Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O'hara/seubert cut from Giants

DILLIGAFER

Wish list for the colts... you bet. Imagine Peyton having longer than 1.7 seconds to throw to his receivers. I'm not knocking our draft picks.. but vet o lineman with saturday.. man. But im sure the colts couldn't afford them. Your take on these guys?

"Sort by time -YouTube -Broadcast Yourself. Manning has an average of 1.7 seconds before a defender hits him (yes, ...... It was not Mannings fault that he didn't throw to an open Austin Collie. ..... Peyton didn't play the last game that season and still had a higher QB rating than Tom that year. …"

www.colts.com/forums/index.php

Bleacher Report is just a blog. Meaningless, really. And it doesn't say that his average time to throw the ball was 1.7 seconds last season. That's just not true.

The comments in the Chargers game were pointing out how quick Manning was throwing the ball. They weren't saying that he only had that long to throw it, but that he adjusted and was making a conscious effort to fling it before the pressure got there. I wouldn't say that he had too much time more than that to throw the ball, but you (and all these blogs that keep pointing that out) are misinterpreting what was actually said.

Not only that, but the Chargers game was by far the worst performance by our offensive line all season. Only two games that came close were the Chiefs game and the Jets game. Not even the first Texans game was that bad. So the numbers from that game, while they were bad, weren't indicative of what happened all season long.

I think the front office has taken significant steps to address the poor offensive line play from last season, including the two rookies, plus McClendon, Linkenbach and Pollak. I'm fairly certain we won't be adding any free agent offensive linemen.

This is the quote you are basing it on?

Manning had less time to throw, was constantly harried, and had no real pocket all season long. In the Chargers game (where Manning threw four interceptions) the announcers examined the tape and revealed that the ball was leaving Manning's hand less than two seconds after it was snapped. Philip Rivers had much more time in the same game.

Oh, I see because Chris Collinsworth mentioned that during one game then it can be extrapolated for the entire season. Is that really how your mind works?

Never mind the fact that it was late first/early 2nd quarter when Collinsworth focused on this.

Never mind the fact that it was the Colts game plan going into the game. To spread the field and have quick passes to negate the Chargers rush.

Never mind the fact that when Collinsworth was talking about it (first drive of the game), it was working.... The Colts were moved the ball down the field and scored a TD on the opening drive. The next drive when a pass was INT by by a DE or LB did they go away from it.

Never mind the fact that you can't portray something that happened for one drive in one game as common for the entire season

So, I say again.... Manning had more than 1.7 seconds to throw the ball to his receivers.

I like the guys we have on our O-line now. With the addition of Castonzo and Ijalana, and hopefully the insertion of McClendon into the starting lineup, we should have a much much better O-line than last year.

They have never been able to settle on a line since Glenn retired and Ugoh didn't work out. If Ugoh had worked out, I think the line would have been much more settled by now but since the SB, the Colts have had (and I don't remember the exact number) but something like 13 or 14 different starting olines and a team just can't build continuity or consistency that way. Now last year where you have, IMO, players good enough to start building that continuity (I'm not a big Devan fan but he is good enough if you are keeping the 5 guys together) the Colts can't do that because of the age of Diem and Saturday.

I am a firm believer in the line can be greater than the sum of it's parts but it takes a season and half to two seasons of playing together to start get to the point. And the Colts just have not had that...

Lay off the insults Koolaid drinker. "Is that how your mind works?" Really, now your reducing your rhetoric to insults. Really grown up.

How is that an insult? It's a legitimate question based on the fact that you took something that one announcer said during 1 quarter of one game and related that, fairly isolated, incident to an entire season. Is that houw you mind works? Do you do that with other things? If you child gets a bad grade in school does that mean that child gets all bad grades for everything that year? If your boss says you did something wrong, does that mean you do everything wrong? I would think and hope not.

And so what. Ya i went off of what an NFL broadcaster said. What's it to you. Get over it.

I guess that is how your mind works. If you want to base your beliefs from what CC states during a game and what a blog regurgitates then that is fine, just don't be shocked when people don't buy what you are trying to sell.

They have never been able to settle on a line since Glenn retired and Ugoh didn't work out. If Ugoh had worked out, I think the line would have been much more settled by now but since the SB, the Colts have had (and I don't remember the exact number) but something like 13 or 14 different starting olines and a team just can't build continuity or consistency that way. Now last year where you have, IMO, players good enough to start building that continuity (I'm not a big Devan fan but he is good enough if you are keeping the 5 guys together) the Colts can't do that because of the age of Diem and Saturday.

I am a firm believer in the line can be greater than the sum of it's parts but it takes a season and half to two seasons of playing together to start get to the point. And the Colts just have not had that...

