Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Walden should be cut for that.

Dustin

It was correct to pick it up, but don't throw the flag in the first place if you aren't sure what happened. Especially when a player trips himself, and a flag is thrown.

On that call a back official threw the flag and from back there it probably did look like hitting him out of bounds, but the front official had a better view and told him that the player pulled up but their feet got tangled.  That is the way it's supposed to work and why they have multiple officials.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cut for what, all the late hits the titans was doing , walden did what he had to it was dirty but so be it we won and he was big down the stretch 

No it wasn't "big."

It didn't do anything but continue a scoring drive for the Titans. 

EDIT: Misread what you wrote, but the point still stands.

On that call a back official threw the flag and from back there it probably did look like hitting him out of bounds, but the front official had a better view and told him that the player pulled up but their feet got tangled. That is the way it's supposed to work and why they have multiple officials.

I already addressed this with Superman, but I don't like the trigger finger, paranoia that refs seem to have lately.

I don't want them throwing flags because maybe, possibly, could be, from my angle something looked bad. It's the job of the guy who told him "No no no, no one hit late out of bounds", to throw the flag. Because he has the best angle and he's the voice that counts.

Ultimately, on that play, it's useless to throw the flag if your the back judge because your angle is skewed. Then you're relying on the guy who actually had the good angle and didn't throw the flag, to overrule you if your wrong, which he was, and we start right back at the guys with the best angles making the call.

What if something had happened to the sideline ref? Maybe he gets knocked over incidentally and doesn't get to see the "late hit". Then a bad call stands because a ref sees ghosts. Especially on plays like that, I see no harm in having a quick conference first before deciding on throwing a flag, or not.

But on blatant calls like the too many men on the field? Not a flag in sight.

I know they aren't perfect, and I know they're humans doing the best they can, but often times they aren't even adequate. I just want more consistency from the officials. And in my wildest dream, a little more accountability lol.

watch the replay he barely got it. Again you can't touch the QBs helmet at all with anything. People might not like the rule and that's fine but he still made minor contact that one was called correctly.

Where I take issue with many of these calls is that they're against the spirit of the rule. Akin to a 15 yard penalty for lookin' at a guy funny, where there is no intent and no harm, they have to retool the rules to be more clear about "forcible contact". 

A grazing helmet swipe is pretty easy to disseminate from a forcible blow to the head. As well, the physics involved will cause a QB to contact the defender, as we saw with the Mathis hit last night. 

i.e. Mathis didn't hit Fitz to the head. Mathis hit Fitz and Fitz, in turn, contacted Mathis. 

I said it in another thread. the way things are going, soon the QB will be downed on contact ala flag football. It's seriously getting to that point. 

cut for what, all the late hits the titans was doing , walden did what he had to it was dirty but so be it we won and he was big down the stretch

1) Fans should never be happy with a dirty play

2) Dirty play is never called for

3) Everyone knows the Titans take cheap shots, its their team's MO. You need to be discplined enough to not stoop to their level, as thats the entire point of them doing it, to draw 15 yard hankies.

It was just bad in every aspect, and I can only imagine Pagano was furious about it.

Dude just straight up assaulted a guy on the field.

Well, you can`t pay the guy back off the field.

You have seen him play a lot of dirty ball this season already. This should finally be it?

Me, I figure it was a Reaction, it is what it is and BAD. Maybe worth it to him to get a fine in response to something that was something he deemed Dirty beyond acceptance. Destroying his knee? No, Maybe the guy got off lite!

listen walden made plays this yr we our not were we are with out him, he made a bone head move but to be cut srs do u here your self 

I already backed off of him being cut. That was just me venting. 

He should definitely be suspended though. 

Well, you can`t pay the guy back off the field.

You have seen him play a lot of dirty ball this season already. This should finally be it?

Me, I figure it was a Reaction, it is what it is and BAD. Maybe worth it to him to get a fine in response to something that was something he deemed Dirty beyond acceptance. Destroying his knee? No, Maybe the guy got off lite!

I haven't really seen Walden do anything dirty this season aside from this incident. 

1) Fans should never be happy with a dirty play

2) Dirty play is never called for

3) Everyone knows the Titans take cheap shots, its their team's MO. You need to be discplined enough to not stoop to their level, as thats the entire point of them doing it, to draw 15 yard hankies.

