Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tackle Leaders

WoolMagnet

Did anyone else notice that Angerer is #1 in tackles with 73 and Kavell Conner (NFL channel lists him as Kevin Conner, maybe I can get a job as an editor there) is #2 with 58?

#s 3,4, and 5 are 57,57, and 56 respectively.

Bethea is at 47, Wheeler at 31, Lacey 29, Powers 26, Terrance johnson 25, Caldwell 18. Then Nevis at 16, Foster and Mathis at 12.

Also, historically, Mathis averages more than twice the tackles as Freeney.

Kinda wild we have the #1 AND #2 tackle leaders.

Does this show just how much (or how easy) it is to run on us or that because we aren't leading games like the past teams are running a higher % on us?

It would be interesting to know if any other team ever had #1 and #2 leaders on their team.

Did anyone else notice that Angerer is #1 in tackles with 73 and Kavell Conner (NFL channel lists him as Kevin Conner, maybe I can get a job as an editor there) is #2 with 58?

Bethea is at 47, Wheeler at 31, Lacey 29, Powers 26, Terrance johnson 25, Caldwell 18. Then Nevis at 16, Foster and Mathis at 12.

Does this show just how much (or how easy) it is to run on us or that because we aren't leading games like the past teams are running a higher % on us?

It would be interesting to know if any other team ever had #1 and #2 leaders on their team.

Never a "good" stat to lead.... esp when multiple players of "our squad" are on the list.

At least the bum rush of RB's are not getting to our DB's so soon.... :hush:

In short.... BAD.

Never a "good" stat to lead.... esp when multiple players of "our squad" are on the list.

At least the bum rush of RB's are not getting to our DB's so soon.... :hush:

Zach Thomas.

Tackling machine at Texas Tech, drafted by the FINS in the 5th in '96 and you could ring him up for close to 150 tackles pretty much every year as a pro. 8 time pro-bowler. He was part of some good, bad, and mediocre Dolphins teams.

The list could continue but I'm stopping here only because Thomas embodied excellence. He was one of my favorites over the years.

In 1997, his 2nd year as a pro, Thomas totaled 128 tackles while playing and starting 15 games. In 1998 Thomas made All-Pro for the first time, making 133 tackles, a sack, an interception and forcing a fumble as the Dolphins defense allowed the fewest points in the NFL.

2011 is Angerer's 2nd year as a pro, and after 6 games has 73 tackles with a FF.

So.....as framed, "never a good stat to lead" is incorrect. I'm not suggesting we have the next Zach Thomas on our team, but Angerer is playing improved in his second year and his future looks bright.

Zach Thomas.

Tackling machine at Texas Tech, drafted by the FINS in the 5th in '96 and you could ring him up for close to 150 tackles pretty much every year as a pro. 8 time pro-bowler. He was part of some good, bad, and mediocre Dolphins teams.

The list could continue but I'm stopping here only because Thomas embodied excellence. He was one of my favorites over the years.

In 1997, his 2nd year as a pro, Thomas totaled 128 tackles while playing and starting 15 games. In 1998 Thomas made All-Pro for the first time, making 133 tackles, a sack, an interception and forcing a fumble as the Dolphins defense allowed the fewest points in the NFL.

2011 is Angerer's 2nd year as a pro, and after 6 games has 73 tackles with a FF.

So.....as framed, "never a good stat to lead" is incorrect. I'm not suggesting we have the next Zach Thomas on our team, but Angerer is playing improved in his second year and his future looks bright.

He seems to play angry too. The name fits him perfectly.

If one guy leads the least that may something about HIM (and it well may even in this case).

If half your team is on the list, not so good.

Just occurred to me, perhaps the league should run a stat showing who has the most tackles as a percentage of their own teams plays. That would probably be a lot more meaningful. But then even THAT would be heavily influenced by whether teams tend to run or pass more against a particular team, and then THAT would be influenced by the effectiveness of your own offense. Defense stats are just questionable I guess.

At least the colts are leading in something on defense... I hope pat stays as MLB the colts need to sure up their corners not bring back and old short stubby MLB like brackett, if brackett can learn how to cover so can Pat and this is the best way to do it, brackett sure didnt learn over night thats for sure.

I would say that were right on par with a much improved LINEBACKING core(angerer/conner),but we need one more for depth.That's the linebackers main duty...TACKLE.Now if our safties have over 100 tackles,then that's a huge problem.Our defense is fine,except for our secondary.We need some big strong jam/punch them in the face type corners.I'm tired of playing soft and ten yards off every snap.I'll risk the ocasional burn(lacey gets burned every play anyway),if it meant that our corners were nasty at the line of scrimmage.I thought dante hughes would've been good,but we axed him.

if it was our d-line leading in tackles, it would mean we stopped them, lbs leading mean they gained yards, not a good stat

Not really, LBs are supposed to make the tackles. DL are supposed to eat-up yhe OL blocks to free up the LBs to make the plays.

Now if our safeties and CBs were leading, then I'd agree with you.

I would be shocked if the Colts let Brackett go next year.

Brackett is good as gone. The Colts have young stud MLB and Brackett's base salary takes a huge jump next year. Gary has been a great leader, but it will be a cap friendly move to release him and spend the money on the secondary.

Somebody has to make the plays, however many there are. Having an active MLB who's in on everything is a good thing. Angerer has thus far made a very good 2nd year leap and should only get better.

True, we all know pat can tackle and has a nose for the football... he just has to get better in coverages and play recognition and he will be a top MLB in the NFL.