Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If You Were A College Qb, Would You Come To The Colts?

I'm trying to duck the Luck thing..but as the losses pile up...

..we clearly will get a Top10 draft choice....and the question comes to my mind...

But try looking at it this way.

If you are Luck or Kellen Moore of Boise.....

..would you WANT TO come to Indy and possibly sit 4 years behind Peyton Manning..

...knowing the outside chance that he does NOT return and you inheret a veteran laden team..

..but also knowing that he can show you what he does...virtually assuring that you'll be at least 1/2 as good as he is...

..or would you look at Manning's history of not missing a game or a practice and say: Thanks Mr. Polian..but please DO NOT draft me.

..I would not be happy not starting for 4 seasons....and the star players you have now will be gone by 2016.....

If you were somebody like John Brantley of Florida or Matt Barkley of USC or that big kid from Oklahoma State..or any draft eligible QB....what would you tell the Polians when they called you...??

Is being willing to sit 4 years an admission that your are not sure you can play in the NFL..?

Or is it a testament to the fact that you believe you could follow Peyton Manning?

to learn from one of the best ever and get paid to hold a clipboard sure

But rule..

Mathis and Freeney and Reggie and Joe Addai and Saturday will retire with Peyton...

They wont be here in 2016...

..and dont let the Polians know you're eager to sit and cash their 7-figure checks for 4 years for note keeping

Manning is going to be a rough act to follow.

Even moreso if we continue to insist on being completely dependent on the QB position to win us games.

That's the deal .....Jaric....

Whoever comes in may not be able to learn Manning's ways....

because we (or the next coach) may not want an offense that nobody else can run...

That's the deal .....Jaric....

Whoever comes in may not be able to learn Manning's ways....

because we (or the next coach) may not want an offense that nobody else can run...

Regardless of the offensive system being run, Manning would still be able to mentor any young QB coming it. If nothing else, just learning what it takes to be successful as a professional QB. How to prepare. How to study film. I know these guys do that in college already, but it's a huge jump in the NFL (if for nothing else, the amount of time spent compared to college)

Plus..rookie contracts are for 3 years now......right?

...and you could leave if your wished to......

..or you could get a guaranteed deal for 3 more years...

6 years of good money....but you'd have to choke down your competeitive instincts because you'd be riding the bench a lot more than you'd ever done in your life..

Plus..rookie contracts are for 3 years now......right?

...and you could leave if your wished to......

..or you could get a guaranteed deal for 3 more years...

6 years of good money....but you'd have to choke down your competeitive instincts because you'd be riding the bench a lot more than you'd ever done in your life..

Rookie deals can be anything they want now, other than un-affordable like they used to be.

And I'd loooove to see any QB, Luck, Tom Brady, or otherwise come in here and whine about pine riding behind Manning... That would nearly be career suicide.

Top QBs dont want to be paid to hold the clip board, at least more than a couple years, three at most. They want to play.

And anyone we draft will be playing in about 3 years if not sooner. The Colts are a stable organization with a strong direction ahead and good leadership and bones, why wouldn't anyone want to play here.

If I was Luck I would not mind being drafted by the Colts for the first couple years, but that third and fourth year probably would drive me nuts. For two years to sit and learn from one of the greatest would be invaluable, but at some point your competitive streak kicks in and you will want to play. I could wait one or two years, but going into my third year I would be itching to play and the possibility of sitting another two years would be killer.

I think you also take for granted how much a Manning mentored QB would play. It would be vastly different from what we're used to. I'd wager he'd get a ton of clean up duty because when he HAS to start you want him to be comfortable with it. He's not going to spend his entire career on the bench until we HAVE to use him.

And anyone we draft will be playing in about 3 years if not sooner. The Colts are a stable organization with a strong direction ahead and good leadership and bones, why wouldn't anyone want to play here.

Maybe. But Manning might play 6 more years....He's like that.

Luck, Moore. Brantley.....They're not going to be Manning, agreed..?

