Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 free agency breaking news

colts_100nascar17fan

Guest TeamLoloJones

It has just been reported that the raiders will be doing a spending spree because they will have 70+ million in free cap space. Hope they dont go after who we do cuz I dont see us over paying/out bidding a team with that kind of money.

We won't have to.  A lot of players would much rather come to Indy and play with Luck for less money, than go to Oakland.

I disagree, oakland is playing just as good or bad(depending on how u look at it)as we are. Most players go where the big pay day is. Oakland has its share of injuries all year,atleast their pee ons are playing decent. They are not a horrible team anymore.

We won't have to. A lot of players would much rather come to Indy and play with Luck for less money, than go to Oakland.

Pure nonsense.

Well I am not going to doubt that guys would rather play with Luck than go to Oakland but I don't think that's going to out weigh money if the Raiders out bid us on guys.  However look at Grigson's track record I don't think he's going to go after any big name free agents.  The only sorta big names he went after this off-season were Landry and GC and GC wasn't even on most Colts fans raiders. 

Raiders sign many free agents in the offseason:

• Matt Schaub QB - 5 Years, 58 Million Dollar Contract, 30.5 Million Guarenteed, 1 Million per Interception Signing Bonus
  • Darrius Heyward-Bey WR - Raiders bring back DHB on a 3 Year, 27 Million Dollar Contract, 1.5 Million per Drop Signing Bonus
  • Ben Tate HB - 4 Years, 35 Million Dollar Contract, 2 Million per McFadden injury Signing Bonus   
  • Brandon Pettigrew TE - 3 Years, 24 Million Dollar Contract, 12 Million Guarenteed
  • David Diehl OT - 3 Years, 21 Million Dollar Contract
  • Jonathan Vilma LB - 2 Years, 12 Million Dollar Contract, 3 Million per Hit on Defenseless Players Signing Bonus

Resign DE LaMarr Houston, S Charles Woodson, S Usama Young, CB Mike Jenkins 

Hopefully they don't offer jared veldheer (along with mack) a new contract, so we can get him. Yes, i would demote, trade or turn 'AC' into a guard.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they'll spend the $$$ to keep Veldheer, but hopefully they're content with Wisniewski at C and don't target Alex Mack...he's from Santa Barbara and played at Cal.

Hopefully they don't offer jared veldheer (along with mack) a new contract, so we can get him. Yes, i would demote, trade or turn 'AC' into a guard.

Why would you want to use money on a Tackle? We have way too many other needs to spend big money on a tackle when there is nothing wrong with AC.

This humors myself: we realistically need a= center,tackle,two guards,two or three wr's,punter(cant afford to spend alot on this position when ur offense n defense are embarrassingly bad),safety,inside n outside LB,de,nt/dt(vince wolfork type guy),cb that can stay healthy, im sure im missing something.

It would be nice to have all those and we do need depth at some of those positions but we do not need big names at all those positions.

Why would you want to use money on a Tackle? We have way too many other needs to spend big money on a tackle when there is nothing wrong with AC.

Let's be honest...'AC' is a servisable tackle, but nothing elite about him. I've seen him get blown up too many times.

Let's be honest...'AC' is a servisable tackle, but nothing elite about him. I've seen him get blown up too many times.

He is a good not "great" tackle ... No he is not elite, but we have too many other issues that need to be addressed to be spending huge amounts of money to try to upgrade positions where we already have good players.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Too bad 99% of players, and especially good players don't actually follow that mindset.

I disagree, oakland is playing just as good or bad(depending on how u look at it)as we are. Most players go where the big pay day is. Oakland has its share of injuries all year,atleast their pee ons are playing decent. They are not a horrible team anymore.

We won't have to. A lot of players would much rather come to Indy and play with Luck for less money, than go to Oakland.

Pure nonsense.

Alot of players leave money on the table in order to win a championship.  Players have been quoted saying that every single year.

Alot of players leave money on the table in order to win a championship.  Players have been quoted saying that every single year.

I guess it needs clarification.

A player at the end of the line in their time in the league may make that choice. A player seeking the big pay day that comes with their 2nd contract will choose the money virtually every time. On top of that, players say they came "for the chance to win" all the time but the likelihood is that where they signed was also the team offering the biggest contract.

On balance - players choose money waaaaaay more than any other factor.

Seriously?

Greg Jennings & Mike Wallace both chose Ryan Tannehill & Christian Ponder over Andrew Luck

Most player's (young ones) want the big $$$. They can go 0-16 for all they care, but they still get paid

Seriously?

Greg Jennings & Mike Wallace both chose Ryan Tannehill & Christian Ponder over Andrew Luck

Most player's (young ones) want the big $$$. They can go 0-16 for all they care, but they still get paid

Lets be real for what Wallace got paid I'd go for the big dirty too. There are always those guys that get over paid and there are the guys that want that ring.

No, they don't.  Players do that from time to time to stay with their current team but I challenge you to find one documented case where a players was offered a contract but took a smaller contract to go to a different team because they were more of a "contender".

