Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offical Trent Richardson discussion/thoughts/opinions thread.

Dustin

No...Adrian Peterson? Stop, just stop. At this point he is more Curtin Enis or Blair Thomas than Adrian Peterson, the comparison, well there is no comparing the two. Trent Richardson and Adrian Peterson were born on different planets, Peterson is a sure fire, 1st ballot hall of famer and Trent Richardson hasn't had more than 60 yards rushing in one game this season. His offensive totals have been worse and worse in 6 consecutive games. His total carries have gone down each week but one since he came to the Colts and it's clear the coaching staff knows he's hurting more than helping. 

Heck, at this point, everyone is hurting us.  We've been out on the field for 8 quarters in the past 2 weeks, but as far as I can tell, we've only played for 1 of those quarters.  The other 7, it looked like a college team out there posing as our players.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heck, at this point, everyone is hurting us. We've been out on the field for 8 quarters in the past 2 weeks, but as far as I can tell, we've only played for 1 of those quarters. The other 7, it looked like a college team out there posing as our players.

A horrible college team at that! I will join corgi in his drive by fist shake.

Thomas: 100-yard runners don't win games

One of the great mysteries of the Cleveland Browns season is that they are 4-5 and feeling good despite having a near non-existent running game.

The team’s leading rusher has 262 carries and averages 2.6 yards per carry -- so what the heck?

Joe Thomas shrugs. The perennial Pro Bowler says it’s not a mystery.

“I’m looking at today’s NFL,” Thomas said in a recent conversation. “And I’m just not sure there’s a place for a running back anymore.”

Say what? Not a place?

“Fifty throws is the average,” Thomas said. “You get a guy who gains 100 yards, whoop dee do. It doesn’t win you games anymore.”

This from a guy who played in college at Wisconsin, the ultimate run team?

“If you’re a defensive coordinator and you give up a 100-yard rusher, you don’t really care,” he said. “It really doesn’t translate into winning many games.”

To repeat: A 100-yard back “doesn’t translate into winning many games.”

But, Thomas was told, since 1960, teams that have a back that carries 20 or more times in a game win 72 percent of the time.

“That’s simple,” he said with a smile. “They’re ahead so they run. I think it’s simple.”

Thomas asked his own question: When’s the last first-round running back other than Adrian Peterson to turn out?

Here are the first-round running backs since Thomas joined the league in 2007:

--2013: None

--2012: Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson

--2011: Mark Ingram

--2010: C.J. Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best

--2009: Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Chris Wells

--2008: Darren McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, Chris Johnson

--2007: Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch

The best and most consistent and most dependable have been Peterson and Lynch -- but Lynch is successful with his second team, having been traded.

“You have to have soembody who’s a once-in-a-generation talent like Adrian Peterson to really be a difference maker in the game,” Thomas said. “But you get one Josh Gordon, you throw him a jump ball in triple coverage and he goes up and catches a touchdown, you win the game. That’s one guy, one play. He can do that three times in a game. Calvin Johnson. You can go down the list of guys like that who are game-changers. A.J. Green.

“You have to change the entire defense to try to take somebody like that out of the game. And the running game is so hard. Because first of all you have to have six, sometimes seven guys blocking perfectly up front. One mistake and it’s a tackle for a loss. So you have to have seven victories. And then you have to have a RB beat a safety. Today’s safeties are pretty good.”

Thomas also pointed out that offenses are getting more sophisticated at giving the quarterback the extra second he needs to make the throw. Colin Kaepernick’s fakes, he said, freeze a defense for a second.

It would also explain why the Browns have won games when they got good quarterback play and lost when they didn’t.

“That’s why you see quarterbacks, you see the value on those guys going through the roof,” he said. “Mid-level quarterbacks get $20 million a year year because they’re that important. And those receivers are going to start going that way, too.

“And the running backs, unfortunately for them they just don’t have a place in this game anymore like they used to.”

To the point that Thomas said he wouldn’t draft a running back in the first round.

The starting point for this conversation? Why did Thomas think Richardson did not work out in Cleveland?

“I’m not gonna throw stones at a guy that’s not on the team anymore,” Thomas said. “But it’s hard to say it didn’t work out because we got a first-round pick for him. So obviously someone thinks he’s pretty good. I think it comes down to production wasn’t great here, so they felt a first-round pick would be a good trade.

“And, I’m sure in today’s day and age, the value on running backs is down.”

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/99424/thomas-100-yard-runners-dont-win-games

Interesting take coming from Thomas. But why is it that P Manning only has one ring ? Most attribute it to the Colts not being able to run or stop the run. The one Colt team that could , won a SB. That's always been the formula that most use for playoff success....

