.  100 million dollars is too much money for any person to use in one life time.  Psh 10million is too much money to use in one lifetime.  Thats just me tho

DHB should switch to CB.  With his length and speed he could have the potential to be very good.

I know this is only from half way through the regular season, but I think it illustrates where the offense needs upgrading. I'd really like a receiver too - but a good C (and even another starting G) are the number 1 priority on either side of the football imo.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1839318-how-the-colts-interior-offensive-line-is-holding-the-offense-back

The defense isn't really that strong on any level. I'd love to get another pass rusher or 2. How do you beat a good QB? You get in his face, put pressure on him, force mistakes. But we also got ran the hell over against the Cheifs and Pats in January. So I wouldn't mind bringing in a Brandon Spikes type, as long as we also at least bring in a new good pass rusher and a new good DB. 

I too want a strong O Line ... like NE ... one that pushes the opposing D Line back and opens up holes... 

I can't fins the article I think it was on Rotoworld, but it said that Asamough should able to get because Schwartz was resigned and out performed him.. Him and Mack would fix the O-line..

D-line sleeper..Linval Jospeh  if we can't land Author Jones

The Giants "feel good" 2013 second-round pick Johnathan Hankins can replace free agent Linval Joseph at nose tackle.

The 49th overall pick in last April's draft, Hankins toiled as a rotational run stuffer during his rookie year, playing under 200 defensive snaps. He did play exceptionally well versus the run and looks to have a bright future. Joseph is going to be a wildly hot commodity if he reaches the open market.

Off the top of my head this would probably be my ideal draft at this point.

2. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State

3. Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee

5. Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky

6. Deandre Coleman, DT, Cal

7. Bennett Jackson, CB, Notre Dame 

Sign Spikes, De La Puente, a DLineman, a Safety. I hope the Colts have a STRONG Dline next year. An ILB core of Freeman, Spikes, Jackson, and McNary would be solid.

Here's my (ideal) 2014 Colts' roster.  (based on my CURRENT evaluations of pro and college players from around the league and country.)  I will be updating this periodically.

Blue are draft picks, Red are free agent acquisitions. Green are our own FA re-singings.

Feel free to critique, I'm open to suggestions. 

In the draft, we trade our late 3rd and 7th round picks for a mid 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks.

So we would have a 2nd, 4th, 5th, 5th, and 6th round picks. (Instead of 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 7th.)

The money to sign everyone in this mock would be tight (maybe impossible) but keep in mind: Brown, DHB, McGlynn, and Bethea are not resigned (among others), and Satele has been cut.

OFFENSE

QB-  Andrew Luck, Matt Hasselbeck

HB-  Trent Richardson, Vick Ballard, Tyler Gaffney (UDFA-Stanford), Chris Rainey (ERFA)

FB-  Stanley Havili

WR- Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, Jeremy Maclin (UFA), Da' Rick Rogers, LaVon Brazill

TE-   Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, C.J. Fiedorowicz (5th Rd pick-Iowa), Jack Doyle

LT-   Anthony Castonzo, Joe Reitz (RFA)

LG-  Donald Thomas, Chris Watt (6th Rd pick-Notre Dame)

C-    Alex Mack (UFA), Khaled Holmes

RG- Hugh Thornton

RT-  Gosder Cherilus

DEFENSE

DE-  Cory Redding, Arthur Jones (UFA), Ben Gardner (UDFA-Stanford)

NT-  Josh Chapman, Terrence Cody (UFA)

DT-  Ricky Jean Francois, Montori Hughes

SLB-Eric Walden, Bjoern Werner

ILB- Jerrell Freeman, Josh McNary, Mario Harvey

ILB- Donald Butler (UFA), Chris Borland (4th Rd pick-Wisconsin), Kelvin Sheppard 

RLB-Robert Mathis, Cam Johnson (ERFA)

RCB-Vontae Davis (UFA), Darqueze Dennard (2nd Rd pick-Michigan St.)

LCB-Greg Toler, Darius Butler, Josh Gordy (RFA)

SS-  LaRon Landry,  Corey Lynch

FS-  Delano Howell, Ahmad Dixon (5th Rd-pick-Baylor)Sergio Brown (UFA)

SPECIAL TEAMS

K-   Adam Vinatieri (UFA)

P-   Pat McAfee (UFA)

LS- Matt Overton

Notes on drafted and signed players.

(Resigned Players)

Chris Rainey-RB-Exclusive Rights FA- Keep Rainey for kick and punt returns, and use him on

offense occasionally as a scat back.