It was just bad in every aspect, and I can only imagine Pagano was furious about it.

every player loses their cool this is not the dungy era of all upstanding guys, guys get angry walker was talking smack etc...cursing if u read his lips, was it overboard yes but walden lost his cool it happens to the best of them

I already backed off of him being cut. That was just me venting. 

He should definitely be suspended though. 

yea i agree , he should be benched to start the next game benched the 1st quarter for that helmet hit , he could have hurt walker , but u have to take into account his history so a 1st quarter benching would be suitable ? 

Walden reacted to Walker talking trash to him. Walker was interviewed about it and said he was talking crap basically because he "whupping" Walden(his words). Walden apparently got sick of hearing it and let him have it. Yes, it was stupid. Yes, it was childish, and Yes, it was bush league, but people actually pulling for one of our own players to be suspended, seems *ic IMO. If you've never been pushed to the point where you want to do the exact same thing to somebody, then you're probably under 12 yrs. old. It was in the heat of the moment type thing, he lost his head and reacted, but I would never actually want one of our own players to be suspended for something like that. Now if he would have thrown him to the ground and stomped on his throat with his cleats, then yes, I would say suspend him, but what he done really isn't that big of a deal IMO and apparently the refs didn't think so either. Maybe the refs heard Walker talking trash and thought he deserved it. Who knows?

I already addressed this with Superman, but I don't like the trigger finger, paranoia that refs seem to have lately.

I don't want them throwing flags because maybe, possibly, could be, from my angle something looked bad. It's the job of the guy who told him "No no no, no one hit late out of bounds", to throw the flag. Because he has the best angle and he's the voice that counts.

Ultimately, on that play, it's useless to throw the flag if your the back judge because your angle is skewed. Then you're relying on the guy who actually had the good angle and didn't throw the flag, to overrule you if your wrong, which he was, and we start right back at the guys with the best angles making the call.

What if something had happened to the sideline ref? Maybe he gets knocked over incidentally and doesn't get to see the "late hit". Then a bad call stands because a ref sees ghosts. Especially on plays like that, I see no harm in having a quick conference first before deciding on throwing a flag, or not.

But on blatant calls like the too many men on the field? Not a flag in sight.

I know they aren't perfect, and I know they're humans doing the best they can, but often times they aren't even adequate. I just want more consistency from the officials. And in my wildest dream, a little more accountability lol.

This post shows you have very little understanding of the roles of the refs.  They have two on the sideline, one in back.  The back ref is looking at things above the waist, the fron is looking below the waist.  From the back ref it looked like a late hit, from the one in front it didn't.  They discussed what happened.  Again that is the way it's supposed to work.

There are a few things to complain about regarding the refs, throwing a flag and then picking it up because someone else had a better angle to see exactly what happened is a pretty stupid thing to complain about.

Walden reacted to Walker talking trash to him. Walker was interviewed about it and said he was talking crap basically because he "whupping" Walden(his words). Walden apparently got sick of hearing it and let him have it. Yes, it was stupid. Yes, it was childish, and Yes, it was bush league, but people actually pulling for one of our own players to be suspended, seems *ic IMO. If you've never been pushed to the point where you want to do the exact same thing to somebody, then you're probably under 12 yrs. old. It was in the heat of the moment type thing, he lost his head and reacted, but I would never actually want one of our own players to be suspended for something like that. Now if he would have thrown him to the ground and stomped on his throat with his cleats, then yes, I would say suspend him, but what he done really isn't that big of a deal IMO and apparently the refs didn't think so either. Maybe the refs heard Walker talking trash and thought he deserved it. Who knows?

Munchak said officials didnt see Erik Walden head-butt of Delanie Walker as it occurred or he would have been ejected.

This post shows you have very little understanding of the roles of the refs. They have two on the sideline, one in back. The back ref is looking at things above the waist, the fron is looking below the waist. From the back ref it looked like a late hit, from the one in front it didn't. They discussed what happened. Again that is the way it's supposed to work.

There are a few things to complain about regarding the refs, throwing a flag and then picking it up because someone else had a better angle to see exactly what happened is a pretty stupid thing to complain about.

I actually have a good grasp on how the refs work and their various placements on the field. Thanks though :).

The point I was making, which you clearly disagree with, quite disrespectfully for no apparent reason I might add, is that I don't like the current NFL mentality of "Throw a flag first, ask questions later."

Don't care for it, because if the ref who saw it correct and had the right angle, is taken out of that play, a bad call stands. If you like the current setup, good on you. I personally don't.