Interesting take coming from Thomas. But why is it that P Manning only has one ring ? Most attribute it to the Colts not being able to run or stop the run. The one Colt team that could , won a SB. That's always been the formula that most use for playoff success....

Yeah, this is probably the most outspoken (aside from Peyton Hillis situation) I've ever seen JT, You almost never hear him talk to the media and especially about another player. He must have felt strongly, like he did for Hillis. The word out of Browns camp was that he was sort of a Diva, missed meetings, missed treatment and was generally not "one of the guys". All of which wouldn't matter had he produced on the field but it compounds that issue when you're not viewed as "one of the guys".

It's really surprising to see JT have something to say about this situation. He's right, it's a passing league, rush the passer and pass the football should be priority 1 and 2. 

Heck, at this point, everyone is hurting us.  We've been out on the field for 8 quarters in the past 2 weeks, but as far as I can tell, we've only played for 1 of those quarters.  The other 7, it looked like a college team out there posing as our players.

I didn't get to see the game, but judging by the score it was ugly. The Rams have two stud defensive ends in Quinn and Long and it sounds like they wore out your Oline all day. 

IMO he is an average RB who was picked 3 rounds too high. It's not all his fault his numbers are so bad but he consistently misses open running lanes and just runs into the defense. There are maybe 3 RB's in the league that would be worth taking in the first round, he is not one of them. He is strong but is slow, he is elusive but has bad vision. Ballard and Bradshaw are both better than him.

I don't think the browns let him go because of his lack of talent. They let him go because he didn't for into the system and because they thought their season was over and preparing to rebuild. Then they won that weekend and thought they still had a chance...

I don't think the browns let him go because of his lack of talent. They let him go because he didn't for into the system and because they thought their season was over and preparing to rebuild. Then they won that weekend and thought they still had a chance...

Let me ask you a question! How does a RB that supposedly has speed, strength, and talent...not fit into a system? The Browns plain and simple didn't want him and they were lucky enough that Grigson panicked after Ballard went down.

And if you haven't noticed our OLine has gone south the past two games in a row. They caught Pagano as shown in another thread saying it. We can't block anybody right now. Give Richardson, hell give Luck a freakin AVERAGE line and see what they can do.

I've got news for you - it's only because we have a future HoF QB that we've been bailed out in half our games thus year. We NEEDED that pasting the Rams put on us to wake some people up.

Have you guys heard about the Trent sex-tape that's out there now?  Seriously......

Anyway, it's not that the Browns didn't want TR, it's that they were blown away by the offer the Colts gave them, and since the Browns don't feel TR is an Adrian Peterson type back, they felt he would be easily replaceable next year.  Remember this current Browns regime didn't draft him with that 3rd overall pick.......

Have you guys heard about the Trent sex-tape that's out there now?  Seriously......

Anyway, it's not that the Browns didn't want TR, it's that they were blown away by the offer the Colts gave them, and since the Browns don't feel TR is an Adrian Peterson type back, they felt he would be easily replaceable next year.  Remember this current Browns regime didn't draft him with that 3rd overall pick.......

Yeah, it was an orgy sextape, cannot believe we wasted a 1st on this dude. 

Let me ask you a question! How does a RB that supposedly has speed, strength, and talent...not fit into a system? The Browns plain and simple didn't want him and they were lucky enough that Grigson panicked after Ballard went down.

He deserves an offseason and at least a couple of games next year before we throw the towel in on him.  Perhaps the Browns didn't think we could get anything out of him.  But it wouldn't be the first time a team gave up on a guy and that guy went to another team and thrived.  It deosn't happen overnight.  And it certainly doesn't help facilitate the matter with poor offensive blocking predictive play calling.

He deserves an offseason and at least a couple of games next year before we throw the towel in on him. Perhaps the Browns didn't think we could get anything out of him. But it wouldn't be the first time a team gave up on a guy and that guy went to another team and thrived. It deosn't happen overnight. And it certainly doesn't help facilitate the matter with poor offensive blocking predictive play calling.

From the sounds if it his running wasn't the problem. Was his "me" complex that he had. Showing up late, not being a good teammate. Maybe being drafted #3 went to his head. If getting traded wasn't a wake up call I don't know what is. I'm sure it wasn't easy getting dumped mid season then trying to learn a new playbook and all the other crap that comes with moving. Now to be stuck behind our line. People for get when we were running better we also had Thomas. When Bradshaw had his breakout game it was costanzo, Thomas, McGlynn, link, cherilus.

