Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We Should Trade Manning For Picks!

Same as most of our Colts fans I used to believe we are 1-2 quality draft picks away from winning the superbowl, and thus I believed that we should draft defensive players and we will have two to three great yrs and win at least one more SB. After these losses I figured it might be far away from the truth.

The team lacks talent, especially on defense, which will need an entire rebuilding. The fact that Manning kept us in the SB hope every year was only because he was that good. But as great as he is, the overall team is bottom five quality and will always find a way to fail. This is why Manning has one 1 ring and we always fall short. Therefore I do not see we get another SB when he comes back. There are too many postions that need amendment and one year of good draft just cannot make it. Not to mention Manning may not be physically as good as he used to be.

It took the Lions an entire decade to rebuild and rebound from the bottom. For us it may not be much shorter, but it can definitely be accelerated if we get more quality picks earlier in the draft. We can let Manning play and show he is still very good at the end of year, and trade him next year to some teams 1 great QB away from being SB contenders (I dont know exactly which team it is, but I always feel QBs for the Ravens, Jets, and sometimes Cowboys are their liabilities) for early round picks in 2012 and 2013.

If we end up with drafting Andrew Luck, the best way to speed up his growth is to let him play. A player of his caliber should not be sitting on the bench for 3 years. With the extra picks we can get a better team around him as well. The rebuilding process may take 2-3 seasons, but we will have another good decade. For Manning, he will end up with getting at least one more SB in the future 3 years and prove he can succeed in multiple teams.

You want to go from one of the greatest QB's to ever set foot on a football field to an unproven college QB? We will have a lot of good picks in the upcoming draft and Manning is still an elite QB.

Edited by ssarow

Same as most of our Colts fans I used to believe we are 1-2 quality draft picks away from winning the superbowl, and thus I believed that we should draft defensive players and we will have two to three great yrs and win at least one more SB. After these losses I figured it might be far away from the truth.

The team lacks talent, especially on defense, which will need an entire rebuilding. The fact that Manning kept us in the SB hope every year was only because he was that good. But as great as he is, the overall team is bottom five quality and will always find a way to fail. This is why Manning has one 1 ring and we always fall short. Therefore I do not see we get another SB when he comes back. There are too many postions that need amendment and one year of good draft just cannot make it. Not to mention Manning may not be physically as good as he used to be.

It took the Lions an entire decade to rebuild and rebound from the bottom. For us it may not be much shorter, but it can definitely be accelerated if we get more quality picks earlier in the draft. We can let Manning play and show he is still very good at the end of year, and trade him next year to some teams 1 great QB away from being SB contenders (I dont know exactly which team it is, but I always feel QBs for the Ravens, Jets, and sometimes Cowboys are their liabilities) for early round picks in 2012 and 2013.

If we end up with drafting Andrew Luck, the best way to speed up his growth is to let him play. A player of his caliber should not be sitting on the bench for 3 years. With the extra picks we can get a better team around him as well. The rebuilding process may take 2-3 seasons, but we will have another good decade. For Manning, he will end up with getting at least one more SB in the future 3 years and prove he can succeed in multiple teams.

With respect to your effort ...

There's too much attempting to predict the future here...

The idea that we can rebuild in 3 years and compete for the next 10 is one alternate universe and there are many others.

We know that with Peyton Manning we can compete for a playoff spot NEXT season...right?

That's also conjecture but it is realistic since we won 10 games for a decade with him...

I dont want to give away the next 4 years of Manning hoping for 10 years of Luck

Let me ask you a question? What do you think the market is for a 35 year-old QB who is coming off 3 recent neck surgeries and has a mega-contract? Let me asnwer that for you - not freaking much.

Secondly, the trading partners you mentioned - why would the Jets or Ravens have any interest in Manning? Even the Cowboys?

So to be serious, and it's not quite the same, but Jimmy Johnson did exactly this with Herschel Walker, and within 2 years the Cowboys were on their way to winning 3 superbowls.

I want to see Manning retire a Colt as much as anyone here, but if the choice is between 2-3 years of Manning on a crappy team, or the long term future of the franchise, well it's not a hard choice really.

So to be serious, and it's not quite the same, but Jimmy Johnson did exactly this with Herschel Walker, and within 2 years the Cowboys were on their way to winning 3 superbowls.

I want to see Manning retire a Colt as much as anyone here, but if the choice is between 2-3 years of Manning on a crappy team, or the long term future of the franchise, well it's not a hard choice really.

I don't disagree with you. But I am looking at it from another POV - what is Manning's true trade value? - and not from the blasphemous thought of actually moving him. My estimation is there are not too many teams out there who would trade for an injured, old & expensive QB.

I don't disagree with you. But I am looking at it from another POV - what is Manning's true trade value? - and not from the blasphemous thought of actually moving him. My estimation is there are not too many teams out there who would trade for an injured, old & expensive QB.

