Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Colts Roster

Guest TeamLoloJones

Guest TeamLoloJones

If we're looking at backup guards you probably want to look for a guy who can also backup the tackle position or at the very least the center position.  

Yes...Pagano has said he likes having a swingman or two.  We have Reitz able to play tackle and guard.  I think if we get a new center, Holmes will get more reps at guard to be an emergency player there.  (I think he's had some reps at guard this year.)  People on here have been throwing Asamoah's name out, but I don't think he's ever seen action at center or tackle.  (Could be wrong about that.)  My next update to my mock would probably be to not sign Cody, and instead sign a guard.  If I do that, we would have the cap space to sign a starting guard, but not a world beater.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...Pagano has said he likes having a swingman or two.  We have Reitz able to play tackle and guard.  I think if we get a new center, Holmes will get more reps at guard to be an emergency player there.  (I think he's had some reps at guard this year.)  People on here have been throwing Asamoah's name out, but I don't think he's ever seen action at center or tackle.  (Could be wrong about that.)  My next update to my mock would probably be to not sign Cody, and instead sign a guard.  If I do that, we would have the cap space to sign a starting guard, but not a world beater.

A lot of mocks I've been seeing don't have a lot of interior linemen going in the first round.  If guards are being pushed back down in the draft perhaps it might be wise to draft one in the 2nd.  

Yeah vets might make less mistakes but they have to get a start someplace, and if a top guard is available to us in the 2nd, it makes sense to get one.  

Guest TeamLoloJones

A lot of mocks I've been seeing don't have a lot of interior linemen going in the first round.  If guards are being pushed back down in the draft perhaps it might be wise to draft one in the 2nd.  

Yeah vets might make less mistakes but they have to get a start someplace, and if a top guard is available to us in the 2nd, it makes sense to get one.  

If David Yankey, Cyril Richardson, or Zack Martin (he's from Indy) fall to our pick (I highly doubt any of them fall that far), then I would draft them.  Otherwise I wouldn't want our 2nd round pick to be used on a guard.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I wouldn't give Cody that kind of money. The guy has hardly seen the field since he has been in the NFL.

I would pay him very little guaranteed money.  That way if he doesn't pull his weight,  he gets cut with little damage done.

I would pay him very little guaranteed money.  That way if he doesn't pull his weight,  he gets cut with little damage done.

Cody will be lucky to get a vet minimum deal from the market.  Franklin is a much better player....look no further than him or another young buck for a rotational player with Chapman.

I get the notion of making sweeping changes when the O-line looks to be under performing, but that is unlikely for 2014.  This isn't as much fun to talk about in discussion threads, I suppose, but our starting guards and tackles are on the roster already for next year.  How they handle the center position is up for debate, but a big name free agent isn't likely with Holmes under development and McGlynn available at vet minimum as a serviceable back up at center (I'll stop there, he hasn't been serviceable anywhere else).  There may be other journeymen signed, but we look much more like a team that is in a draft and develop phase now on the O-line.  Other people's talent isn't going to solve our problems - we'll have to mostly coach our own.  Not as sexy for off-season conversation, but probably reality  

As you suggest, bringing Reitz back will make a lot of sense.  Don't be surprised if Link is still on the roster next year as the ninth lineman - he can do it all for the vet minimum, and beats out other developmental players year after year.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I get the notion of making sweeping changes when the O-line looks to be under performing, but that is unlikely for 2014.  This isn't as much fun to talk about in discussion threads, I suppose, but our starting guards and tackles are on the roster already for next year.  How they handle the center position is up for debate, but a big name free agent isn't likely with Holmes under development and McGlynn available at vet minimum as a serviceable back up at center (I'll stop there, he hasn't been serviceable anywhere else).  There may be other journeymen signed, but we look much more like a team that is in a draft and develop phase now on the O-line.  Other people's talent isn't going to solve our problems - we'll have to mostly coach our own.  Not as sexy for off-season conversation, but probably reality  

As you suggest, bringing Reitz back will make a lot of sense.  Don't be surprised if Link is still on the roster next year as the ninth lineman - he can do it all for the vet minimum, and beats out other developmental players year after year.

