Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Colts Roster

Guest TeamLoloJones

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

Right. I think we're stuck with Toler for another year. I hope he plays better/stays healthy.

Maybe we could get the best of both worlds, and have Grigson give Toler a pay cut.

Maybe we could get the best of both worlds, and have Grigson give Toler a pay cut.

Could restructure his deal to be incentive based. Games played, INTs, tackles, etc., to trigger more base salary. Would decrease his cap hold going into the year, but we'd retroactively lose cap space for whatever achievements he actually reaches. I think that's a fair solution.

Here's my (ideal) 2014 Colts' roster.  (based on my CURRENT evaluations of pro and college players from around the league and country.)  I will be updating this periodically.

Blue are draft picks, Red are free agent acquisitions. Green are our own FA re-singings.

Feel free to critique, I'm open to suggestions. 

In the draft, we trade our late 3rd and 7th round picks for a mid 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks.

So we would have a 2nd, 4th, 5th, 5th, and 6th round picks. (Instead of 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 7th.)

The money to sign everyone in this mock would be tight (maybe impossible) but keep in mind: Brown, DHB, McGlynn, and Bethea are not resigned (among others), and Satele has been cut.

OFFENSE

QB-  Andrew Luck, Matt Hasselbeck

HB-  Trent Richardson, Vick Ballard, Tyler Gaffney (UDFA-Stanford), Chris Rainey (ERFA)

FB-  Stanley Havili

WR- Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, Jeremy Maclin (UFA), Da' Rick Rogers, LaVon Brazill

TE-   Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, C.J. Fiedorowicz (5th Rd pick-Iowa), Jack Doyle

LT-   Anthony Castonzo, Joe Reitz (RFA)

LG-  Donald Thomas, Chris Watt (6th Rd pick-Notre Dame)

C-    Alex Mack (UFA), Khaled Holmes

RG- Hugh Thornton

RT-  Gosder Cherilus

DEFENSE

DE-  Cory Redding, Arthur Jones (UFA), Ben Gardner (UDFA-Stanford)

NT-  Josh Chapman, Terrence Cody (UFA)

DT-  Ricky Jean Francois, Montori Hughes

SLB-Eric Walden, Bjoern Werner

ILB- Jerrell Freeman, Josh McNary, Mario Harvey

ILB- Donald Butler (UFA), Chris Borland (4th Rd pick-Wisconsin), Kelvin Sheppard 

RLB-Robert Mathis, Cam Johnson (ERFA)

RCB-Vontae Davis (UFA), Darqueze Dennard (2nd Rd pick-Michigan St.)

LCB-Greg Toler, Darius Butler, Josh Gordy (RFA)

SS-  LaRon Landry,  Corey Lynch

FS-  Delano Howell, Ahmad Dixon (5th Rd-pick-Baylor)Sergio Brown (UFA)

SPECIAL TEAMS

K-   Adam Vinatieri (UFA)

P-   Pat McAfee (UFA)

LS- Matt Overton

Notes on drafted and signed players.

(Resigned Players)

Chris Rainey-RB-Exclusive Rights FA- Keep Rainey for kick and punt returns, and use him on

offense occasionally as a scat back.

Joe Reitz-LT-Restricted FA-                 Sign Reitz to an offer sheet with a low round tender.  He's  

a valuable backup, is able to play both tackle and guard.

Cam Johnson-RLB-ERFA-                    Keep Johnson for depth, and continue to develop him.

Vontae Davis-CB-Unrestricted FA-       Too much invested in Davis to let him walk.  Hopefully his 

inconsistent play will help keep his price down a little.  But he

is still a top flight CB and will be paid accordingly.

Josh Gordy-CB-Restricted FA-             Sign Gordy to an offer sheet for a low tender, but hopefully        

we find a better 5th corner in preseason. 

Sergio Brown-S-Unrestricted FA-         Brown deserves to be resigned.  He has become a real bright 

spot on an otherwise mediocre at best special teams unit.