That's a valid point, but all it takes is one.

Also, for the record, I'm not saying this is what we should do, only that under the idea isn't as unthinkable to me as it will be to some on this forum.

That's a valid point, but all it takes is one.

Also, for the record, I'm not saying this is what we should do, only that under the idea isn't as unthinkable to me as it will be to some on this forum.

Understand your point - but I just can't imagine any team giving enough to make the trade acceptable to the team or the fans.

But exactly your point is why I think that they should trade the # 1 pick, should they get it and should Manning get a clean bill of health. They can re-build on the fly while still having their franchise QB.

Understand your point - but I just can't imagine any team giving enough to make the trade acceptable to the team or the fans.

But exactly your point is why I think that they should trade the # 1 pick, should they get it and should Manning get a clean bill of health. They can re-build on the fly while still having their franchise QB.

Thats the KEY Manning having a clean bill of health.

Sorry guys I just feel pitiful for Manning and couldn't find a good way to give him another SB ring, and meanwhile take care of the flaws of the team. I have been watching our games for years and there must be a reason we always find a way to fall short each year. Special team, defense, dropped pass, couldnt convert short yardage, bad coaching...

This year, the thing is very clearly exposed: The team has nothing good but Manning, so even if things could be going our way in general, there must be something going wrong at certain point to let us fail. Playing the odd, the chance for Colts to win a SB is slim, and we have already used our luck to win the only SB in Manning era. That year stars did align and we did suddenly have a defense better than the ravens and a running game better than the bears... You can go figure how stars could align for our current team.

Time is limited. Even Manning comes back healthy, keeping doing what we have been doing is not likely to give results better than an early playoff exit. Not even mentioning what's gonna be after he retires.

Sometimes it is not always about being a superbowl winner...the fact is despite we have only 1 since Mannings arrival we have had MORE competitive chances of winning them than any other team...I'd rather have a competitive viable team than one who goes all out to win 1 or 2 superbowls....10+ years of having a competitive awesome team is great by me.

Ouch, even I couldn't think about this. Come on, I've made some pretty bad threads, but this one by you buddy is just awful. It made me laugh. :thmup:

Don't be so hard on yourself Andy, you certainly aren't at the "Jim" level of posts.

On a serious note, I feel:

IF Manning EVER plays again, WE want him. NO team will give much for Manning when it is quite possible he won't play again. If he does, it will only be for 3 or 4 years max. It will take a year or so (at best) for a team to get him comfortable. This makes no fiscal sense for another team.

It is what it is. The Colts, I feel, have to get the next QB ready NOW. If Manning can play, great. If not, we will be ready (hopefully) for the future. I really feel the team needs to go forward from here expecting that Manning won't be back. This year has shown us what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket.

If the Colts would trade Manning, they'd be the laughing stock of the league. Bite the bullet for a year or two and carry 3 QBs. Yea, it will cost $, but what good is saving $ if you stink on the field.

This team isn't going to re-make the roster and be instantly good anyway.

I feel we made strides this off-season in the right direction. Injuries again have hurt, and to some degree affected this year. Its arguable Clark and Collie still aren't back to 100% yet. Add to that some new OLmen (Costanzo, etc), injuries of Nevis, Bullett, Brackett, etc, which have affected the play on the field. If we add OL, safety, CB, and maybe another DL I feel we will be alot better. We got bigger this offseason like we all wanted but we've had some bad breaks (injuries)like last year.

I also feel this team has been close against better teams than have been credited. Tampa Bay beat the Saints and we almost beat them with Painter. Cincy beat SF which is a good team. We almost beat an always tuff Pitt team too. The Houston game is the only game we weren't really in and what did you expect when Collins was only here for a couple weeks? I really don't think this team is as bad as people think. The new OL group needs time to come together, DL has been ravaged by injuries. If we can find a good CB in the offseason, it will go a LONG way.

As far as Manning goes, I'll NEVER believe or let ANYONE tell me Manning isn't the best ever. The way he got us in the playoffs last year with arguably less talent than we have now (last year's injury bug) and the obvious difference we see this year I think clearly shows that. In my mind , the Manning / Brady debate is DEAD. The fact that Cassel (who doesn't look special in KC) stepped in for Brady and NE didn't skip a beat also shows that.

I know I'm a little too optimistic for some of you, but thats just the way I roll. Shoot me!

This is still one of the best organizations in the NFL. 10+ years of being in the mix has shown that. It's not ALL on Manning.

Edited by WoolMagnet

Sometimes it is not always about being a superbowl winner...the fact is despite we have only 1 since Mannings arrival we have had MORE competitive chances of winning them than any other team...I'd rather have a competitive viable team than one who goes all out to win 1 or 2 superbowls....10+ years of having a competitive awesome team is great by me.