The thing is...we will end up having to make at least one splash signing...we have too much cap space to conceivably spread out over too many 2nd tier free agents and our own re-signings.  Just like with signing Cherilus last year, Grigson will have to put big $ into at least one player or two players.  If a top tier free agent offensive lineman is available, it would make ZERO sense for us to not go after them.

I'm not sure how you came to those conclusions. Teams don't miss out on signing a potential upgrade just because they drafted a player in the 4th round.....a player that has yet to play a snap.

I'm not sure how you came to those conclusions. Teams don't miss out on signing a potential upgrade just because they drafted a player in the 4th round.....a player that has yet to play a snap.

Who is the potential upgrade to that player drafted in the 4th round?  Please don't say Mack....that is not a plan, that is a pipe dream.  Most of the time you have to roll the dice on a talent you believe in to develop....and have a back-up plan if it doesn't work out.  T'hat is our probable path forward at the center position.

The thing is...we will end up having to make at least one splash signing...we have too much cap space to conceivably spread out over too many 2nd tier free agents and our own re-signings.  Just like with signing Cherilus last year, Grigson will have to put big $ into at least one player or two players.  If a top tier free agent offensive lineman is available, it would make ZERO sense for us to not go after them.

That is not in dispute.  Grigson proved he'd get the money spent, and he did it a little different than any of us would have projected.  I was surprised then and I'll probably be surprised again - but there is no reason to expect a top tier FA lineman signing of any sort, especially at G or T.  Both tackles are solid and healthy. D. Thomas returns as a projected starter at guard and Thornton the other.  You might draft a BPA lineman anytime or sign a journeyman back-up like Willie Colon...but there is no splash signing for that group.  Even if you are in the camp that is unconvinced about Thornton, what FA guard really projects as significantly more productive than Thornton in year 2 and year 3?  Develop the talent you believe in and have a back-up plan.  

The splash signings you speak of are much more likely at ILB, CB, S, or WR - anything is possible there.

Who is the potential upgrade to that player drafted in the 4th round?  Please don't say Mack....that is not a plan, that is a pipe dream.  Most of the time you have to roll the dice on a talent you believe in to develop....and have a back-up plan if it doesn't work out.  T'hat is our probable path forward at the center position.

Brian De La Puente, Evan Dietrich Smith. To say the Colts should roll the dice on a 4th round center who has been a healthy scratch most of the season is rather absurd.....especially when the Colts are trying to protect a young franchise QB and you have 38m+ in cap space.

Holmes is not a guard he is a center.

Brian De La Puente, Evan Dietrich Smith. To say the Colts should roll the dice on a 4th round center who has been a healthy scratch most of the season is rather absurd.....especially when the Colts are trying to protect a young franchise QB and you have 38m+ in cap space.

Are they a potential solution based on your analysis of their play, or based on the offensive production of the QB's they have snapped the ball to?

Guest TeamLoloJones

That is not in dispute.  Grigson proved he'd get the money spent, and he did it a little different than any of us would have projected.  I was surprised then and I'll probably be surprised again - but there is no reason to expect a top tier FA lineman signing of any sort, especially at G or T.  Both tackles are solid and healthy. D. Thomas returns as a projected starter at guard and Thornton the other.  You might draft a BPA lineman anytime or sign a journeyman back-up like Willie Colon...but there is no splash signing for that group.  Even if you are in the camp that is unconvinced about Thornton, what FA guard really projects as significantly more productive than Thornton in year 2 and year 3?  Develop the talent you believe in and have a back-up plan.  

The splash signings you speak of are much more likely at ILB, CB, S, or WR - anything is possible there.

If Grigson goes through this offseason with putting some serious talent on the offensive line, almost every single Colts' fan, including myself, and probably Mr. Irsay will be calling for Grigson's job.  WE MUST UPGRADE IT before we even think about doing anything else.

Are they a potential solution based on your analysis of their play, or based on the offensive production of the QB's they have snapped the ball to?