Besides, Indy is not any more a 2014 contender than Oakland.

Honestly I would like to see us add a guard and or center in free agency. 

I'd probably like a WR too but honestly if Reggie comes back we might be able to live with our WR core with another stop gap guy and maybe draft one in the 2015 draft in the first round. 

i get the C, but you think we would go after a G? I mean, the team signd Donald who should be good next year, do you think they will close the door on Hughes? or you think Donald is Thomas will be the one benched

Let's be honest? Here's a DYK. The middle of the line is the problem. AC is fine. Better than serviceable. Put a few "serviceable" pieces on the line with him and all of the sudden Costonzo is looking like a pro bowler. 

When he gets beat it usually because the middle of the line can't figure out the stunts. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Seriously?

I wouldn't label those two as the smartest players in the league.  But I get what your saying.

Jay Cutler is a free agent, not sure if the Bears will franchise tag him, which they should right away.

Other than that, the Raiders might sign Michael Vick as a back up.

Then, they can go after guys like Jon Asamoah or Brandon Albert of the Chiefs, and Michael Oher of the Ravens too if they want for OL help. On D, they may go after Ziggy Hood of Steelers or Antonio Smith of Texans. The safety free agent class is deep with Jairus Byrd, Antoine Bethea and Donte Whitner, I would be shocked if they don't sign one of them. Plus, you have CBs like Talib, Brent Grimes, Vontae Davis, Tim Jennings etc. that are free agents too.

Let's be honest? Here's a DYK. The middle of the line is the problem. AC is fine. Better than serviceable. Put a few "serviceable" pieces on the line with him and all of the sudden Costonzo is looking like a pro bowler. 

When he gets beat it usually because the middle of the line can't figure out the stunts. 

I agree, that's he's okay currently, but long term,that's were i  have my doubts. We could do better than him, maybe not next year, but soon there after.

Guest TeamLoloJones

No, they don't.  Players do that from time to time to stay with their current team but I challange you to find one documented case where a players was offered a contract but took a smaller contract to go to a different team because they were more of a "contender".

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/peyton-manning-turned-down-more-money-tennessee-titans-205200221--nfl.html

I will give you that one, even though there is no actual proof of that Just Mort saying that and a ton of articles referencing Mort, and that goes exactly to what jskinnz talked about.

Bottom line is your original comment is not accurate, especially for the free agents the Colts and Raiders will be going after in 2014.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I will give you that one, even though there is no actual proof of that Just Mort saying that and a ton of articles referencing Mort, and that goes exactly to what jskinnz talked about.

Bottom line is your original comment is not accurate, especially for the free agents the Colts and Raiders will be going after in 2014.

How do you know if it's accurate or not if it hasn't happened yet?  We are both speculating but somehow you're right and I'm wrong.

No, they don't.  Players do that from time to time to stay with their current team but I challenge you to find one documented case where a players was offered a contract but took a smaller contract to go to a different team because they were more of a "contender".

You're mostly right about players not taking less money, though I believe it does happen from time to time.

I'm not sure what you're saying about Indy not being more of a contender than Oakland. No one knows what the future holds, but when surveying the NFL landscape, I can't understand anyone not agreeing that the Colts are much further ahead than the Raiders are.

You're mostly right about players not taking less money, though I believe it does happen from time to time.

I'm not sure what you're saying about Indy not being more of a contender than Oakland. No one knows what the future holds, but when surveying the NFL landscape, I can't understand anyone not agreeing that the Colts are much further ahead than the Raiders are.

Don't want to put words in Coffee's mouth but I think his point is that there are worst to first stories all the time in the NFL and vice versa. It is a long shot to be sure, but Oakland may very well be the better team in 2014.

I think this is also a reason players can convince themselves that going to the higher paying team despite their apparent short-falls is OK. You never know when a team might become the 1999 or 2012 Colts or the 2013 Chiefs.

I think it depends on the player.  A lot of players sign on the first day of free agency.  I have a hard time thinking they are looking for the biggest money deal.

That one does not prove the ultimate point. Manning has already made multi-millions. Winning is clearly the bigger thing to him and his legacy and his current contract is not having him beg for meals on street corners after practice. Guys at the end of their careers may be willing to make such a move. Not guys trying to max out their revenues, which is the bulk of the league.

Don't want to put words in Coffee's mouth but I think his point is that there are worst to first stories all the time in the NFL and vice versa. It is a long shot to be sure, but Oakland may very well be the better team in 2014.

I think this is also a reason players can convince themselves that going to the higher paying team despite their apparent short-falls is OK. You never know when a team might become the 1999 or 2012 Colts or the 2013 Chiefs.

Very well. His words were a bit more dogmatic than that. If a player was going to make a decision about where to play on the basis of which team is closer to winning a title, I can't imagine anyone picking the Raiders over the Colts. And I very much like what the Raiders are doing recently. But we're clearly closer than they are.