I also commented that it was a good job on the pick up, but I didn't believe a flag there was necessary in the first place. So despite you acting like I'm kicking my feet, screaming, and complaining. I merely offered my take, that I don't like the current mentality.

Just because the ref system is in place and it "worked like it should" as you say, doesn't mean it has no flaws. Doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have problems with it. I.E 14 men on the defense that all the checks and balances missed. I

Now if you want to have an real conversation about the refs with me, or anything for that matter, don't take the uppity "Clearly you know nothing and I know everything because I disagree with your viewpoints" approach. Because if that's how you want to interact with me, kindly put me on your ignore list.

I come here to talk about my opinions, and listen to others. Not be told I'm an * who knows nothing, simply because we disagree.

Munchak said officials didnt see Erik Walden head-butt of Delanie Walker as it occurred or he would have been ejected.

Ok, but I still don't want him suspended for it. It was a cheap shot and he should have hammered him legally, but it doesn't bother me that our players won't take crap from a trash talking * on the field. 

I actually have a good grasp on how the refs work and their various placements on the field. Thanks though :).

The point I was making, which you clearly disagree with, quite disrespectfully for no apparent reason I might add, is that I don't like the current NFL mentality of "Throw a flag first, ask questions later."

Don't care for it, because if the ref who saw it correct and had the right angle, is taken out of that play, a bad call stands. If you like the current setup, good on you. I personally don't.

I also commented that it was a good job on the pick up, but I didn't believe a flag there was necessary in the first place. So despite you acting like I'm kicking my feet, screaming, and complaining. I merely offered my take, that I don't like the current mentality.

Just because the ref system is in place and it "worked like it should" as you say, doesn't mean it has no flaws. Doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have problems with it. I.E 14 men on the defense that all the checks and balances missed. I

Now if you want to have an real conversation about the refs with me, or anything for that matter, don't take the uppity "Clearly you know nothing and I know everything because I disagree with your viewpoints" approach. Because if that's how you want to interact with me, kindly put me on your ignore list.

I come here to talk about my opinions, and listen to others. Not be told I'm an * who knows nothing, simply because we disagree.

Oh my word you like to cry.  Just a few points.

One, I agree that a lot of refs are trigger happy, as you put it, and I don't like it.

Two, I didn't call you an *, I said whining about the refs on a play where the system worked as it should is stupid.  There is a big difference.

Three, if you don't think a ref, who's job it is to watch what happens on the sideline, should throw a flag because he may not have seen everything that happened on the play then that shows a complete lack of understanding of the role of the refs, there is no other way around that.  No ref has a 360° view of the play that is why they have more than one official.

Lastly, I did not call you an * who knows nothing.  But I think it says a lot about you that because we disagree that is what you assume I am saying.  Sad, really.

Really???  You don't think a guy (wearing a helmet) head-butting a guy NOT wearing a helmet is that big a deal?

If it happened in a street fight... absolutely it's the right thing to do... there are no rules in a fight.

If it happened while someone was trying to steal his motorcycle (something where he will be earing a helmet) absolutely it's the right thing to do.

If it happened while someone was hassling you girl... absolutely the right thing to do.

If it happens because, during a football game, a TE has been manhandling you and he's talking trash... no excuse for it.  It's childish and shows a lack of control and good decision making.

Personally, I am probably more upset because Pagano did nothing about it than I am because Walden did it because I understand getting to that frustration level.    By his actions (I don't care what he said or says after the fact) Pagano told the team, that kind of behavior is acceptable.

All of you are acting like he took a 20 yard running start and ran in to his nose with the crown of his helmet.  It was a love tap that barely made contact.  The dude was a * to begin with, if he didn't want contact why get in another players face without your helmet.  It's not like they were meeting up to discuss recipes.  They both should have been ejected.  And Walker needs an IQ test, because that boy is dumb.  Not to mention, how smart is it to talk crap about a team you have to play again?  I hope the Colt's D target's him every down.

Really???  You don't think a guy (wearing a helmet) head-butting a guy NOT wearing a helmet is that big a deal?

If it happened in a street fight... absolutely it's the right thing to do... there are no rules in a fight.

If it happened while someone was trying to steal his motorcycle (something where he will be earing a helmet) absolutely it's the right thing to do.

If it happened while someone was hassling you girl... absolutely the right thing to do.