We could have signed Matt Slauson for this year. He wound up with a one year deal in Chicago, and has played pretty well there. Would have been quite an upgrade over McGlynn's play at right guard. There's always a veteran FA that you can snag in secondary free agency to play that stop-gap role. That might be the way to go at G/C for next year, just in case Thomas isn't 100%, or Holmes/Thornton aren't ready to lock down a starting job. 

I'm not sure who that player might be this year, but there are a lot of serviceable free agents for 2014. And there's a handful of teams that are going to have to cut some decent players to create cap space. What if the Steelers cut Ramon Foster, or the Pats cut Dan Connolly? Or any other number of scenarios... If we get rid of Satele and let McGlynn, Reitz and Link walk, those kind of lower tier veteran FAs are the guys that can compete for a starting job for a year, just in case the young guys aren't ready.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Holmes is not a guard he is a center.

Did you actually read what I said?  I didn't say he was a guard.  Pagano like's people to play multiple positions on the line.  Holmes has had reps at guard,  and could be a backup at both positions.

Guest TeamLoloJones

My guess is analysis of their play.  Brian de la Puente is actually one of the better center's in the league.

Did you actually read what I said?  I didn't say he was a guard.  Pagano like's people to play multiple positions on the line.  Holmes has had reps at guard,  and could be a backup at both positions.

Holmes best asset is his mobility out in space in my opinion, traps, zone plays, asking him to get to the 2nd level he could do, Not a O Lineman that relies on power, He has potential to be a very good O Lineman do to his athleticism if he picks up the mental aspects of the game

Guest TeamLoloJones

We could have signed Matt Slauson for this year. He wound up with a one year deal in Chicago, and has played pretty well there. Would have been quite an upgrade over McGlynn's play at right guard. There's always a veteran FA that you can snag in secondary free agency to play that stop-gap role. That might be the way to go at G/C for next year, just in case Thomas isn't 100%, or Holmes/Thornton aren't ready to lock down a starting job. 

I'm not sure who that player might be this year, but there are a lot of serviceable free agents for 2014. And there's a handful of teams that are going to have to cut some decent players to create cap space. What if the Steelers cut Ramon Foster, or the Pats cut Dan Connolly? Or any other number of scenarios... If we get rid of Satele and let McGlynn, Reitz and Link walk, those kind of lower tier veteran FAs are the guys that can compete for a starting job for a year, just in case the young guys aren't ready.

In my opinion...we have no choice but to go after the best Center/Guard in free agency.  I don't care that we have young developing guys.  We need an injection of talent on the interior, and we can't have 2nd tier guys, or young guys competing for the job.  WE NEED A STAR, otherwise we will just keep taking Luck's health for granted, and this power scheme will NEVER get off the ground, and Luck & co. will have to adjust to a new OC.  Now if no one is available or no one wants to sign here...ok, but if we don't at least target the top FA lineman, I'm going to lose my mind.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Holmes best asset is his mobility out in space in my opinion, traps, zone plays, asking him to get to the 2nd level he could do, Not a O Lineman that relies on power, He has potential to be a very good O Lineman do to his athleticism if he picks up the mental aspects of the game

He's without question a center, and I never meant to imply we play him at guard on purpose.  My point was IF Holmes is not our starting center, it would be nice to know he could step in at guard in case of injury.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I saw a few left out it the original roster including Adongo

Could you rephrase that?  I can't figure out what you are trying to say.

In my opinion...we have no choice but to go after the best Center/Guard in free agency.  I don't care that we have young developing guys.  We need an injection of talent on the interior, and we can't have 2nd tier guys, or young guys competing for the job.  WE NEED A STAR, otherwise we will just keep taking Luck's health for granted, and this power scheme will NEVER get off the ground, and Luck & co. will have to adjust to a new OC.  Now if no one is available or no one wants to sign here...ok, but if we don't at least target the top FA lineman, I'm going to lose my mind.

As you allude to, we might not be able to get a star lineman. I'd gladly take a 2nd tier guy, as he'd be better than our garbage tier guys we've been dealing with the last two years. Like I said, Matt Slauson would have been a tremendous get for us this year, or Brian de la Puente, who was considered a 2nd tier guy last offseason. In that case, we'd still be relying on the young guys to develop and eventually take over, and I think that's best case scenario. The draft is still the lifeblood of the organization, or at least it should be.