I think we may be able to regain some of that continuity starting this year. We have lots of young talent in Castonzo, Ijalana, Pollak (who has been playing better as he gains more experience), Link (who played well subbing in for Diem), CJ (a dependable, versatile lineman) and McClendon (who could be playing guard or center). Diem needs to go in my opinion and Saturday only has one year left in him before he retires. Let the guys gel together this year, insert a new center next year and we should have a decent amount of continuity on our O-line. I could see a lineup consisting of those guys being our starters for the next 10 years.

Better get a big gulp for that koolaid.. so if you think Manning had so much time to throw, I guess we don't have a problem with the o line. You'll have to pardon me.. i must have been mistaken. Defiantly must have been around 1.9-2 whole seconds Manning had to get rid of the ball. My bad, plenty of time. Maybe you should go back, get a stop watch and write down how much time Manning had to throw. I'll accept your apology after wards. ;) You remind me of a guy I know of.. he's a know it all that starts an argument over anything. BTW... its all in your ignorant presentation that rubs me the wrong way. You could have went about your disagreement in a much nicer, adult manner. Just for future reference. Off my soap box now. The end.

Better get a big gulp for that koolaid.. so if you think Manning had so much time to throw, I guess we don't have a problem with the o line. You'll have to pardon me.. i must have been mistaken. Defiantly must have been around 1.9-2 whole seconds Manning had to get rid of the ball. My bad, plenty of time. Maybe you should go back, get a stop watch and write down how much time Manning had to throw. I'll accept your apology after wards. ;) You remind me of a guy I know of.. he's a know it all that starts an argument over anything. BTW... its all in your ignorant presentation that rubs me the wrong way. You could have went about your disagreement in a much nicer, adult manner. Just for future reference. Off my soap box now. The end.

Just because "1.7 seconds" isn't accurate doesn't mean the offensive line is not an issue.

Better get a big gulp for that koolaid.. so if you think Manning had so much time to throw, I guess we don't have a problem with the o line.

Things can improve but it's not as bad as some try to make it out to be.
You'll have to pardon me..
No, I don't.

i must have been mistaken. Defiantly must have been around 1.9-2 whole seconds Manning had to get rid of the ball. My bad, plenty of time. Maybe you should go back, get a stop watch and write down how much time Manning had to throw. I'll accept your apology after wards. ;)

I have done that after games. I've done it for years actually since I used to post on the IndyStar forum. I don't do it for every game, I will usually only do it when someone mentions something ridiculous like, "Manning has no time to throw," or, "Manning has only 1.7 seconds to throw to his receivers." But the games I checked in 2010 was his second best time in pocket since I've been tracking, the best year was 2005 where he averaged 2.83 seconds. In 2010, Manning averaged 2.69 seconds in the pocket. I tracked the first Houston game (2.47), the second Houston game (2.71) and the Charger game (2.16). My criteria is snap, drop back and release of ball or snap, drop back and moving out of the pocket. I do not count moving around IN the pocket against the line because that is why the line forms a pocket... to allow the QB to move around.
You remind me of a guy I know of.. he's a know it all that starts an argument over anything. BTW... its all in your ignorant presentation that rubs me the wrong way.
1.) I really don't care what rubs you the wrong way. Two, I don't start an argument over anything, I only start arguments over anything that is untrue and not based on facts. Thank you for saying I'm a know it all though. Even though I don't really know it all, that is what I strive to accomplish.
You could have went about your disagreement in a much nicer, adult manner. Just for future reference. Off my soap box now. The end.

And you could have not taken part of a game plan that happened for for two drives in one game and extrapolate that out for an entire season as a negative for the oline. Just for future reference.

I think we may be able to regain some of that continuity starting this year. We have lots of young talent in Castonzo, Ijalana, Pollak (who has been playing better as he gains more experience), Link (who played well subbing in for Diem), CJ (a dependable, versatile lineman) and McClendon (who could be playing guard or center). Diem needs to go in my opinion and Saturday only has one year left in him before he retires. Let the guys gel together this year, insert a new center next year and we should have a decent amount of continuity on our O-line. I could see a lineup consisting of those guys being our starters for the next 10 years.

I agree about Saturday and about the young talent, except for Link. I think Link has some tools but, based on his play last year, he is too weak to be an NFL lineman and I don't think he played well subbing for Diem, there was a huge drop off in both run blocking and pass blocking on the right side in the Jets game. And when he subbed for CJ the Colts had two of their worst running games of the year. Since Link is not eligible for the practice squad and if the Colts re-sign CJ I do not see Link making the final 53, especially since CJ can play RT and LT.

Btw problem causer... I didn't give you the negative rating.

I don't even know what the negative rating is or how to give/view one. So that doesn't really matter to me.
Seems others think your out of line as well. Roids are burn arentthey. lol lol lol
If that makes you feel better then so be it. I find it funny though that is your only response. Oh well, many people would rather go by little sounds bytes than facts.
take a pill man. Chill, there's gonna be football this year. :)

I'm not the one getting upset and crying about being insulted.