Yes I have been feeling the same and every year I truly believed we were SB contenders at the beginning of each season. Only recently I have realized how distant we are away and the hope is just illusive. On the other hand, except for paying Manning the money, the organization owes him several rings. IMO he is way better than other QBs who are praised as the greatest every day, including Brady and Rodgers. He just never had a team as good as others.

Sorry guys I just feel pitiful for Manning and couldn't find a good way to give him another SB ring, and meanwhile take care of the flaws of the team. I have been watching our games for years and there must be a reason we always find a way to fall short each year. Special team, defense, dropped pass, couldnt convert short yardage, bad coaching...

This year, the thing is very clearly exposed: The team has nothing good but Manning, so even if things could be going our way in general, there must be something going wrong at certain point to let us fail. Playing the odd, the chance for Colts to win a SB is slim, and we have already used our luck to win the only SB in Manning era. That year stars did align and we did suddenly have a defense better than the ravens and a running game better than the bears... You can go figure how stars could align for our current team.

Time is limited. Even Manning comes back healthy, keeping doing what we have been doing is not likely to give results better than an early playoff exit. Not even mentioning what's gonna be after he retires.

You did not answer my question. What do you think Manning would bring in a trade?

Trade him to the Jets if you don't mind them winning the Superbowl every season until he retires. Manning with that Jets team would beat Brady and the Patriots twice a season! + Playoffs assuming the Pats get a wild card. THREE TIMES A SEASON!

Another humorous trade would be if he went to Baltimore. Oh my god...that would be even scarier than sending him to the Jets. RAY LEWIS on one side of the ball and PM on the other? GREAT SCOTT, MARTY!

But seriously, we'd only be hosing ourselves. He's the goat. Give him talent and win NOW! WHILE WE CAN! Luck might very well do DIDDLY POO on a team with no O-line, defense, special teams, mediocre run game, and NO COACH. He has the best of the best in college...and he might be crap without all of that.

Then again, he might be the second coming of Manning in a more athletic package. (Yikes) If he's not, though, we'd be toast.

Edited by Moose Of Woe

How can you want to trade the guy who's played and gave everything he's got to our team away? One of the MANY things I love about our Colts franchise is we're one of the last franchises that actually respect their players and are loyal to our players. If you've given us everything you've got like Peyton has (and he's still not done) the Colts organization won't just throw you away. I know this is just a business but the Colts organization is still loyal. This thread is rediculous and should be closed.

Im a pure Colts fan Manning or no Manning but if they do some Bleeped up nonsense like that I would never pull for them ever again .....EVER! If not for Manning Colts fans would not have seen a fraction of the wins you have watched, much less a SB. I hope we have more class than that but the way we do things here nothing would shock me..............................unless we picked up a good FA in the off season that would be crazy.....or a good HC lmao

Edited by BOONE

Let me ask you a question? What do you think the market is for a 35 year-old QB who is coming off 3 recent neck surgeries and has a mega-contract? Let me asnwer that for you - not freaking much.

Secondly, the trading partners you mentioned - why would the Jets or Ravens have any interest in Manning? Even the Cowboys?

The Cowboys should be interested. They have a lot of talent, but they also have a QB who's going to screw it up when the game is on the line. Manning to Dez Bryant, Miles Austin and Jason Whitten is intriguing. However, like many have suggested, it would be insanity to attempt to trade the greatest QB of alltime.

Running Back was valued a lot higher back then, and Herschel Walker wasn't on his last legs. The Cowboys cashed in and loaded up.

No one is going to give us more than 2 or 3 picks for a 35 year old, recovering from surgery, highly paid quarterback. Even when he comes back and lights it up again, teams still wouldn't want to take that on, because they'd be mortgaging the farm for a stop-gap QB.

Running Back was valued a lot higher back then, and Herschel Walker wasn't on his last legs. The Cowboys cashed in and loaded up.

No one is going to give us more than 2 or 3 picks for a 35 year old, recovering from surgery, highly paid quarterback. Even when he comes back and lights it up again, teams still wouldn't want to take that on, because they'd be mortgaging the farm for a stop-gap QB.

You're an *

You're an *

Indeed, this whole concept in more idiodic than a couple of these people who believe in the whole

keep caldwell, trade manning.DAH.

The Cowboys should be interested. They have a lot of talent, but they also have a QB who's going to screw it up when the game is on the line. Manning to Dez Bryant, Miles Austin and Jason Whitten is intriguing. However, like many have suggested, it would be insanity to attempt to trade the greatest QB of alltime.

OK - say there is interest from the Cowboys (they aren't but let's say they are).

What would you think Dallas would be willing to give up to acquire Manning?

Completely agree. I have said this very thing several times in this thread. Those who believe that Manning would bring a wealth of high picks because he is Manning are completely overlooking the things you said. He is old, put together with duct tape and costs a boat load - who would give anything substantial in return for a QB with that current resume?