Now if we get a stud guard or center, I have no problem rearranging the depth chart to fit them in, even if it means bumping Holmes or Thornton back down. But we drafted them hoping that they'd be the injection of talent you're talking about, eventually. (Please don't tell me how they're 3rd and 4th rounders; de la Puente was undrafted, Asamoah was a 3rd rounder, Deitrich-Smith was undrafted.)

You mentioned earlier that the fan base is going to blow a gasket if we don't sign a stud lineman. That might be true, but the fan base is going to blow a gasket over something; history proves this to be true. I'm good with signing a top tier lineman, but if the front office determines that they want to add a 2nd tier veteran to help bridge the development of the young guys, I think that's a sound backup strategy.

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed that the Colts didn't pick up someone like Slauson, Chad Rinehart, or Geoff Schwartz. All those guys were picked for cheap, short deals.

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed that the Colts didn't pick up someone like Slauson, Chad Rinehart, or Geoff Schwartz. All those guys were picked for cheap, short deals.

A lot of us were. They were obviously satisfied with Satele and McGlynn. I'm hoping they don't make a similar mistake this year.

Guest TeamLoloJones

As you allude to, we might not be able to get a star lineman. I'd gladly take a 2nd tier guy, as he'd be better than our garbage tier guys we've been dealing with the last two years. Like I said, Matt Slauson would have been a tremendous get for us this year, or Brian de la Puente, who was considered a 2nd tier guy last offseason. In that case, we'd still be relying on the young guys to develop and eventually take over, and I think that's best case scenario. The draft is still the lifeblood of the organization, or at least it should be.

Now if we get a stud guard or center, I have no problem rearranging the depth chart to fit them in, even if it means bumping Holmes or Thornton back down. But we drafted them hoping that they'd be the injection of talent you're talking about, eventually. (Please don't tell me how they're 3rd and 4th rounders; de la Puente was undrafted, Asamoah was a 3rd rounder, Deitrich-Smith was undrafted.)

You mentioned earlier that the fan base is going to blow a gasket if we don't sign a stud lineman. That might be true, but the fan base is going to blow a gasket over something; history proves this to be true. I'm good with signing a top tier lineman, but if the front office determines that they want to add a 2nd tier veteran to help bridge the development of the young guys, I think that's a sound backup strategy.

I agree with you...In my mocks, I've only added a Center.  I've left our guards (including another draft pick) to fend for themselves.  I have faith in Thomas and Thornton.  At center, I have less faith in Holmes, but I think he could be the eventual starter if we don't get someone else in FA.  I don't care where they were drafted, I don't let that fact cloud my judgement.  I just think we hit the nail on the head with Cherilus, and we could be one good center away from having a very good o-line.  Another thing is injuries.  I'd like to go into the season next year knowing we have 8-9 guys that can play vs. this year where we have 2 people (Satele, McGlynn) who I'm not sure are good enough to be backups, let alone starters.  (McGlynn continues to play well a C though)  The more I think about our offensive line, the more I think about protecting our entire franchise (Luck) and I don't want to "screw" around developing players, or having camp battles, or anything.  I don't want diamonds in the rough, or late round draft steals.  I want PRO BOWL TALENT protecting our QB, and I want it as soon as possible.  Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting, but everytime Luck gets hit (even if it's his fault) I throw a book across the room.

Guest TeamLoloJones

You left a few guys out that appear to be in the future plans for the Colt like Adongo

I actually updated my latest mock to have Adongo on the roster. My next mock will more than likely have Whalen on the roster too.  It's a fluid process.