Joe Reitz-LT-Restricted FA-                 Sign Reitz to an offer sheet with a low round tender.  He's  

a valuable backup, is able to play both tackle and guard.

Cam Johnson-RLB-ERFA-                    Keep Johnson for depth, and continue to develop him.

Vontae Davis-CB-Unrestricted FA-       Too much invested in Davis to let him walk.  Hopefully his 

inconsistent play will help keep his price down a little.  But he

is still a top flight CB and will be paid accordingly.

Josh Gordy-CB-Restricted FA-             Sign Gordy to an offer sheet for a low tender, but hopefully        

we find a better 5th corner in preseason. 

Sergio Brown-S-Unrestricted FA-         Brown deserves to be resigned.  He has become a real bright 

spot on an otherwise mediocre at best special teams unit.

Adam Vinatieri-K-Unrestriced FA-         Adam stil has it, and I would expect him to have it for 2 more

years.  

Pat McAfee-P-Unrestricted FA-            McAfee has not been as good this year as he has been, but I 

would still like to see him stay a Colt.

(Singed Free Agents)

Jeremy Maclin-WR-Unrestricted FA-     Maclin is the player I would like to get for our WR corps.  If        

he's healthy and as long as it doesn't break the bank, I feel

he is the best player available to groom into Reggie's long 

term replacement.  This strategy is dependent on Rogers 

being the stud we hope he is.  Otherwise the draft will be  

better suited to find a new WR.  (We need a big WR, so if 

Rogers can fill that roll, I'm more comfortable with going after 

Maclin as a supplement to Rogers, Hilton, and Wayne.)

Alex Mack-C-Unrestricted FA-               Pro Bowl Center in his prime.  He will probably end up being

the highest paid center in the NFL wherever he lands, and

he'd be worth every penny.

Arthur Jones-DE-Unrestricted FA-        Pagano ties and scheme fit.  Won't be the most expensive

free agent, so it would be good to get him into a rotational

role with Redding, as Cory plays out the final year of his

contract.  Then Jones would be the full time starter in 2015.

Terrence Cody-NT-Unrestricted FA-    Another former Pagano player.  Also a former teammate of 

Josh Chapman at Alabama.  We would have a good rotation 

with these two guys, keeping them fresh all game long.

Donald Butler-ILB-Unrestricted FA-      Young and underrated linebacker.  Comes from a 3-4 in San

Diego and would be the perfect compliment to Freeman in the 

middle of the defense.

(Draft Picks)

Darqueze Dennard-CB-Mich.St. 2nd-   The closest I've seen to a shutdown corner in college football

this season.  He hasn't faced a top tier wideout all year, but  

he's still easily the best player on one of the best defenses in                      

the country.

Chris Borland-ILB-Wisconsin-4th rd-    One of the best defensive players in the entire Big Ten.  

What he lacks in athleticism he makes up for with elite

instincts.  Another player that probably won't put up great  

combine numbers, and will be a steal in the 4th round.

Ahmad Dixon-S-Baylor-5th round-        Best defensive player on a surprisingly good defense at  

Baylor.  Can play center fielder and can play in the box.

Pagano likes to have safeties that can play both, and Dixon is 

a hard hitting safety with range.

C.J. Fiedorowicz-TE-Iowa-5th round-   C.J. is an outstanding TE.  Both as a point of the attack and

downfield blocker.  He would immediately help with Pep's

power formations, because he is also a receiving threat.

He's a huge target, and would be a great to have in the red          

zone.  He's way too talented to last to the fifth round, but he

he will post a poor 40 time at the Combine and fall off the

map for most teams. (Think Dwayne Allen) Plus, there is a ton    

of TE talent in front of him.  

Chris Watt-OG-Notre Dame-6th round-Another o-line project for Grigson.  Far from a top prospect,

but enough talent to develop into a quality depth player.  His

strength is pass protection, not run blocking.  He has good 

athleticism for a guard, and is a good fit on the left side.

Ben Gardner-DE-Stanford-UDFA-       Gardner will need to pack on the pounds to be a fit at 3-4 DE  

in the NFL.  If he does, he could be a viable depth player.

Tyler Gaffney-RB-Stanford-UDFA-       Familiar with Pep and the power scheme, and played with  

Luck  in 2011.  Good downhill, no nonsense runner.  Perfect      

scheme fit, but without overwhelming talent, he should be               

there to pick up after the draft.

Everyone feel free to throw your own ideas at my mock and have some fun with it!

I would love for this to happen..

Just don't feel comfortable with Howell as a starter.

Hope we can upgrade the safety position.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I would love for this to happen..

Just don't feel comfortable with Howell as a starter.