They would sit and like John says..they'd have to learn to be quiet about it..

hasent Painter been mentoring behind Payton? and in all that time he wasent getting any snaps anywhere not in the games, not in practice. he kinna knows the playbook, but by no means can he walk in paytons shoes, just because he was mentoring behind him. so if I was any of them guys id rather go somewhere id be playing before 3-4 years. cause if they come here and payton is healthy, they wont even need to suit up as they wont be getting any playing time anytime soon

But see my post above yours. If we draft a QB to be mentored by Manning for the future he WILL see the field more than any other QB we've seen since Manning came to town.

hasent Painter been mentoring behind Payton? and in all that time he wasent getting any snaps anywhere not in the games, not in practice. he kinna knows the playbook, but by no means can he walk in paytons shoes, just because he was mentoring behind him. so if I was any of them guys id rather go somewhere id be playing before 3-4 years. cause if they come here and payton is healthy, they wont even need to suit up as they wont be getting any playing time anytime soon

No.

We drafted Painter to be a backup. The next QB we draft is going to be the future, for better or worse.

I'm trying to duck the Luck thing..but as the losses pile up...

..we clearly will get a Top10 draft choice....and the question comes to my mind...

But try looking at it this way.

If you are Luck or Kellen Moore of Boise.....

..would you WANT TO come to Indy and possibly sit 4 years behind Peyton Manning..

...knowing the outside chance that he does NOT return and you inheret a veteran laden team..

..but also knowing that he can show you what he does...virtually assuring that you'll be at least 1/2 as good as he is...

..or would you look at Manning's history of not missing a game or a practice and say: Thanks Mr. Polian..but please DO NOT draft me.

..I would not be happy not starting for 4 seasons....and the star players you have now will be gone by 2016.....

If you were somebody like John Brantley of Florida or Matt Barkley of USC or that big kid from Oklahoma State..or any draft eligible QB....what would you tell the Polians when they called you...??

Is being willing to sit 4 years an admission that your are not sure you can play in the NFL..?

Or is it a testament to the fact that you believe you could follow Peyton Manning?

Kellen Moore will not have to make that decision as a top 10 pick.

But see my post above yours. If we draft a QB to be mentored by Manning for the future he WILL see the field more than any other QB we've seen since Manning came to town.

Possibly...but..when would that time be?

....Manning is a control freak....and Caldwell (if he's here) isnt going to sub in a rookie star with anything on the line.,.

there's a chance than Manning is diminished physically as he nears 40.....and the new boy would play all the exhibition games

..but do you really see an Indy coach telling a healthy Manning to sit a series so this young blood can get some in-game snaps?

I dont.

Most fans will think like fans and say yes lol... a player will say no.. he wants to play, get the play time and what not... i doubt Andre Luck will want to come to the colts and WAIT to play when he knows he could be a leader and compete on pretty much any other team.

Kellen Moore could very easily come to the Colts because he's more of a self-made QB than he is super athlete..

He's Manning's little brother.. (no offense to Eli)

Kellen Moore is not a top ten pick. He is not even a first round pick because what he lacks in prototypical QB size he makes up for with a noodle arm. Putting him and Luck in the same sentence with the premise of your thread is not accurate.

Not for 4 years. I'd be willing to sit one year with a guaruntee that Peyton leaves the next so I would be the starting job.

Agreed. If I'm a top 10 pick then one year on the bench tops. A QB beyond a top 10-15 pick has no guarantee of starting from day 1 anywhere so they don't have the options that a top 10-15 pick QB has, imo.

I would put our cap on...walk-up and shake his hand and tell him that's its the best decision he ever made.That's exactly what tom brady did.

Bad example. He was a 6th round pick so even to say he was drafted with the sole intention of taking over the NE franchise is debatable. No way did he have any delusions that he'd be starting day 1.

That's nice to say in theory but until the day comes we have no way of knowing if that will actually happen or not.

Possibly...but..when would that time be?

....Manning is a control freak....and Caldwell (if he's here) isnt going to sub in a rookie star with anything on the line.,.

there's a chance than Manning is diminished physically as he nears 40.....and the new boy would play all the exhibition games

..but do you really see an Indy coach telling a healthy Manning to sit a series so this young blood can get some in-game snaps?

I dont.

If we get a three score lead, play him for a drive or two. If he does well, leave him in and help preserve Manning.