I agree with you...In my mocks, I've only added a Center.  I've left our guards (including another draft pick) to fend for themselves.  I have faith in Thomas and Thornton.  At center, I have less faith in Holmes, but I think he could be the eventual starter if we don't get someone else in FA.  I don't care where they were drafted, I don't let that fact cloud my judgement.  I just think we hit the nail on the head with Cherilus, and we could be one good center away from having a very good o-line.  Another thing is injuries.  I'd like to go into the season next year knowing we have 8-9 guys that can play vs. this year where we have 2 people (Satele, McGlynn) who I'm not sure are good enough to be backups, let alone starters.  (McGlynn continues to play well a C though)  The more I think about our offensive line, the more I think about protecting our entire franchise (Luck) and I don't want to "screw" around developing players, or having camp battles, or anything.  I don't want diamonds in the rough, or late round draft steals.  I want PRO BOWL TALENT protecting our QB, and I want it as soon as possible.  Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting, but everytime Luck gets hit (even if it's his fault) I throw a book across the room.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't think that kind of lurching decision making is good for building a team in the salary cap era. We've invested picks in Thornton and Holmes, and eventually they have to get a shot. Again, I'm not saying that I don't think we should sign a veteran center because we have Holmes, but I do think that you have to build through the draft. 

Long term view: We have Castonzo coming up for a new deal soon. We have Cherilus with a bunch of money on his deal (and rapidly increasing cap hits). If you add a center at top tier cost, you're tying up a lot of money into the offensive line. That's why you want to have the drafted guys eventually step into the starting lineup, so you're not paying big money to 3/5ths of your line. Developing young guys and having camp battles is how you build a team. I don't know why you're turning your nose up at that. It's necessary.

Assume Satele and McGlynn are gone (I disagree that McGlynn has played well at center; I think he's been better than he is at guard, which isn't saying much, and he's been better than Satele, which is probably saying even less). In a perfect world, Thomas, Holmes and Thornton are the future. If you have a shot at a significant upgrade, you take it, absolutely. But if Mack, de la Puente and Dietrich-Smith are all in the $6-7m/year range and up, and you can get a secondary guy on a one or two year deal, I think it might be better, long term, to take the secondary guy. It's still an upgrade over Satele and McGlynn at center, presumably. And it still allows you to press the young guys development.

We agree that a premium has to be placed on protecting Luck. I just don't see us as being as far off as you evidently do. Getting rid of Satele is addition by subtraction (how thrilled we are with McGlynn at center is a testament to that). Even with growing pains, I can't see Holmes being worse than Satele has been. 

I'd be happy if we got one of the top tier guys, as I think that could be looked at as definitively solving the problem. But I don't think that's the only angle to be considered. And doing so would definitely hamper the development of the young guys and make it more difficult to handle the cap moving forward. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

I get where you're coming from, but I don't think that kind of lurching decision making is good for building a team in the salary cap era. We've invested picks in Thornton and Holmes, and eventually they have to get a shot. Again, I'm not saying that I don't think we should sign a veteran center because we have Holmes, but I do think that you have to build through the draft. 

Long term view: We have Castonzo coming up for a new deal soon. We have Cherilus with a bunch of money on his deal (and rapidly increasing cap hits). If you add a center at top tier cost, you're tying up a lot of money into the offensive line. That's why you want to have the drafted guys eventually step into the starting lineup, so you're not paying big money to 3/5ths of your line. Developing young guys and having camp battles is how you build a team. I don't know why you're turning your nose up at that. It's necessary.

Assume Satele and McGlynn are gone (I disagree that McGlynn has played well at center; I think he's been better than he is at guard, which isn't saying much, and he's been better than Satele, which is probably saying even less). In a perfect world, Thomas, Holmes and Thornton are the future. If you have a shot at a significant upgrade, you take it, absolutely. But if Mack, de la Puente and Dietrich-Smith are all in the $6-7m/year range and up, and you can get a secondary guy on a one or two year deal, I think it might be better, long term, to take the secondary guy. It's still an upgrade over Satele and McGlynn at center, presumably. And it still allows you to press the young guys development.

We agree that a premium has to be placed on protecting Luck. I just don't see us as being as far off as you evidently do. Getting rid of Satele is addition by subtraction (how thrilled we are with McGlynn at center is a testament to that). Even with growing pains, I can't see Holmes being worse than Satele has been. 

I'd be happy if we got one of the top tier guys, as I think that could be looked at as definitively solving the problem. But I don't think that's the only angle to be considered. And doing so would definitely hamper the development of the young guys and make it more difficult to handle the cap moving forward. 

