Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Will Be the Texans QB Next Year

Bluefire4

Johnny Manziel :yay:

Jk What about A.J. McCarron.  He has won 3 BCS Championships but doesn't put up big numbers.  His he another Alex Smith?  Smith had 5,203 passing yards 47 TDs 8 INTs.  McCarron has 8,632 passing yards 75 TDs 13 INTs.  McCarron is 6'4'' 214 lb. and Smith is 6'4'' 217 lb.  He's a long shot for #1 overall pick but he has to be good if he won 3 BCS Championships, even if he does play for Alabama. 

Jk What about A.J. McCarron.  He has won 3 BCS Championships but doesn't put up big numbers.  His he another Alex Smith?  Smith had 5,203 passing yards 47 TDs 8 INTs.  McCarron has 8,632 passing yards 75 TDs 13 INTs.  McCarron is 6'4'' 214 lb. and Smith is 6'4'' 217 lb.  He's a long shot for #1 overall pick but he has to be good if he won 3 BCS Championships, even if he does play for Alabama. 

This

Go for Johnny Manziel. He is alreay in Texas... and won't have to travel far. Plus I can't wait to see him have a bad game, and pull a Ryan Leaf. The biggest potential for bust I have ever seen.

Johnny can play. The biggest bust ever has to be jamarcus blubber.

He has won 2 as a starter and he has no shot to be the #1

McCarron would only play well with good pieces around him which the Texans do have. Good fit but more of a third-fourth round prospect.

That's what I was wondering. Maybe they take a chance on McCarron in the 2nd or 3rd round (if he gets there) and they draft Jadeveon Clowney.. that could make their line dominate.

I think they go with Bridgewater.  With that team's defense and OL, they are a good QB (and possibly an upgrade at head coach) away from a Super Bowl run

This is exactly the thing I was afraid of after the Jags won again.  They have a lot of good pieces to ease a Rookie QB into the NFL and if they grab Bridgewater they are looking at a rookie QB with quite a bit of potential.

Quite frankly I havn't watched their games but I'm curious as to why they continue to lose.  Case Keenum's stats havn't blown anyone away but they havn't been terrible either.  Looks like a decent game manager which should be enough to get them some wins.

Let's not forget that they will also have high 2nd and 3rd rounders to improve the rest of their team as well.  

It may be tough to win the AFC South again next year.  

Their defense and O line are terrible though.

If Foster gets back healthy, I think he can get back to being a 1000+ yard rusher.  Their OL is solid; they can open up lanes in the running game and do a good job of pass protection.  Maybe they aren't as elite as they were the last few seasons, but they're still good.  Their defense is 3rd in total defense (yards per game), and 2nd in passing yards per game, both arguably without their 2nd best player in Brian Cushing.

If Foster gets back healthy, I think he can get back to being a 1000+ yard rusher.  Their OL is solid; they can open up lanes in the running game and do a good job of pass protection.  Maybe they aren't as elite as they were the last few seasons, but they're still good.  Their defense is 3rd in total defense (yards per game), and 2nd in passing yards per game, both arguably without their 2nd best player in Brian Cushing.

Yards who cares about yards, go look at red zone percentages for both, and points for both, tell me what you see...also we hardly ever make turnovers.

Yards who cares about yards, go look at red zone percentages for both, and points for both, tell me what you see...also we hardly ever make turnovers.

It may not be the best indicator, but it can say something about the defense.  To get to the red zone, teams have to first cross the field.  If the defense doesn't give up yards, the opponent doesn't make it to the red zone.  If the team keeps giving up yards, they become tired and demoralized and by the time the opposition is in the red zone, it's not a difficult task to score on a defense that is tired and lacks confidence.  Of course, no stat is perfect, but a healthy Texans defense can be pretty stout.

After they get Schaub off the books , it will be a little easier but their cap (114 mill.)is pretty ugly for 2014.

It may not be the best indicator, but it can say something about the defense.  To get to the red zone, teams have to first cross the field.  If the defense doesn't give up yards, the opponent doesn't make it to the red zone.  If the team keeps giving up yards, they become tired and demoralized and by the time the opposition is in the red zone, it's not a difficult task to score on a defense that is tired and lacks confidence.  Of course, no stat is perfect, but a healthy Texans defense can be pretty stout.

Yards still doesn't mean squat if you have such poor red zone play, as we have seen. Also we have a propensity to give up big plays and our coaching staff cannot adjust to saves their lives.

Yards still doesn't mean squat if you have such poor red zone play, as we have seen. Also we have a propensity to give up big plays and our coaching staff cannot adjust to saves their lives.

As much as I hate to say it but I think it will be better next year.  

If I where a Texans fan I'd be pumped about the draft and next year.  They get to pick the top rookie QB and they have a good O-line, 2 good RB's, a pro bowl WR, a pro bowl TE and a good rookie WR who will probably be better next year and that could be one scary looking offense.  Look at the Seahawks last year, they had all the pieces to ease Wilson into the NFL for the first half of the season and then they took off.

Houston has those pieces as well. 

Even if your defense was a bunch of no talent clowns (which they clearly arn't), the offense is reason enough to be excited about next year.  