I don't see why we haven't tried to shuffle the line around to give us our best line. Reitz or link at g with McGlynn at c

From the sounds if it his running wasn't the problem. Was his "me" complex that he had. Showing up late, not being a good teammate. Maybe being drafted #3 went to his head. If getting traded wasn't a wake up call I don't know what is. I'm sure it wasn't easy getting dumped mid season then trying to learn a new playbook and all the other crap that comes with moving. Now to be stuck behind our line. People for get when we were running better we also had Thomas. When Bradshaw had his breakout game it was costanzo, Thomas, McGlynn, link, cherilus.

I don't see why we haven't tried to shuffle the line around to give us our best line. Reitz or link at g with McGlynn at c

I'm not sure why, myself.  Even afteR Thomas' injury, we "make-shifted" it again to AC, Thorton, McGlynn, Link, and Cherilus.  Maybe pass protection is the reason we changed it?  I mean, it wasn't great against the 49ers, but it was a hell of a lot better than Sunday and against hte Texans.  So, to me, if the Colts don't revisit that starting offensive line unit we had against the 49ers, I might as well start sending bets to Vegas taking the over on QB sacks against the Colts.

Man I'm so glad us Browns fans no longer have  to make excuses for this guy every week like you guys are forced to do (it's what giving up a first round pick for a guy will do to you).  I still can't believe we got a 1st round pick for him (I would have traded him for a 5th or 6th rounder...no joke). 

Just a few weeks into last season, it was very clear that he was a physical freak but a very average running back badly lacking vision.  With that said, he was putting up good numbers in terms of total yards (both as a runner and pass-catcher) and TDs but his YPC were horrible and I think he only had 2 runs ALL YEAR for 20+ yards.  That's hard to be that bad with as many carries as he has. He was forgiven last year because of the totals mentioned and because of his rib injury...that apparently couldn't heal over an entire season.

This sex tape scandal just has to feel like salt has been poured into an open wound.

I have nothing against Colts fans so please don't take my excitement over the trade as being a Colts hater.  It's just so rare that the Browns win anything so being on the plus side of this trade, along with a host of other recent positives, has me finally feeling good about our team's direction.

Man I'm so glad us Browns fans no longer have to make excuses for this guy every week like you guys are forced to do (it's what giving up a first round pick for a guy will do to you). I still can't believe we got a 1st round pick for him (I would have traded him for a 5th or 6th rounder...no joke).

Just a few weeks into last season, it was very clear that he was a physical freak but a very average running back badly lacking vision. With that said, he was putting up good numbers in terms of total yards (both as a runner and pass-catcher) and TDs but his YPC were horrible and I think he only had 2 runs ALL YEAR for 20+ yards. That's hard to be that bad with as many carries as he has. He was forgiven last year because of the totals mentioned and because of his rib injury...that apparently couldn't heal over an entire season.

This sex tape scandal just has to feel like salt has been poured into an open wound.

I have nothing against Colts fans so please don't take my excitement over the trade as being a Colts hater. It's just so rare that the Browns win anything so being on the plus side of this trade, along with a host of other recent positives, has me finally feeling good about our team's direction.

Who cares about some stupid sex tape? It was probably when he was with the Browns anyways.

Just a quick question. Had this TMZ story came out about RG3 how many of you would change your tune about it? Would it still be "no big deal"? I remember a few months ago RG3 was blasted on this forum for making that silly "pop rocks" music video with his wife. Couldnt imagine the reaction if this story was about him. Then again, he doesnt have a horseshoe on the side of his helmet...

Just a quick question. Had this TMZ story came out about RG3 how many of you would change your tune about it? Would it still be "no big deal"? I remember a few months ago RG3 was blasted on this forum for making that silly "pop rocks" music video with his wife. Couldnt imagine the reaction if this story was about him. Then again, he doesnt have a horseshoe on the side of his helmet...

I dont think the majority of those comments were really so much about Robert Griffin III as they were about once again trying to prop Luck up on a pedestal AT THE EXPENSE of tearing down one of his fellow drafted QB's (that QB being Griffin). But the story itself is really not a big deal, What he supposedly did was not illegal......Now maybe he does like to live it up to much possibly at the wrong times but thats also just meaningless speculation that has not been confirmed either......Also consider the source...TMZ....Not exactly a respectable source for info....Pretty trashy really

Can we stop it with the tape talk? It's gotten at least 2 threads locked. It has no bearing on him as a player. None whatsoever. This thread is meant to stay up, don't be weird and keep pushing something that the staff has made clear doesn't belong on this forum. 

Wait a minute. Are you saying there is a pro colts bias on this forum? Who would have thought?