As far as the camp battle and team buildning, I'm with you.  I'm just referring to specifically our center position.  I'm also looking as this offseason as an outlier (even though it would be similar to last years) in that we have a large amount of cap space, and a lack of draft picks.  Building through the draft is the right way to go, but like I said I think we would be best served in getting one more big talent (and thus a big $) guy on the line.  There's also the added fact that our OC and Head coach play a style of game, that we need an overpowering offensive line to be as successful as we want.  I think we are basically on the same page with this, but I'm playing my hand a little more aggressively.

As far as the camp battle and team buildning, I'm with you.  I'm just referring to specifically our center position.  I'm also looking as this offseason as an outlier (even though it would be similar to last years) in that we have a large amount of cap space, and a lack of draft picks.  Building through the draft is the right way to go, but like I said I think we would be best served in getting one more big talent (and thus a big $) guy on the line.  There's also the added fact that our OC and Head coach play a style of game, that we need an overpowering offensive line to be as successful as we want.  I think we are basically on the same page with this, but I'm playing my hand a little more aggressively.

So at what point do you say to one of the top tier FA centers "no thanks, that's too rich, we'll go another route"? Are you willing to do five years, $50m for Mack? That's basically what Carl Nicks got, and I think center is more important than guard. What about the others?

Yes, I simply based it on QB play.....

If you'd rather not discuss it, that is OK, but I'll be more specific.  What have you observed in their play to suggest that they are a quick fix in our scheme worthy of a long term multi-million dollar per year deal in excess of what their current team will offer?

Exactly - there are plenty of options that every team in the league uses as a back up plan to the development of their own talent, such as the names you have listed.  If our staff believes they are better back up plans than Reitz, Link, and McGlynn then I certainly hope they offer them a fair deal to compete with young guys we are developing.

Guest TeamLoloJones

So at what point do you say to one of the top tier FA centers "no thanks, that's too rich, we'll go another route"? Are you willing to do five years, $50m for Mack? That's basically what Carl Nicks got, and I think center is more important than guard. What about the others?

That's quite a lot for a center.  I think that would be too high even for me and my desperation to get him.  I'd go 5 years, $42 million.  That puts him in the same contract area as Ryan Kalil a few years ago.  I'm not really sure, we will have to see how many of these guys actually hit the open market to see the value.

If Grigson goes through this offseason with putting some serious talent on the offensive line, almost every single Colts' fan, including myself, and probably Mr. Irsay will be calling for Grigson's job.  WE MUST UPGRADE IT before we even think about doing anything else.

The infusion of talent was done last year.  Signing 2 starters to multi-year deals is a big deal and it's working.  Drafting two interior linemen the same year in the 3rd and 4th rounds.  Grigson is doing his job and staying the course is the next vital step in doing it.  Smart contracts given to good players.  Stay the course.  You've said so yourself in previous posts in this thread, but now you are back to the "we need to sign a star" for the O-line philosophy.  There aren't very many OG's in the hall of fame because their aren't very many stars.  Maybe 5 that have played in the last 25 years. There are only good players in good systems.  

If you'd rather not discuss it, that is OK, but I'll be more specific.  What have you observed in their play to suggest that they are a quick fix in our scheme worthy of a long term multi-million dollar per year deal in excess of what their current team will offer?

If you want to discuss it, then don't ask silly, mildly insulting questions. I'm not going to sit here and pretend to be an nfl scout, but any one can get on the internet machine and find opinions on who is respected at the center position......something as simple as PFF.

Paying a free agent more than what their current team is willing to pay isn't necessarily a bad thing nor excessive. Teams are often at the mercy of the salary cap and cant match what a player is worth on the open market. And a long term contract in the NFL is 3 years, which still allows the Colts to develop someone like Holmes. All in all I find your view on free agency antiquated.

That's quite a lot for a center.  I think that would be too high even for me and my desperation to get him.  I'd go 5 years, $42 million.  That puts him in the same contract area as Ryan Kalil a few years ago.  I'm not really sure, we will have to see how many of these guys actually hit the open market to see the value.

Like I've said, I don't think Mack leaves the Browns. If he does, it will be for BIG money.