Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Walden should be cut for that.

Dustin

Good grief calm down. He headbutted the guy, and very weakly at that. Had it been a violent headbut dude would have went down. You don't know what was said or anything. So get off of your high horses and realize it's a game between men and there is a lot of adrenaline and testosterone. It was classless and stupid, but you are out of your mind if you think he should be cut. Finnegan, Haynesworth, Johnson etc... didn't get cut.

Lol nooooooo don't tell them that they would rather live in their perfect worlds where they never do wrong and ... I really love people

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the play with Vaughn (I believe?). Threw his man to the ground and held him down. lol Just a dirty game all around for everyone. Cory Redding says that Tennessee was vocally instigating all night then eventually just blew up.

Its well known that Tennessee does that. They are infamous for cheap shots when the refs arent looking and jawing all game.Sorgi even mentioned it on the radio. Indy should have been prepared to deal with it better than they did, it played right in to the Titans' gameplan.

Its well known that Tennessee does that. They are infamous for cheap shots when the refs arent looking and jawing all game.Sorgi even mentioned it on the radio. Indy should have been prepared to deal with it better than they did, it played right in to the Titans' gameplan.

Especially considering who their DC is.

Apples and oranges, people. And not because I'm a Colts fan. No way did Walden have intent to injure. As he said himself, he let himself get out of control, and it was a stupid, ticky-tack thing to do, but he was not trying to take Walker out of the game or injure him.

It's great that he made this statement, and owned up to his mistake that happened  in a heat of the moment.   And yes, I believe that to be true as to what/how/why it happened.

side note:   I don't think anyone facing a possible fine or suspension would come out and say  "yeah  I meant to do that, and I'm glad I did"    do you....???  

I

I didn't notice the punch last night. This changes my opinion. If you throw a punch without your helmet your asking for something bad to happen. Players helmets are ripped of all the time, mostly happens on accident. I was thinking a 1-2 game suspension was in order, now I don't know. Maybe the refs made the right call and just made it unsportsmanlike like conduct. They must have noticed the punch too. Plus Walden didn't completely destroy his face and didn't continue to brawl.

He threw a punch after Walden hit him.

He threw a punch after Walden hit him.

Lol cant excuse it either in all honesty.Should the Titans cut him ? Hell no.Lol not trying to knock you down on this Dustin ,I like you and respect you.We disagree on this one and that's ok.What I want is such as the Bronco punching back of Sateles knee dealt with.This was a clear attempt to mame a player.Although he could've been doing us a favor :funny: it was still totally wrong could've ended a players career.The head butt is not even in the same ballpark.

Lol cant excuse it either in all honesty.Should the Titans cut him ? Hell no.Lol not trying to knock you down on this Dustin ,I like you and respect you.We disagree on this one and that's ok.What I want is such as the Bronco punching back of Sateles knee dealt with.This was a clear attempt to mame a player.Although he could've been doing us a favor :funny: it was still totally wrong could've ended a players career.The head butt is not even in the same ballpark.

That Broncos player was Kevin Vickerson and I have no idea why he wasn't suspended either. IIRC he had 3 personal fouls in that game alone. Ridiculous.

Delanie Walker is no saint, but he was carving up Walden (who probably still has a chip on his shoulder about his playoff game last year, and the "whuuupin" the Rams put on last week) and probably doing a predictable amount of smack talk. What Walden did is worth a big fine. I'd hope he doesn't have to sit a game, but it can't be ruled out. 

Yeah I just noticed that, hence my post edit. My first glimpse of the video I saw him throw a punch, then it loops and shows the head butt. I started watching midloop

There is no self defense rule in the NFL though lol. Walden can't headbutt, but that doesn't give the green light to retaliate.

There is no self defense rule in the NFL though lol. Walden can't headbutt, but that doesn't give the green light to retaliate.

No, he's not allowed to do that. I just don't think he deserves a harsh punishment. A fine and short suspension sounds about right. Being kicked off the team or multiple game suspension is overkill.

The Mathis one was right, you can't touch a QB's helmet.  Period.  People might not like the rule but it's the rule. 

I agree Walden should have been tossed but so should have been Walker because he threw a punch right after the headbunt and his yapping is what caused it which is supposed to be a point of emphasis this year. 

Mathis didn't touch Fitzpatrick's helmet.

No, he's not allowed to do that. I just don't think he deserves a harsh punishment. A fine and short suspension sounds about right. Being kicked off the team or multiple game suspension is overkill.

The only way I see this punishment getting blown out of proportion, is because all eyes were on that game last night.

Has nothing to do with being "perfect." I understand being frustrated, but being frustrated doesn't excuse that.

If it was Ndamakong suh who did it, everyone would be calling for his head.

Suh has a track record of dirty play. Walden was frustrated and lost his cool. It was dumb, but it wasn't assault. He didn't even hit him that hard.

I think Walden will get fined, and maybe suspended a game (they suspended Antonio Smith for a similar act in the preseason, but again, Smith has more of a track record). And I'm fine with that. But honestly, some people are way overboard.

Mathis didn't touch Fitzpatrick's helmet.

If anything, Fitz's helmet touched Mathis'. Robert hit him in the shoulder pad and Fitz's helmet bounced into Roberts. 

Sad they can't review such things. Because if they could, a bunch of these calls would get reversed. 

I think it looks like Walden was apologizing and the other player was giving him a kiss on the forehead telling him he forgives him... Am I wrong? Dangnabbit!!

I agree, they were sharing their great respect for eachother as friends. I think Walden was actually trying to bow to show him respect but accidently butted heads. Then the other guy's arm accidently slipped and it just looked like a punch, what seemed like yelling and jaw jabbing was probably just because all the crowd noise. Best of friends they are!!!