But I think it would be wise to put him in a "hot water" type situation as well. I don't mean during a game winning drive or something, but down by a score in the second quarter, put him in on a first down and see what he does. If he handles first well, let him take second down. If he handles that well, see if he can lead us to the red zone.

Up until now doing such a thing with Peyton and a backup made absolutely no sense, but it does now if we want our next attempted franchise QB to be Manning-taught. Manning can teach him all he'll ever need to know, but actual game experience is still the best teacher. The Manning knowledge being instilled in him will just put him that much more ahead of the curve.

Kellen Moore is not a top ten pick. He is not even a first round pick because what he lacks in prototypical QB size he makes up for with a noodle arm. Putting him and Luck in the same sentence with the premise of your thread is not accurate.

That's making my point....

That's why we get him.....

Polian trades our high No.1 for two low No.1 s..

We just disagree..I think 'noodle arm' Moore can be Drew Brees...and he's smart enough to grasp what Manning does...

..I dont care where we draft him......watch him play

.. I dislike Boise State greatly...because they want max credit for beating bad teams..

but Moore is very, very good and he doesnt carried the ego-fed hype which would make it tough for him to sit behind Manning.

..and John could be right about the increased playing time for our No.2 in 2012, 2013 and so on...

Why does this debate continue everyday, just in a different thread? Seriously, Im a big proponent of bringing in Luck if the Colts get the chance, but if they don't get the chance then, oh well! I will pull for whoever we draft and hope he helps the team to his fullest potential. Why do we need to debate if Luck or whatever QB would even want to come here? Nobody knows the answer 100% although, there are people here that act like they live with Luck and know exactly what he'll do.

Why does this debate continue everyday, just in a different thread? Seriously, Im a big proponent of bringing in Luck if the Colts get the chance, but if they don't get the chance then, oh well! I will pull for whoever we draft and hope he helps the team to his fullest potential. Why do we need to debate if Luck or whatever QB would even want to come here? Nobody knows the answer 100% although, there are people here that act like they live with Luck and know exactly what he'll do.

Balzer..

....the debate continues until we win a game...probably...

Debate is pretty much what we do here..

If I limited my comments to things I knew for 100% sure would happen..

I'd never post anything... :duh:

Yes Manning may play 6 more years, just hopefully not in a Colts uniform.

Balzer..

....the debate continues until we win a game...probably...

Debate is pretty much what we do here..

If I limited my comments to things I knew for 100% sure would happen..

I'd never post anything... :duh:

I understand, It's just that there is already so many Luck threads to begin with. I really want the kid here, but to be honest, im sick of hearing about the subject. Really not trying to be rude but im in a weird mood today.

I would put our cap on...walk-up and shake his hand and tell him that's its the best decision he ever made.That's exactly what tom brady did.

Yeah, but the Patriots didn't have one of the greatest quarterbacks ever on their roster for potentially 4-6 more years.

No. The money isn't what it used to be, so the likelihood of earning that big paycheck with your next contract is substantially lower if you're sitting behind Peyton. The NFL has actually structured the rookie contracts well enough now that success is needed to earn elite pay, and a guy just won't get that chance for a while.

If I were a high caliber QB, I'd be pushing heavily for the 'Fins or Skins. I don't think you see many guys refuse to play for a team because most don't actually have a QB like the Colts sitting out. Teams in the top 10 picks usually have bad teams, period. The Colts are in a very odd situation.

No. The money isn't what it used to be, so the likelihood of earning that big paycheck with your next contract is substantially lower if you're sitting behind Peyton. The NFL has actually structured the rookie contracts well enough now that success is needed to earn elite pay, and a guy just won't get that chance for a while.

If I were a high caliber QB, I'd be pushing heavily for the 'Fins or Skins. I don't think you see many guys refuse to play for a team because most don't actually have a QB like the Colts sitting out. Teams in the top 10 picks usually have bad teams, period. The Colts are in a very odd situation.

If the colts do have that number 1 pick i could imagine how many teams would be licking their chops at that slot... you could imagine what they would give for that position.... but i would rather have the colts 10-6, the colts dont need a Andrew Luck... with a good defense who knows where the colts and painter would be right now.. 4-2?