If it happens because, during a football game, a TE has been manhandling you and he's talking trash... no excuse for it.  It's childish and shows a lack of control and good decision making.

Personally, I am probably more upset because Pagano did nothing about it than I am because Walden did it because I understand getting to that frustration level.    By his actions (I don't care what he said or says after the fact) Pagano told the team, that kind of behavior is acceptable.

Sorry, but no, I don't think it's that big of a deal. These are all athlete's that don't like to be shown up. I agree, he should have let his play do his talking for him, but he reacted before thinking. IMO players should just keep their mouths shut if they don't want to be confronted. some of these players around the league want free will to run their mouths with no repercussions. When somebody makes them pay for running their mouths then they get all bent out of shape and want something done about it. I'm not endorsing it, but if your going to run your mouth then you shouldn't be surprised when somebody takes offense to it.

Oh my word you like to cry. Just a few points.

One, I agree that a lot of refs are trigger happy, as you put it, and I don't like it.

Two, I didn't call you an *, I said whining about the refs on a play where the system worked as it should is stupid. There is a big difference.

Three, if you don't think a ref, who's job it is to watch what happens on the sideline, should throw a flag because he may not have seen everything that happened on the play then that shows a complete lack of understanding of the role of the refs, there is no other way around that. No ref has a 360° view of the play that is why they have more than one official.

Lastly, I did not call you an * who knows nothing. But I think it says a lot about you that because we disagree that is what you assume I am saying. Sad, really.

lmao.

Oh my word, you like to be condeceding :)

"This post shows you have very little understanding of the roles of the refs."

Not exactly a glowing review, of what you think of my intellect on the subject matter, wouldn't you agree?

Instead of actually reading what I said initially, what I explained to Superman, and again tried to explain to you, and debating, or commenting on the content. You chose to ignore what I said, interpret it as whining (though it appears you haven't yet decided if I'm a whiner or a cryer) and dismissed my point of view as having "very little understanding" of what I was seeing.

Yeah, that screams, "Hey man I respect you but disagree, and would like to engage in a level intellectual discussion."

It's very much the same approach you took in your reply. You have no interest in conversing with me, only trying to explain why you are right, and what I thought of that play was stupid. Just because you think something is stupid. Doesn't mean it's the only way to look at it.

Where did I say I expect a ref to a 360 degree view of the field? I would request you show me, but we both know you're simply putting words in my mouth.

I spoke that in that instance, I don't think a flag should have been thrown. Because what the ref saw, was a QB scrambling, a QB step out of bounds, and a QB falling. Which immediately prompted a flag.

It wasn't a critique on the whole reffing system. Or a critique on all reffing in general.

I just don't care for that thought process. It's becoming a trigger happy reffing process in many instances, that is much too sensitive to QBs. As a result, a lot of bad calls are being made, in my humble opinion, and allowed to stand because there's no view point to object it.

But when you read that, you are processing it as if I'm saying "Durrr I don't get it, why does he throw the dumb dumb flag it are not make sense. Why don't he be perfect and already know there are no reason to throw flags? Wahhhhhh."

All I said was I didn't like the over reactionary flag, to a poster who wasn't even yourself lol.

If you don't like what I posted. Don't read it. Don't reply. I have no issue with people disagreeing with me. I love reading different points of view, and discussing them. However, it isn't an instance where you are right, and I'm wrong. Nor one where I am right and you are wrong. It's an opinion. Everyone has a right to one. But it doesn't mean I have to be belittled, and say "Yes sir may I have another!"

Though I suppose this will now unleash, another witty post on why I don't get the reffing system, (even though I never proclaimed it was broken, and in fact complimented the refs on making the correct call)and I'm crying my head off, but just can't seem to grasp what's happening in the world around me.

Until next time friend. :)

Mathis didn't touch Fitzpatrick's helmet.

Neutral fan here... I agree. I don't think Mathis made contact with his head/neck/helmet. He hit him upper-chest/shoulder area, from the side, and Fitzpatrick's head jerked to the right, making it look like Mathis' arm clothes-lined him. I realize refs will never take chances with QBs but I thought that was a bad call.

Far as the head-butting incident goes... 

If "he was trash-talking to me the whole game" was an acceptable excuse to head-butt a player whose helmet you just ripped off, the NFL would be an absolute zoo. Players have to be able to respond to trash talk without losing their heads.