If anything, Fitz's helmet touched Mathis'. Robert hit him in the shoulder pad and Fitz's helmet bounced into Roberts. 

Sad they can't review such things. Because if they could, a bunch of these calls would get reversed. 

These calls happen, especially with a Mike Carey crew. NFL refs are obsessed with protecting QBs, to the point that they imagine helmet shots when there really are none. And every team benefits from it on offense, and then pays the price on defense. I'm not that upset about the bad call. I just don't want to be told that the call was correct, when Mathis clearly didn't hit Fitzpatrick's helmet. The minor contact that there was came from Fitzpatrick's head moving into Mathis' face, like you said. It wasn't a blow to the head. 

watch the replay he barely got it. Again you can't touch the QBs helmet at all with anything. People might not like the rule and that's fine but he still made minor contact that one was called correctly.

I disagree, very vigorously. And it's not about me not liking the rule. No one likes the rule, but I understand that helmet contact is going to be called. I'm not arguing the merits of the rule.

I'm saying that on that play, Mathis didn't hit Fitzpatrick's helmet, not with his hands, not with his head, not with his shoulder. It was a bad call, not because Mathis only barely touched his helmet and it shouldn't have been called, but because Mathis didn't touch his helmet at all. I've watched the play in slow motion a hundred times, and I don't believe there was contact. I understand that it looked that way, and I see why the ref threw the flag. But I don't believe there was helmet contact at all.

End of the day, it doesn't matter. The Titans were getting a first down with the pass interference on that play anyways (which I don't really fault Vaughn for, but it was definitely PI).

side note: I don't think anyone facing a possible fine or suspension would come out and say "yeah I meant to do that, and I'm glad I did" do you....???

You are right, of course, but what I thought was interesting is that he owned it. History would have suggested he'd try to justify or excuse the bad behavior. At least that is what most players who've been guilty if similar on field activities have done.

By the way, credit to Mike Carey and his crew for picking up the bogus flag at the end of that drive. They can be flag happy, but they deserve recognition for getting that one right. I'd rather see that then see them not throw a flag that should be thrown. Just conference and do your best to get the call right.

Of course, that same action hurt us against the Rams when they picked up the PI flag on Fleener, which I think should have been called. 

I disagree, very vigorously. And it's not about me not liking the rule. No one likes the rule, but I understand that helmet contact is going to be called. I'm not arguing the merits of the rule.

I'm saying that on that play, Mathis didn't hit Fitzpatrick's helmet, not with his hands, not with his head, not with his shoulder. It was a bad call, not because Mathis only barely touched his helmet and it shouldn't have been called, but because Mathis didn't touch his helmet at all. I've watched the play in slow motion a hundred times, and I don't believe there was contact. I understand that it looked that way, and I see why the ref threw the flag. But I don't believe there was helmet contact at all.

End of the day, it doesn't matter. The Titans were getting a first down with the pass interference on that play anyways (which I don't really fault Vaughn for, but it was definitely PI).

I almost entirely agree... Except to say that the call was also made at game speed, and I don't think it was reviewable.

By the way, credit to Mike Carey and his crew for picking up the bogus flag at the end of that drive. They can be flag happy, but they deserve recognition for getting that one right. I'd rather see that then see them not throw a flag that should be thrown. Just conference and do your best to get the call right.

Of course, that same action hurt us against the Rams when they picked up the PI flag on Fleener, which I think should have been called.

It was correct to pick it up, but don't throw the flag in the first place if you aren't sure what happened. Especially when a player trips himself, and a flag is thrown.

It was correct to pick it up, but don't throw the flag in the first place if you aren't sure what happened. Especially when a player trips himself, and a flag is thrown.

Meh, I just want to see the right call made. I'd rather see them throw the flag, confer and pick it up. I think they're more likely to make the right call that way. JMO

mathis made contact with his helmet that's going to be flagged in today's NFL. Watch the replay I saw it and thought it was minor contact and ticky tack but that's today's NFL. I had no issues with that flag because I've seen the Colts get the exact same flag for Luck several times in two years. There was contact minor contact but contact none the less.

Meh, I just want to see the right call made. I'd rather see them throw the flag, confer and pick it up. I think they're more likely to make the right call that way. JMO

Oh I know lol. Wasn't challenging your opinion in the least, but there seems to be this paranoia of sorts with the refs, and they're seeing things that aren't even remotely there.

And then in the same scope they can't see the D has 14 players on the field.

I just want a little more consistency, and a little more accuracy with the calls made. If you throw the flag, you better have seen something. Just my view.

mathis made contact with his helmet that's going to be flagged in today's NFL. Watch the replay I saw it and thought it was minor contact and ticky tack but that's today's NFL. I had no issues with that flag because I've seen the Colts get the exact same flag for Luck several times in two years. There was contact minor contact but contact none the less.

LOL

We saw different things. 

Adam Shefter just said on Sportscenter a little while ago that a previous head butt incident drew a $50,000 fine, I would expect something very similar to that for Walden, especially since he has no previous history of this kind of behavior.  Also, while it was a deplorable act, let's not act like he took Walker to the ground with such a thunderous shot to his face.  The contact could have been much worse than what it was.  For those of you clamoring for a suspension you'll probably be upset....because I seriously seriously doubt it happens.

First time offense, he might only get a 50k fine.  However, the league can review anything they want.  The may review all plays where the two were engaged, and determine who was instigator in those little bouts leading up to the loose cannon ripping the helmet off a player then head butting that same player with his helmet to open face.  If Walden was on te receiving end all the way until his emotions burst at the seams, he likely won't get any suspension. If Walsen was instigating the greater portion, you never know.  A fine + suspension could be a possibility.  depends on how much the league looks at, and what they find on what they do look at.