Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Many Keepers? (Both Leagues Respond)

Andy

8 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Keepers?

I should have mentioned this before the year, and although I did mention that this was a keeper league, I never mentioned how many.

Because I don't want to be unfair, I'll let you guys have a vote. Both leagues will have to have the same amount. 

I usually do 2 in my leagues, but I'm willing to vary a bit. 

Please explain how a keeper league works for those of us who never played one. I suppose I choose to keep 1, 2 or 3 players in my roster for the next year. How does it affect to next year's draft? If it's decided we have 3 keepers, do I have to keep 3 players or I could keep only 1 or 2?

I have a question on this though.

If I recollect correctly, the bottom finishers in the Elite were to drop to the Joe's, and the top finishers in the Joes were to be promoted to the Elite next year.

Doesn't that kinda put a crimp in the keeper situation?

I remember that as well..however, I want to stay in the joe's league..as long as it stays like it is.. We've developed some new friendships, and some intense rivalries, and some smack talk. Not sure if we'd get the same level in the other league...

Let's say with have a 2 keeper league.

In a nutshell, it means that you will have the opportunity to select, who you believe to be, your 2 most valuable players, or 2 players you want to "keep" for next year. 

It doesn't affect the draft much, it just means that there are 2 less rounds and the players that people have kept cannot be drafted obviously. In some leagues, you eliminate the round that you picked your keeper in, making things more strategic and complicated. We're not doing that. We're doing the simple old fashioned way where you just take off the top 2 rounds. 

I remember that as well..however, I want to stay in the joe's league..as long as it stays like it is.. We've developed some new friendships, and some intense rivalries, and some smack talk. Not sure if we'd get the same level in the other league...

I mean the point of having these two leagues was to get in the Elite League and stay. If you come in the top 2 in the Joes league, you move up and the bottom two of the Elite league move down. 

However, if you want to stay in the Joe's league, I'll give the spot to the guy who wins the 3rd place match. 

Let's say with have a 2 keeper league.

In a nutshell, it means that you will have the opportunity to select, who you believe to be, your 2 most valuable players, or 2 players you want to "keep" for next year. 

It doesn't affect the draft much, it just means that there are 2 less rounds and the players that people have kept cannot be drafted obviously. In some leagues, you eliminate the round that you picked your keeper in, making things more strategic and complicated. We're not doing that. We're doing the simple old fashioned way where you just take off the top 2 rounds. 

O.K., so let's say we agree to 2 keepers.

Everyone selects their 2 keepers, but I don't want to keep anyone.

Are we saying I get to pick the first two available players, then the draft starts in round 3?

Just trying to pose an obviously unusual situation so the overall can be clarified.

I mean the point of having these two leagues was to get in the Elite League and stay. If you come in the top 2 in the Joes league, you move up and the bottom two of the Elite league move down. 

However, if you want to stay in the Joe's league, I'll give the spot to the guy who wins the 3rd place match. 

Agreed, but how does this impact the keeper situation?

O.K., so let's say we agree to 2 keepers.

Everyone selects their 2 keepers, but I don't want to keep anyone.

Are we saying I get to pick the first two available players, then the draft starts in round 3?

Just trying to pose an obviously unusual situation so the overall can be clarified.

I'll have to look over those details, but that could be a possibility. If we did an offline draft that would be easy and definitely doable. If we're talking about an online draft, it's more difficult and I highly recommend to keep players. If you like a guy on one team, and that person is not keeping him, try and trade for him.

Agreed, but how does this impact the keeper situation?

Ok, so there's the bottom 2 of the Elite league and the top 2 of the Joe's league.

2nd worst team (Elite league) --> Gets to choose the 2 vacant teams in the Joe's league and in turn will pick 2 keepers.

Worst team (Elite league) --> Gets the other team

As for the other way around:

Best team (Joe's league) --> Gets to choose either of the 2 vacant teams in the Elite league and in turn will pick 2 keepers.

2nd best team (Joe's league) --> Gets the other team and chooses keepers from there.

Hope that clarifies some things. 

I understand, and I'll go if I'm top 2..I was saying I like the Joe's league the way it is..most of us got involved with some friendly smack talk, and got close..but if the top 2 move out, it takes away from that, since TK and IndyD4U will probably be the teams moving up..I'll go with the flow..and if I make top 2..I'll be sure to give Silent a run for his money.

And just one question..so the Super Bowl finalists move up? not the 2 regular season leaders..is that correct?

I'll have to look over those details, but that could be a possibility. If we did an offline draft that would be easy and definitely doable. If we're talking about an online draft, it's more difficult and I highly recommend to keep players. If you like a guy on one team, and that person is not keeping him, try and trade for him.

Ok, so there's the bottom 2 of the Elite league and the top 2 of the Joe's league.

2nd worst team (Elite league) --> Gets to choose the 2 vacant teams in the Joe's league and in turn will pick 2 keepers.

Worst team (Elite league) --> Gets the other team

As for the other way around:

Best team (Joe's league) --> Gets to choose either of the 2 vacant teams in the Elite league and in turn will pick 2 keepers.

2nd best team (Joe's league) --> Gets the other team and chooses keepers from there.

Hope that clarifies some things. 

I've never done one, but can't imaging an offline draft would be all that easy. At least with an online, someone would get auto picks, at the very least. 2 sounds like a decent number to me, but sounds like the details can be discussed more when the time gets closer. Also, can you trade draft picks in an online draft (way in advance, of course)?

Thanks for the clarification on the movement of two teams each way.

I understand, and I'll go if I'm top 2..I was saying I like the Joe's league the way it is..most of us got involved with some friendly smack talk, and got close..but if the top 2 move out, it takes away from that, since TK and IndyD4U will probably be the teams moving up..I'll go with the flow..and if I make top 2..I'll be sure to give Silent a run for his money.

And just one question..so the Super Bowl finalists move up? not the 2 regular season leaders..is that correct?

That is correct.

I've never done one, but can't imaging an offline draft would be all that easy. At least with an online, someone would get auto picks, at the very least. 2 sounds like a decent number to me, but sounds like the details can be discussed more when the time gets closer. Also, can you trade draft picks in an online draft (way in advance, of course)?

Thanks for the clarification on the movement of two teams each way.

Oh yeah, we would never do an offline draft unless we set something up on this forum, but that would be too long and strenuous. I was just using that as an example.

I always find that keepers make things more interesting too.

You can trade draft picks before.

Finally, yes, I am open to little changes (hence this thread) to the keepers. I want to find ways to accommodate everyone and make everything fair.

Lot of information here,  I was in a keeper league this year for the first time.  Not sure if a big fan or not yet, time will tell.   Can make it interesting if you happened to catch a couple a real great players and know you will have them again.  On the flip side,  no one else hoping to maybe get them the next time around will have that opportunity.   I am ok with doing a Keeper although with my performance this year,  not sure I want any of my guys back, lol.   As to how many,  2 sounds like a good number but definitely no more 3.   League I was in had 10 and that just seemed ridiculous to me.   Don't remember the discussion about teams switching leagues,  but I have no concerns as I know I am not going anywhere.   Enjoyed the season,  only real highlight was whooping TY the first time we met,  you knew I had to at least rub that in my friend.