By the way, Walker is full of crap. He and Walden were hardly matched up all game, either in the run game or in pass coverage. If he were talking about Pat Angerer, different story. But he hadn't been beating Walden.

Neutral fan here... I agree. I don't think Mathis made contact with his head/neck/helmet. He hit him upper-chest/shoulder area, from the side, and Fitzpatrick's head jerked to the right, making it look like Mathis' arm clothes-lined him. I realize refs will never take chances with QBs but I thought that was a bad call.

Far as the head-butting incident goes... 

If "he was trash-talking to me the whole game" was an acceptable excuse to head-butt a player whose helmet you just ripped off, the NFL would be an absolute zoo. Players have to be able to respond to trash talk without losing their heads.

I agree. I totally understand why the ref threw the flag, because it looked like helmet contact. But I don't think he got him.

And yeah, there's no excuse to head butt another player, especially when he's not wearing a helmet, especially because you just ripped his helmet off. Walden was totally wrong and out of control. 

lmao.

Oh my word, you like to be condeceding :)

"This post shows you have very little understanding of the roles of the refs."

Not exactly a glowing review, of what you think of my intellect on the subject matter, wouldn't you agree?

Instead of actually reading what I said initially, what I explained to Superman, and again tried to explain to you, and debating, or commenting on the content. You chose to ignore what I said, interpret it as whining (though it appears you haven't yet decided if I'm a whiner or a cryer) and dismissed my point of view as having "very little understanding" of what I was seeing.

Yeah, that screams, "Hey man I respect you but disagree, and would like to engage in a level intellectual discussion."

It's very much the same approach you took in your reply. You have no interest in conversing with me, only trying to explain why you are right, and what I thought of that play was stupid. Just because you think something is stupid. Doesn't mean it's the only way to look at it.

Where did I say I expect a ref to a 360 degree view of the field? I would request you show me, but we both know you're simply putting words in my mouth.

I spoke that in that instance, I don't think a flag should have been thrown. Because what the ref saw, was a QB scrambling, a QB step out of bounds, and a QB falling. Which immediately prompted a flag.

It wasn't a critique on the whole reffing system. Or a critique on all reffing in general.

I just don't care for that thought process. It's becoming a trigger happy reffing process in many instances, that is much too sensitive to QBs. As a result, a lot of bad calls are being made, in my humble opinion, and allowed to stand because there's no view point to object it.

But when you read that, you are processing it as if I'm saying "Durrr I don't get it, why does he throw the dumb dumb flag it are not make sense. Why don't he be perfect and already know there are no reason to throw flags? Wahhhhhh."

All I said was I didn't like the over reactionary flag, to a poster who wasn't even yourself lol.

If you don't like what I posted. Don't read it. Don't reply. I have no issue with people disagreeing with me. I love reading different points of view, and discussing them. However, it isn't an instance where you are right, and I'm wrong. Nor one where I am right and you are wrong. It's an opinion. Everyone has a right to one. But it doesn't mean I have to be belittled, and say "Yes sir may I have another!"

Though I suppose this will now unleash, another witty post on why I don't get the reffing system, (even though I never proclaimed it was broken, and in fact complimented the refs on making the correct call)and I'm crying my head off, but just can't seem to grasp what's happening in the world around me.

Until next time friend. :)

I am sorry you are so easily offended.

BTW we are not friends, my friends don't whine so much, especially about being mistreated on a forum.

I could not watch the game last night as i had to work. I did see a highlight of the play and Walden should be fine heavily and suspended from the League for a long time. There is just no excuse for that type of action in any arena wehter it is sports or the real world. Walden was lucky he didn't injure the player of even kill him. the titans player could have had his neck broken on the play from his helment being ripped off like that. The Colts have a tough decison to make regarding Walden. hopefully Walden learns his lesson and can have a good career after he pays for this.

That's funny cause in all the replays there's one standing right there watching the whole time.

if they didn't see it they wouldn't have flagged it. What they missed was walker running his mouth (supposed to be something they are watching this year) and Walker throwing a punch at Walden after the head bunt. It should have been personal fouls on both and both should have been tossed (you throw a punch you are supposed to be tossed).

if they didn't see it they wouldn't have flagged it. What they missed was walker running his mouth (supposed to be something they are watching this year) and Walker throwing a punch at Walden after the head bunt. It should have been personal fouls on both and both should have been tossed (you throw a punch you are supposed to be tossed).

They flagged Walden for ripping his helmet off. Not for the headbutt.