Adam Vinatieri-K-Unrestriced FA-         Adam stil has it, and I would expect him to have it for 2 more

years.  

Pat McAfee-P-Unrestricted FA-            McAfee has not been as good this year as he has been, but I 

would still like to see him stay a Colt.

(Singed Free Agents)

Jeremy Maclin-WR-Unrestricted FA-     Maclin is the player I would like to get for our WR corps.  If        

he's healthy and as long as it doesn't break the bank, I feel

he is the best player available to groom into Reggie's long 

term replacement.  This strategy is dependent on Rogers 

being the stud we hope he is.  Otherwise the draft will be  

better suited to find a new WR.  (We need a big WR, so if 

Rogers can fill that roll, I'm more comfortable with going after 

Maclin as a supplement to Rogers, Hilton, and Wayne.)

Alex Mack-C-Unrestricted FA-               Pro Bowl Center in his prime.  He will probably end up being

the highest paid center in the NFL wherever he lands, and

he'd be worth every penny.

Arthur Jones-DE-Unrestricted FA-        Pagano ties and scheme fit.  Won't be the most expensive

free agent, so it would be good to get him into a rotational

role with Redding, as Cory plays out the final year of his

contract.  Then Jones would be the full time starter in 2015.

Terrence Cody-NT-Unrestricted FA-    Another former Pagano player.  Also a former teammate of 

Josh Chapman at Alabama.  We would have a good rotation 

with these two guys, keeping them fresh all game long.

Donald Butler-ILB-Unrestricted FA-      Young and underrated linebacker.  Comes from a 3-4 in San

Diego and would be the perfect compliment to Freeman in the 

middle of the defense.

(Draft Picks)

Darqueze Dennard-CB-Mich.St. 2nd-   The closest I've seen to a shutdown corner in college football

this season.  He hasn't faced a top tier wideout all year, but  

he's still easily the best player on one of the best defenses in                      

the country.

Chris Borland-ILB-Wisconsin-4th rd-    One of the best defensive players in the entire Big Ten.  

What he lacks in athleticism he makes up for with elite

instincts.  Another player that probably won't put up great  

combine numbers, and will be a steal in the 4th round.

Ahmad Dixon-S-Baylor-5th round-        Best defensive player on a surprisingly good defense at  

Baylor.  Can play center fielder and can play in the box.

Pagano likes to have safeties that can play both, and Dixon is 

a hard hitting safety with range.

C.J. Fiedorowicz-TE-Iowa-5th round-   C.J. is an outstanding TE.  Both as a point of the attack and

downfield blocker.  He would immediately help with Pep's

power formations, because he is also a receiving threat.

He's a huge target, and would be a great to have in the red          

zone.  He's way too talented to last to the fifth round, but he

he will post a poor 40 time at the Combine and fall off the

map for most teams. (Think Dwayne Allen) Plus, there is a ton    

of TE talent in front of him.  

Chris Watt-OG-Notre Dame-6th round-Another o-line project for Grigson.  Far from a top prospect,

but enough talent to develop into a quality depth player.  His

strength is pass protection, not run blocking.  He has good 

athleticism for a guard, and is a good fit on the left side.

Ben Gardner-DE-Stanford-UDFA-       Gardner will need to pack on the pounds to be a fit at 3-4 DE  

in the NFL.  If he does, he could be a viable depth player.

Tyler Gaffney-RB-Stanford-UDFA-       Familiar with Pep and the power scheme, and played with  

Luck  in 2011.  Good downhill, no nonsense runner.  Perfect      

scheme fit, but without overwhelming talent, he should be               

there to pick up after the draft.

Everyone feel free to throw your own ideas at my mock and have some fun with it!

I wish things turned out this sweet for us but there's no way we will go after all of these big names.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I wish things turned out this sweet for us but there's no way we will go after all of these big names.

Completely agree.  I would be more than happy if we got just one of the big name guys.  

• 1 month later...