Hope we can upgrade the safety position.

Keep reading, I updated it a few times.

Guest TeamLoloJones

We could even pick up Kendrick Lewis from KC. I can't imagine him costing too much. Not Byrd or Ward money that is.

I'm really thinking more and more that we should cut ties with Toler, even when he's healthy I'm not sure he's good enough to be a #2 CB.

Not sure if this has been posted or if I have missed anything on an extension given to him, but what about Chris Clemons? He surely wouldn't cost as much as Byrd, but wouldn't be a huge drop off in ability. He would give Landry more of a chance to get down in the box and be the hitter that he is, and not place him on an island trying to cover.

Just a thought.

I still struggle with dropping Toler, I know financially we can make it happen, but him and Vontae looked good once they got into a groove before the injury. And I just don't think we would have the funds to drop that much money in the secondary, that puts too much weight on 4 positions that would then also have 0 depth. I would rather keep Toler, draft a CB in the 2nd or 3rd, give Gordy some more chances and maybe pick up Corey Graham from the Ravens or Chris Cook from Minnesota.

I'm really thinking more and more that we should cut ties with Toler, even when he's healthy I'm not sure he's good enough to be a #2 CB.

So?

I don't understand this thinking. I think he's a fringe CB2, absolutely. But that's not a good enough reason to cut him. I know he doesn't have a big cap penalty, but that's not a good reason, either. Those two things combined, to me, aren't enough reason. 

To me, Toler can help the team (if healthy), he has a high ceiling, he's not massively overpaid, and we aren't in a pinch for the cap space. No reason, IMO, to cut him.

Contrast with Satele, who I think hurts the team, doesn't have any room for improvement, and is paid much higher than other journeyman/bum-level interior linemen that we could replace him with. No, we're still not in a pinch for the cap space, but he's just a bad player.

Guest TeamLoloJones

So?

I don't understand this thinking. I think he's a fringe CB2, absolutely. But that's not a good enough reason to cut him. I know he doesn't have a big cap penalty, but that's not a good reason, either. Those two things combined, to me, aren't enough reason. 

To me, Toler can help the team (if healthy), he has a high ceiling, he's not massively overpaid, and we aren't in a pinch for the cap space. No reason, IMO, to cut him.

Contrast with Satele, who I think hurts the team, doesn't have any room for improvement, and is paid much higher than other journeyman/bum-level interior linemen that we could replace him with. No, we're still not in a pinch for the cap space, but he's just a bad player.

I guess I should have said that cutting Toler is not an option unless we upgrade him first.  If we went after a top guy in FA like Talib, Shields, Verner, DRC (not saying we will get any of them) then Toler becomes expendable.  If we draft a CB, we should still keep Toler. But he's too expensive to be a nickel CB, and he wouldn't be better than Bulter at the nickel anyway.  So if we re-sign Vontae and get another top tier CB (probably just a pipe dream) then, and only then, we cut ties with Toler.  I'm not saying we should just cut him now, but that we should look to upgrade the position.

I guess I should have said that cutting Toler is not an option unless we upgrade him first.  If we went after a top guy in FA like Talib, Shields, Verner, DRC (not saying we will get any of them) then Toler becomes expendable.  If we draft a CB, we should still keep Toler. But he's too expensive to be a nickel CB, and he wouldn't be better than Bulter at the nickel anyway.  So if we re-sign Vontae and get another top tier CB (probably just a pipe dream) then, and only then, we cut ties with Toler.  I'm not saying we should just cut him now, but that we should look to upgrade the position.

Yeah, that's a different story. Problem is the cash it would take to sign another corner. First thing, I don't think the CB market from last year is going to carry over to this year. I think guys like DRC, Talib, Verner, etc., will get more than the $5-6m/year that corners got last year. Plus the signing bonus, and you're probably like $10m in on Year 1 cash. You can keep Toler for less than half of that. I get that he's expendable, but I don't think it's going to reasonable to upgrade on him this year. Not unless you make another corner a priority.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yeah, that's a different story. Problem is the cash it would take to sign another corner. First thing, I don't think the CB market from last year is going to carry over to this year. I think guys like DRC, Talib, Verner, etc., will get more than the $5-6m/year that corners got last year. Plus the signing bonus, and you're probably like $10m in on Year 1 cash. You can keep Toler for less than half of that. I get that he's expendable, but I don't think it's going to reasonable to upgrade on him this year. Not unless you make another corner a priority.

Yeah.  It's not a likely scenario with us also having to re-sign Vontae.  How many teams have 2 CB's making over 7 million/year?