Plus remember you'll have high 2nd and 3rd rounders to fill in any holes outside of QB.

As much as I hate to say it but I think it will be better next year.  

If I where a Texans fan I'd be pumped about the draft and next year.  They get to pick the top rookie QB and they have a good O-line, 2 good RB's, a pro bowl WR, a pro bowl TE and a good rookie WR who will probably be better next year and that could be one scary looking offense.  Look at the Seahawks last year, they had all the pieces to ease Wilson into the NFL for the first half of the season and then they took off.

Houston has those pieces as well. 

Even if your defense was a bunch of no talent clowns (which they clearly arn't), the offense is reason enough to be excited about next year.  

Plus remember you'll have high 2nd and 3rd rounders to fill in any holes outside of QB.

Their OLine sucks and needs 3 new starters.

Even if they draft a qb with an early first rounder, there will be growing pains as there almost always is with rookie qb's.

One of their 2 great rb's is a free agent, the other is injruy prone with a ton of miles on him.

Their Pro Bowl TE only made the pro bowl because several better TE's were not able to play in the game.  Kind of like Schaub: h e made the pro bowl last year too.  Is he also reason for excitement next year? 

Dre is a stud and will be next year.

Hopkins i expect to be much improved.

Correction he has won two championships....McElroy was behind center when Colt McCoy gave up and pretty much gave them the game in 2009.

No one seems to remember McElroy since he was drafted by the Jets and was a third stringer.

I like McCarron simply because he grew up 5 minutes from my home town but I don't see him molding well in the NFL, nor do I buy all the hype of him being this super elite quarterback.

Correction he has won two championships....McElroy was behind center when Colt McCoy gave up and pretty much gave them the game in 2009.

No one seems to remember McElroy since he was drafted by the Jets and was a third stringer.

I like McCarron simply because he grew up 5 minutes from my home town but I don't see him molding well in the NFL, nor do I buy all the hype of him being this super elite quarterback.

???

Colt got injured in that championship game. He didn't quit anything.

Their OLine sucks and needs 3 new starters.

Even if they draft a qb with an early first rounder, there will be growing pains as there almost always is with rookie qb's.

One of their 2 great rb's is a free agent, the other is injruy prone with a ton of miles on him.

Their Pro Bowl TE only made the pro bowl because several better TE's were not able to play in the game.  Kind of like Schaub: h e made the pro bowl last year too.  Is he also reason for excitement next year? 

Dre is a stud and will be next year.

Hopkins i expect to be much improved.

So sign some linemen and re-sign the other RB.  

The Texans don't have half the holes in it that the Colts do.  All around their team is more talented, we just have the better quarterback and it makes up for that.

And I'd rather take the growing pains of Bridgewater then try to ride Case Keenum or go through more Schaub pains.  

I think he'll go in the 3rd or 4th round.  McCarron is just hard to read because he's never had to carry that team, cause they've always had such a great running game, offensive line, and defense.

But lets remember that Russell Wilson wasn't exactly carrying Wisconsin either, he was a game manager there and had a lot of talent around him.  (I didn't see him play for NC State)

He could be good and we wouldn't know cause he's got so much talent around him.

But it is safest to assume that he's a game manager at best.  

So sign some linemen and re-sign the other RB.  

The Texans don't have half the holes in it that the Colts do.  All around their team is more talented, we just have the better quarterback and it makes up for that.

And I'd rather take the growing pains of Bridgewater then try to ride Case Keenum or go through more Schaub pains.  

Why would they need to sign any OL?  You said their OL is good.  Check out the Texans cap situation, though.....they won't be signing any OL, they won't be resigning Ben Tate, they won't be signing anyone except their draft picks this offseason.  That's a big reason they are in the situation they are in now:  poor cap management & having to let alot of their talent walk.....starting with losing the right side of their once good but now very poor OL 2 years ago.

And who says that the Colts have more holes?  You?  Well, I say they don't.  A fully healthy Colts roster was weak at 1 ILB position, 2 OL positions, another pass rusher, and lacked WR depth.  A not even fully healthy Colts roster kicked the crap out of San Francisco at San Francisco.   I say the Texans, at full health, are very weak at QB, OL, NT, OLB, ILB besides Cushing, # 2 & #3 CB and both S.  Everyone here in Houston seems to know and aknowledge this, I hear people like Seth Payne, Mike Meltzer, Rich Lord, Josh Innis discuss this ad nauseum every day;  i'm not sure why anyone is still parroting this outdated "Houston has alot of talent" nonsense like this is still 2009 and they actually did have alot of young talent.  Theres just no basis for it & nothing to quantify saying it.  And the standings certainly back my position way more than it backs yours.  The Texans remind of of late Bill Polian era Colts: 5-6 really good players and the rest interchangeable pedestrian players.

You should listen to local Houston media sometime.  It is a near consensus that the Texans window with this current core is completely closed, and given their current cap situation, a complete rebuild, with a new coach & QB, and possible a new GM, is more than likely in the works.  That doesn't happen if a team is merely a decent qb away from being right back in the thick of things.